IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior QA Manager Performance Testing & Engineering at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enterprise-level technical support is easily accessible, and it includes a vast number of useful features

What is our primary use case?

We build our own service virtualization tools. We use Amazon AWS for cloud hosting. AWS has a lot of services that we use.

What is most valuable?

Everything in AWS is valuable? AWS itself is valuable in multiple ways. Whatever I use is valuable, which is the reason we use it.

It has a lot of new features that make our lives easier in terms of what we want it to do in the house.

I have been using Amazon AWS for four years.

Amazon AWS is quite stable, which is why it is used by many people.

Amazon AWS is highly scalable.

There's no tech support. AWS operates under a different model. There is no simple tech support available, as there is in other traditional methods. We have an enterprise account, so it's not like individual tickets; we have an enterprise client relationship, so it's very different.

It is easy to access them.

I've worked with a variety of service virtualization tools.we have not used anything from IBM. We don't use Azure, we use Amazon AWS. AWS as an IaaS or PaaS cloud solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. However, you can't give a broad overview of your setup as it depends on your use case.

There are numerous use cases, and the setup varies from complicated to very simple in some cases. As a result, I don't want to give a generic answer.

What other advice do I have?

It's quite good, I would rate Amazon AWS a ten out of ten.

Rajat_Gupta - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Security Officer at GlobalSign
Do not need to maintain hardware on-premises and can have full control over the infrastructure
  • "The main reason why we use EC2 is because we are not dependent on maintaining the hardware inside our premises. Also, we have full control over the infrastructure, and we can modify it as per our own requirements."
  • "Monitoring still needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a product cocktail service company, and we deliver identity-based solutions that customers can subscribe to. The back-end infrastructure is hosted in AWS.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us by saving money. Having a physical server on our premises is, of course, quite expensive as compared to building an EC2 instance in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

We use AWS in-built services like EC2, ECS, Lambda services, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, etc. AWS is a very big platform that provides a lot of services.

The main reason why we use EC2 is because we are not dependent on maintaining the hardware inside our premises. Also, we have full control over the infrastructure, and we can modify it as per our own requirements.

It is stable and scalable as well.

Installation is quite easy.

What needs improvement?

Monitoring still needs to be improved.

Better support for Windows Operating Systems would be appreciated. It is good for Linux but needs to improve for Windows.

I've been dealing with Amazon AWS for more than four years now.

We are experiencing 99.9% uptime already, so we have had no issues with stability.

It is scalable. We have configured our Auto Scaling options there, which enables us to install as the requirements increase. It auto scales the server.

Technical support is okay. I will not rate it too high, but I think it might be because it is part of a basic plan. We do not have the enterprise support plan.

You don't require much technical expertise to have an instance, so the initial setup is quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Amazon AWS at nine.

Hybrid Cloud
Amazon AWS
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
595,546 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Julio Cesar-Cunha - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Sales Account Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Organization visibility, great support, and highly scalable
  • "We have many projects where we can resolve a lot of issues with Amazon AWS. It has given customers a lot of visibility with their data. Many customers do not know what they can learn from their data and I provide them with this using useful information using Amazon AWS."
  • "The difficulty of the implementation depends on the project. We have a lot of very complicated and complex project which make the implementation more difficult. However, a small project can be very simple to implement. In general, over 90% of the project tend to be complex implementations."

What is our primary use case?

We used Amazon AWS when we work on a lot of projects in different situations or scenarios. We have done migrations from on-premise to cloud computing, projects involving data analytics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning.

Many of our customers use the website application that is hosted by Amazon AWS.

What is most valuable?

We have many projects where we can resolve a lot of issues with Amazon AWS. It has given customers a lot of visibility with their data. Many customers do not know what they can learn from their data and I provide them with this using useful information using Amazon AWS.

The Redshift features are very useful for large amounts of data.

I have been using Amazon AWS for approximately two years.

The solution is very stable.

Amazon AWS is scalable and it is very important for our customers.

We have a lot of customers using this solution and our largest customer has approximately 16,000 users using the solution.

The technical support is very good.

The difficulty of the implementation depends on the project. We have a lot of very complicated and complex project which make the implementation more difficult. However, a small project can be very simple to implement. In general, over 90% of the project tend to be complex implementations.

We are on an annual subscription for Amazon AWS.

What other advice do I have?

We create some processes to resolve some questions the customers have. They want to improve and have more visibility of their data, and how to extract information about their data. We help them with this problem.

Amazon AWS is the most important provider in the market. They have helped many of my customers.

I rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

Muhammad-Junaid - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at Skill Orbit
Feature-rich, stable, and it is easy to expand our service offering
  • "The most valuable features are load balancers, databases, and S3 buckets."
  • "There are some limitations for certain applications that happen regionally and it is an issue for us."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we use this solution to host applications for our customers. Their use cases are related to legal and advisory matters.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are load balancers, databases, and S3 buckets.

What needs improvement?

I have found some problems related to the database.

The price of this solution could be reduced to make it more competitive.

There are some limitations for certain applications that happen regionally and it is an issue for us. If we work with an application that is set up in New York, for example, then it has to be able to work in Pakistan.

I have been using Amazon AWS for between six and eight months.

We have not experienced any issues in terms of stability.

Scalability is not a problem. We are currently extending our use of Amazon AWS and have acquired a partnership with them. With this, we are creating a cloud department for which we will offer Amazon Web Services.

I did not have to call technical support.

Our deployment took between five and ten months.

I find that Amazon AWS is expensive.

I recently evaluated the Oracle Cloud Platform, and I find that Amazon is more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching AWS is to consider their budget. If the budget is available then it is a good choice, whereas, for those who want to spend less, I would suggest using Oracle instead.

Private Cloud

Eric Sousa - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Data Projects at Cognitivo
An on-demand cloud computing platform that has a lot of specific solutions for different use cases
  • "I like that the products are specific and objective. We can resolve a problem using a simple configuration. It's so easy to implement a solution and solve a problem using AWS solutions. AWS has a lot of specific solutions for different use cases. I think that this is the most important thing that made us consider using AWS."
  • "It would be better if there was a way to see which components were still on. We have some situations where I forget that some components are turned on. We forget some components are on, and we only see that these components are on when we see the bill at the end of the month. It would also be better if AWS had specialized firewalls or integrations with leading products. For example, a specialized firewall with content filtering. We were looking for some firewall tools, and we saw that AWS doesn't have any specialized firewall tools in its services portfolio. So, we are looking for other tools like FortKnox, Forcepoint, and Check Point because we didn't find the solutions in AWS services."

What is our primary use case?

We usually use Amazon AWS to implement data lake solutions. We extract data from an AWS project that we implement, or we extract data from databases and centralize them with AWS components in AWS services. So, we create an infrastructure for our clients to consume their data. I like the components we use, like Amazon DMS or Database Migration Services, F3, and Amazon Athena. I think that these are the main components or the main services that we use.

What is most valuable?

I like that the products are specific and objective. We can resolve a problem using a simple configuration. It's so easy to implement a solution and solve a problem using AWS solutions. AWS has a lot of specific solutions for different use cases. I think that this is the most important thing that made us consider using AWS.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if there was a way to see which components were still on. We have some situations where I forget that some components are turned on. We forget some components are on, and we only see that these components are on when we see the bill at the end of the month.

It would also be better if AWS had specialized firewalls or integrations with leading products. For example, a specialized firewall with content filtering. We were looking for some firewall tools, and we saw that AWS doesn't have any specialized firewall tools in its services portfolio. So, we are looking for other tools like FortKnox, Forcepoint, and Check Point because we didn't find the solutions in AWS services.

I have been using Amazon AWS for about three years.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS a nine.

Technical Solution Architect
Good functionality and UI with quick-responding technical support
  • "The initial implementation process is not difficult or complex."
  • "The availability could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for evaluation purposes.

What is most valuable?

The functionality and the UI are both very straightforward.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The stability is good.

Technical support is quick to assist.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be better. It's a bit expensive.

The availability could be better.

I've been using the solution for about two years.

I haven't had any issues that would bring stability into question. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I can't speak to the scaling. It's not something I've attempted. I just use it myself.

I can't say that there are plans to increase usage right now.

Technical support has been great. They are helpful and responsive. They are very fast.

This is my first cloud product. I did not use something previously.

The initial implementation process is not difficult or complex. It's straightforward. It's basically having the computing power, the storage, S3, and the database.

The implementation was handled in-house. We did not use an external integrator, reseller, or consultant.

It's a costly product.

We pay a monthly licensing fee. It's below $100 a month.

I haven't done any evaluations or comparisons with other products.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Ariful Mondal - PeerSpot reviewer
Consulting Practice Partner - Data, Analytics & Artificial Intelligence at Wipro Ltd
ExpertModerator
Great cloud platform with scalability a key feature
  • "Great scalability."
  • "Could be more user friendly and include additional applications."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for all modern application development and data-led processes as well as for building architecture, AWS Lambda and more scalable solutions for our clients on AWS cloud. I'm a practice partner of data analytics and AI.

What is most valuable?

This is a great cloud platform and scalability is an outstanding feature. It's very useful.

What needs improvement?

I think the solution could be more user-friendly, like Microsoft products. They could include a lot more applications and make free resources available. I'd like to see more code application within AWS to build modern and good applications. A lot of cases we deal with need to write a lot of code in AWS and it would be helpful if there were designer functionalities.

I've been using this solution for six years.

This is a very scalable solution. Most of the enterprises use AWS today, it's the number one cloud provider today.

AWS technical support is good. They have a partner that provides us with technical support. It's managed either by AWS or by partner support, and it's good.

Because the solution is on cloud, there's no real installation. You download to the cloud and login. When it comes to infrastructure positioning you need to have different teams. It requires some infrastructure support but it's fully managed by AWS. We plan to increase usage.

Licensing options are either a monthly pay for use option or a contract option.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.

I rate this product a nine out of 10.

Sergio Zuastegui - PeerSpot reviewer
Gerente regional de tecnología at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Scales well and expands easily and offers good configuration
  • "The scalability of the product is the solution's most valuable feature."
  • "The technical support should be better than what is on offer right now."

What is our primary use case?

We are running everything on the cloud. That's our primary use case. All the servers we are using are on AWS. The only thing we have on SAP's cloud is the analytics part. Everything else is running on AWS.

What is most valuable?

The scalability of the product is the solution's most valuable feature. It expands very, very easily.

I don't have any complaints about the configuration capabilities or the interface.

The pricing seems to be good.

What needs improvement?

The technical support should be better than what is on offer right now.

I've used the solution for a while now. It's been about four years in total, from what I recall.

The solution scales very well. If a company needs to expand it, it's very easy to do. It's one of the solution's most striking features.

The support could be better. It's an aspect of the solution that isn't as good as everything else. We aren't satisfied. They need to be more helpful and responsive.

We also use SAP. In terms of SAP, I'm running all my servers on this IP at this moment. We have our development, our quality, and also production sites on it.

We can't complain about the pricing. So far, it doesn't seem to be too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Amazon.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. We've been very, very happy with the capabilities we've been able to experience so far.

Private Cloud
Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.