IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Head IT at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Very easy to scale, very reliable, and doesn't require a lot of dependancy once configured
  • "The solution is extremely stable. That's the most important aspect of the solution, for our organization. There is no downtime, and the performance is very good."
  • "I'd just like to see some more improvements done on the training, both on the functional training and technical training sides as a part of the complete solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a kind-of database for our workloads.

What is most valuable?

The solution is extremely stable. That's the most important aspect of the solution, for our organization. There is no downtime, and the performance is very good. You can upgrade and upscale without any downtime as well. It's excellent. The HANA appliance is certified and can be seamlessly implemented based on the HANA platform dependency. Everything works. On a daily basis, it runs extremely well. The pricing is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

I don't think that there is a feature that is lacking. It's quite good as a solution and we're pretty happy with most aspects of the product. I'd just like to see some more improvements done on the training, both on the functional training and technical training sides as a part of the complete solution.  Currently, training is assumed to be a separate part of the solution. You have to purchase it separately. This should be a part of the solution's mandatory requirements. Most of the time, people fail to purchase training, and they fall back on it afterward, during implementation, as they realize how crucial it is.

I've been using the solution for three years at this point. It's been a while.
SAP HANA
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about SAP HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very, very stable. It's reliable and its performance is excellent. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It runs all the time without issues.

You can easily scale this solution. In fact, you can scale it and upgrade it without ever experiencing any downtime. It's excellent in that sense. If an organization needs to expand it, they can do so with no issues whatsoever.

We have a dedicated support person from Cisco that assists us if we need any help. We also have a service level agreement. We're quite satisfied with the level of service. They are professional, knowledgeable, and responsive.

We had specialists that handled the implementation. We didn't handle it ourselves. It would be difficult to comment on the level of difficulty since we didn't manage the setup in-house.

We had specialists from OEM that took care of everything for us. We also had consultants from Cisco. They gave us initial assemblers until everything was scaled properly.

We're pretty happy with the pricing. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with SAP HANA. I'd rate the solution around nine out of ten. It's practically perfect. It's a great solution and I would recommend it. There's some configuration that needs to happen at the outset, however, after that, there isn't much dependency on the technical side, which makes it very user-friendly for companies.

Ali Mirnia - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Executive Officer at Redment
Stable, with very good technical support and easily scalable
  • "We've had good experiences with technical support."
  • "The solution is very expensive for us."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use SAP HANA for machine learning and deep learning.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The solution can scale well.

We've had good experiences with technical support.

The performance is excellent.

What needs improvement?

We use SAP HANA in our projects but it's very expensive for our projects. We need a relational database in-memory that can handle these issues.

The solution is very expensive for us.

It's hard for us to find test users and sometimes we need them to connect to SAP from Iran, however, this is an issue due to the sanctions against the country.

We've been using the solution for more than six years.

We've found the solution to be very, very stable, especially when you compare it to other solutions.

The solution can scale quite well. If a company needs to expand it so that it fits their growing needs, they can do so easily.

The technical support on offer is very good. We're quite satisfied with their level of service.

We tried GQ database but it's not a stable database. Sometimes the results weren't correct. SAP HANA is much more stable, which is why we use it, even though it's expensive.

The solution is very pricey. We're looking into other options because of this.

We're looking at Oracle products as an option right now. We're also looking at MAT-V, a CPU-based database it's very fast, however, we do occasionally face issues with it.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer. We don't have a professional relationship with SAP.

SAP HANA is not just a memory database, it's a big platform. It's a very, very safe database. It's a very safe database and the performance is very, very good for an in-memory database. For example, sometimes we use Oracle databases 18C or 19C. The data is in the memory, however, when data is running, it's very slow, due to the fact that all data is in the memory and you need to and go to write disk.

Sometimes when the data is very large, we might scale up our approach, and, in the scale-up approach, sometimes it is slow in HANA. That said, the scale-up approach is very, very good. SAP has got one problem. When you start the database, all data from the tool's memory takes a very long time. We've found that IBM's non-volatile memory is better than internal memory.  New users just need to be aware of that.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. The solution, overall, has fantastic performance, however, the cost makes it really hard for us to keep using it.

Private Cloud
SAP HANA
June 2022
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
David Mbugua - PeerSpot reviewer
Group General Manager-ICT at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
Unmatched performance, good security, and good traceability for audits
  • "The performance in terms of processing time is unmatched due to the in-memory processing capability."
  • "The product is very demanding on memory requirements."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP HANA as our primary database for our enterprise business. The product is centrally hosted where all our business departments access the product through its sister product SAP ERP.

The product hosts data for the deployed modules namely, Finance and Control (FICO), Materials Management (MM), Plant Maintenance (PM), Production Planning (PP), Quality Management (QM), Human Capital Management (HCM), and Sales and Distribution (SD).

It also hosts the business warehouse (BW)/BI environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The administration of the many records that were previously distributed in different systems into a central location has been made easier. All that information has been availed central from multi-locations without the requirement for manipulation using worksheets, as was the case before.

The database is also running our business warehouse and business intelligence environment, where insightful reports are generated for business management.

What is most valuable?

Security and performance are the two most valuable features. Our processing time came down to less than two hours from more than ten hours in the legacy system. We use the product to process our small-scale grower payments at the end of the month and whose daily tea deliveries records are in hundreds of thousands.

The audit trails in the HANA product are so robust that one can trace back to the tiny details of what happened at a particular time, who did it, and the time it was done. This makes auditing of both the transactions and performance of the product possible.

What needs improvement?

The product is very demanding on memory requirements. This is a result of it being an in-memory processing product. The choice of the hardware must be done carefully because when subject to other hardware, it gets slow and just crawls. Memory on the other hand is not cheap because you have to buy it from a third-party.

The cost of the database is not cheap either, as you have to pay for the runtime for any licenses that you purchase, and that comes each year. Now that is punitive with increasing license requirement.

We have been using SAP HANA for six years.

This is a very stable product.

SAP HANA is very scalable.

The customer service is excellent, whereas the technical support is not among the best but we managed.

We used another solution before this one and we switched due to data growth and the need for predictive management.

The initial setup is complex.

SAP itself assisted us with deployment.

Setup and licensing require planning and proper budgeting, as it is not cheap.

We evaluated products by Microsoft and Oracle.

Ali Mirnia - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Executive Officer at Redment
Excellent performance, scalable, and great for large-scale projects
  • "The performance is very, very good. It's one of the best aspects of the solution."
  • "There's an issue in the partition. When you record more than two million records, partitioning does not work well. In Oracle it's easy. SAP must resolve this issue in order to be more competitive with Oracle."

What is most valuable?

The memory capabilities are great.

I've used Oracle for ten years, and yet, I find SAP better than Oracle. Oracle is more cost-based.

What needs improvement?

Oracle tends to have better features than SAP HANA. They should work to add the kinds of features clients expect from Oracle.

With Oracle, you can install their cloud and that enables you to see more of the database and multiple accounts. This is better than what SAP has on offer.

SAP could really work on its monitoring capabilities.

There's data aging that needs to be dealt with on the solution. It's not ideal. You might have a lot of raw data and aging can really affect it.

It would be help if the solution had a graph database. They're lacking that right now.

There's an issue in the partition. When you record more than two million records, partitioning does not work well. In Oracle it's easy. SAP must resolve this issue in order to be more competitive with Oracle.

I've been using the solution for about five years at this point. It's been about half a decade.

The scalability of the solution is pretty good. We don't have any problems in that area.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. It wasn't that good. Sometimes the information we received from them wasn't accurate. It's a difficult solution. I would say, to be fair, that their support is better than Oracle's.

In the case of Oracle, I had an issue once with Oracle GoldenGate. It took two weeks to resolve the issue. That's far too long. SAP is much more responsive. It's never taken two weeks to resolve anything.

We also used Oracle. We find SAP to be very fast. It's much faster than Oracle.

The initial setup was five years ago, so it's been a while. However, I do recall it being straightforward. We typically install a version on Linux. While it can be difficult, at the moment, it's pretty good. Things have changed a bit, and they've improved the setup a bit. It's not really that unsimilar to Microsoft's SQL server.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with SAP.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

We use an on-premises version and e have a private cloud in our company.

I'd recommend the solution. If you have, for example, a huge project that's kind of a unique, scalable database I recommend SAP HANA for it. It's easy to use and handles more RAM.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Vice President at StarTek
Flexible processing, overall great functionality, and highly scalable
  • "The main feature is that the processes are very flexible, they are able to be adapted to the business and their departments."
  • "There could be better management for faster updates, last year there were some changes in India to the e-invoicing feature."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for database virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The main feature is that the processes are very flexible, they are able to be adapted to the business and their departments. The solution is very good and has covered all functional areas needed in this type of solution.

What needs improvement?

There could be better management for faster updates, last year there were some changes in India to the e-invoicing feature. During that time, there was a couple of updates that we had to wait until the release happened before we could do the implementation, this was a time we had to wait. They are pretty good at releasing updates but that time it was not the fastest.

I have been using the solution for a few months.

I have found the solution to be stable, it is very robust.

There is the ability to scale the solution by increasing capacity with no problem, it is very flexible. We have almost 34,000 users using the solution.

We had some issue with support in the past because they did not have enough availability. However, they have improved and now they are okay.

Since we have been using the solution before we did not have any issues with the install. There were not any major complex operations. However, there were some challenges but we had the full documentation with us and it was not a problem.

The price of the solution could be reduced, it is expensive. If they wanted to go into other industries and sectors the cost is on the higher side. They cannot go into each and every sector. If the cost was more reasonable, then it would be easy for them to enter more markets. This would be a disruptor in the industry because it would be used more often than other solutions, which would be good for the company.

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend this solution but at the same time, it is expensive. The cost will not be able to be afforded by everyone such as medium and small scale businesses.

I rate SAP HANA an eight out of ten.

Manager, Development, SAP Solutions at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Copes very well with high volumes and provides good integration
  • "The product handles high volumes very well and provides good integration."
  • "The SAP ERP processes are quite complex and it can be challenging."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to custom build features. We are customers of SAP HANA and I'm a solutions manager working for a retail company in Finland.

What is most valuable?

The product handles high volumes very well and provides good integration. HANA has great databases and we're able to have a lot of custom-built features. I think this is the best solution for us given our high file volumes.

What needs improvement?

The SAP ERP processes are quite complex for us and it's a challenge. I don't like the presentation layer tools on the analytics side, it's too complex. I'd like to see a consistent analytic system as those tools and their capabilities are not easy to select. An alternative could be for them to offer the option of access to other solutions.

I think the solution is relatively stable but in some cases, it can depend on the service provider and their capabilities. We handle about 40 promoters, all in Finland and dealing with high volumes. Our market set is very high here.

I think it is highly scalable but it comes at a financial cost. We currently have around 1,000 users.

We use the support when we need it but we have quite good capabilities ourselves. If we're having some challenges then it can take time to have them resolved or to find the root cause of the problem. We've had some ongoing challenges that have taken quite a while to resolve.

If you have some experience, the initial setup is quite easy.

We are always discussing ways to optimize memory usage and hence our licensing costs. The solution is quite expensive but we also get a lot of value-added because of the high level of integration. I think it's worth the money but it's a fine balance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SAP HANA solution for ERP but not necessarily for analytics. There is no other solution that can provide the value added that we get from SAP, despite the challenges.

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Narasimhan Jayavel - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Consultant at Emerging Alliance
Reliable with good dashboards and helpful technical support
  • "It's user-friendly so long as you use it frequently."
  • "It's a complex initial setup."

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is great.

It's user-friendly so long as you use it frequently.

The product is stable.

You can scale the solution.

Technical support has been good.

What needs improvement?

Some production features are lacking. For example, we cannot see any dashboards in the production department. The generation of reports needs to be better. We have sales reports and yet no production reports.

It's a complex initial setup.

It can be an expensive solution.

I've used the solution for six years.

The stability is very, very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is very good. It's very capable.

I've used technical support in the past. They are good.

I did not use a different solution. I use what my company uses in order to get reports.

The initial setup is difficult and complex. It's very complex compared to SQL, for example.

The initial deployment took 15 days, however, nowadays, it takes one or two days. Mostly, I can complete it in one day.

I'm a business consultant. I do implementations for various parts of my customers' organizations.

The licensing is typically chared yearly. It was rather expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We deploy the solution mostly on-premises and sometimes on the cloud. When we use the cloud, we usually use the AWS cloud.

I'd warn new users that it might be difficult the initial time they use it if they are changing their ERP, however,t it'll be very helpful in the future if they're using it frequently.

I'd rate the entire product an eight out of ten. There are other well-known ERPs, such as Salesforce, and companies expect to have the same features. However, not everything may be on SAP, and that's something they need to work on.

CEO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A feature-rich product that is easy to set up, stable, and scales well
  • "This is a feature-rich product and I like all of them."
  • "Technical support should be more customer-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are system implementers and we have many clients who use SAP HANA. Some examples of our customers are factories, hospitals, and other businesses.

What is most valuable?

This is a feature-rich product and I like all of them.

What needs improvement?

The price of this product should be reduced.

Technical support should be more customer-friendly.

We would like to see better CRM functionality in the future because there are other products that are better and more effective.

I have been using SAP HANA since they first launched the HANA database, several years ago.

This is a stable solution.

SAP HANA is scalable and we have a lot of clients who use this product. We have installed it for perhaps 15,000 users, and plan to increase our client base.

The technical support from SAP is medium. I'm not fully satisfied and it could be improved.

It isn't always a matter of them needing to being faster. Sometimes they cannot answer our questions, whereas other times, the answers come so late that we have already solved the problem.

We used to implement our own product that we had developed. However, after engaging with SAP, we substituted our own product for SAP HANA.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have a team of about 200 consultants who implement, deploy, and maintain solutions such as this one.

SAP HANA is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

SAP HANA is a good product and I can recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud