IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Service Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
All-flash storage solution with good stability, higher storage capacity, and better ROI
  • "HPE Primera is an all-flash storage product that's very stable and has a higher storage capacity. It can also give better ROI compared to NetApp."
  • "Increasing the IOPS and throughput values would make the product even better. Improving the scalability of HPE Primera is also recommended."

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE Primera for all our storage requirements.

What is most valuable?

What we like most about HPE Primera is that it's an all-flash storage solution, and it's a new generation of storage.

What needs improvement?

I'm very satisfied with HPE Primera, so I can't think of an area for improvement, but if they could increase the value of the IOPS and the throughput, that would be good.

I've been using HPE Primera for two years.
HPE Primera
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about HPE Primera. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.

HPE Primera is a very stable product. We don't have any issues with it.

HPE Primera is scalable, it covers our needs, but if our needs are too big, the support or expansion is limited. Its scalability could still be improved.

On a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and five being the best, I would rate the technical support for HPE Primera a five. I'm very happy with their support.

We previously used NetApp. We switched to HPE Primera because it's a new generation of storage, so we preferred it over NetApp.

The initial setup for HPE Primera was easy for me, because an HPE engineer installed and configured it, but I'm not sure if setting it up was easy for the engineer.

We used a third-party to deploy the product, an HPE engineer.

The ROI for HPE Primera is good. I'm happy with it because it's an all-flash array solution, and there's this huge capacity of SSD all-flash disks. Electricity expenses for HPE Primera are lower, and its storage capacity is higher. Its ROI is better than the ROI we got from NetApp.

I don't know the licensing cost of the product because we ordered all bundled licenses, so I don't have pricing information for them.

I evaluated Pure Storage Flash Array and NetApp.

What other advice do I have?

I used Pure Storage Flash Array in the past, but our current customer uses HPE Primera for storage. The maintenance of HPE Primera doesn't require staff, but we had one engineer who took care of its installation and configuration. I'm rating HPE Primera nine out of ten.

Associate Vice President - IT at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Storage guranteed uptime is 100% and Data avilability is 100%. Other brands give a guranteed uptime of 99.999%
  • "The most important thing that we had found when we purchased this product around six months back was its 100% availability and uptime."
  • "One of the drawbacks of the model we purchased is that it is not running NVMe drives. Even though they say that it is NVMe-ready, it is still on the SSD drives. The model that we purchased has only eight hard drives, and only the ones on the top could work on NVMe. The rest of them are still on the SSD. Its competitors, such as EMC and Pure Storage, are moving or have already moved to NVMe. HPE should improve this solution for NVMe. HPE should also improve IOs in this solution. IOs in HPE are weaker than Hitachi and Pure Storage."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for databases and application VMs. We are using the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing that we had found when we purchased this product around six months back was its 100% availability and uptime.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost six months.

It is stable.

It is scalable, but we haven't scaled it. We purchased it with the required capacity, and it will suffice for our needs for the next couple of years. We have 2,000 plus users who access this Primera storage through applications.

We haven't contacted their technical support. We didn't have any issues since we purchased it.

We used Hitachi G200 and HPE 3PAR for two or three years. Both these models are a minimum of six or seven years old. The main difference is that HPE Primera is on SSD. IOs in HPE are weaker than Hitachi and Pure Storage.

It wasn't simple, but it also wasn't so complex.

It was implemented by HPE. Even though we have got the Proactive Care warranty, it currently doesn't require any maintenance. We have just two admins.

It is basically in the mid-range of the price. It is not cheaper than Hitachi, but it is cheaper than Pure Storage. There are no additional costs. Everything was taken care of in the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it depends on the use cases for which you want to use the storage device.

I would rate HPE Primera an eight out of ten.

HPE Primera
June 2022
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jiju Gopinath - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Vice President, IT Infrastructure at Kamco Invest
It lets you mix and match all-Flash drives plus NVM drives
  • "Primera's main advantage is its support for NVM drives and normal flash drives. It has some sort of AI analysis that automatically tells us how to optimize the performance."
  • "The IOPS and throughput could be better. That's the only drawback compared to other vendors."

What is our primary use case?

Primera is a storage system that lets you mix and match All-Flash drives plus NVM drives. Most of the servers are hosted on Primera, so about 100 users are using this.

What is most valuable?

Primera's main advantage is its support for NVM drives and normal flash drives. It has some sort of AI analysis that automatically tells us how to optimize the performance.

What needs improvement?

The IOPS and throughput could be better. That's the only drawback compared to other vendors.

I've been using Primera for about six months.

Primera has been highly reliable so far, and HPE is offering a 100 percent availability.

You can add enclosures to Primera, so it's really scalable to any extent.

We used EMC Unity and HPE 3PAR in the past.

Setting up Primera was straightforward and took about two days. Once it's set up, you need only one storage specialist to manage the solution.

You need support from a vendor or at least an HP reseller.

What other advice do I have?

I rate HPE Primera eight out of 10. I would recommend Primera if price is an issue. However, if you have the budget, you might consider a new HPE storage product called Alletra. That has better IOPS, and it's entirely NVM, which performs better, especially for database loads.

CTO at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good support, straightforward to deploy, and good storage performance

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as our SAN solution. It hosts non-critical applications and related data.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the speed of our on-premises storage. The IO is now very fast.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

We cannot use this storage for critical applications and data.

We have been using HPE Primera for several months.

The warranty guarantees 100% stability.

We have space for perhaps 15 administrators, who manage between 600 and 800 end-users.

The HPE GreenLake support is great.

We only use HPE products.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The deployment process was easy and it took between three and four months to complete.

We implemented this product in-house.

Licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis and the cost of GreenLake service is included. I don't mind these fees because the service is good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
High performance, excellent scalability, and responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

One of our customers is using a Telco system and they are using Primera for storage. There are customers who ask for cloud infrastructure which they are providing.

What is most valuable?

The performance of the solution is good.

I have been using the solution for approximately one year.

The solution is stable and the performance is good.

HPE Primera is highly scalable.

We have one customer for this solution.

HPE Primera's technical support has been responsive.

HPE does the installation for us and it took approximately two hours.

We used HPE to do the full implementation of the solution.

We have two engineers for the maintenance of the solution.

There is only a one-time license purchase needed and no additional costs.

If HP could reduce the training cost, then that would be advantageous to the seller.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a tier zero solution with high performance.

I rate HPE Primera a nine out of ten.

MayankChauhan - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Consultant - Cloud & Infrastructure Services at Infosys
All-flash system that gives amazing data access speed
  • "The most valuable feature is an all-flash system, which means the data access speed is amazing while the latency is almost nothing, and it can deliver IOPS up to 16,000."
  • "There are certain features that require engineering-level access, which should be accessible to storage admins as well."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of Primera is as a storage solution for a huge conglomerate with multiple critical businesses including banks, airlines, and retail chains.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement is how the product gets integrated with the technical support and how cases are raised. There are also certain features that require engineering-level access, which should be accessible to storage admins as well. In the next release, I'd like to see support for external KMS (key management system) because some organizations want encryption based on their encryption appliances or methodology.

Primera is quite stable.

The technical support is very good and very effective in resolving any problems.

The initial setup was quite straightforward - everything went very smoothly, it took a few hours, and I didn't face a single issue with implementation.

Our implementation was done by HPE consultants.

What other advice do I have?

I would give this solution a rating of nine out of ten.

Rohit  Udalagama - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Lanka Communication Services (Pvt) Ltd.
Good support, low maintenance, but performance could improve
  • "When taking into account the price, maintenance required, and performance of HPE Primera, it is an effective solution."
  • "The solution has good performance but it could improve further."

What is our primary use case?

HPE Primera is used to expand our VMware Cloud Service.

What is most valuable?

When taking into account the price, maintenance required, and performance of HPE Primera, it is an effective solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution has good performance but it could improve further.

When we compare HPE Primera to Huawei, Huawei is a better solution. However, here in Sri Lanka, the support is not that good for Huawei.

I have been using HPE Primera for one and a half years.

HPE Primera has been stable in our usage. It has been working for almost two years without any problems.

The solution is scalable.

The support of HPE Primera is good.

HPE Primera service is cost-effective.

During our evaluation of solutions, such as Huawei, we found most of the equipment is the same. We chose HPE Primera because it was priced well.

What other advice do I have?

I rate HPE Primera a seven out of ten.

Ehab Hosni - PeerSpot reviewer
HPE Team Leader for Servers & Storage at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
High availability and integrates well

What is our primary use case?

HPE Primera is being used for server virtualization and critical applications. We have customers in Egypt and they use it for a billing system and an infrastructure database system.

What is most valuable?

HPE Primera has good integration. All the users are using HP servers and some systems, such as Synergy, which integrate well into the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution could prove the reporting.

I have been using HPE Primera for approximately nine years.

HPE Primera has high availability and is stable.

The solution is scalable.

The price of HPE Primera could improve, it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

HPE Primera is useful for banking systems.

I rate HPE Primera a nine out of ten.

Download our free HPE Primera Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022