IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Managing Enterprise Architect Individual Contributor at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Good visibility, user-friendly, and has helpful technical support
  • "Having OneAgent is the most valuable feature of Dyantrace, as well as the monitoring."
  • "I believe that something related to IoT devices should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

It tells me everything I need to know. It tells me what the transactions are. The AI provides you with advancements or degradations in what is happening.  It gives me visibility into everything, from transactional logs to services and processes to the OneAgent installed on the box, which tells me it's talking to systems that are in development and it shouldn't be.

How has it helped my organization?

The most important takeaway is simply the compute. Simply understanding how much, or, the resource adoption across the board. Back in the day, for example, I would need 128 gigs of RAM to run SQL. You don't need that any longer. Having the performance and true metrics of what's going on, as well as scaling your environment to its optimal performance.

What is most valuable?

Dynatrace works perfectly. Having OneAgent is the most valuable feature of Dyantrace, as well as the monitoring. What is web interaction as it relates to Synergy, or when it comes to using web-based, phone-based, or apps published on end-user devices, it's fantastic in terms of performance, and code. Even if you run the release and discover that the update you just released is causing a degradation in performance, auto-release will restore the old code without missing a beat.

What needs improvement?

I believe that something related to IoT devices should be improved.
Dynatrace
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Dynatrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Dynatrace since 2018. It's been four and a half years. We are using both a SaaS and an on-premises version. It is both on-premises and hybrid. They are hosted by Google, Microsoft Azure, as well as AWS.

Dynatrace is a stable solution. It's rock solid. We have never had an issue.

Dynatrace is scalable. I would rate it a nine out of ten. We have an application, management, and support teams looking into things. We have our help desk and service desk looking at various dashboards. Certain dashboards are being examined by our developers. It is frequently used by between 60 and 80 people. I believe we are currently using all of the functions and features. It's operational, it's production, it's living and breathing.

I would rate the technical support a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We were looking at Dynatrace at the time, and then there was AppDynamics or something like that, I believe, which Cisco eventually purchased. Dynatrace's maturity level at the time far outstripped that of anything else on the market. In 2018 it was a superior product.

The initial setup is straightforward. I'll be up and monitoring in four hours. The on-premises installation was a little more difficult due to network firewalls and so on. Overall, it went well. This solution can be deployed and maintained by four people.

For us, the most important thing was to get OneAgent out everywhere. Once we had the OneAgent in place, we began building out, and understanding what applications are present, and start developing the monitoring aspects. Not just from conventional RAM CPU calculations, but truly looking at the applications, and examining the Java functions, as well as the MongoDB functions. Having all of that information and being able to create dashboards to communicate it not only to the higher-ups but also to the developers doing the development, who must understand that they must be very smart with their code. We are a consulting company. Within our organization, we have a Dynatrace division. However, for this installation, in particular, we collaborated with Dynatrace on product implementation.

We saw a return on investment. The downtime has been reduced, which is significant in and of itself. I would rate the return on investment a five out of five.

I am not aware of the licensing fees.

We evaluated AppDynamics.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend following the instructions. It's easy to understand. Nothing is very perfect. I would rate Dynatrace a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Google
Dynatrace Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Straightforward to set up with good stability
  • "I find that the AI on offer is useful, as it's good at identifying problems. You do need a bit of customizing, however, even in its sort of vanilla form, it's pretty good at identifying problems and the root causes of those problems and whatnot."
  • "We'd like it to be more user-friendly, which, in our case, might be a big ask as we have a fairly complex environment."

What is our primary use case?

The company uses it for a lot of things. Obviously, we're using it mostly for application monitoring, and that covers both application performance and availability. We're using it for checking how things are performing and making sure that they're running and running properly and there aren't errors or issues. That would be the main thing.

We're also using it to monitor servers, do some infrastructure monitoring, make sure there're enough servers are running and that they've got available disc space for monitoring CPU and memory, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

I find that the AI on offer is useful, as it's good at identifying problems. You do need a bit of customizing, however, even in its sort of vanilla form, it's pretty good at identifying problems and the root causes of those problems and whatnot.

The installation process is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

They're generally going in the right direction and they're quite responsive to feedback. You can vote on features and whatnot. If enough people vote for a feature, they'll get it put in.

The solution could be more seamless. The user interface could be better and they could offer more integration.

How long I've used the product depends on which version you would classify as the product. The current one, under this name, has only been out maybe three or four years. However, I also used the older version before that, and that was something called AppMon. Therefore, I've used it for a while at this point.

The solution has been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I can't really comment on the scalability as we're in a relatively small environment. We don't have a massive number of servers on-site. I am aware of people that run it in massive environments, however, I can't make a comment on what it's like as our site is fairly small.

We might have ten or so active users.

Technical support is very good and very responsive. We're quite satisfied with the level of service on offer.

Before Dynatrace there was another Dynatrace product called AppMon. Before that, we used to use the company's own solution.

The initial setup is easy and pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex.

The main issue is that, due to the fact that it covers so much space, the navigation can be long-winded. It can take a lot of clicks to get into where you want to go, however, it's covering a lot of information.

On the site that I'm on, on the Dynatrace site, there's really just me that's doing the technical side of Dynatrace. I'm the one that's keeping Dynatrace itself running and whatnot. That said, even in bigger environments, there's probably only one or two people that are looking after Dynatrace itself. It's really solid in that regard.

I don't really get involved in the commercial side of things and therefore cannot speak to the aspect of licensing, such as pricing. We might be on a three-year contract that gets renewed.

What other advice do I have?

While my organization is a reseller of Dynatrace, I actually also work on it myself.

While the deployment model that we're using is on-premises, there is a cloud-based version of it as well.

We're always using the latest version of the solution. It gets updated automatically, and therefore it's pretty much the latest version.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

I would recommend Dynatrace to others who are looking into implementing it.

Dynatrace
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sales Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scales well and automates all our end-to-end monitoring processes
  • "Dynatrace is heavily automated which is a big advantage. You don't have to configure a lot, it installs and it runs straight away. There's direct return on investment and you can focus on more interesting stuff than always have to configure and change the configurations. Issues or problems in detection is also fully automated, which is great."
  • "I think they're working on even more integration from external third party input, but that is ongoing. So the faster it's there the better. Clock monitoring is one of these areas where improvements can be made."

What is our primary use case?

Our major use case for Dynatrace is end-to-end performance monitoring and other types of monitoring for business transactions, commerce transactions, websites, and so on. We have about five to twenty users, though their usage depends on a few different factors. Some users make intense use of Dynatrace while others use it on a less frequent basis.

I use the managed version of Dynatrace, which means that it is deployed like a cloud solution but our data is stored on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

Dynatrace monitoring is highly automated, enabling us to focus on more interesting things than having to maintain and configure everything all the time.

What is most valuable?

Dynatrace is heavily automated which is a big advantage. You don't have to configure a lot, it installs and it runs straight away. There's direct return on investment and you can focus on more interesting stuff than always have to configure and change the configurations. Issues or problems in detection is also fully automated, which is great.

What needs improvement?

I think they're working on even more integration from external third-party input, but that is ongoing. So the faster it's there the better. Clock monitoring is one of these areas where improvements can be made.

Another thing is that, although the cost for Dynatrace has great return on investment, it could be cheaper.

I have been using Dynatrace for almost two years now.

I think it's a stable solution.

Dynatrace is very scalable. With our recent experience in terms of scaling, I believe the limit goes up to 100,000 agents in total that can be deployed.

Support is great. You can go by email and things, but also by chat. There's a chat functionality inside of the product, where you can open tickets for support problems and things like that.

Today, for me, Dynatrace is a winner over IBM ITCAM. For ITCAM, within IBM, I don't believe that they make a lot of investments anymore in that area as they're focusing on other areas. They're going with Cloud Paks now. Cloud Paks for this and Cloud Paks for that. So the Tivoli brand within IBM is in a censored mode, I would call it. It was a really good product years ago, but today it's not up to date anymore.

Setup is super easy. The SaaS version is, of course, the easiest to deploy. You don't have to do anything except install the agents. And that's quite simple, you just go to a webpage, you download and you click and it automatically connects. And it does everything for you.

If you go for the managed version, then you have to first see about hardware, by doing your homework for hardware requirements and things like that. But even then, it's quite straightforward.

You can easily implement Dynatrace by yourself. For us, it took about half a day to a day to do the whole installation and set it all up.

Because Dynatrace is so heavily automated, there is very little that you have to do to install and maintain it. With this fact, there's a lot of return on investment because we can now focus on more interesting activities rather than having to constantly change configurations.

There is a license cost, which is obviously more expensive than an open-source solution, but for the return on investment from what you get from it, it's a great investment. Of course, it could always be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I will continue using Dynatrace and I can confidently recommend it to others.

I would rate Dynatrace a nine out of ten.

AndreCosta - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Engineer Manager at Creditas
Very easy deployment with good dashboards and helpful technical support
  • "The deployment itself is very easy and straightforward."
  • "The pricing of the product could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have some states that use the solution for the whole monitoring of their infrastructure. It's used largely in the main court, state courts, and federal courts.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is the most useful aspect of the solution.

The deployment itself is very easy and straightforward. You can do the deployment in a transparent mode for the applications and containers and it's a very simple operation.

The solution's interface is good.

We haven't had any issues with support.

The solution offers capable configuration options.

The solution offers integration with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product could be improved. It's still very expensive compared to other solutions, although it is the best one. Even being the best, it could improve the price or the business model. There should be more flexible ways of charging the customer. They could have more price models and more options.

I've been working with the product for about three years already.

Up until now, the stability of the product has been okay. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable in terms of performance.

The solution scales well. It's one of the most scalable options. If a company requires a solution that can expand, this is a good option.

We use it for organizations with 6,000-7,000 employees.

These are pretty new implementations. Therefore, up until now, there is no demand for my customers to scale or expand. However, I do believe that in two or three years they will definitely need to.

The technical support is quite good. There is also very good documentation on the solution if you need it. Overall, we've been quite satisfied with the level of service we've been provided.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's nice and easy. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process.

While it depends on the use case, in four to six hours we can typically do a deployment.

Typically, staff or three or four resources is enough in order to handle the deployment and maintenance of Dynatrace.

As implementors, we can handle the installation for clients if they require it.

The pricing could be less expensive, although I do see the value of the solution and its feature sets. However, with more flexibility in terms of licensing, the solution could be more attractive to more customers.

Our clients also evaluated AppDynamics from Cisco.

The main difference was the implementation and the end-to-end management for the monitoring, including the simple way to find and do the correlation of some issues, such as identifying calls and making correlations through their monitoring system. This is the biggest advantage nowadays that customers can see from Dynatrace as opposed to AppDynamics.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners and implementors.

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

I'd advise others to plan the requirements well and be aware of integrations that could be more complex. Training the operational team well is also important. With a good operation team, you can take advantage of the tool in many ways.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a nine.

Cloud Solution Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Best support, reports anything that goes outside of a baseline figure, and tells you that something is going to break before it actually breaks
  • "The Davis artificial intelligence built-in program is valuable. It keeps all the information about the systems, connections, service calls, and requests in its database. It looks at response times and keeps everything in check with baseline figures. If anything goes outside of that baseline, it reports based on that. If the performance starts degrading, it reports on that. Before something breaks, it tells you that it is going to break, and that's the most useful feature of Dynatrace."
  • "It is useful for analytics, web performance, end-to-end coverage of a user experience, and database analytics. It is absolutely a monitoring tool that is worth having. The visibility that it provides is a unique feature of this product."
  • "Its price, for sure, should be improved. Its price is quite high. Other than the price, there are always improvements to be made as technologies change. When we move into cloud-based technologies, Dynatrace will also have to adapt so that they can monitor those as well. It should have the adaptability to quickly transform to monitor those new technologies."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dynatrace as an analytics and monitoring tool. It is on-premise at the moment. We're looking at using the cloud-based one in the next year or so. We're in the process of migrating over to the cloud-based one.

What is most valuable?

The Davis artificial intelligence built-in program is valuable. It keeps all the information about the systems, connections, service calls, and requests in its database. It looks at response times and keeps everything in check with baseline figures. If anything goes outside of that baseline, it reports based on that. If the performance starts degrading, it reports on that. Before something breaks, it tells you that it is going to break, and that's the most useful feature of Dynatrace.

It is useful for analytics, web performance, end-to-end coverage of a user experience, and database analytics. It is absolutely a monitoring tool that is worth having. The visibility that it provides is a unique feature of this product.

What needs improvement?

Its price, for sure, should be improved. Its price is quite high. Other than the price, there are always improvements to be made as technologies change. When we move into cloud-based technologies, Dynatrace will also have to adapt so that they can monitor those as well. It should have the adaptability to quickly transform to monitor those new technologies.

I have been using Dynatrace for the last six years.

Currently, we have around 2,000 to 3,000 users. It is very extensively used. We are covering all our production systems and major revenue systems with Dynatrace. It is our primary monitoring system.

Their technical support is brilliant. They are online 24/7. You go into a chat window, and you talk to their support people. They can connect directly with your system and monitor it. They even tell you if something is wrong. It is the best support that I've ever had on any monitoring system. It is not just you monitoring it; it is them monitoring it as well at the same time.

Its installation is extremely easy. You just install an agent on the server. You can just follow the default installation. As long as you've got your system set up and your architecture set up to connect those agents into your Dynatrace cluster, everything is done within minutes.

I do it by myself. I'm a systems administrator. I take care of its deployment and maintenance. I build the system, and I connect the system to other systems. Any user who is trained on how to do it will also be able to do it.

Its price is quite high. Although it is worth it, it would be better if its price is reduced.

They base their prices around licensing. Their prices are based on agent licensing and consumption licensing. Both of these can be a bit cheaper, but if they are the best in the market, as I consider them to be, I assume that their prices will be higher. They are delivering the product for that price.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. There is no better product on the market.

I love Dynatrace. I might be biased, but I would give it a nine out of ten.

Julius Loman - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Collects good amount of data, very easy to deploy, and scalable in any direction
  • "The most valuable features are ease of deployment, UI, and collected data. Its deployment is really easy. In just a few hours, you can have a very good outcome, and you can see everything, which is very valuable. It collects a good amount of data."
  • "The licensing part is complicated or not transparent. It is very difficult to assess the number of licenses for a prospect. You have to do a PoC, and calculating the number of licenses for two years or three years is sometimes very difficult. It also depends on each case. There are multiple types of licenses. Sometimes, you need only one of them, and sometimes, you need all of them. This is an area for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Dynatrace does application and platform diagnostics and monitoring and user experience management. Typically, in our region, we are seeing a lack of deep application platform management tools because most of the customers in our region don't use those tools.

We are using Dynatrace Managed and Dynatrace SaaS. It is the new Dynatrace. They had a legacy product called AppMon, but nobody is using that now.

Our customers mostly have on-prem deployments. In terms of the version, I always use its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of deployment, UI, and collected data. Its deployment is really easy. In just a few hours, you can have a very good outcome, and you can see everything, which is very valuable. It collects a good amount of data.

It is one of the most easily deployed monitoring products that I have seen in terms of scalability and installation. In 60 minutes, it is installed, and if you want to scale it, there are no issues. You just add another node, and in 15 minutes, it is done.

It is very stable. Our customers didn't have any issues with it in the last four to five years.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for five years.  I'm a certified professional for Dynatrace, and I work for a Dynatrace partner in Europe.

Its stability is awesome and perfect. It is much better than the competitors that we have evaluated.

Its scalability is awesome. It is really easy to scale in any direction. For SaaS, you don't have to think about scalability, and for on-prem, it is very easy.

It is mostly on-prem, and we have the largest US companies as our customers. The largest deployment has 200 to 300 users. They are not concurrent users.

Their support is awesome. I get valuable answers from their support for all my tickets.

I mainly have experience with IBM products. We stopped partnering with IBM because it was not suitable for this market. IBM is ten years behind Dynatrace. You can't compare them.

Its deployment is really easy. It is one of the most easily deployed monitoring products.

Its maintenance is minimal. I worked with competitive products for more than 15 years. So, I can compare them. With Dynatrace, one agent is required. From time to time, there are issues that are typically very specific to the monitored environment. We have customers who have been using all the updates of all the agents for five years, and they have had no issues. Typically, when we have an issue in one of our environments, it is tied to the monitored application platform. We had no issues with Dynatrace.

Its licensing is complicated or not transparent.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely give it a nine out of 10.

Sr.Tech.Analyst Monitoreo at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows you to discover all libraries and technologies that exist on the market today
  • "The solution can be deployed quickly on-prem. Once it's deployed, you can use discovery and review the process and service on this application."
  • "It would help if Dynatrace allowed more features that work with metrics like Grafana or New Relic."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in server monitoring, application monitoring, and roam and synthetic monitoring. We have 1,000 Dynatrace users in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The solution can be deployed quickly on-prem. Once it's deployed, you can use discovery and review the process and service on this application.

What needs improvement?

Dynatrace would be closer to a perfect tool if it could bring an interface similar to a standard for metrics like Prometheus and Grafana, New Relic, and Datadog, and the way they present these panels. It would help if Dynatrace allowed more features that work with metrics like Grafana or New Relic because the data is there in Dynatrace. Dynatrace collects all the information but some companies consider integrating, for instance, Dynatrace metrics with Grafana.

I've been using this solution for more than one year. It's a SaaS solution, and it's deployed on a private cloud.

Support is okay but could be better and faster. The documentation for the tool could be better. The documentation with Elastic and Datadog is more detailed.

Initial setup is simple but it depends. In the server monitoring, it's only install and discovery. That is very quick. To install with a cloud like OpenShift, it requires some Sandcastle configuration about tokens and operators, but with old data, it's fast.

Two people were required for deployment.

I have a little experience with Datadog, but it doesn't have the power to discover with some libraries like Dynatrace. With Dynatrace, you can discover all libraries and technologies that exist on the market today. With Datadog, that's not 100% the case. Datadog is a very good product but it works differently. Datadog has machine learning, too, but not in all discovery options of SQL and in all layers of our monitoring like infrastructure, service, process, and applications—like Dynatrace. With Dynatrace, 100% of all options are included in your machine learning, in your AI.

For development, Datadog is a little more friendly to your front end and development teams. There are some areas, particularly the Apdex of Datadog, that are more understandable for the development teams. Dynatrace is a little more difficult to understand for development teams. It requires some more learning.

The APM feature in Datadog is easier to understand. It works manually, like New Relic, Grafana, or Elastic. That's more understandable for software development teams.

I tested New Relic between 2019 and 2020. Like Datadog, I tested and did proof of concept for New Relic in about one month. New Relic is strong and the APM is easier for teams of dev to write. The scope of New Relic is like Datadog. It doesn't cover all technologies and all libraries and just works efficiently with all items of applications for work with QA and dev.

I have not tested the integration of New Relic. I know some colleagues that integrated between the tools for the infrastructure coverage in Datadog and the APM coverage in New Relic.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 9 out of 10. It's not a 10 because there are some little things that could be enhanced. Otherwise, the product is great.

Private Cloud
Cristiane Machado - PeerSpot reviewer
Head Of Product Development at Stefanini SCALA
Easy to setup and manage with a very nice user interface
  • "The solution has a very good user interface."
  • "For the user, for the customer, they expect a solution to be not so expensive."

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a good platform.

The solution has a very good user interface.

The product can scale.

It's fairly easy to set up and manage.

What needs improvement?

It will be great IF we could show (automatically, from the dynatrace dashboard) to the customer how much they are reducing costs, doing more business and no environment's stopped.

We've been using the solution since 2015. it's been about six years or so at this point.

No worries about that.

The solution can scale, however, if you have a large amount of infrastructure you will need to pay more. I find that if you start with just a small part (the critical part), you'll better understand why you need more of it and scaling will come naturally. It's not just about managing the servers and applications. It's about the user experience too.

I haven't really dealt with technical support. However, our tech team is quite capable of handling any issues should they arise.

We are also familiar with IBM SOLUTIONS.

The solution is very easy to implement and easy to administer. It's not overly complex.

Our IT team is capable of handling any implementation our clients need.

What I try to say to my customer is that, okay, it's not so expensive, if you could see the return of investment you will get. However, in Brazil, we have some difficulties when it comes to showing these numbers to the customer (they don't have the actualized numbers). It might be better, in the current market to just try to sell it to IT instead of across departments.

The pricing is quite high and many customers do not want to pay for it.

Dynatrace it has been our best APM Solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are an IBM partner and are beginning to work with solutions such as Instana as well. We're also partners with Dynatrace.

In the last three years, we've started to grow our customers and have new use cases. I believe due to the movement towards digital transformation, we have more opportunities to show the benefits of a platform like Dynatrace.

We are using the private and public domain from Dynatrace, however, we have customers and major financial customers who prefer to use either private clouds or a private environment. We believe that it doesn't matter where they are. I'm happy with this model, as we could get faster results in two weeks when we are implementing Dynatrace to our customers. It's faster to implement on the cloud.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with its capabilities overall.

Download our free Dynatrace Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022