Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Associate Vice President at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Secure, highly scalable, and reliable
  • "Amazon AWS has improved a lot on security and is very good. Additionally, You can integrate your own security into their AWS platform."

What is our primary use case?

Amazon AWS can be used for storage, networking, and for many of the services they have available, such as databases, new site launches, and quick deployments.

What is most valuable?

The reporting and analytics monitoring are very good features and we are using them extensively.

I have been using Amazon AWS for approximately seven years.

I have found Amazon AWS to be stable.

Amazon AWS
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Amazon AWS is highly scalable.

We have previously used older servers solutions from Dell, HP, and IBM.

The installation of this solution is straightforward.

The amount of people we need for the deployment depends on the use case and what type of business operations you are running. You can start with one resource based on the requirements and you can add the people as you need them. The majority of the people you will need will be for DevOps and you can scale your team as per your requirements. You can start with one at the beginning stage but you could end up needing a hundred thousand people but this depends on the business growth and many factors.

The pricing model of Amazon AWS is very good because there is an option to pay for what you use only, you do not have to give any money upfront to use it. However, we have some instances where we are on a monthly plan.

When you compare Amazon AWS to Microsoft Azure, the pricing of both is almost the same. There are some instances when one is cheaper than the other in one area but it is difficult to pinpoint which one is cheaper because it depends upon a lot of factors, such as the use case. However, the overall price of both solutions could be reduced.

I have evaluated Microsoft Azure.

What other advice do I have?

A lot of organizations are moving from on-premise solutions to the cloud. There are a lot of case studies already in the marketplace which you can go there and find case study solutions to your business requirements.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

Sr Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Priced competitively, reliable, but difficult figuring out usage cost
    • "This solution is stable and reliable."
    • "We have had some difficulty figuring out how to monitor how many EC2 instances have been networked into our entire enterprise. We usually try to create a diagram outside of AWS. The types of information we are trying to determine are, for example, what hardware devices are interconnected, and when was the interconnection made."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution predominately to reduce the amount of effort we need to migrate to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We have had some difficulty figuring out how to monitor how many EC2 instances have been networked into our entire enterprise. We usually try to create a diagram outside of AWS. The types of information we are trying to determine are, for example, what hardware devices are interconnected, and when was the interconnection made.

It is difficult to extrapolate budgeting costs and schedules from the information gathered from the usage of the solution in our systems. We are given a large lump sum of money at the beginning of the year for our budget but it is hard to summarize costs to put down on paper for justification or projections.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

This solution is stable and reliable.

We are planning on moving more of our systems to the cloud. Currently, we have approximately 60% of our applications on the cloud.

Our developers found the installation a moderate level of difficulty, there was not anything that was complex. It is helpful to have some tutorials to follow.

The solution is on a pay-as-use pricing model. The price of the solution could always be better but it is priced competitively.

We have evaluated Lambda, and in some cases, it might be a better option than EC2. However, we have decided to go with EC2 because it is closer to a drop-in displacement which works better with our applications, for example, Spring Boot and other similar variations.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is EC2 has its specific use case needs like other solutions, such as Lamda. If you have the need for a specific use case this solution could be the right choice. For example, it is possible to have your monolithic application on the cloud and decompose it into your microservice architecture or use it with Lambda capabilities. You can do this and have a high percentage of your application on the cloud. However, you need to be sure it is the right choice, it is something you need to be careful of.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon AWS a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Amazon AWS
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Technical Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    MSP
    It covers a lot of services, including computing, networking, storage, IoT, and management
    • "We use AWS for multiple purposes, such as developing APIs and API integration using API Gateway. We use API Gateway, Python Combinator, Lambda Glue, and ETL Process. We have used EMR for big data processing. If we need a tool for computing, we go with the Lamda DMS. There are many services available in AWS that meet our needs."
    • "AWS has room for improvement on the Kubernetes side. I would like to go a little deeper into the Kubernetes target, Elastic, inner system, and all that. The EKS, target, and all these areas need to be improved, but that is not my key area because I am mostly working on the application side."

What is our primary use case?

We use AWS for multiple purposes, such as developing APIs and API integration using API Gateway. We use API Gateway, Python Combinator, Lambda Glue, and ETL Process. We have used EMR for big data processing. If we need a tool for computing, we go with the Lamda DMS. There are many services available in AWS that meet our needs.

What is most valuable?

The feature that's most valuable depends on your use case. Elasticsearch is good for testing and DynamoDb for database applications. There are so many things I could name, but you have to go with the service that is right for the use case you are looking for.

What needs improvement?

AWS has room for improvement on the Kubernetes side. I would like to go a little deeper into the Kubernetes target, Elastic, inner system, and all that. The EKS, target, and all these areas need to be improved, but that is not my key area because I am mostly working on the application side. However, I sometimes still need to work with Kubernetes container management.

I've been using AWS for the last seven years.

AWS has "11 9s" service availability, which means the service is available 99.99999999999 percent of the time.

I would rate AWS support four out of five. They're good. I can activate cases on the technical calendar through AWS development support. I've gotten a lot of support through AWS Blue.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The deployment complexity depends on which template you're using: AWS Terraform or CloudFormation. It's easiest to deploy services via Terraform, so you can go with that. That is the most straightforward way, and you can do all automation within Terraform.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AWS nine out of 10. Everything is moving to the cloud now, and AWS covers a lot of services, including computing, networking, storage, IoT, and management, and they are good in every way.

They face competition from GCP and Azure, but Azure is entirely a Microsoft stack, so people will go with that when they're working with Microsoft solutions. It is a little cheaper than AWS. In the end, the cloud you choose depends on the use case. It's up to the customer.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Digital Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Stable and scalable with a fast deployment process
    • "The initial setup is easy. The deployment is fast."
    • "The pricing could be a bit high at times. It's something they could improve upon."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution for version codes for various types of services. We also use the solution as a database. We use the platform to analyze data services.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at analyzing data services.

The initial setup is easy. The deployment is fast.

We really enjoy working on something that is based in the cloud. It makes things easier.

What needs improvement?

We aren't missing any features right now. For us, the solution is perfect as it is. We don't feel anything is lacking.

While my organization has been using the solution for years at this point, I have not been using it for the same length of time. It's been a while, however, it hasn't been that long.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. The performance is good. All of the services and requirements for our clients are currently working without any issue.

The scalability of the product is okay. You can expand it if you need to.

We only have a few people currently using the solution in our organization. There aren't a lot of us using it.

We've used technical support in the past. We've made tickets. Largely, it's been helpful. The response time is reasonable. We're largely satisfied with the level of support provided.

We've found that, overall, the initial setup isn't too complex. It's straightforward and very easy. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process. We didn't have trouble.

Deployment times vary. It often depends on the services involved. We did an implementation in February and it was only five minutes. It can be very quick. It doesn't take too long.

What other advice do I have?

We are an AWS partner.

I'd recommend the solution. Having a cloud available has been great. It makes things faster and easier and the deployment is pretty quick and very straightforward.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I've been extremely happy with the product so far.

Lecturer and Researcher at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Very scalable, easy to use, and reliable
    • "The installation process is very simple."
    • "The product would be better if it was more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a cloud computing platform. We use it for database storage.

How has it helped my organization?

Application development and migration form On-Premise to Cloud

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable. Its reliability is great.

We've found the product to be very easy to use.

The solution is scalable.

The installation process is very simple.

Technical support is very good.

What needs improvement?

The product would be better if it was more secure.

The stability could always be improved upon.

I've been using the solution for a few years at this point. It's been a while. I've had a good amount of time to work with it.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. there are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable and the performance is good.

The product is scalable. If a company needs to expand, it can do so with ease.

We have about 50 people using the solution within our organization.

The technical support on offer from Amazon is very helpful and responsive. I'm happy with the level of service they provide. They are very good.

We did not previously use a different product. We've always used AWS.

The solution is very simple and straightforward. It's not complex or difficult. A company shouldn't have any issue with the process. The deployment is quick.

Middle level

Calculate form  Physical Server , CAPEX,OPEX

You do need to pay for a license. We pay a monthly fee in order to use the product.

Yes,I study form this ,https://comparecloud.in/

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the version number off-hand.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We're very happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Hybrid Cloud

Integration Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    The learning curve is shorter, but it needs better tools for monitoring performance and use
    • "I like AWS for its scalability, reliability, and availability, and it's much more mature and user-friendly compared to some other cloud providers. The learning curve and time for deployment are also shorter."
    • "Amazon needs to develop better tools for troubleshooting network traffic, application insights, performance, and even some aspects of integration mapping. I'm hoping AWS implements something like Azure's Network Watcher and a log analytics solution where a can pull logs from various services and present them in a single dashboard. I want to summarize the performance and usage of every service and application."

What is our primary use case?

You can design and customize solutions with AWS. It has so many options, including storage, computing, database, notification, and messaging solutions. It depends on what the application team designs.

What is most valuable?

I like AWS for its scalability, reliability, and availability, and it's much more mature and user-friendly compared to some other cloud providers. The learning curve and time for deployment are also shorter.

What needs improvement?

Amazon needs to develop better tools for troubleshooting network traffic, application insights, performance, and even some aspects of integration mapping. I'm hoping AWS implements something like Azure's Network Watcher and a log analytics solution where a can pull logs from various services and present them in a single dashboard. I want to summarize the performance and usage of every service and application.

All cloud solutions are scalable. It depends on the design, but most of them scale well. There are tens of thousands of users working on the solution.

Amazon technical support is great.

Deploying AWS could be straightforward or complicated depending on the use case. If it's a simple application, you can deploy it within a day. If it's very complex and your team isn't experienced, it can take months.

The amount of maintenance needed depends on your application and how you define support and maintenance. Some staff will handle things internally and others will be responsible for the cloud applications.

I would say AWS is balanced. Cloud solutions are not cheap, and the ROI could vary widely according to your usage.

The cost depends on the usage and applications. If you're hosting thousands of applications, you'll be paying tens of thousands of dollars. In addition to usage fees, you have to factor in the costs of development teams and the staff you need to support the applications. These are the three costs you need to kind of calculate to decide on the budget.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate AWS 7.5 out of 10. There are a lot of options in this space, and Microsoft is also good. We are evaluating the data on each. We would rate Azure close to eight, so they're both great solutions.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Frank Gerlach - PeerSpot reviewer
    President at Embedded Sense, Inc.
    Helpful documentation, great technical support, and good scalability
    • "The initial setup is simple and straightforward."
    • "There is a bit of a learning curve. That said, it's likely no different than learning any other cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to host our control panel for our IoT devices.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very good documentation.

The initial setup is simple and straightforward.

The solution is scalable.

The stability has been good.

We have found the technical support to be helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall feeling there were any features missing.

The pricing could be a bit lower, even though its costs are in the middle of the road.

I've used the solution for about half a year. It hasn't been 12 months yet.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

I would imagine the scaling is very good. It's advertised as quite scalable and everything points to that being the case. However, I have not personally attempted to scale. We're still building the application, and therefore we aren't at the point of scaling.

We have three people using the solution currently.

Technical support is very helpful and responsive. They have been good so far. We have no complaints and are quite satisfied with the support we receive.

We did not use a different solution. We chose Amazon due to its good documentation and middle-of-the-road costs.

While I wasn't a part of the initial implementation, it's my understanding that the process is very simple and straightforward. It's not an overly complex process.

The cost is moderate. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Amazon.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a good choice and one we stand behind.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We are very satisfied with the product so far. Likely, if the price was lower, we would rate it higher.

Director of Technology at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
    Stable, flexible, always up to date, and works well as long-term or short-term storage
    • "It's a flexible solution."
    • "The interface is relatively complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for everything. It's our infrastructure. You can have long-term or short-term storage. You can have elastic servers, analytical AI, machine learning services, and API services.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

The interface is relatively complex. It's not complex when you compare it to Azure, but with some other competitors, it is a little complex.

The interface could be simplified. It's an area that needs improvement, as well as the price.

I have been using this solution for five years.

We are using the latest version. It's always kept up-to-date by Amazon.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. Everyone in our organization is using this solution. We have 100 users.

We are not sure if we are going to continue using this product. We may move to Azure or GCP. We haven't made that decision.

You have support but not very much. It's all do-it-yourself and you figure it out for the most part.

You have outside consulting firms that provide the support.

We use Azure, just for backups.

There is nothing to install, it's cloud. It's easy.

The prices are a bit high. But they are the first ones on the market to really do this and they have a monopoly on it.

Depending on what you get, you will have to pay for a license. For example, if you get SQL Server, which is a Microsoft product, you need to pay for a license. If you get other products, you may have to get a license. They will provide that or they will sell it to you.

In some instances, it may be, that you bring your own licenses.

Azure has better services for some aspects, and Google GCP has obviously got some competing products. I think each provider has its benefits, advantages, and disadvantages.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022