GennetJaadla - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager Estonian Government Cloud at State Infocommunication Foundation (RIKS)
High performance, knowledgeable support, and well integrated
  • "The solution is well integrated with other vendors."
  • "The process of migrating from old hardware to new could improve."

What is our primary use case?

The Cloud version of Nutanix Acropolis AOS is not available in Estonia. We used it for a simple bookkeeping system.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix Acropolis AOS has improved my organization because it has a fast delivery speed.

What is most valuable?

The solution is well integrated with other vendors.

What needs improvement?

The process of migrating from old hardware to new could improve.

Nutanix Cloud Infrastructure (NCI)
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Cloud Infrastructure (NCI). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Nutanix Acropolis AOS for approximately six years.

The solution is stable. On the customer's side, it was perfect, it was running very smooth without any issues.

The solution is being used in a large company and there are approximately 1,000 users using this solution.

I have had some interactions with the technical support from India remotely, and they were quite good and understood what they are doing. It is online support and it was good.

We have used other hyper-converged systems previously but there were some technical issues and the vendor did not take care of the solution well.

The initial setup was not complex. We built it for a five-year period and we will need to replace it with something similar when it is ten years old. It takes approximately one day to implement the solution and then you can use it.

We have one person from the seller side and a second person from the customer side for the deployment and maintenance of the solution. It's covered by Nutanix support too.

The price of the solution is expensive. However, the price to performance is good. The cost for development and installation is very low.

What other advice do I have?

It is very good to have an on-premise cloud system, it works well.

I rate Nutanix Acropolis AOS a ten out of ten.

Senior Manager -Datacenter Planning and Operations at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The maintenance software is straightforward but there are performance concerns
  • "The maintenance software is straightforward because you do not need to do any configuration."
  • "To have internal stability, we needed to network the solution ourselves. Performance depends on the application. Performance could be the lack of IOPS, memory and CPU and configuration issues."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the hyperconverged Cloud software and I manage Nutanix. I was responsible for the planning, management and the architecture. It was then given to the structural team.

We updated the internet software so when we migrated the workload we could compare from previous examples.

What needs improvement?

We are not going to increase our usage of Nutanix Solutions. We are migrating to the Cloud because of the cost.

We have been using it for about one month.

Stability depends on the type of application you are running. If you are running complex applications you should run them one at a time.

We have a Nutanix vendor that provides maintenance. We escalate to support if it is beyond the control of our in-house support team.

Our company already had a license for Nutanix so we wanted to us Nutanix Acropolis Solutions before any licensing costs.

It is not straightforward to install, you need to follow the installation steps. The installation took about one to two months to complete the entire process as it took workloads from our existing developer platform.

We have about 25 people managing the application deployment.

The installation was carried out by the vendor.

We did not require licenses because we already used Nutanix, so we only need to buy the software.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend certain applications but not this solution. There are certain limitations due to the lack of storage. If you need high performance, heavy applications you need to consider hardware and storage.

I would rate this solution a 6 out of 10.

Nutanix Cloud Infrastructure (NCI)
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Presales Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, supports multi-cloud integration, quick to deploy, and the support is responsive
  • "It supports multi-cloud integration that includes AWS, Google, and Azure."
  • "In the future, I would like to see integration with external storage using the fiber channel"

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and my role is in pre-sales. Nutanix Acropolis AOS is one of the products that I have experience with, and we propose to customers. It is part of the hyper-converged infrastructure.

Use cases include VDI, critical applications, and containerization.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix has many features.

It supports multi-cloud integration that includes AWS, Google, and Azure.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see integration with external storage using the fiber channel. As it is now, Nutanix can only integrate with external storage using the SCSI protocol.

We have been selling Nutanix Acropolis AOS for almost four years, since 2016.

This is a stable product.

In Indonesia, Nutanix is used by smaller companies.

Technical support from Nutanix is quite good.

We have experience with similar products from different vendors. This one is similar to the Cisco HyperFlex, but with different hardware. The Nutanix product is cheaper, more popular in Indonesia, and is used by smaller organizations. The customer support for Nutanix is better in terms of responsiveness and problem-solving.

The initial setup is straightforward and it takes about 45 minutes to deploy.

Nutanix is cheaper than Cisco HyperFlex, although it depends on the configuration because Nutanix can also be expensive.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this product is very mature, stable, and easy to use. It is a platform that I can recommend, although it is based on the requirements and needs of the customer.

Nutanix is a popular solution in Indonesia because it can only be used by SMB customers. Ultimately, after I look at the requirements, I decide what technology will best suit the customer.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

IT Infrastructure Manager at a retailer with 11-50 employees
Very stable and has good technical support
  • "Some of the most valuable features of Nutanix Acropolis are that it's free from Nutanix and it's very stable."
  • "The one note of improvement I have for Nutanix is that the installation should be easier."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Nutanix Acropolis for anything that I can't engineer in the environment, such as redundancy between the database servers and the clustering.

This solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The one note of improvement I have for Nutanix is that the installation should be easier.

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

This solution is very stable.

This solution is scalable.

In our organization, there are around 1,400 users of this solution.

Nutanix technical support is good. Whenever I contact Nutanix, they reply to me and solve my issue. I think that Nutanix support is better than the support of other companies—with a previous VMware solution, we were using it for three or four years, but when a problem came up, it took their support three months to resolve the issue. After that, we switched to Nutanix.

Nutanix is the third virtualization solution that I have used. We previously used a VMware solution. In comparison, Nutanix support is much better, but the installation process for VMware was easier.

The installation for Nutanix was not easy. We needed to do many interactive things in order to install it, and there were many controllers. You will need a technical engineer to help with installation. Installation takes about two days, maybe three days, maximum.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

We just have a support license for Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nutanix Acropolis a ten out of ten, and I would recommend Nutanix products to others.

Senior System Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Everything is centralized under one solution
  • "The HCI environment itself is very intuitive. Everything is centralized under one solution. And, they also have fast server built in in addition to a network analyzer."
  • "I would like them to update their licensing to provide more features with their basic license."

What is our primary use case?

Nutanix is a hypervisor for hardware and software that allows users to replace the three-tier environment (storage, network and compute) with a consolidated HCI. We provide our customers with Nutanix as a distributor.

How has it helped my organization?

Our environment is now consolidated into one solution. This makes it easier to get support because we no longer need to go to multiple vendors and can just have one point of contact.

What is most valuable?

The HCI environment itself is very intuitive. Everything is centralized under one solution. And, they also have a fast server built-in in addition to a network analyzer.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with the solution for three months.

I cannot say much, because it's fairly new. But, so far I would say it's good.

I would say any HCI can be easily scaled by adding more nodes.

Technical support could use some improvement.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Installment, configurations, and performing detailed network design takes about three weeks, depending on the complexity.

We assist our customers with the deployment and train their technical professional(s).

They offer multiple tier licensing which means that lower level licensing will have less features.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because I believe that HCI is the way to go as opposed to the three-tier environment. Plus, the solution has excellent architecture that is scalable, reliable, and easy to use.

Sizing your existing environment before moving forward is important because you want to ensure that Nutanix will improve your environment.

Ricardo Daniel Machuca Welcomme - PeerSpot reviewer
Coordinador Data Center at INFRAESTRUCTURA UNIFICADA SA DE CV
Great for data protection with good reliability and infrastructure support
  • "It offers very useful data protection."
  • "When we have issues with the solution, they tend to be around networking."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a strong foundation.

The support of the infrastructure is very good.

It offers very useful data protection. It's one of the best features.

We've had very few problems converting this solution with the iOS or virtual iOS.

The stability is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

When we have issues with the solution, they tend to be around networking.

When we tried to upgrade the LCM, we had issues around the process. When we refreshed the CVM of VM and restart the upgrade, the CVM would not start again. We needed to see the logs to see if we could figure out what happened and if there was something we could do.

We'd like to see a bit more integration with certain products, for example, Qlik, among others.

I've been using this solution for five years now.

I like the level of stability we get. It's a good product in that sense.

In some cases, the setup could be more simple. However, it's important to view the network process surrounding the customers as this is the first problem we face when we try to implement for the first time. Once you've gotten past the initial process, the other processes are simpler.

We have two to four people that can implement the solution.

What other advice do I have?

While all versions start as on-premises, and we mostly use on=premises, we do have one deployment on the cloud.

I'd advise potential new users to get a little bit of training before starting.

I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's been very good so far in terms of the level of capabilities on offer.

Sisir Ghosh - PeerSpot reviewer
Deputy Manager at CESC Ventures
Fair pricing, well-equipped customer support, scalable and plenty of tools

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of homegrown applications using the solutions within the generation and distribution within the company. These internal teams that develop that software, they are primarily on a different architecture. The ones we use are Java and Oracle with Weblogic as the application server and the other one used is Lan Stack. We have been using this configuration for more than 60 years.

What is most valuable?

The solution has single-window management, the ability to create VMs and monitor their usage on the fly, and the ability to add more resources if required. There are a lot of tools the solution comes with and the performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The ability to create clusters faster would be nice to see in a future release.

I have been using the solution for more than one year.

In terms of scalability, adding a number of nodes, I find that it will not be any issues. Upgrades are very easy, I can run compatibly check and then download the upgrades that are available. It is just a mouse click.

I have been quite happy with the support from Nutanix during the past year. They have well-equipped support staff always on the phone when I am in contact. They know my architecture, subjects that are important for me, and the staff is quite conversant with the tool that they use.

The implementation was straightforward and we are currently only using a fixed node cluster.

The pricing is fair for the package.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of the solution overall, there are positive responses from my side.

I rate Nutanix Acropolis AOS a nine out of ten.

Steffen Hornung - PeerSpot reviewer
Steffen HornungAdministrator at Neuberger Gebäudeautomation GmbH
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

These Must be the most oldschool applications out there of you have them since the roaring sixties!

But I think there is a typo, right?

Agree on support but your review is quite generic. Would comply with other solutions out there(vmware   with ops).

Dont feel the nine you are giving. Do you use other products too? Like Files, Karbon?

Please elaborate a bit more.

Presales Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fast technical support, stable, but scalability could improve

What is our primary use case?

We use Nutanix Acropolis AOS for compute virtualization. The main purpose was to replace FlexPod. The important problem we were trying to solve was to replicate between the two data centers. However, we encountered some issues.

I have been using Nutanix Acropolis AOS for approximately two years.

Nutanix Acropolis AOS has very good stability.

The scalability of the solution had some issues because there were many VMs and the replication ran into some bottlenecks. It was an issue that was known to Nutanix and it was not disclosed to the customer.

The support is very good, responsive, and helpful. Even with the issue we had,  where they did not disclose beforehand, they were very quick and helpful with fixing it.

I have used HPE SimpliVity previously and Nutanix Acropolis AOS is better.

We had a service provider do the implementation of the solution for us. They were able to do it quickly.

The amount of people needed for the deployment and maintenance depends on the size of the implementation. We had 30 or 40 hardware systems and they're servicing them with a team of six people.

Nutanix Acropolis AOS is affordable, it has good value. The final price depends a lot on the hardware used, it's an appliance in the end. Whether you use HPE as the hardware vendor or Supermicro as the hardware vendor, it really depends on what hardware is used which is the main cost.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nutanix Acropolis AOS a seven out of ten.

Download our free Nutanix Cloud Infrastructure (NCI) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022