We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Paulo Henrique Cruz Da Silva
Arquiteto de infraestrutura at Raizen
Good pricing, very good performance, and doesn't use too many resources
  • "The pricing is very, very good."
  • "I can't speak to any missing features or weak aspects of the system just yet. We haven't had a chance to really dig in."

What is our primary use case?

Our goal is to deploy a new CITRIX environment - migration from actual legacy model (hardware) to this new solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Still waiting deliverance - delayed due SARs-COV2 restrictions.

What is most valuable?

The solution is good in terms of being resilient with resources. For example, it can process memory well.

We are packaging it with an HCI solution from VMware which pairs well with VxRail. It improves the solution.

The pricing is very, very good.

The overall performance is going to be elevated, giving the customers a better experience.

What needs improvement?

Currently we're still in the process of implementation .

The solution is stable. We haven't really worked on it yet, however.

We plan to scale the solution to 3,000 users and therefore we have a good idea of how much it can scale for us. We are pretty happy with it's potential to scale.

Technical support has been very good. We're very satisfied with the level of support they give us.

We previously used an older version of the solution. We switched so that we could change the load solution.

The solution hasn't really arrived yet. We're still in the process of the implementation strategy. We're working with our reseller in order to implement everything.

We're not sure how long deployment will take us in the end. That's yet to be seen.

We are going to deploy the solution in perhaps three months, we expect. At this point, we're going to plan the installation, plan the rollout of our actual solution between HPE Blade and the old solution. We're going to install VxRail, deploy Citrix environment, and so on.

We're getting our reseller to also implement the solution for us. Dell EMC offers installations and we've opted to let them handle it.

I wasn't involved in the negotiation of terms, therefore it's hard to discuss the ROI we expect.

We've found the pricing to be pretty good.

For the license option, we're buying a five-year solution. It's a full box. We buy the hardware and software solution for five years. Therefore, there's that VMware solution, licensing for five years, and the hardware valid five years of warranty. At this moment, there are no other fees.

We evaluated two other options before choosing this product. The first was Nutanix and SimpliVity from HP.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer of Dell.

We have knowledge about the VMware solution. With VxRail, we will be increasing our knowledge. Therefore, we're expecting to improve our internal solutions and the overall solutions for our internal consumers.

While we haven't implemented it yet, we're expecting it will improve our environment a lot. We're excited to be working with it.

Overall, from what I have seen so far, I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Co Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Great for a large company, easy to deploy, and easy to scale up
  • "VxRail is easy to deploy and easy to scale up."
  • "You have to buy a new server if you want to scale up."

What is our primary use case?

We work with Dell's Italian partner, so we go where the market goes. When Dell merged with EMC, we did several courses, and I got a certification with VxRail. We usually work with companies that have projects. We are solution architects. We don't work with software, programs, databases, or custom software.

What is most valuable?

VxRail is easy to deploy and easy to scale up, but you have to buy a new server if you want to scale up—not just a classic solution like RAM, CPU, or more disk. The solution would be good for a great company that is dynamic and wants to go up very fast.

What needs improvement?

When you converge the solution, you have to be very careful because the great scalability comes at an important cost. If you want to use three nodes with a standard license, for example, and you want to converge the solution with three nodes, you have chosen the wrong product because you have to buy a new server if you want to scale up.

In my opinion, the lack of improvement is from a commercial point of view, not from a technical point of view.

It also lacks a single easy remote server for disaster recovery.

We started using VxRail three years ago.

The stability is great because it is based on VMware, so it's the same panel and same code.

VxRail has great scalability.

Dell's EMC technical support is very good.

The initial setup process is pretty straightforward. Technically speaking, there could be some complications, but Dell's support is very good.

In the course for VxRail, they tell you that it's a single click to deploy. From a technical viewpoint, that isn't true because you have to build the rack system. If the system is projected well, then you have a single click to deploy it with a single panel of glass.

The price could be lower. If the price were dropped, the products could sell more easily.

Compared to Nutanix, we are not as aggressive in the market, but VxRail is a good product with good design. If VxRail is to compete with Nutanix, it needs a single easy remote server for disaster recovery, but that depends on vSAN, which the design of VxRail is based on. The core of vSAN is not designed for this, maybe because vSAN customers are higher level.

What other advice do I have?

I would give this solution a 9 out of 10.

VxRail isn't for a small company. If you need less than five servers, you could technically use it, but there are probably other solutions that are cheaper. A classic solution for a small customer is cheaper than other convergence solutions.

In my mind, the hyper-convergence solution is a requirement only for a great company. If you are a small Italian company that isn't going to scale up for a few years, it's very difficult to afford the price, and you might have a problem with technical knowledge as well because your normal technicians won't be able to assist in other convergence solutions if you have an issue. In this case, we prefer traditional systems over VxRail to give the client the correct stability and simple management.

Learn what your peers think about VxRail. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good performance, easy updating, and a super simple setup
  • "The update process is very convenient."
  • "The price should come down a little bit. It has become better than it was at the beginning. There was a really big price difference between a hyper-converged infrastructure and the classic servers and storage. The gap is lessening, however, it's still there."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily deploy the solution to medium-sized businesses from different markets, from automotive to sales to medical, etc.

What is most valuable?

The installation was really easy to perform.

The most valuable aspect on VxRail is the one-click update where they are doing the updates all at once for the drivers, buyers, ID reg, and for the VMS. In one click it's running. It's great.

The performance is very good.

The update process is very convenient.

What needs improvement?

The price should come down a little bit. It has become better than it was at the beginning. There was a really big price difference between a hyper-converged infrastructure and the classic servers and storage. The gap is lessening, however, it's still there.

I first saw VxRail in 2016 when I was at EMC World in Las Vegas. I found it was a very, very interesting solution then, however, we didn't make our first installation until 2018.

The scalability is great. You can scale within the system easily. You just put in more disks and more memory. Even if you stop with one CPU, you can add a second one or you can go and just add another when customers come and say, "Okay we need more." We just buy another node and put it in. Within, let's say, 20 minutes, the node is within the cluster. It's quick and easy.

For us, we used to earn our money with installing and updating, etc., however, the customer's doing it all by himself now, even if he gets a new server or cluster, it's one each click.

Since we do not use the VxRail internally and we are just sending it to our customers, we have a technical team of about 10 people that are working in the service. Within this, there are three people who are working with VxRail.

How useful technical support really is in terms of solving the issue at hand depends on who you get. It's not only at Dell EMC. It's at Fujitsu, it's at HP, at Lenovo. It depends on which person you get on the other line of the phone. Sometimes it's great and there's no problem. Within a few minutes, the problem is solved. Sometimes you have to wait for the second or the third person that you get to be able to know what the problem is and be able to help you solve it.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution.

The big advantage of the VxRail is the one-click update. If you are using, let's say HP or Fujitsu, and use the standard VSAM cluster, then you have to update the virtual center, you have to update the host, you have to update the VSAM, you have to update drivers, etc.

You also have to consider the HCL, whether the driver fits to that new VM version. For example, let's say from the customer side when they are working with the solution, there's no big difference whether the user is working with VxRail or the VSAM cluster. However, when you look at it from a maintenance and updating perspective, the VxRail really offers a superior system.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. The product is almost perfect. It really does fit the needs of our customers.

Senior Cloud Consultant at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Compute, storage, networking and virtualization resources in a single device
  • "VxRail alleviates the operational constraints within an organization."
  • "The way that the VxRail is licensed could be improved."

What is most valuable?

VxRail alleviates the operational constraints within an organization. It really frees up resources as it requires little maintenance. If you're providing a platform that has consolidated compute, storage, and fabric, then it's basically a turnkey type of solution that organizations can use. It also has one patch, so you're not dealing with several different ecosystems, for example, one supplier for storage, one supplier for compute, and one supplier for networking. It's all bundled into one platform which reduces costs. That also makes it easier to maintain and manage as well.

What needs improvement?

I have been using VxRail for two and a half years.

It's absolutely a stable product. The reason why we chose this solution and that particular type of technology were that we were running many different private clouds within our data centers. Considering the time spent on the maintenance and the patchwork, if we've consolidated and we're offering one platform to house over 3000 clients and over a thousand private clouds, it is a very stable platform. Given the fact that it's a software-defined technology, if it resides within a software-defined data center, the analytics are very transparent and it's easy to address a singular patch across an entire landscape of clients. It's very stable. In terms of scalability, capacity, and modularity, that's the reason why we selected it.

I don't have first-hand experience with technical support. We have a support help desk. Clients can call in and we help them with VxRail. I've never had to contact their support for help with any client issues.

If you partner with Dell, they offer Dell ProDeploy support and SmartHands. We hire them to do the shipping and implementation into a client's data center, whether that's on-prem or in a third-party incumbent location, such as our data center. They have a lot of expertise behind that. from my perspective, it always runs fairly smoothly.

Generally, we procure VxRail through Dell and then we sell it back to the client within our margin. With VxRail, comes Dell's ProDeploy and SmartHands capability to ship and then install.

The way that VxRail is licensed could be improved. I'm not entirely sure, but I think what I encounter is licensing VMware as Dell. Dell and VMware go together and I think that the licensing has become quite complicated and costly. For things like vSAN especially, having those types of skews displayed and a bit easier to understand how the licensing works behind the infrastructure would be a nice change.

Licensing things like vSphere on top of the platform itself can be quite tricky to manage. For anyone wanting a subscription-based model or a perpetual model, that's always quite important to scrutinize.

What other advice do I have?

Although it's really the only hyper-converged platform that I have any experience with, overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give VxRail a rating of ten. I understand the competitiveness between Nutanix and NetApp and other hyper-converged platforms. But I think that given the strengths behind Dell and their acquisition of VMware, it makes for a very solid platform — it's very reliable. We've benchmarked our whole company off of hyper-converged Dell.

Network Admin at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable with an easy initial setup and has good updating features
  • "The updating of the features was one aspect of the solution that made us decide to use it."
  • "All updates are supposed to be done through VxRail, however, the vCenter actually showed that there was an update it needed. I've just started using the product. I didn't know what I was doing. I actually updated my vCenter and that actually threw the VxRail system offline. We had to spend some time trying to get that working again. If possible, they should make the process a bit more clear so we don't make mistakes like this in the future. There should maybe be some sort of pop-up that can direct you."

What is our primary use case?

We have four nodes. We're using it for our VMware infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The updating of the features was one aspect of the solution that made us decide to use it. I have yet to actually do an update, however.

What needs improvement?

All updates are supposed to be done through VxRail, however, the vCenter actually showed that there was an update it needed. I've just started using the product. I didn't know what I was doing. I actually updated my vCenter and that actually threw the VxRail system offline. We had to spend some time trying to get that working again. If possible, they should make the process a bit more clear so we don't make mistakes like this in the future. There should maybe be some sort of pop-up that can direct you.

I haven't used the solution for too long. So far, it's only been about two to two and a half months.

Aside from our mistake updating the vCenter, which threw things off, we haven't had any issues. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't freeze. So far, it's been rather reliable.

As far as the documentation goes, it seems to be scalable. I haven't had to do any scaling, however, the documentation certainly makes it seem like it's just a matter of adding another node and everything will just work fine.

So far, the technical support has been pretty good. We actually worked with a third-party who worked with Dell on the vCenter problem we had. So far, they seem knowledgable and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service our organization receives.

We did not previously use a hyper-converged solution. We had a Cisco UCS and we needed to update it. We looked at HyperFlex and at VxRail. We're actually a big Cisco and a big Dell shop, however, on the server-side, we're more of a Dell shop and I liked the step updating. That's pretty much why we went with that.

The initial setup was not complex. It was pretty straightforward for us.

We had a technician from Dell actually do the initial setup. It helped make the entire process very seamless.

We don't have to pay for anything after the initial purchase. There aren't ongoing licensing costs. I don't know the exact price of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a professional relationship with the company.

If an organization is considering implementing the solution, I would advise they get some help doing so, unless they have the correct staff in house that can handle it, or they are very concerned about getting outside help for some reason. The technician that helped us got right through it. I would have been hard-pressed to get the implementation done on my own.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. Aside from the one issue we had at the beginning with the update confusion, it's been very good.

Pre sales Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Compatible with vSAN and a less disruptive way to migrate to a more scalable architecture
  • "Management of the hardware and software in one console is the most valuable feature. It's also compatible with vSAN."
  • "Technically speaking, the vCenter and the administration of the integration of the vCenter could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The main reason a customer would acquire VxRail is if they're looking for a platform for more easy management of hardware and software.

I'm a presale engineer and we are a business partner with VxRail, so we sell the solution. We make consulting sales for other customers. Version 7.0 is the last version of VxRail that we've worked with.

What is most valuable?

Management of the hardware and software in one console is the most valuable feature. It's also compatible with vSAN.

What needs improvement?

Technically speaking, the vCenter and the administration of the integration of the vCenter could be improved. I know that VxRail has two options to manage the cluster with an external and internal vCenter. There are some concerns about managing the cluster with an external vCenter, which is not included in the appliance. This is the only thing that I've found to be quite complicated because if the customer has an existing platform with a vCenter and we wanted to integrate it with the new cluster of VxRail, there are some concerns about losing the external vCenter.

The second processor upgrade could be an additional feature included in the next release.

It would also be great if the second processor operated without factory reset because I have had many customers ask me about that.

I think there are some things to improve with the stability because I talk with the implementation engineers a lot. I don't implement the solution, but the engineers that implement and update and maintain the platform of VxRail told me that the solution sometimes gets problems with updating the versions of the firmware and the software. The software that comes on VxRail doesn't work smoothly because they have problems with updates.

It's scalable. You can increase a cluster without downtime for the customer. You can add more discs and more drives for the clients. The only thing that could be improved is that when I designed the appliance with one processor, the engineers of the EMC told me that if a client has one processor and you want to upgrade the appliance with a second processor, you can do it without a factory reset of the appliance. So, if the client has an appliance cluster or nodes cluster with one processor for each appliance, and the customer wants to upgrade with a second processor for each appliance, there is another viable option because you have to reset all the clusters and delete all the data. It would be better if there was a way to make a second processor upgrade without a factory reset.

I haven't had any experience with tech support because I'm in presales.

When I asked for a quote for a partner that was doing the implementation, they told me that it took two people to complete the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I would give VxRail an 8 out of 10.

The main advantage is that VxRail is integrated with vSAN. I think that most people who use VMware also use vSphere. It's like a less disruptive way to migrate a platform to a hyper-converged architecture. My main advice is that if a customer has vSAN, this is a less disruptive way to migrate to a more scalable architecture.

CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable with great performance-inspired management tools and good stability
  • "VxRail has given us a lot of tools in a one-stop-shop environment."
  • "In the next release, maybe they could add in integration with the hyper-cloud so it will be easier to do the movement up and back to the cloud in order to scale in and scale out."

What is our primary use case?

For small companies that want to have several nodes and a lot of computing with a small amount of storage for databases and SQLs, this solution works well. They can use it to replicate the data.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is a combination of a few things. It's fairly scalable, for example. It has a lot of performance-inspired management tools. They are very important to us to be able to manage and monitor the entire solution. VxRail has given us a lot of tools in a one-stop-shop environment.

The solution has been very stable so far.

The initial setup is very easy.

Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, maybe they could add in integration with the hyper-cloud so it will be easier to do the movement up and back to the cloud in order to scale in and scale out.

If I could have some kind of a container-based solution, I'd be happier. That way I would be able to run my containers, my Kubernetes, in that environment.

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point.

The solution is very stable and the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product can scale very well. It's a notable aspect of the solution itself. If the company needs to expand, it can do so.

More than 200 customers are running on that solution.

I've dealt with technical support. I'd give them a ten out of ten.

I also have experience with Nutanix. I know all of these kinds of hyper-converged systems.

The initial setup was not overly complex. It was very easy. I used a certified partner to do the installation.

It took less than a week and the system was up and running.

How much of a technical team is needed for deployment depends on the customer. That said if the team is about seven people they can run everything including security and the regulation and whatever we need to run the solution. In our case, there were seven engineers. One of them is the manager, and they all handled everything including networking, the system, and the protection.

We ended up using a certified partner that helped us with the installation. While we used an integrator the first time, we can do it by ourselves now.

We need to buy our license to renew it after a five-year period. The license is for five years.

We did a POC with Nutanix and with SimpliVity. We wanted to see how well they would suit our organizational requirements and only did small tests.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Ahmed Gamil
PreSales Manager at UC-Solutions
Simple management, one portal easy access, and fully integrated
  • "Dell owns the EMC, EMC owns VMware, and there are many other interconnections throughout the industry which allows a fully integrated solution from a technical perspective."
  • "There is limited support for SAP HANA with this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I am working for a service provider, we provide IT services for our customer in Egypt. I have deployed this solution in approximately 10 companies. The solution provides many components into one box for data centers.

What is most valuable?

When it comes to valuable features there are two different areas. From the business perspective, it is a lot cheaper, simple to manage, and easy to store in a small data center. You will only need small preparations for all the credential from the data center. From a technical perspective, you are able to manage all your data centers from one portal.

Dell owns the EMC, EMC owns VMware, and there are many other interconnections throughout the industry which allows a fully integrated solution from a technical perspective. If you open a ticket related to hardware or software it is from the same portal.

Additionally, we do not have a lot of issues with the customers related to the workloads or any sort of business related to this solution, we do not have issues with compatibility.

What needs improvement?

There is limited support for SAP HANA with this solution. Sometimes there are customers we have that want a solution based on SAP HANA and it is not compatible.

I have been using this solution for three years.

We have found the solution to be stable.

The solution has scaled well for us. When you need to scale up all you need to have is additional nodes to insert, power them on, pre-configure, and it is in production.

The support was very fast at responding and resolving issues in all the tickets we created with them.

The installation is very straightforward. You forward your IP, password, and some other information then you are done.

The deployment is based on two scenarios, the budget and the software that would be running over the virtual machines in VMware and on this solution.

There are multiple series within this solution, we have to select the right sizing for the customer needs. If the company needs to implement SAP, Oracle, or regular infrastructure, based on this information we provide the solution business series. There are many things to consider, what is the nodes needed for the configuration, this could be three, four, five, etc. Which license is required with VMware, either standard or enterprise. Staying within the budget is important, this solution can be expensive and is based partially on the workloads that they will work on.

The solution is priced well for businesses.

What other advice do I have?

One of the issues I come across when we implement the solution is our customer's technical team do not have the knowledge of VMware and the technical operational components. They need to be trained very well before they start using the solution.

If you are wanting to improve your data centers this solution is one small box that can be used in a data center providing low power consumption and requiring minimal administration. You are almost able to combine all the business into one.

I rate VxRail a ten out of ten.

Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free VxRail Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.