We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Bhaskar Venkat Kota
Sr. System Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to navigate, Heterogeneous platform support, works well for Oracle
  • "It supports multiple, heterogeneous platforms."
  • "The deployment time is longer than it is with other products."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Veritas NetBackup is one of the backup and recovery solutions that we implement for our customers.

What is most valuable?

This is a product that I recommend for enterprise environments with mixed servers.

It supports Unix, Linux, Solaris, and AIX servers very well. It supports multiple, heterogeneous platforms.

This is a good product for backing up Oracle databases.

The interface is very easy to navigate. I could step away from the product and not use it for two years, then return and find that I can easily navigate all of the features.

What needs improvement?

The deployment time is longer than it is with other products.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup since 1998.

This is a very stable product.

This is a scalable product and it is the one that I recommend for large environments. I like the combination of Veritas and Data Domain.

In my new company, where I am now, I have three or four customers who are using this product.

The technical support from Veritas is good.

I have experience with several backup and recovery solutions, including products by Veritas, Commvault, and Veeam.

Installing Veritas is okay and I find it easy. It can be deployed by one engineer.

Deploying Veritas will take longer than other products, such as Veeam. The length of time it takes depends on how big the environment is, and how many servers there are.

The licensing fees are expensive. It is a capacity-based license that is billed on a yearly basis. I renew it every year.

What other advice do I have?

I know this product well and it is very good. I definitely recommend it for others if they have a very heterogeneous environment. This is not a product for smaller customers. I have other recommendations, such as Backup Exec, which is very cheap and good for SMB-level customers.

Senior DBA Sql Server, Oracle at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
Trouble-free backup and restore, but the pricing and performance should be improved
  • "The most valuable feature is the trouble-free operation, as we have not had many problems with it."
  • "The speed of restoring data could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This is our default backup solution for our data and storage.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We are not able to back up our attached drives, which is something that should be improved.

The speed of restoring data could be improved.

The pricing is an area that can be improved.

I have been in touch with technical support and I would say that they are okay. I wouldn't rate them "very bad" or "very good" because I haven't been dissatisfied, yet I haven't seen anything impressive either.

The area for improvement that I can see with support is that they have to have better internal coordination. Multiple people or teams work on the same problem and the coordination on their end could be better.

The team who was working on the initial setup was well aware of what they needed to do, so it was straightforward.

We have two people who do the maintenance.

We had third-party assistance with the deployment and we are satisfied with the experience.

I find the cost of this solution to be high. The licensing is done based on the size of the source. If you have a source size of one terabyte then they will charge for a one terabyte license, although what is actually being stored is much less. This is something that they can improve on.

We have been exploring other options that are available in the market. Products like Veeam have similar features, so we will continue our evaluation and consider cost as one of the main factors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering Veritas NetBackup is that it's not a bad product and it's good to be prepared. I suggest reviewing the price in advance.

I find it to be not a bad product, but it would be much better with improvements to pricing and performance.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Desktop Support Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable, easy to use, and stable
  • "There's a very nice central console for the administration of all of the instances."
  • "The pricing is a bit of a concern. If could be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for various workloads, including the SQL workload.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use and easy to navigate.

There's a very nice central console for the administration of all of the instances.

The solution is stable.

We find the product scales well.

Customer support is very quick to respond.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is a bit of a concern. If could be lower.

We find the solution needs better integration capabilities when it comes to mid-range and enterprise-level environments.

I've been using the solution for seven to eight years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability is very good. there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is great.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand its usage, it can do so.

We have 3,000 people on the product currently.

Technical support is great. they are fast and very helpful. We are satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The deployment is fats. It took us about three to four hours to do a basic installation with our client.

We have 25 to 30 admins that can handle maintenance and deployment within our organization.

We help out clients install the product.

I personally can handle the implementation myself and don't need a consultant or integrator.

The pricing is high. They need to work to make it lower or more competitive.

Our customers directly purchase the license.

What other advice do I have?

Per the customer requirement, we are providing consultancy services and providing the licenses, as well as implementation services to clients.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We're quite satisfied with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the product to other users and companies.

Vice President of Information Technology at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Efficient deduplication, reasonable price, easy installation, and good stability and scalability
  • "Deduplication is quite efficient. It is not a complex product. It is quite simple."
  • "It should be able to integrate with the cloud. If we leverage a cloud in the future for backup, there should be very fast help and more options for customers to choose from."

What is our primary use case?

It is used to back up the hypervisor. In terms of its version, we keep it updated from time to time, but we are not using its latest version currently.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication is quite efficient. It is not a complex product. It is quite simple.

What needs improvement?

It should be able to integrate with the cloud. If we leverage a cloud in the future for backup, there should be very fast help and more options for customers to choose from.

We have been using this solution for many years.

It is quite stable.

It is scalable. We have less than ten users, and they are mostly the IT staff. We don't have many users because we use a tool to back up from the central file servers. Users don't directly use it to back up on their own, but when a user needs to restore something, they come to IT.

We have a local partner for support, and they contact Veritas. Our local partner is quite okay and experienced in the product.

We were using Backup Instant, which is a smaller version of the Veritas NetBackup solution. We didn't use any other solution.

Its installation is quite straightforward. The deployment can take a week if you have a clear backup requirement.

We have a consultant to help. If you are doing an installation that is related to the hypervisor, you need an engineer for support because of the connected drivers and equipment.

Its price is quite reasonable. The cost depends on the depreciation and the volume. It also depends on the infrastructure. If your infrastructure increases, you would need some more licenses.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to keep using this solution. I would rate Veritas NetBackup an eight out of ten.

Solutions Platform Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Feature-rich, but they need better attack protection
  • "It's a good product, it does what we want it to do."
  • "In the next release, I would like to have a better way to protect against ransomware attacks and a better way of logging issues where you don't have to enable the verbose logging to capture the problems."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mainly for back up and to restore.

What is most valuable?

It's a good product, it does what we want it to do. It has a 99.8% backup success rate, and it runs 24,000 jobs per day.

We like all of the features.

What needs improvement?

The ransomware protection needs improvement.

The reporting tool that you get out of the box is not sufficient, so you have to purchase other tools or modules.

When it's out of the box, the visibility is a problem and it's not very clear. Overall, the visibility into the environment is lacking.

When you come across an issue to present to technical support, you have to enable the verbose logging, and when that happens you are generating huge amounts of log files. I have to wait for this problem to present itself again. I cannot leave it running on verbose logging, as it takes up the capacity from the logs. However, if I don't enable it then I won't be able to locate the issue.

I have been working with Veritas NetBackup for eight years.

Veritas NetBackup is stable. We have not experienced any issues.

It's a scalable solution.

We have a very strong team and haven't had to log many calls with technical support.

We are happy with the pricing that we have, but it's expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think that Veritas is a very good product and I recommend it.

It's an expensive tool but it does its job very well. It has a 99.8 % success rate.

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a seven out of ten.

System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable backup solution suitable for virtually anything
  • "It's durable — we achieve what we expect from it."
  • "It's not a user-friendly solution. It's a little bit complicated. The UI is not very friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup as a backup solution for virtually everything. Everything you can imagine can be backed up with this solution.

Within our organization, there are roughly 2,000 employees. We definitely plan to continue using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The virtual SAN is good. All backup products have the same features but it's all about your ability with the code when you are using them. It's durable — we achieve what we expect from it.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

Veritas is stable and flexible. When you're talking about virtualization backup, Veritas is great in a secure environment. It's totally virtualized. It's a good solution.

This solution is very scalable.

The support isn't that great. It could be improved. They should have a faster response time.

The initial installation is quite straightforward. Overall, installation takes roughly one hour.

I've installed this solution many times by myself. If you don't have experience with backup solutions, I think it may be challenging for a beginner.

Our technical team consists of four people, including myself, that handle the installation process.

I am currently evaluating NetBackup as it's required for use on the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I trust Veritas. I would recommend this solution to a friend or to any company. But remember, what you'll get from it depends on your personal ability.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. If the support was faster and the solution was more user-friendly, I would give it a higher rating.

Antony Beni
Head IT at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reasonably priced, comfortable to use, and competitive feature set
  • "I am comfortable with using this product."
  • "The restoration method and the compression ratio need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup for backup.

I am the head of the institution and my team is using this solution. It is used by my team. It is evaluated and secured by me, but my storage team uses it 100 percent. I manage this product.

What is most valuable?

I am comfortable with using this product.

What needs improvement?

I don't believe that it is flexible enough for business operations and other things.

Unlike Veeam, Veritas does not provide a Community Edition.

The restoration method and the compression ratio need improvement.

I had been using Veritas NetBackup for ten years.

I am now working with the Veeam Backup solution. I have been working with Veeam Backup for two and half years. I am using the Community Edition.

I am very satisfied with this product. It's stable and scales well.

We never approached Veeam for technical help as a community addition because community addition does not include technical support.

I would rate Veeam Backup a nine out of ten.

The restoration method and the compression ratio, appear to be slightly better than Veritas.

Both are different, it is difficult to compare. I am comfortable in both they are neck in neck in terms of competition.

It is reasonably priced.

It is dependent on the institution as well as the company's requirements. Veeam provides a free corporate license for their platform, whereas Veritas does not. Perhaps there will be a trial version period, after which we will need to purchase it.

Veeam, for example, has a Community Edition, which is free for usage, without any support. This does not exist in Veritas. You can try it for 30, 40 days, or a month trial, then you need to pay for it and start the obligation. For example, I use Veeam without any subscription or license. There is a big difference.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veritas NetBackup an eight out of ten.

Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have more than 1,800 policies that run every day, so the product is stable, but it is challenging to get support when we have a problem

What is our primary use case?

We use NetBackup to protect our data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the NDMP.

I've been using Veritas for around five years, but the bank has been using it for longer. They started migrating to NetBackup almost eight years ago.

NetBackup is highly stable. We have more than 1,800 policies that run every day. So the product is stable, but it is challenging to get support when we have a problem.

We scale NetBackup, but it's never so much that we need to add a media server in our environment.

They need to improve their support.…

What is our primary use case?

We use NetBackup to protect our data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the NDMP.

They need to improve their support. In the beginning, their engineers had trouble understanding the issue we were presenting. It took a lot of conversations for them to start troubleshooting the problem.

The complexity of the deployment depends on the data we are protecting. It's a bit complicated if we're working with databases, but it's simple to back up a file system. We can do everything ourselves, but we open a case with Veritas if we have a problem. Two full-time IT employees are enough to deploy, maintain, and manage NetBackup.

We only pay a yearly license for support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetBackup five out of 10. To anyone implementing NetBackup, I suggest hiring a consultant because the product can be tricky to configure. If it's misconfigured, you won't get the results you want.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.