We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Carlos Arturo Quiroga Quiroga
Digital Architecture Corporate Leader at Banco Pichincha
It integrates well with other tools in the software development process, like quality testing, documentation, and agile development.
  • "Azure DevOps' collaborative features are good, and it integrates well with other tools in the software development process, like quality testing, documentation, and agile development."
  • "I think Azure DevOps could improve the traceability or business intelligence about the execution of DevOps processes."

What is our primary use case?

We have separate DevOps processes for different teams. We're implementing agile processes, so we have cells for each product, and each cell has its own DevOps process. This means we have a DevOps process in GitHub, GitLab, and another tool. We have lots of costs and can't share experience between teams.

The idea was to unify everything in one product to ensure that we standardize DevOps practices on the same tool to have better knowledge and expertise and focus on a specific tool.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a lack of governance over DevOps processes, so we had some quality issues in the end when we released the software products. DevOps has helped to resolve those issues.

What is most valuable?

Azure DevOps' collaborative features are good, and it integrates well with other tools in the software development process, like quality testing, documentation, and agile development.

What needs improvement?

I think Azure DevOps could improve the traceability or business intelligence about the execution of DevOps processes.

I've been using DevOps for three years.

Azure DevOps is scalable.

We have good people with a lot of experience in DevOps, so it's not complex for us. The most significant difficulty in adopting the tool was changing our past processes to move to the standardization model we defined with Microsoft DevOps.

We have a yearly agreement with Microsoft to cover the different companies.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure DevOps nine out of 10. I would give it a perfect 10 if Microsoft offered personalized support. Sometimes we call Microsoft with requests, and it would be nice to have personalized processes with our specialized services.

We have two different approaches for products. One is to support products that we provide our customers. The other is creating a digital transformation strategy for new products. We are using DevOps in the latest products, and in the future, we are going to grow with support for products we have produced in the digital transformation. This is part of our roadmap to implement DevOps in all the processes in every technological area of our companies.

Assistant Director at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
A user-friendly Azure DevOps server with a great user interface, but the testing environment could be better.
  • "It has a good GUI, and it's very user-friendly."
  • "The testing environment and different pipelining concepts can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are exploring this solution. There is not enough protection in the environment at the moment. It's been almost six months since we started the process of exploring the DevOps environment in Microsoft Azure DevOps.

We have a customized development methodology so that it is easily marked to our existing environment. Currently, we required that all these systems blend easily in this one environment. We can actually use all the large frameworks within DevOps properly and automate most of our support, starting from planning through support to deployment.

What is most valuable?

It has a good GUI, and it's very user-friendly. It is also a familiar environment as we are used to it. All our users are very comfortable working with it. I think the Azure methodology and all those DevOps features in the dashboard are very effective in our environment.

It's very implementable in our environment compared to the other DevOps environments which we experienced. I won't name them, but this one part of DevOps we have found very easy in our environment because the infrastructure there is fairly supportive and very integrable to the current DevOps environment we use.

What needs improvement?

The testing environment and different pipelining concepts can be improved. It can also be more user-friendly. They can actually incorporate all those other features, current tools and have those mind maps.

They could add some good analytic features. I think they can be more enriched with some good reporting features. They can also improve the designing tools.

We have been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for about six months.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is a stable product. I feel it's stable enough for us at the moment.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's fairly straightforward. Other than the Java environment variables which lack documentation, it's not complex and easy to follow.

The main agile features are very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure DevOps a seven.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure DevOps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Release Engineer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Scalable, simple installation, but dashboards could improve
  • "The installation is straightforward. We can create a whole new organization in less than a day."
  • "The dashboards need bigger with better extensions and layouts. There isn't a workflow related to the statuses on the dashboard. It only lists the statuses. You can have one started, and once done, but everything in between is only in progress and could be in any order you want, it lacks flow."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure DevOps for our source control, change request management, and a small amount of Wiki.

How has it helped my organization?

Microsoft Azure DevOps has helped our organization from having completely automated builds. The developers can send their own code to QA without needing a release manager or lead or IT person moving the code over.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards need bigger with better extensions and layouts. There isn't a workflow related to the statuses on the dashboard. It only lists the statuses. You can have one started, and once done, but everything in between is only in progress and could be in any order you want, it lacks flow.

I have used Microsoft Azure DevOps for approximately one year.

Last week the builds did stop working for some unknown reason, and then started again. Most of the time the stability is fine, but there are occasions when there's a problem on Microsoft's side, where it creates problems for us.

The solution is scalable but you have to pay for it.

We have approximately 40 people using this solution consisting of developers, QAs, and product owners. We are extensively using this solution in our organization.

I wish the dashboards and the release process were integrated better. The use of Kanban dashboards could be a lot better. They don't have a Kanban dashboard. They have a dashboard with one sprint but it's not exactly the same as a Kanban dashboard. You are not able to do much with them.

We have not needed to contact the support.

The installation is straightforward. We can create a whole new organization in less than a day.

We did the implementation ourselves. I do most of the maintenance but it is mostly maintenance-free.

There are additional costs for some functionality, such as increased scalability.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is for them to do their research before implementing this solution.

I rate Microsoft Azure DevOps a seven out of ten.

MarcinNowak
Trainer at a training & coaching company with 51-200 employees
Effective pipeline creation, beneficial task management, and reliable
  • "Microsoft Azure DevOps has been very good for creating pipelines, and all the solutions for creating task management for developers and for the business."
  • "All of the tests of the applications are done on the mobile or web interface and it could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure DevOps for applications that analyze data and the data scientist creates the test data for the manual and automatic application tests. Here in Europe, we need anonymous synchronization of all data for testing.

We create special applications for creating data for direct tests.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Azure DevOps has been very good for creating pipelines, and all the solutions for creating task management for developers and for the business.

What needs improvement?

All of the tests of the applications are done on the mobile or web interface and it could be improved.

The connection to Power BI could improve. Power BI is a very good platform for reporting and presenting processes, but a good engine does not exist to present the process development in time in Power BI. It's a typical business reporting tool.

I have been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for approximately one year.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is highly stable.

There are two options to build. The first option is to build in the cloud, which is very stable but not quickly. The second is to build the systems in the local networks.

We have 5 to 10 people using this solution in my organization. We have three DevOps and the others are the QA cluster.

We do not use support from Microsoft, we have not had any problems.

The initial setup of this solution was complex. Every part of the implementation was difficult.

For us to implement our production it took approximately 10 to 20 sprints. One sprint is two weeks.

We require a three-person team for the maintenance and support of the solution.

The price of the solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

All people who work on projects must have good staff in development in .net, and need to have certificates. The minimal certificate is the AZ-204 Azure developer, it is obligatory.

I rate Microsoft Azure DevOps a nine out of ten.

VP (IT) at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
A very stable and scalable solution which seamlessly integrates all ends of the process
  • "The solution is good for everything, including end-to-end planning and its deployment and testing."
  • "The solution should have fewer updates."

What is our primary use case?

I do not recall which version we are using.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution is stable and that all ends of the process are integrated seamlessly into the tool. These are the solution's greatest strengths.

What needs improvement?

The solution should have fewer updates. We need the updates for July. Microsoft tools are sometimes too feature heavy and offer more features than the person actually needs to use. This is why I did not rate it as a ten out ten.

While the installation did seem to be pretty straightforward, I believe it took awhile, even though I am not aware of the specifics involved. We initially found ourselves struggling with this process.

I have been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for around two years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable.

I feel the technical support to be fine. We have not encountered any issues in this regard.

Prior to Microsoft Azure DevOps, we were using Jira and, before this, KFS.

While the installation did seem to be pretty straightforward, I believe it took awhile, even though I am not aware of the specifics involved. We struggled with this initially.

The installation was undertaken by a consultant.

There was a team of, perhaps, five engineers involved.

I am not aware of any licensing subscriptions for the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would very much recommend the solution to others.

I don't see the need for more integration with other platforms, as the solution is already pretty well integrated, at least, that is, for our needs.

I rate Microsoft Azure DevOps as a nine or ten out of ten.

Software Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly, has a powerful test manager, and the reporting capability is good
  • "Fields can be customized and the reporting is good."
  • "Proper Gantt charting should be a feature that is included because as it is now, we have to create it ourselves."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure DevOps for managing our workflow, as well as the CI/CD.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the CD/CD for all of our deployment lifecycles.

What is most valuable?

The CI/CD portal is very user-friendly.

The platform is very easy to manage. It is easy to manage repositories between the business users and corporate users.

Fields can be customized and the reporting is good. The APIs that are exposed can generate management reports.

The most valuable feature is the test manager.

Integration is easy to do. The single-sign-on facility is there in every aspect including Azure DevOps, Active Directory, our portals, and all of our development sites.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have an indicator of the percentage of occupancy. Suppose a person is working on two different domains, and we have 70% on one project with 30% on the other, it should be able to report that. As it is now, we have to manually enter that data. If this functionality were provided then it would make it easier for users.

We have been using Azure DevOps for the past two to two and a half years.

We have had issues, usually related to the APIs, but the support team has always helped us to resolve them.

The Microsoft support team is prompt to respond and very good.

The price is cheaper than Jira and some of the other competing tools.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and if the Gantt chart and occupancy reporting features are added then it will be the most powerful one in this space.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten

KulbhushanMayer
Cofounder & Senior Consultant at Thinknyx Technologies LLP
Easy to onboard and use, with complete integration between pipelines and testing
  • "The most valuable feature is the complete integration between test cases, pipelines, and issue management."
  • "The test management section needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and this is one of the tools that I use to help develop solutions for my clients.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The test management section needs to be improved. It is easy to use but they can make changes such that it is more comfortable for the users.

I would like to see a full-quality dashboard added. For example, if I am not using their pipeline then I would still like to see the dashboard available.

I have been using Azure DevOps for more than two years.

I have found it stable, so far.

This product is very scalable. I am currently using it for about 10 users and if I want to add more then I have to pay more money.

I have not yet been in a position where I needed technical support for this product. In the past, I have dealt with Microsoft's technical support for other products and I have found them to be fine.

I have also worked with similar tools such as GitLab, GitHub, Bitbucket, and then Jira.

Because I am a consultant, I work with multiple tools and the choice is that of my client.

I find that the pricing is good, and it is competitive with the other vendors in the market.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering Azure DevOps is that it is quite easy to onboard. It is a good product if you really want to work in a close-knit environment.

Senior Project Manager at a marketing services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good traceability and dependency-tracking features
  • "There are a lot of helpful features available for tracking dependencies."
  • "Improving the metrics that are readily available on the dashboard would be very helpful."

What is most valuable?

The key thing I find benefits me is the ability to track right from the feature and determine what has happened. I have a direct link to the test and the metrics that are available.

There are a lot of helpful features available for tracking dependencies.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard could be improved. Although there is flexibility in configuring it, there are some metrics that we have to configure ourselves. Improving the metrics that are readily available on the dashboard would be very helpful.

I would like to see better integration with third-party solutions, where if they are part of the DevOps pipeline then the reporting could be made available on the dashboard.

Having some form of check modeling integrated into Azure would be useful.

I have been using Azure DevOps for the past four years.

We have had no issues in terms of stability.

The offerings in terms of scalability are good.

We have not had to depend much on Microsoft support for DevOps and project management. However, I can say that the general support that we get for Azure is good.

I have some experience with Jira from Atlassian, although I have worked with Microsoft Team Foundation Server from the beginning.

The initial setup was straightforward. While we were migrating, we had training from Microsoft, which was helpful.

I haven't really looked into other options.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and one that I recommend. The features it has have helped us, especially with tracking dependencies.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Microsoft Azure DevOps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.