We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
ThierryDavin
Senior consultant at NTT Security
MSP
A well-built and logical ecosystem that is robust, secure, and scalable
  • "Almost everything is good. It is a whole ecosystem. It is not only the storage, computing, or networking. It is interesting in the way all things are combined to form this ecosystem. It is a very well-built and logical ecosystem that has some small building blocks. These building blocks can be used in the right way to build a much bigger ecosystem that is robust, secure, scalable."
  • "Its interface could be better because there are so many services right now in the product that it is quite difficult to navigate around in this. Its interface could be a subject of improvement."

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for six years.

It has good stability. In six years of working with Amazon AWS, I had only two major incidents, which are very few.

It is very scalable. Our clients are enterprise businesses. There are some customers who put only a part of their business on Amazon AWS, and there are some customers who put everything on Amazon AWS. In some cases, a few applications are going to the cloud, whereas in other cases, everything is going to the cloud, and the migration is huge.

Their technical support is good.

Its initial setup is straightforward. You just need to create an account.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a cloud leader, and it is a safe bet.

I would rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

CEO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good availability, reliable, and scalable, but it's expensive
  • "The availability is good, you can get any service you need immediately."
  • "AWS is very expensive."

What is our primary use case?

There is a large list of products that are available in the cloud, from computing to mail hosting and server services that are available in the AWS cloud.

They provide you with computing resources and IT services.

What is most valuable?

In terms of features, I would rate it a nine.

This is a product that is easy to use and highly available. The availability is good, you can get any service you need immediately.

I have been using Amazon AWS for five or six years.

It's very stable.

It's a very scalable product. We have 200 users in our organization who are using AWS.

They provide support at different levels.

Previously, we did not use another solution.

We use our own server in the cloud or we use AWS.

It is in the cloud, there is no installation.

Pricing, I would rate a five out of ten. AWS is very expensive.

It's paid on a monthly basis and you have to pay for the resources that you use.

There is no licensing in AWS, you pay per usage.

What other advice do I have?

We have reduced usability to a few situations because we have our own hosting cloud server.

I would not recommend this solution,  I would recommend something from the competitors.

I would rate Amazon AWS a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Its features are a great complement to the basic infrastructure of any company

What is our primary use case?

I'm currently using AWS to create two environments with the EC2 instance. I have one environment for staging and developing processes and another environment for production.

What is most valuable?

I like ETL, the EC2 platform, and Route 53. These features are a great complement to the basic infrastructure of any company. The AWS platform has many features, but the fundamental cloud infrastructure is the most important.

I've used AWS for around two years.

AWS is reliable. I've seen around 10 issues in the whole time I've been using it, so I think that is highly stable.

AWS is a cloud platform,…

What is most valuable?

I've used AWS for around two years.

AWS is a cloud platform, so it's inherently scalable.

The cloud platform can have problems, but AWS has a good SLA. If a region has problems, Amazon will fix the issue, so the customer never knows.

Deploying AWS is complex in the beginning. It becomes more intuitive once you have a solid grasp of the fundamentals. However, a person with no AWS experience might find it overwhelming at first. Total deployment took around two weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AWS nine out of 10. It's a complete solution. If Amazon added any more features, that would just be a pleasant surprise for me because AWS perfectly fits the needs of my current job.

Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Makes it easy to scale and spin up resources and is pretty dependable

What is our primary use case?

We are mostly using it for DevOps.  We are using its latest version. They do auto-updates and update it at their own will.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to spin up resources.

What needs improvement?

There is no control of downtime.

I have probably been using this solution for eight months.

Over the past couple of days, we've had some outages. It seems they had some network issues, but overall, it has been pretty dependable and stable.

It is easy to scale. We probably have about 50 users who use this solution.

They're decent. Sometimes, they…

What is our primary use case?

We are mostly using it for DevOps.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to spin up resources.

What needs improvement?

There is no control of downtime.

I have probably been using this solution for eight months.

It is easy to scale. We probably have about 50 users who use this solution.

They're decent. Sometimes, they take a while to get back to you. It depends on the severity.

We were using another solution. We switched to it because of its ease of use, ease of deployment, and cost.

Its setup is of medium complexity. It depends on what you're setting up. Some of the things are easy, and some of the things are difficult. For example, setting up infrastructure as code with Terraform is difficult.

It is comparable if you add in the price structure to an on-prem solution.

What other advice do I have?

On the DevOps side, make sure you know what you're doing for security before you implement it. Make sure it is secure.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Venkateswarlu Paturu
Service Delivery Manager / Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A cloud computing solution with great elasticity
  • "The compute and the elasticness of the compute is really great. Whenever there's a load, it automatically adds the servers and then reduces the servers based on the configuration. This is really wonderful, more cost-effective, and it's been really good for us."
  • "AWS support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We're using several Amazon products. We use Amazon AWS Compute Service, AWS Elastic Load Balancing, and a huge private VPN or a virtual private network are created out of it. We also use an API Gateway. There are several products and several services that AWS provides, and we're using them.

What is most valuable?

The compute and the elasticness of the compute is really great. Whenever there's a load, it automatically adds the servers and then reduces the servers based on the configuration. This is really wonderful, more cost-effective, and it's been really good for us.

What needs improvement?

AWS support could be better.

I have been using Amazon AWS for many years.

AWS support could be better. It could be faster and straightforward.

There's no initial setup or installation. It's all configuration.

A few of our customers pay for it yearly and monthly. Sometimes, when it's related to the data, the pricing seems to be high. It could be cheaper on a transactional basis.

We did evaluate a couple of other products like Google Cloud and  RTCloud, but our customers decided to go with AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this cloud solution to new customers.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS an eight.

VP Technology at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
On-demand pricing, stable, scalable, and easy to use
  • "The ease of use is the biggest benefit."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see better pricing."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to run some of our workloads.

What is most valuable?

We like the on-demand pricing.

The ease of use is the biggest benefit.

They deliver in terms of features.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see better pricing.

I have been using Amazon AWS for almost a year.

I am using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

This is a scalable product. In my organization, I have 15 to 20 people who are using it.

I don't see any reason why they would not continue using this solution.

I don't have any experience with technical support.

We did not use another solution previously. We started using AWS.

It's all in the cloud, so there is really no installation.

What attracted us was the on-demand pricing. It's a pay-per-use model.

It is costly, but when you use the pay-per-use model, it is cheaper.

The price could be cheaper, but it's better than what is available.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

Chef manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Helpful technical support, easy setup, and highly stable

What is our primary use case?

We have migrated all of our on-premise production environments to the Amazon AWS cloud and we use many AWS services.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more secure.

I have been using Amazon AWS for approximately six months.

Amazon AWS has proven itself as the market leader in the cloud solution environment and is highly stable.

The solution is scalable. All of our production environment is hosted on Amazon AWS and we have approximately 12,000 users that use it.

We have enterprise-level support that is very good from the…

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more secure.

I have been using Amazon AWS for approximately six months.

The solution is scalable.

We have enterprise-level support that is very good from the AWS team.

We use other solutions, such as Microsoft Azure for UID and Google Cloud services for DCP.

The initial setup is not difficult and it did not take us more than one day.

We have a managed service provider that helped us with the implementation of the solution.

We have a 60 person team that manages our data operations and infrastructure. The team consists of many levels, such as system engineers, architects, and managers.

We have a monthly subscription for Amazon AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

EmanTaky
Senior System Administrator at KnowledgeNet
High quality features, flexible, and excellent virtualization capabilities
  • "The most valuable features I have found are the Database Migration Service (DMS) for monitoring the host and routing, Route 53, and EC2 tools. The DMS is not available in any other solution that I am aware of. They have a very flexible and professional solution."
  • "If you have not had previous training or studied guides it will be a little difficult to use the solution. However, the difficulty also depends on what you are using the solution for. They can improve by providing more documentation, such as tutorials and videos."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for network virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features I have found are the Database Migration Service (DMS) for monitoring the host and routing, Route 53, and EC2 tools. The DMS is not available in any other solution that I am aware of. They have a very flexible and professional solution.

What needs improvement?

If you have not had previous training or studied guides it will be a little difficult to use the solution. However, the difficulty also depends on what you are using the solution for. They can improve by providing more documentation, such as tutorials and videos.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

I have found the stability very good.

The scalability is good.

The technical support has been fine in my experience.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Amazon AWS is the most powerful tool and is at the top for cloud and for virtualization. It has many features and products. It is wonderful and I keep learning from them.

I would highly recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon AWS a ten out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.