Integration Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The learning curve is shorter, but it needs better tools for monitoring performance and use
  • "I like AWS for its scalability, reliability, and availability, and it's much more mature and user-friendly compared to some other cloud providers. The learning curve and time for deployment are also shorter."
  • "Amazon needs to develop better tools for troubleshooting network traffic, application insights, performance, and even some aspects of integration mapping. I'm hoping AWS implements something like Azure's Network Watcher and a log analytics solution where a can pull logs from various services and present them in a single dashboard. I want to summarize the performance and usage of every service and application."

What is our primary use case?

You can design and customize solutions with AWS. It has so many options, including storage, computing, database, notification, and messaging solutions. It depends on what the application team designs.

What is most valuable?

I like AWS for its scalability, reliability, and availability, and it's much more mature and user-friendly compared to some other cloud providers. The learning curve and time for deployment are also shorter.

What needs improvement?

Amazon needs to develop better tools for troubleshooting network traffic, application insights, performance, and even some aspects of integration mapping. I'm hoping AWS implements something like Azure's Network Watcher and a log analytics solution where a can pull logs from various services and present them in a single dashboard. I want to summarize the performance and usage of every service and application.

All cloud solutions are scalable. It depends on the design, but most of them scale well. There are tens of thousands of users working on the solution.

Amazon AWS
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Amazon technical support is great.

Deploying AWS could be straightforward or complicated depending on the use case. If it's a simple application, you can deploy it within a day. If it's very complex and your team isn't experienced, it can take months.

The amount of maintenance needed depends on your application and how you define support and maintenance. Some staff will handle things internally and others will be responsible for the cloud applications.

I would say AWS is balanced. Cloud solutions are not cheap, and the ROI could vary widely according to your usage.

The cost depends on the usage and applications. If you're hosting thousands of applications, you'll be paying tens of thousands of dollars. In addition to usage fees, you have to factor in the costs of development teams and the staff you need to support the applications. These are the three costs you need to kind of calculate to decide on the budget.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate AWS 7.5 out of 10. There are a lot of options in this space, and Microsoft is also good. We are evaluating the data on each. We would rate Azure close to eight, so they're both great solutions.

Frank Gerlach - PeerSpot reviewer
President at Embedded Sense, Inc.
Helpful documentation, great technical support, and good scalability
  • "The initial setup is simple and straightforward."
  • "There is a bit of a learning curve. That said, it's likely no different than learning any other cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to host our control panel for our IoT devices.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very good documentation.

The initial setup is simple and straightforward.

The solution is scalable.

The stability has been good.

We have found the technical support to be helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall feeling there were any features missing.

The pricing could be a bit lower, even though its costs are in the middle of the road.

I've used the solution for about half a year. It hasn't been 12 months yet.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

I would imagine the scaling is very good. It's advertised as quite scalable and everything points to that being the case. However, I have not personally attempted to scale. We're still building the application, and therefore we aren't at the point of scaling.

We have three people using the solution currently.

Technical support is very helpful and responsive. They have been good so far. We have no complaints and are quite satisfied with the support we receive.

We did not use a different solution. We chose Amazon due to its good documentation and middle-of-the-road costs.

While I wasn't a part of the initial implementation, it's my understanding that the process is very simple and straightforward. It's not an overly complex process.

The cost is moderate. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Amazon.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a good choice and one we stand behind.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We are very satisfied with the product so far. Likely, if the price was lower, we would rate it higher.

Amazon AWS
December 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of Technology at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Stable, flexible, always up to date, and works well as long-term or short-term storage
  • "It's a flexible solution."
  • "The interface is relatively complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for everything. It's our infrastructure. You can have long-term or short-term storage. You can have elastic servers, analytical AI, machine learning services, and API services.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

The interface is relatively complex. It's not complex when you compare it to Azure, but with some other competitors, it is a little complex.

The interface could be simplified. It's an area that needs improvement, as well as the price.

I have been using this solution for five years.

We are using the latest version. It's always kept up-to-date by Amazon.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. Everyone in our organization is using this solution. We have 100 users.

We are not sure if we are going to continue using this product. We may move to Azure or GCP. We haven't made that decision.

You have support but not very much. It's all do-it-yourself and you figure it out for the most part.

You have outside consulting firms that provide the support.

We use Azure, just for backups.

There is nothing to install, it's cloud. It's easy.

The prices are a bit high. But they are the first ones on the market to really do this and they have a monopoly on it.

Depending on what you get, you will have to pay for a license. For example, if you get SQL Server, which is a Microsoft product, you need to pay for a license. If you get other products, you may have to get a license. They will provide that or they will sell it to you.

In some instances, it may be, that you bring your own licenses.

Azure has better services for some aspects, and Google GCP has obviously got some competing products. I think each provider has its benefits, advantages, and disadvantages.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

Lead architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, scalable, and offers many services
  • "Amazon AWS is easy to use and in the past two years, I've never had any issues with scalability or stability."
  • "This solution could be improved by a better licensing model, especially for third-party software. Amazon AWS could also potentially be improved by more free storage, but I think that it's okay when compared to competitors' products."

What is our primary use case?

This solution has many use cases. Amazon AWS offers a lot of services, all of which are useful. How useful this solution will be for you depends on how it fits your business.

What is most valuable?

Amazon AWS is easy to use and in the past two years, I've never had any issues with scalability or stability.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be improved by a better licensing model, especially for third-party software. Amazon AWS could also potentially be improved by more free storage, but I think that it's okay when compared to competitors' products.

I have been using Amazon AWS for more than two or three years.

This solution is stable. I haven't had any problems with stability in the past two years.

This solution is cloud-based, so it's scalable. It is elastic, so as soon as you want to increase storage, you do so without any issues. There are about four thousand to five thousand people using AWS in my organization.

I have contacted Amazon's technical support and it was quite an easy process. You will have a solution within 24 hours.

I didn't use another fast cloud solution before Amazon AWS.

The initial setup is easy and you don't really need to install anything. If you understand cloud solutions, you can easily do it yourself.

I implemented myself, with an in-house team.

We need to pay for everything. If someone is a personal user, they get one year free. But if you are using this as a professional or enterprise solution, then your company has to pay. The license pricing is comparable to that of competitors'.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten, primarily because I have a background in Java. Someone else with more experience in Microsoft technologies would probably prefer Azure. I recommend AWS to anyone considering implementing it because it's easy to use.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Assistant General Manager, Information Technology & Infrastructure at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to provision new virtual services, easy to scale, and has most of the infrastructure components
  • "It is quite easy to provision new virtual services for our use. The procedures are quite straightforward and simple as compared to other competitors, such as Microsoft or Huawei. This is what we are happy about with Amazon AWS. It is pretty mature in terms of the availability of most of the infrastructure components. If you want to deploy a server on your platform, everything is already there in terms of the operating system, network components, securities, and data encryption. It is also quite scalable and stable."
  • "Our use case is limited to virtual services and RPA development. We are not using it quite heavily, and there are not many issues or problems so far. However, it would be great if it could be integrated with more AI features and proactive monitoring. It could also have more automatic capacity expansion features. For example, when renting out some space, memory, or computing power, the service can have the capacity to expand by itself without being manually handled by us."

What is our primary use case?

It has been useful for running virtual services for some of our internal applications. Some of the developers are using it for doing some kind of development work on robotics process automation or RPA.

What is most valuable?

It is quite easy to provision new virtual services for our use. The procedures are quite straightforward and simple as compared to other competitors, such as Microsoft or Huawei. This is what we are happy about with Amazon AWS.

It is pretty mature in terms of the availability of most of the infrastructure components. If you want to deploy a server on your platform, everything is already there in terms of the operating system, network components, securities, and data encryption. It is also quite scalable and stable.

What needs improvement?

Our use case is limited to virtual services and RPA development. We are not using it quite heavily, and there are not many issues or problems so far. However, it would be great if it could be integrated with more AI features and proactive monitoring. It could also have more automatic capacity expansion features. For example, when renting out some space, memory, or computing power, the service can have the capacity to expand by itself without being manually handled by us.

I have been using this solution for two to three years.

It is quite stable.

It is quite scalable. It is easy to expand and unsubscribe. In terms of the number of users, we have ten administrators from the IT side.

We have interacted with them. They are quite responsive to our inquiries.

The initial setup was easy.

It was pretty much done by our in-house developers.

Licensing is on a yearly basis. I believe we are satisfied with the current pricing. Otherwise, we would have switched to another vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Amazon AWS cloud is pretty mature in terms of availability for most of the infrastructure components. It is a one-stop shop that gives everybody simple steps to get things done, which is great.

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

DanielMoreno - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Architect at Orbis Data
A scalable and stable solution
  • "I am very impressed by the solution's stability."
  • "The response time of technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

In my role as an IT architect, I design solutions for many clients. We use the solution in mobile applications with a back-end solution

What needs improvement?

The response time of technical support could be better. It is not so good. While this can likely be attributed to our lack of a premium support contract, they should still show more consideration in their response time towards first time clients.

Moreover, as things grow, the solution will need the scalability of Amazon services for it to be very secure. More scalability will be essential. It will be important for us to incorporate certain architecture-based ideas or configurations of the signature that would need to be included in our solutions or designs.

As an example, we developed a mobile application that will reach 10,000 users of Amazon services within its first year. The following year, it is projected to reach around 100,000 users.

I have been using Amazon AWS during the last 12 months.

I am very impressed by the solution's stability.

The scalability is very good, although having good security will require that its growth be in line with that of Amazon service.

Technical support is not so good.

Use of the four quarters service posed a problem for us during the initial setup. The setup of the initial quarters of service should be more transparent and clear to the user. Certain limits should be set up to match the varying needs of the users.

There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I feel the solution has been working very well.

We have worked with around eight companies over the past year involving a variety of solutions. For some of these we implemented solutions that will be utilized by a large clientele.

My role is that of an integrator. Editors and designers are other roles. As of now, we do not have a partner relationship with Amazon.

I rate Amazon AWS as a nine out of ten.

ManuelVallejo - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Provides valuable features like Cloud Management, but the hybrid cloud could have better support
  • "Cloud Management has been a valuable feature."
  • "In some scenarios, Azure will support hybrid cloud better while AWS offers direct connection."

What is our primary use case?

I am an integrator.

We get some courses and communications from the technology, so we update our knowledge about how to use that kind of technology for the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Cloud Management has been a valuable feature. It depends on how we meet our business challenge head-on with the cloud computing services because sometimes you find that the computing is working fine with Google, and sometimes it's Azure, and sometimes it's Amazon.

One customer is going to work with Azure, and the next year they'll change everything and work with AWS because in our environment the most sensitive data is kept in the on-premise environment the majority of the time. It's more frequent that you can find an environment that has hybrid implementation.

What needs improvement?

I think in some situations the key difference between Azure and AWS is how they support the hybrid cloud. In some scenarios, Azure will support hybrid cloud better while AWS offers direct connection. Azure provides security by offering information on the whole account where AWS security provides an easy find row. It depends on what the customer wants to have in the environment or how they want to work with that or what is the customer's budget.

Most of the issues are that because it's a hybrid environment, the configuration is restricted with the firewalls. The most common issue that they have found is generated by the person who administers these kinds of solutions.

It would be great if you could find a way to make an architect design and just click one button and put that in the cloud.

I have been using this solution for more than six years.

It's simple because the customer will get familiar with the technology. The customer has to know his company. He has to know it's a new technology and everything gets complicated if the person doesn't adapt to changes. It depends on how they approach all the adoption from this kind of multi-cloud solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

My advice is to read about the solution. All of the learning is logical, and you can follow it and put it in practice. I believe it's a great product and great technology.

Rodrigo Bassani - PeerSpot reviewer
Head Of Technology at Elogroup
Reseller
Frequent feature updates, easy to scale, and helpful technical support
  • "The services that we are using have frequent updates, at least twice a year. They provide a new version that has more capabilities or features that fit our process and procedures."
  • "The setup of the solution is not so easy, it requires various skills to complete it. The whole implementation can take a month."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon AWS to deploy our architecture.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are CodePipeline, CodeDeploy, CodeBuild, and CodeCommit. We use them to deliver our solution.

The services that we are using have frequent updates, at least twice a year. They provide a new version that has more capabilities or features that fit our process and procedures.

I am an integration specialist and Amazon AWS always seems to be a step ahead of the competition when it comes to the solutions integration abilities with its services.

EventBridge is a tool provided by AWS and it enables integration with the API gateway. We are using it as a solution to our projects and with our clients to integrate with external features, such as B2B or B2C. The Amazon API gateway integrates with EventBridge and other messaging layers. It is a highly integrated solution with those platforms.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

Amazon AWS has a very easy tool to scale in terms of scaling up and down. We have different options to do this operation and they are very useful.

The technical support has been helpful.

The setup of the solution is not so easy, it requires various skills to complete it. The whole implementation can take a month. However, different parts can take more or less time depending on the knowledge of the implementor.

The messaging layer, in general, is easy today than before when you had to create all the data centers around the world and create the steps to connect the data centers to each other. They have improved a lot over the year but they could still improve more.

Amazon AWS has pay-as-you-go options available.

What other advice do I have?

It is important for people who want to use Amazon AWS to have a very good implementation strategy to make the migration. Amazon has provided some framework to help those wanting to start the migration process.

I rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022