We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Sr Solution Architect - Enterprise Storage and Virtualization at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Simplifies operations and provides the ability to manage everything from a single console
  • "Our clients value being able to upgrade with one click or a few clicks."
  • "They're getting better with their one-click upgrade. The success factor is now between 85% to 87% with the latest release. They should just continuously improve on that one-click factor and make it more seamless."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for consolidation, modernization of infrastructure, and simplification. That's what most customers are looking for with this solution.

I am using its latest release.

What is most valuable?

Our clients value being able to upgrade with one click or a few clicks.

The ability to manage everything from a single console is one of the key advantages that our clients see. They don't have to worry about how to manage the storage, how to manage the servers, and how to manage the virtualization layer. Everything comes in a single platform. As a result, IT teams are shrinking, and very often, the budgets are no longer for people. They're more for automation.

What needs improvement?

They're getting better with their one-click upgrade. The success factor is now between 85% to 87% with the latest release. They should just continuously improve on that one-click factor and make it more seamless.

It has been about a year, but previously, I have worked on the Fujitsu equivalent for many years.

It is very reliable.

Scalability is a misunderstood notion in the hyper-converged environment. Very often, people misunderstand what and how things are being scaled within a hyper-converged environment, and this is applicable to every solution out there. So, from a scalability point of view, in terms of the technology itself, it is fairly easy, but in terms of dollars and what it means, very often, people are a little bit surprised about it. If you want to upgrade your storage, you don't necessarily upgrade just one hard drive. If you're in all-flash storage, every node has to be upgraded. There are rules around disk groups and things of that nature, so it becomes a bit of a challenge, and sometimes, it is at a price that customers do not expect. The pricing and how things are evolving over a period of time are very often misunderstood by customers.

I don't deal with them. I am more on the presales and delivery side. I'm sure there are challenges around that, but I'm not aware of any concerns at this point.

It is very straightforward.

It varies. It could be $100,000 at the smaller end and millions and millions of dollars at the higher end.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very reliable and simplified solution. If you're looking for simplification of operations, this is a great solution to implement.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Paulo Xavier
Sales Manager at LTA-RH Informatica
Reseller
Stable with good software-defined storage and easy to set up
  • "The stability continues to get better and better. It's pretty reliable."
  • "The solution should offer more integration with other virtual software. VxRail runs just with VMware, however, maybe it should integrate with Hyper-V or with KVM as well."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a platform for all of the virtual platforms using VMware. We change the traditional infrastructure and don't sell any servers anymore. We're now selling appliances and VxRail and change the traditional platform to the hyper-converged platform.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers have found that there is better performance across all of the virtual platforms and the routings. Routing and running are now faster.

What is most valuable?

The software-defined storage and software-defined network are great. We can easily change to VMware on Amazon, or on Azure or on private Cloud running Vx. It's very flexible.

What needs improvement?

The performance of data centers needs to be improved. They need to process more and deliver more in the space of the storage and offer better performance.

The solution should offer more integration with other virtual software. VxRail runs just with VMware.

We've been dealing with the solution for three or four years now.

The stability continues to get better and better. It's pretty reliable.

You are able to scale up to 64 nodes at a maximum. It does scale to that size. I don't know of any client that would need 64. We have a few clients that have an installation of 16 to 24 nodes and that's rather sizable. Chances are you wouldn't have to scale quite as large as 64. Therefore, it would be a rare instance in which it wouldn't scale enough for a company.

All of our clients are quite large and government-related.

We've never had to reach out to technical support, not have our clients. We have an SLA, however, we really don't have many requests as the solution works very well.

The solution does not have a complex setup. It's very simple and very straightforward.

I've personally helped my clients with the initial setup. While I don't have all of the technical skills, I have a team that's very well versed in the product.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller. We sell the solution to our clients.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. It might be the latest, which is the most likely.

We launch the solution on-premises in order to launch a private cloud.

Overall, I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about VxRail. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Co-Founder and CEO at PT Eugenea Kreasi Utama
Powerful, user-friendly, and easy to manage
  • "Updating the product has been very easy."
  • "The cost is quite high. It's a very expensive solution to run."

What is our primary use case?

We're using three nodes appliance.

What is most valuable?

VxRail is a hyper-converged infrastructure that delivers a solution with full performance. It's scalable and easy to maintain.

The replication capabilities have been great.

We find the solution easy to manage.

The product is user-friendly and easy to navigate.

We have had zero problems so far with this product. It's quite reliable.

There is good support on offer.

It's a very quick product.

Updating the product has been very easy. Often, they let us know that there is an update pending so we can expect it.

The features are very powerful.

There are a lot of great features on offer.

We've found the scalability to be very good.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

The cost is quite high. It's a very expensive solution to run.

We purchased the solution originally in 2017. We've been using it for about four years or so at this point.

The stability of the product is great. We have not had any issues whatsoever and find it to be very reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

VxRail is easy to scale out. That said, from 2017 until now we're using just three nodes. We haven't upgraded our VxRail to scale. Therefore, we haven't personally scaled.

Dell EMC support is very, very good. They offer lots of useful information and are very friendly. We find them to be helpful and supportive. We're quite satisfied with the level of service they provide. They offer very good after-sales support. YOu can even invest in premium support.

The product is very, very expensive, even when you are renewing. It's a problem for us as management is complaining about the price.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd recommend this solution to others. It has a lot going for it in that the performance is good and it's reliable. They have great after-sales support and is generally easy to maintain. However, it is a very expensive option and a company needs to be prepared for the price tag.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten, however, if the pricing was a bit more reasonable, I would rate it higher.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the product.

Adeel  Akhtar
Team Lead IT Infrastructure & Datacenter at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Enables us to run all of our mid-layer applications and has good scalability
  • "The initial setup was not complex."
  • "A more containerized approach in regards to the interface would be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mainly as a middleware application. We work in banking and use VxRail to run all of our mid-layer applications.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have on-premise technical support.

A more containerized approach in regards to the interface would be better.

I have been using this solution for one year.

VxRail is very stable.

We haven't had problems with bugs, We recently updated VxRail and we haven't had any problems.

If there are any issues, we just open a ticket and are connected with an engineer who helps us solve the problem.

We use two solutions: Vxrail with a hypervisor on VMware; and HyperGrid, with a hypervisor on Microsoft Windows, 2016. Both solutions are different and have separate pros and cons.

The initial setup was not complex.

We had an integrator from Dell to help us set up everything. I can't remember exactly, but I believe deployment took only one or two days.

Pricing its depend on your requirement well licensing is very simple all VMware and other license cost including in VxRail. But If an organization wants to buy a VMware enterprise license, then they need to pay separately.

What other advice do I have?

VxRail is a good solution, but it all depends on your strategy. We could build our own VMware cluster by buying a separate product. Technically, I could purchase a server and then built my own solution, but with VxRail, everything comes in one box, including licensing, Dell EMC and VMware — It's nice and simple. Although, if an organization wants to buy a hypervisor layer on Microsoft, then that's another story. There are many solutions available for this, including Cisco, which uses Unity to provide a hypervisor layer. HyperGrid uses Windows 2016 on its host operating system. It all comes down to your strategy and roadmap. You need to select your hypervisor first. If you go with VMware, then VxRail is a great choice; however, if you're not using a VMware hypervisor, then there are many other options to choose from.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VxRail a rating of nine, simply because there is always room for improvement.

Cyber Security Analyst at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Great deduplication with data conversion capabilities and very user-friendly
  • "The initial setup is simple."
  • "We'd like to see more automation capabilities in the future."

What is most valuable?

The data conversion capabilities are very good.

Deduplication is excellent.

The initial setup is simple.

What needs improvement?

As of right now, I cannot think of any improvements, as it has been working very well.

It might help if there was more confidentiality between VxRail and the Data Domain for Backup. There are several issues with backup solutions. We'd like integration with Avamar.

We'd like to see more automation capabilities in the future.

I've been using the solution for about one year.

The solution is like a rock. It's extremely stable. We've had no issues. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches.

We haven't tested the scalability and therefore I cannot comment on its capabilities.

Currently, we have more than 1,000 users on the solution. They are basically working with the database.

Next year, we have plans to increase usage. e plan on getting more customers and therefore will need to bill for more storage.

For any phase-one issues, I would first go to the integrator. I can escalate straight to the vendor if I need to. So far, our experience with the integrator has been very good. We have no complaints.

We didn't have any issues with the initial setup. It was very straightforward and not overly complex.

Our contract partner handles any maintenance tasks.

An integrator assisted us with the initial implementation process. They were very professional and the experience overall was positive.

I can't speak to the licensing aspects of the solution. It's basically just a one-time purchase.

There are very many competitors between the hyper-converged solutions, such as Nutanix and Dell, and so on. We also looked at VMware options. However, we are wanted to go with something that was more stable and we're generally attracted to Dell.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

It's a very stable system. It's very easy to use. You just need one desktop for control over all the items of the system. As of now, it's been problem-free.

I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Thiago Souza
Solutions Architect at Net Place
MSP
A very good and fast platform with good throughput and scalability
  • "My customers use it for VDI. It has been very usable and very fast to use with VDI. On the VxRail side also, it has been very fast."
  • "Its price needs to be improved. It is very expensive. NSX should be licensed together. It will make the network virtualization layer more usable. It would be better if they come together in a bundle, not separately."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a reseller. I've been selling VxRail as well as Nutanix for about one to two years. My customers use this solution as a virtualization server for general virtualization and also for VDI. I am currently selling versions 70 and 71.

How has it helped my organization?

For the main boot systems where all virtual machines are deployed, it has been very effective on the throughput side. We have a much faster deployment of the machines after they are located on the host disk as compared to the storage side.

What is most valuable?

My customers use it for VDI. It has been very usable and very fast to use with VDI. On the VxRail side also, it has been very fast.

What needs improvement?

Its price needs to be improved. It is very expensive.

NSX should be licensed together. It will make the network virtualization layer more usable. It would be better if they come together in a bundle, not separately.

It has been very stable. I haven't seen many problems with it, and I do not have any complaints about it.

It is quite easy to scale. You just need to add more nodes.

Our clients are both medium and large companies. Most of our clients have a virtual environment, and they use VMware as a traditional infrastructure and add VxRail to it. As the company grows, the usage of this solution will also grow.

Their technical support is very good. It is 10 out of 10.

The initial setup is quite simple and very easy.

I live in Brazil, and my customers are from Brazil. It is quite an expensive solution. It is more expensive than the traditional environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend VxRail because is simple to use and administer. It just saves time in deploying the platform. Most of the teams are already able to use VMs and have experience with that. You just have to improve a little bit of storage knowledge. It is not very much different, and you don't have to learn a whole new platform. It is easy, and you should use it.

I would rate VxRail a nine out of ten. It is a very good platform.

Sales Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easily scalable thanks to HCI infrastructure; first layer of tech support has room for improvement
  • "The most valuable feature for me in this latest release has been the ability to add a compute or storage node. In the previous release, if I wanted to add only the compute mode, I need to buy a full node, including both compute and storage. That is no longer the case; I can upgrade whatever I want one based on my demand."
  • "Some of the features of the hyperconverged infrastructure could be integrated with external storage. Right now, for example, if I have surveillance going, I need to purchase very cheap storage. So, an integration between the hyperconverged infrastructure and external storage would be good."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the VxRail hyperconverged infrastructure to host some of our applications' virtual machines. We have customized this virtual machine and our applications serve different departments within the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me in this latest release has been the ability to add a compute or storage node. In the previous release, if I wanted to add only the compute mode, I need to buy a full node, including both compute and storage. That is no longer the case. I can upgrade whatever I want one based on my demand.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to have a mechanism that identifies whether or not the configuration has been done well. Right now, we are doing that manually. A compliance check would be a helpful feature.

I have been using VxRail for almost three years now.

The stability and performance of VxRail are excellent.

VxRail is very scalable. This is one of the advantages of hyperconverged infrastructure: Whenever you need to scale, all you have to do is add a node. We use this product on a daily basis.

The first layer of technical support is not well equipped to help you identify the root cause of issues. However, the second level is.

There is room for improvement with the first level of technical support.

The initial setup was not complex, it was very straightforward. Deployment took us three to four days.

The maintenance we do on it now is mostly preventative.

We have two people working on VxRail.

The pricing is reasonable considering the value of this product.

There are no additional licensing and support costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to other users.

MIS Manager at MGM
Flexible, resource efficient and helpful support
  • "It helps our servers and it is very efficient."
  • "What I did not like so much was the amount of VMware that you have to put in your system related to the VxRail."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our data center.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps our servers and it is very efficient.

What is most valuable?

It's very flexible. We can add more servers as much as we want. It also includes the VMware license, I find this good. We do not waste a lot of resources because you are able to use them efficiently, depending on the usage and the processing unit that is used in a node or not.

What needs improvement?

I cannot think of anything right now, nothing in coming to my mind.

The implementation started last December and it went on to January and February; in total, we have used it for less than one year.

It is a stable solution.

It is very easy to add new servers, the scalability is very easy.

We did contact technical support. In the beginning, we had some tickets with them. They responded well and were very helpful.

We did the setup through the service provider because we didn't have the experience. It was something new for us, so we went through them to get help. They showed us how to migrate from the old service to the new one and we continued to do the process. The implementation took two days for the setup.

What I did not like so much was the amount of VMware that you have to put in your system related to the VxRail. This uses a lot of resources and not all of them are necessary. We did not use everything that came with VxRail to set it up so it is okay.

We also evaluated another product by Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product, we have another site that we need to replace the data center and we will implement the same solution.

I would rate VxRail nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free VxRail Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.