Ifeanyi Onyiaodike - PeerSpot reviewer
Network security engineer at Fidelity Bank
Stable with good technical support and a straightforward setup
  • "Technical support has been excellent."
  • "They need to increase their timeout. Right now, it will fail after ten seconds, however, it shouldn't fail until after 20. If you don't get on your phone right away and check on your authentications, it will kick you out."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for our clients. Use cases vary, and they include VPN connectivity. It can be used as a provisional firewall and you can allow for a provisional access list, or grant permission to access or for servers or users trying to connect to the server.

What is most valuable?

The VPN, the end-user client VPN, is excellent.

The firewall experience that we have had has been good. It's secure. We've enjoyed it so far.

The initial setup is very easy. It's pretty straightforward.

The solution is very stable.

Technical support has been excellent.

What needs improvement?

With this particular client VPN, there needs to be a feature that can glance at your credentials, of being able to look at credentials. You might hang for a bit or the execution might fail. It would be useful to see your credentials before you connect to take note to see if you are likely to have trouble connecting. They need to increase their timeout. Right now, it will fail after ten seconds, however, it shouldn't fail until after 20. If you don't get on your phone right away and check on your authentications, it will kick you out. They need to give a bit more time.

I've used the solution within the last 12 months. I've used it for a while.

Check Point Remote Access VPN
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Check Point Remote Access VPN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability has been quite good. It's very reliable. It connects. Our VPN connects over 1,200 people with no issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I can't speak to the scalability aspect. We don't have a need to scale. We have about 1,200 users and that's all we need. Therefore, I've never tried to scale it previously.

I've worked with technical support in the past. I was surprised at how responsive they are, actually. They are very helpful and ready to assist us. They're knowledgeable. We're happy with the level of support they give to us.

We also have a vendor right here in Nigeria, which is quite helpful.

We did not find the initial setup to be overly difficult or complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company shouldn't run into problems with the initial setup.

You do have to pay a licensing fee, however, there aren't add-ons or additional costs that you would need to consider.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'd advise new users that, when it comes to deploying with an authentication provider, I would advise that you use a Microsoft authenticator. We tried using their authenticator at first, but that is not good. That did not work.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Network Security Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to manage, perfect for remote workers, and does not require technical knowledge
  • "Our number of users working remotely vastly increased during the COVID 19 pandemic. Check Point Remote Access VPN allowed us to quickly make the transition from in-office to remote work."
  • "There needs to be a way to create a VPN client specific to our environment so that we can easily lock down who can connect."

What is our primary use case?

We are able to allow users to easily gain access to internal systems from outside the organization. No longer is coming into the office a necessary requirement for our users. They can seamlessly transition from home/remote work to going into the office while still having the same level of access. We also have many users that need to manage servers who are able to connect to the internal servers from anywhere - allowing them to still do their jobs from anywhere. Connecting to VPN doesn't require a ton of technical skill for those not in the technical field.

How has it helped my organization?

Users who need to work remotely for any reason can still do their jobs despite their location. The solution is also incredibly easy to manage. It's pretty much set and forget once the blade is turned out and configured. No day-to-day maintenance or configuration is required from the security operations team to keep it running which is welcome considering actual user help tickets are abundant throughout most organizations. Many times our service desk needs to enter the connection settings for our end-users, but that's about it.

What is most valuable?

Our number of users working remotely vastly increased during the COVID 19 pandemic. Check Point Remote Access VPN allowed us to quickly make the transition from in-office to remote work. There was no need to make any changes at the firewall level once we saw a large number of users go to work from home for safety reasons. If the VPN client was installed on their laptop they were good to go. The client also supports MFA, which is important, especially considering all of the remote work happening these days.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be a way to create a VPN client specific to our environment so that we can easily lock down who can connect. The VPN client install should be specific to our environment. Our service desk does get some complaints about users not being able to connect. Sometimes it's because the VPN client has updated and they've lost their connection settings and don't have a record of the connection settings themselves. Other times, the VPN client needs to be reinstalled or upgraded to allow them to connect.

I've worked with the solution for more than 5 years.

The solution is very stable and requires virtually no maintenance.

The solution is easily scalable.

Diamond support is typically fantastic. However, lately, they make us wait for our diamond support person instead of giving us a different tech to work with.

There was no previous solution that was used prior to this product.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We handled the entire process in-house.

Check Point Remote Access VPN
December 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jonathan Ramos G. - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Engineer at ITQS
Good security, protects identity, and allows full access even in different regions
  • "The VPN hides your IP address and encrypts your online traffic and it essentially ensures that your fingerprints cannot be traced on the Internet."
  • "The maximum it is giving us is only 5 licenses and if you need more, they must be purchased separately."

What is our primary use case?

Remote Access VPN (Remote Access VPN) allows users in our organization to connect to a private network to access services and resources remotely. This connection is secure and is made through the Internet. It came to support us so that users, whenever they were outside the organization and were supporting customers from any region, could have secure access to the corporation's data.

Another important point is when our executives travel to regions where certain access to services is blocked. The VPN helps us bypass that block. Since a VPN can hide your real IP address, it can help you bypass geo-blocks, as the platform the one you want to access will think it is from the “correct” geographic region.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is giving us security when it comes to sharing our data safely through the private and secure tunnel that is created when creating the VPN. The VPN hides your IP address and encrypts your online traffic and it essentially ensures that your fingerprints cannot be traced on the Internet. Online hackers won't be able to use your real IP address to discover your personal data, and government surveillance agencies and ISPs won't be able to monitor what you do online by snooping on your traffic.

In addition to helping you avoid government surveillance, it also helps keep your privacy safe from advertisers.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the way they ensure traffic, an example is when we use Wi-Fi in public areas.

WiFi is everywhere nowadays and it is extremely convenient to use, especially if you have a tight mobile data plan. The only problem with free WiFi is that it's often unsecured, which means you're putting your personal data at risk every time you use it. After all, cybercriminals can find out a lot about you, which can lead to them stealing your:

• Credit card details
  • Bank account details
  • Email login credentials

However, if you use a VPN, you won't have to worry about those dangers. A VPN uses encryption to protect your online communications, making sure no one can monitor it. Basically, if a hacker tried to see your connection traffic, they would just see nonsense.

What needs improvement?

That the level of Remote access VPN was higher by default as other brands do it that way. In the case of Check Point, they are not like that. The maximum it is giving us is only 5 licenses and if you need more, they must be purchased separately. From my perspective, it should be added to the same cost as the general license, and that well explained makes the product more attractive. Many organizations would have this need, as many are moving off-premise. We have great executives and entire corporate teams that perform work tasks from home.

I've used the solution for about 2 years.

Other
alvarado - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Support Leader at a tech company with 51-200 employees
User
Very good monitoring, log review, and granularity
  • "It helped improve the way our customers, users, and administrators connected via VPN."
  • "They could improve the support they provide for Check Point."

What is our primary use case?

Before the pandemic and when it started, we needed to provide access from different parts so that they could have access to applications, information, and services, for which the solution was to make a VPN to our resources, first a Microsoft Azure P2S VPN was implemented, however, thanks to the information provided by our checkpoint partner, we were able to take advantage of our existing gateways to install the required blades to be able to provide our users with a VPN through Check Point. This can be used from computers or from mobile.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped improve the way our customers, users, and administrators connected via VPN. Now, with a remote VPN from Check Point, we can provide monitoring, log review, granularity to users, and permissions. With this, we have provided a secure network. We can review and manage everything through our Check Point technology.

Also, the way of using the web portal so as to not have to install agents on the devices was a great help and alternative.

We're really satisfied with this VPN security implementation.

What is most valuable?

We really love the remote VPN from Check Point. Its ease of implementation, its monitoring, and granular review to provide permissions, web access, et cetera, are great. There are really quite a few features that we liked to use.

However, the best thing for us was being able to use two-factor authentication to prove our identity when using the VPN. That feature provided great help to avoid identity theft, which is very common and difficult to detect. Our users were quite happy with it.

This product is recommended for those who need to use VPNs in their operations.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, the remote Check Point VPNs are quite stable.

They could improve the support they provide for Check Point. The support is always in English. Some users (who speak Spanish) have no alternative.

Another very important fact is documentation and bug fixes are a little too classified in the Check Point portal to help administrators when they find problems. More documentation availability would help users to depend less on support.

We have used this tool for at least two years. It's been quite useful and integrated well into our gateways.

We had used a VPN from Microsoft Azure, however, it was not a gateway nor did we have granular control. We greatly increased security with Check Point.

Users need to document themselves quite well in terms of what they need. This will help Check Point provide you with the solution best suited to your requirements.

We did not really look at complete solutions such as Check Point's remote VPN, however, we reviewed the scope and this technology was fully adapted to our needs.

ICT at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, supports dual-factor authentication, and facilitates Smart Working
  • "For us, it was essential to integrate with Active Directory, which is our credentials repository."
  • "In an environment with multiple cluster checkpoints, the global properties common to all clusters in some cases give problems."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to permit the connection to on-premises resources to internal and external users.

We use rules specific to external users based on the real access needs of the specific company, whereas, for internal users, other rules are used.

Users connect to our headquarters and then through private connections, they reach the resources distributed in the various locations. Using dual-factor authentication, we improve the identity security of the users and also protect our company.

Check Point has been our strategic partner for approximately 15 years.

How has it helped my organization?

Check Point Remote Access VPN has improved our organization because it has allowed remote access to various users. This includes external consultants who use their devices to access our resources, as well as internal users who use corporate devices for remote access.

With the current pandemic, the use of Smart Working has increased considerably and this solution is essential to meet the needs of users.

With the latest version, we have introduced dual-factor authentication and in this way, we have greatly increased security on the identity of the people who connect. It also allows clientless connection with major operating systems.

What is most valuable?

There are many features that make this solution interesting.

The option of using SSL VPN, which is clientless and does not require the installation and configuration of a specific client, is a very important feature. Especially given that the latest cyberattacks are against dual-factor authentication, it allows you to significantly increase the security of the identity of the people who connect.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have the ability to specify different policies in a simple and quick way, depending on whether I am using the secure remote client or the SSL VPN.

It would be very useful to be able to apply different policies depending on the authentication method. For example, an 801x authentication can have different native permissions from those who enter the username and password.

I have been using Check Point Remote Access VPN for about 15 years.

Stability-wise, this solution is good.

For me, the scalability is very good.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The price of this product is good.

We did not evaluate other options.

Pre-sales Manager at Alpha1 IT Solutions & Consulting Pvt Ltd
Has great security features, including zero-day protection, malware protection, and anti-phishing
  • "The solution offers great security features, including zero-day protection, malware protection, anti-phishing, et cetera."
  • "There was complexity in the initial setup."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for secure access for remote users. It's deployed as a SaaS over the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers great security features, including zero-day protection, malware protection, anti-phishing, et cetera.

What needs improvement?

If you are new to deploying the solution, the initial setup might be difficult the first time around. I had trouble setting the policies and then resetting the device.

I joined my company eight or nine months ago and have been dealing with the solution since then.

I don't have much information on the stability aspect of the product. I haven't spoken to customers about their experience.

I haven't discussed scalability with customers to get their take on how easy it is.

We haven't referred to the technical support of Check Point just yet. We did have a replacement engineer assist us in deployment, and they handled it quite well.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

There was complexity in the initial setup. With one client, once we installed it and then tried to set the policies, the firewall was not responding very well. I was doing it for the first time, so we were unable to do it. The customer was not pleased with that, so we had to send another engineer to deploy that device. That's not to say it's overly hard - it was just my first attempt at an installation.

We had three engineers handling the initial setup. We deployed it over two days.

I'm hoping that the next time I'm deploying it, it should be done perfectly, without any support from any other engineer.

We do the implementation for our clients.

I'm not aware of the exact licensing costs associated with the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are in the business of selling firewalls. We're resellers and Check Point partners.

I personally have sold just the Check Point solution to only one customer. We are also selling data storage solutions, data backup, and cyber security solutions.

We are dealing with the latest version of the solution.

The solution is available both on-premises and in the cloud.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd recommend it to other users and companies.

System Analyst at IIT Gandhinagar
User
Easy off-site access, offers increased productivity, and works seamlessly on Windows/Mac
  • "Once we install and connect the VPN service, it keeps on running until we disconnect."
  • "The Linux version may have an app (similar to Windows) instead of a shell script."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to connect to our internal network for accessing servers and clusters using Check Point VPN. End-users are, for example, students accessing computer labs and licensed software that can check academic licenses only within the campus network; further, our ERP folks could make good use of the VPN solution by remotely working on the Institute Management System infrastructure and can work efficiently without any hindrance. We also use its capsule app on smartphones to connect further.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Check Point Remote Access VPN has increased the overall productivity for users staying outside the campus and working remotely during this Covid-19 period. Faculty, students, staff, and research fellows as well as a lot of other eligible users have been benefited by securing the VPN license in order to run login remotely and access the project workstations, clusters, run simulations and submit their research work for the final thesis defense. It also allows for publishing in high-impact factor journals.

What is most valuable?

Once we install and connect the VPN service, it keeps on running until we disconnect. Moreover, the best outcome is when the end-users are able to check out software licenses through the tunnel and keep on working remotely from their home without any interruption.

The VPN service works seamlessly in Windows and Mac. Only in the case of Linux or Ubuntu have we had to struggle a bit by understanding the SNX Batch file to get installed and run it. Moreover, in Windows and Apple systems the app is running on the system tray whereas in Linux we have to keep the Terminal Window Open.

What needs improvement?

The Linux version may have an app (similar to Windows) instead of a shell script. We have seen that in Windows and Apple systems the app is running on the system tray whereas in Linux we have to keep the Linux Terminal Window open otherwise the connection drops. Sometimes, we have noticed that the owing to installation of various antivirus and running of inbuilt firewalls (applicable to all operating systems); the connection for VPN sporadically drops and tries to reconnect. When this happens, we have to manually either disable the firewall/antivirus or reconnect the VPN again.

We've used the solution since 2015 or 2016.

We were using Cyberoam.

Users must pursue Proof of Concept as the functional requirements can vary.

We also looked into Palo Alto and Fortinet.

Fabian Miranda - PeerSpot reviewer
Subject Matter Expert - Helthcare and Corporate Verticals Development at Lenovo
Easy to activate with full visibility and network control
  • "The team has full visibility of the users that connect allowing them to keep control of who is in the network and what data they are allowing to come in and out."
  • "In my organization, there aren't Linux users, however, I know it has difficulties offering secure access for customers who use this operating system."

What is our primary use case?

This product provides a secure connection to the corporate network from anywhere and safe traffic of data regardless of the possible threats in the WAN it's connected to. It also provides secure access to company apps and controls the traffic depending on each company's policies. Through it, we create layers that control or limit data traffic for specific users. I've been trained in the product and know it's one of the most effective in the business and admit to facilitating my customers to get it from our Check Point partners.

How has it helped my organization?

A clear example of the positive impact this license has had in my organization was back in 2020. The software was in use since before the pandemic hit so our personnel was familiarized with the product; the transition was smooth and secure from the office to work from home. Access policies were run through the active directory applied on all kinds of end points, from cell phones, tablets, laptops, desktops - you name it. Access could be restricted by location and using network security assessments that prevented connecting to corrupted networks.

What is most valuable?

We already use the Check Point Firewall and those are the ones the organization's employees connect to for the remote VPN and it made it really easy to activate this function as new hardware was not needed.

The team has full visibility of the users that connect allowing them to keep control of who is in the network and what data they are allowing to come in and out. Be it if our users are at home or in the office the same policy applies to them allowing us to view the traffic within our organization.

What needs improvement?

Also, this product has limitations with headcount addition, as there are performance limitations in each security gateway the software has.

The ability to allow split-tunneling while still following our corporate policy should be offered.

Some things like the compliance aspect of the VPN Client can be updated so the product stays up to speed with the ever-changing environment in software security.

For the past eight years, I've been working at a company where I was first in software security sales for three years and then five years in hardware sales. Since I have a background in security, I've been part of training and sales where Check Point products are involved. I have tested most products Check Point offers due to our partnership.

Download our free Check Point Remote Access VPN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022