IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
DevOps Engineer at Babel Software
Great serverless technology that makes it quicker and faster to deploy .NET applications
  • "It's a pretty problem-free solution."
  • "When we don't have some permissions, we have to research how to get them."

What is our primary use case?

I use it to, for example, build applications. Not just Subnet - also Java or in OGS. I deploy Windows applications and also mobile applications with Visual Studio App Center and Azure DevOps.

What is most valuable?

Azure services like serverless technology make it quicker and faster to deploy .NET applications, for example. Similarly, the Azure Portal is faster to put in services, for example, with specific functionality. These kinds of features are faster to deploy and to put in functionalities that are specific, which is great.

I like the Azure keyboard. Keyboard permits use, for example, connection streams in secret, in a safe manner.

Sometimes I use also Azure SQL Database cloud, the serverless functionality. It's also very attractive because you can use something like a GP, like the protection of the data on the cloud. You can put a lot of information there, maybe not with banks, however, with other kinds of clients.

The ability to have cognitive services is good. For example, I use a lot of Azure DevOps, for example, Cloud, Azure DevOps Cloud, and analytics views with, for example, Power BI on-premise if you have Power BI as a service. There is a lot of pipeline potential with Azure DevOps deploying, for example, Containers, to Kubernetes, Azure Kubernetes Service, and also a lot of Azure Container repositories and Azure Container instances. This is great for quickly deploying SonarQube in a container. These kinds of things are very attractive.

It's a pretty problem-free solution.

What needs improvement?

When we don't have some permissions, we have to research how to get them. It's not obvious. For example, deploying in order to do the connections, we need permissions for quotes or quotas. A specific quota might depend on an account. Sometimes we don't have the kind of support we need to work things out easily.

When you deploy in Yaml Pilot, for example, you need to note in Yaml how to associate the piling, the release with the word items. We need more information about how this is possible and more flexibility to make it happen.

What other advice do I have?

My organization is a Microsoft partner.

I have Microsoft certifications. I always develop in Visual Studio, .NET, or Core, and now I work with Azure DevOps and also in Azure Portal.

I deployed in a hybrid environment as the clients have a lot of things on-premises. For example, the databases I use, for example, Redgate, plus Azure DevOps, or Apex with Azure DevOps, to deploy databases. In some cases, a lot of banks prefer their data on-premise. In other cases, I deploy to Azure App Services, for example, in the cloud. Also, I see things with Amazon Web Services and telephone, like multi-cloud.

I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten as it never gives me any problems.

Microsoft Azure DevOps
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure DevOps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.

SeniorOwnder67 - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner and Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Simple to use, numerous add-ons, and versatile work items, but user management is difficult.
  • "The work items option is incredibly flexible."
  • "When you compare with Jira, there is a lack of progress features."

What is our primary use case?

A common use case of Microsoft Azure DevOps is the use of work items and then connecting them to Git repositories and their updates. It is primarily used for item and code management.

What is most valuable?

The work items option is incredibly flexible.

There are multiple add-ons available.

It is easy to use.

The entry point is adequate.

What needs improvement?

When you compare with Jira, there is a lack of progress features.

I would like to be able to customize the product using add-ons or a similar mechanism.

Scalability is an area where they could advance and make changes.

Unfortunately, managing users in Azure is a very complicated issue. We also have a problem with one of their other tools, which is Teams. The Team messaging has caused us some trouble because they have what is called organization, in addition to the users, but it doesn't work very well.

Technical support needs improvement.

I would like to see scalability, dashboards, KPIs, measurements, and some visual management assistance improved in the next release.

I have been working with Microsoft Azure DevOps for one year.

We are using the latest version.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is a stable product.

This solution is used by 20 people in our organization.

It appears to be simple, but based on the work items and project management aspects, I believe there are few options for scaling it up in terms of dashboards and KPIs.

I contacted technical support about managing users in Azure. Unfortunately, they were able to resolve this issue for us.

We tried several times and we did not get the answer we expected to get.

I use Jira as well as TFS.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is simple to install.

Other than the initial setup, it does not require any maintenance.

It was implemented internally.

The majority of the components are reasonably priced. Testing is one of the more expensive components. When you compare it, it is approximately $3 per month for the other components and $45 or $50 for the Testing component. It costs ten times as much as the other components.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who may be interested in using it.

I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure DevOps
July 2022
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AsifSharif - PeerSpot reviewer
President & CEO at Modern Requirements
Fully integrated, good testing and can act as a single source of proof, excellent support
  • "The most valuable feature is that it's fully integrated, where we have a single place to do everything that we need."
  • "Requirements management is an area that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I used Azure DevOps for work item management, sprint planning, source code repository, continuous integration, continuous build, and continuous release. I build whole chains.

What is most valuable?

Testing is really good, it has come a long way.

It is the single source of proof or the single system of record that does everything you need, you don't have to put the different pieces together to form the whole chain.

We can do everything in one single platform, which is why it does a good job.

What needs improvement?

Requirements management is an area that can be improved.

Integration with Microsoft teams would be a good idea.

I have been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for five years.

It's stable. It's been pretty good, especially in the last two years.

There are no issues with scalability. We have approximately 50 people in our organization who are using it.

We have contacted technical support and they are excellent. I would rate them a nine out of ten.

I am using a mismatch of tools from HP and Atlassian, but they did not give us an integrated toolchain. Microsoft Azure does it exceptionally well.

It is reasonably straightforward, but it is only as straightforward as the problems that you are trying to solve.

If you are trying to set up the whole chain, then the problem is complex, and the solution has to be as equally complex.

The price is reasonable, but of course, you can find others that are cheaper such as Atlassian. But, if you look at the more serious products like Polarion, it's very competitive.

If you have good Microsoft programs, it's nearly free.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly recommend this product.

There are a lot of parts to the toolchain for DevOps, so take each area at a time. My advice is to take one step at a time, don't overdo it, and over time build out all of the capacity difficulties. Automation is also one of the biggest things.

Overall, it seems like a really good solution.

I would rate it a ten out of ten.

VaishnaviM - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Software Development Engineer at Publicis Sapient
Good for collaboration and has useful application insights
  • "Some of the most valuable features are the ease of use and the ability to monitor a lot of things. It has a lot of applications and facilities that meet all the developers' requirements. For example, we can use application insights to get an idea of our application's performance. Since it's cloud-based, it's really good for collaboration and working as a team."
  • "I can't think of anything I would like to improve, since I don't have complete knowledge of the platform yet. I'm sure that as I gain more experience, I will understand it better. The price could maybe be cheaper, but I'm sure I'll have more ideas as to improvements and additional features once I've used it more."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Azure is to host our web application. We used Azure SQL databases for our project and found it useful to host our web application and make use of all Azure's facilities, such as function apps, API management services, etc. This solution is cloud deployed.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything I would like to improve, since I don't have complete knowledge of the platform yet. I'm sure that as I gain more experience, I will understand it better. The price could maybe be cheaper, but I'm sure I'll have more ideas as to improvements and additional features once I've used it more.

I have been using this solution for about two months.

This solution is stable. From what I have used it for, it has been pretty efficient.

This solution is scalable. Most of my team uses Azure DevOps and other Azure facilities, so there are quite a lot of users.

I haven't felt the need to contact support. I'm not sure if any of my friends or colleagues have, but one thing about Microsoft is the documentation is extremely good. So we barely falter anywhere because if we thoroughly follow the documentation, it's pretty easy to follow the process through.

The installation is straightforward since it's cloud-based. You can do it yourself. For deployment, we were a team of about 20 people.

We implemented through an in-house team.

This product could maybe be cheaper. My organization handled licensing, so I'm not aware of which subscription they have.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product an eight-and-a-half or nine out of ten. I have partial knowledge about it, since I haven't really explored everything in proper elaborate detail, but I would definitely recommend Microsoft Azure DevOps to others considering implementation.

Project Manager at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Straightforward to set up with good test cases but need more project tracking features
  • "The pricing seems to be reasonable."
  • "I would like to see a bit more project tracking."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for specifications of the requirements, for example, or a user for research specifications. I'm also using it to build up test cases right now.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution is pretty good. It fulfills most of our requirements.

The stories and test cases on offer are great.

The initial setup was pretty self-explanatory. It was straightforward.

The pricing seems to be reasonable.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to add the capability for building live documents.

I would like to see a bit more project tracking. There should be more Kanban views. There maybe should be a few more reports. If the reporting was increased a bit, it would make it so that you can check a bit more information around the progress of the project. That would help with project management and progression.

I've been using the solution about twice a week for the last few months. It hasn't been that long and it's not a daily occurrence. In total, it's maybe only been two or three months.

So far, I've found the solution to be quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

We have about 3 people using the product currently in my company, and about 30 customers.

I've never had to contact technical support. We haven't faced any issues that would require us to. Therefore, I have not idea how they would be. I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are. At this point, I have no insights to share.

I have worked with other DevOps tools previously. I've worked with Jira and Polarion in the past. I haven't necessarily worked with them together or consecutively. It all depends on individual project requirements.

That said, I am not using Polarion anymore.

The initial setup was not overly complex. It was pretty straightforward. A company should have too much trouble with it.

The pricing of the solution seems to be pretty good. It doesn't strike me as being too high.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's been okay so far. We're satisfied with the solution overall.

Application Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A user-friendly DevOps server with a useful backlog item creation feature
  • "It's very user-friendly, and the documentation is good. The most valuable feature is backlog item creation, where we pick features and other things. The burndown chart created for projects to be maintained by the development teams is also useful."
  • "Integration and plugins for other tools could better. Like if you want to integrate the DevOps with other tools that are in the market. This could be for the engineering tools to check code quality, application security tools, and DevOps dashboard tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure DevOps to maintain our project. We create a project in a good DevOps, and then we add the backlog items. The product owner adds the backlog items, and then the development team. The repository is also built into that. We have a private Git report for the project. Under reports, we can create a repository for the big projects and maintain the source code.

Developers can commit and make a full request. For example, configure Jenkins, reconfigure Jenkins with the repository credentials, and then use it for linking. We don't use the pipeline available to us, and we use Jenkins for CSC.

How has it helped my organization?

In our organization, Microsoft Azure DevOps helps senior leadership go in and check the project status and how much effort has been put in by the development team. They can also pick, choose, and add features to be used by the development team. It's like a backlog management tool that helps improve and support projects.

What is most valuable?

It's very user-friendly, and the documentation is good. The most valuable feature is backlog item creation, where we pick features and other things. The burndown chart created for projects to be maintained by the development teams is also useful.

What needs improvement?

Integration and plugins for other tools could better. Like if you want to integrate the DevOps with other tools that are in the market. This could be for the engineering tools to check code quality, application security tools, and DevOps dashboard tools.

They could also make the implementation easier. The test plan also has basic features that are not user-friendly. It should also have integrations with test automation tools. We need a test plan, automation testing, and EA-based testing.

We have been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for more than four years.

We haven't got any issues with the technical support area.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

Licensing cost per user is approximately $11 to $15. We have about 400 users, but not all are active. We have around 200 to 300 active users.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to new users if it's a simple project. If you want JIRA, you'll need to have JIRA software for backlog management.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure DevOps an eight.

Microsoft Azure
National Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Good automation, perfect for agile approaches, and very scalable
  • "There are great automation tools."
  • "With Microsoft, I would prefer to have more test plans. It's very difficult to find individual test plan module training."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for more of an end-to-end pipeline.

What is most valuable?

The integration with the full end-to-end suite is great. The integration between the Kanban all the way through, including the traceability all the way through to the other end is very useful. You're able to test and you have your repositories and the ability to integrate with pipelines.

There are great automation tools.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is quite good.

What needs improvement?

Individually, the components and not quite as good as others in the market. For example, the DevOps test plan isn't quite as good as a Micro Focus ALM QC. That said, when you integrate it into that entire pipeline, it's better.

Microsoft initiates changes so quickly, it's hard to keep up. It would be helpful if there was more documentation and more training to go with all of the changes. Chris:

The solution is quite stable. It's pretty reliable. there aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is very scalable. It's easy to expand.

I've had no problems with technical support, however, I'll get put in the fast-track programs. I always get very fast responses.

I also use Micro Focus. For older style waterfall projects, it's best to go with Micro Focus probably, barring pricing and other consideration. However, in an agile environment, a Microsoft Azure-based product such as DevOps is great due to the pipeline and the whole integration end-to-end is just better.

I'm also familiar with Jira, which has better features in various areas. The problem is it moves so fast and new versions are always coming out and it can be hard to keep up.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementor. I work with a variety of clients.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's great for agile and we've been pretty happy with it as an end-to-end solution.

If you're moving into an agile CI/CD, DevOps is the way to go. If you're still thinking about old manual start testing, Micro Focus is probably the way to go. That said, more standalone manual testing is better supported by Micro Focus.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
Senior Software Engineer at Xylem
Stable, straightforward to set up and easy to use
  • "The installation is very straightforward."
  • "The price could be lowered. It would be nice if it was cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are using it for the continuous integration and continuous deployment of the CI/CD pipeline available for our projects.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very useful.

It's very easy to use and easy to navigate. It's a simple product to navigate.

The product is very stable; it's being used by quite a few organizations. We find it quite reliable.

The scalability, for now, is good for what we need.

The installation is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We haven't had too much time to really play with the solution and therefore it's difficult to really know if there's anything missing in terms of features. We need more time with it.

The price could be lowered. It would be nice if it was cheaper.

I started using the solution a few months ago. It's been about a year or so. We have not used the product for that long just yet.

The product is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable in terms of performance.

The solution is scalable, at least for our purposes. We haven't run into any issues.

We have about 1,000 users on the solution currently.

The forums that are available to users are quite helpful and have a lot of information. It helps us troubleshoot very well. We don't usually call anyone directly.

We did not use a different solution before using this product.

The product is very straightforward to set up.

The deployment is fast as well. It only took us about 10 to 15 minutes to have everything up and running.

I handled the installation myself. I did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator. It was handled in-house.

It would be nice if the licensing was a bit cheaper.

Our IT team looks after that aspect. I don't deal with tasks such as licensing and payments directly.

We did not evaluate other solutions before deciding on this product.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. So far, we've been very pleased with its capabilities.

Download our free Microsoft Azure DevOps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022