Roberto Forlani - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Test Manager at Allianz
Functional and comes with the Commander feature that maps all items in a tree structure, but its centralized repository mechanism needs to be more flexible
  • "The most valuable feature of Tricentis Tosca is the Tosca Commander. Functionality is another thing I find most valuable in the solution."
  • "What needs to be improved in Tricentis Tosca is its centralized repository mechanism because it's not as flexible. The repository in the solution where you store the data and the script for test automation is quite an old-fashioned mechanism that could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Tricentis Tosca for test automation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Tricentis Tosca is the Tosca Commander. Functionality is another thing I find most valuable in the solution.

What needs improvement?

What needs to be improved in Tricentis Tosca is its centralized repository mechanism because it's not as flexible. The repository in the solution where you store the data and the script for test automation is quite an old-fashioned mechanism that could be improved.

An additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of Tricentis Tosca is a distributed repository mechanism because it's required in the current installation for my company.

We have a contract with Tricentis Tosca, and we've been using the solution for six years now. We're using the latest version, which is version 14 because there was this bug called the Log4j.

Tricentis Tosca
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Tricentis Tosca. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Tricentis Tosca is a pretty stable solution.

In terms of scalability, that's a challenge in Tricentis Tosca. Scaling the solution is quite difficult because it uses only Windows environments, so it's not a good solution for scaling up. Right now, we rely on Windows, but we are moving to the cloud, so scaling Tricentis Tosca would be difficult for us.

The technical support for Tricentis Tosca isn't quick, but it's useful.

The initial setup for Tricentis Tosca was pretty straightforward.

Initially, for the deployment of Tricentis Tosca, we used a consultancy company, but now we do its deployment in-house.

In terms of the licensing costs for Tricentis Tosca, we are spending more or less $70,000 per year. We have a very complex mechanism because there are some business users and some BI users, so the licensing structure is not simple, but support is included.

What other advice do I have?

My company is using Tricentis Tosca and is an end-user of the solution.

With the Tricentis Tosca installation that my company has, one person is enough for maintenance.

My advice to others looking into implementing Tricentis Tosca is to limit it. I would use it only for specific test automation requirements, and I wouldn't use it for other purposes because it's a very expensive solution.

My rating for Tricentis Tosca is seven out of ten.

Conductor with 11-50 employees
Good online support, and has a reusable model
  • "The most valuable feature is being able to create a test case by recording some scenarios and then leasing that task case to other scenarios."
  • "The document object model or some aspects of it has a bit of a learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

Tricentis Tosca is used to test our in-house products. We have developers for Google and other web applications for our internal use, but that product is developed by outsourced developers, that needs to be tested.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to create a test case by recording some scenarios and then leasing that task case to other scenarios.

We only use the UI for testing purposes, so all other features are unusable to us.

What needs improvement?

The document object model or some aspects of it has a bit of a learning curve.

I have been working with Tricentis Tosca for one year.

We use the latest version.

I don't have any issues with the stability of Tricentis Tosca.

Because my organization or team only has one or two testers, we don't need to think about scalability. As a result, that product does not need to be scalable in my environment.

My experience with the Tricentis website support was good.

I have experience with Selenium HQ and Parasoft.

We conducted a SOAtest using Parasoft. Tricentis Tosca is different and better, because it has a reusable model, whereas the others do not.

The initial setup requires some learning time. In my experience, we have testers who have no development experience, so we need to educate them on the development side. I'm referring to the ID in the document object model or some aspects of it. After that, we'll be able to use it. In my experience, the learning curve was the most difficult obstacle.

It took approximately three months to complete the deployment.

This solution is maintained by two people, the same two who use it.

I was able to learn the installation process myself.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others, but in our country, I believe the importance of testing is currently ignored or underestimated. It is not popular in our country at this moment but I will recommend this tool.

We are partners with Tricentis.

I would rate Tricentis Tosca an eight out of ten.

Tricentis Tosca
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manoj Thakkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Test Consultant at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Has a wide range of applications with an easy setup and great stability
  • "The low code is the best feature."
  • "It requires some coding customization that requires expertise."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for a lot of their applications. For example, we use GIS map-based applications and develop solutions around them. We also use the technology to draw a polygon and use API for the mobile solution. We use a silver-based application that will soon be obsolete and some cloud-based applications.

What is most valuable?

The low code is the best feature, and clients like it.

What needs improvement?

We are still exploring the solution but would like a capability where the infrastructure has a code that we can verify using Tricentis Tosca. We are examining how to integrate this with the keyboard and our credentials through Tosca. We want to integrate with other solutions for credential repositories, so we don't need to provide a username and password in the solution explicitly. It would be good if it could grab a specific key and utilize it in the task for execution.

Currently, with Tricentis Tosca, we need to install it as an application on our machine, but it would be better if we could assess a solution. It requires some coding customization that requires expertise, so having free services along with the licenses would be good. Some clients have complained that they need to pay for additional services every time they open a ticket.

We have hands-on experience with Tricentis Tosca and have completed Tricentis Tosca training because we are an Alliance partner. We utilized it when we completed training on installing the software, ES1 and ES2. We have been trying to purchase this tool for almost two and a half years. Our clients are almost updated on it, and we are about to deploy this solution in our client locations. They will be using version 15.2.

It is a stable solution.

We have no issues with scalability. We have a solution architect and a few team members who will develop it.

The initial setup was not complex, and there were no hurdles.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. From a UI perspective, there are no issues, but pricing could be better. Our clients had been asking for this solution for over two years, and pricing was the main reason we didn't have it. I would recommend this solution to other companies if they have the budget.

Alex Melendez - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Enables connectivity with mobile and identifies some of the changes from the recordings on the actual testing suite
  • "It's been very helpful to have connectivity with mobile. The tool also identifies some of the actual changes from the recordings on the actual testing suite. That is something that I really like."
  • "I would like to see more implementation of AI on the self-healing aspect. That would be like the next step."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution on cloud. We have the updated version. Each time a new version is released, we already have it. I'm not sure what version we're on right now.

We have teams of around 5 to 10 people for different projects that are using this tool.

What is most valuable?

It's been very helpful to have connectivity with mobile. The tool also identifies some of the actual changes from the recordings on the actual testing suite. That is something that I really like.

What needs improvement?

The technology stack that they have now is bigger than when it started. That gives us more flexibility on aligning to one single tool to get automation from different technologies in one test scenario. Instead of dividing them and splitting them into different parts, we can go from end to end with this tool.

I have been using Tricentis for a couple of years.

Technical support is fine. We get a very quick response from them.

We have this as a service, so the initial setup is not that complex. It's already there, and we can plug in and start doing our automation. But last year, we started with a project from scratch, and we needed some support from Tricentis itself. It wasn't complex, but it required some time to get the tool to the point where we could start using it. It took about four weeks.

There is an annual cost for Tricentis.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

Something that people should probably be looking at is how technical their team is and whether or not they can do coding. If they are more on the business side where they know all the different flows of the business cases or scenarios, that would be a very good way to use the tool because technical expertise is not required. You should have a couple of resources, but it's not necessary to have  high technical skills.

Test Process Consultant - PeerSpot reviewer
Freelancer at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to Automate and maintain test scripts
  • "It is easy to maintain and easy to automate. No coding skills are required to automate. It is also easy in terms of transferring knowledge and skills. Many of my team members shifted over the past one and a half years, and there was no big issue with respect to knowledge sharing. It is a good tool that enables me to re-automate my scripts and update my scripts as quickly as possible. Looking at the amount of rework and maintenance activity that we had done for our scripts, it might have been a nightmare with some other scripting tool."
  • "They can make it more stable. I have used this tool for SAP applications. They have an alliance with SAP, and it mostly worked fine, but there were a few glitches. However, we got the required support from the Tricentis team. They are coming up with their new versions and upgrades with respect to how the Tricentis systems as cloud applications are updated, and it would be good if they have a robust accelerator pack."

What is our primary use case?

Automating SAP and NON SAP applications

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced Integration testing time effectively from 2 weeks to 1 day for CRM application.

What is most valuable?

With code free automation concept, it's easy to automate and maintain test scripts. Many of my team members shifted over the past two years, and upskilling and knowledge transition was never a problem.

In today's agile and cloud world when solution and functionality are not stable, automation scripts' maintenance was not a big issue. Looking at the amount of rework and maintenance activity that we had done for our scripts, it might have been a nightmare with some other scripting tool.

What needs improvement?

They can make it more stable. I have used this tool for SAP applications. Tricentis's alliance with SAP mostly worked fine, but there were very few glitches. However, we got the required support from the Tricentis team.

They are coming up with their new versions and upgrades with respect to how the Tricentis systems as cloud applications are updated, and it would be good if they have a robust accelerator pack.

I have used this solution for more than one and a half years.

I scaled it up a few months ago, and it was not a smooth process.

I have worked on QTP/UFT and  SAP TAO for SAP automation. Considering no-code automation, easy maintenance, and integration capabilities with 150 + applications, I selected TOSCA for an automation solution.

Its initial setup is not very complex and needs the required skills/knowledge. It also depends on the environment. It is good to have a TOSCA expert in your team to support integration activities.

We engaged the SI partner for Tosca set up and automation.

What other advice do I have?

We did not fully utilize its integration with the test management tool, but it was working fine.

My recommendation would be to go through Tricentis documentation and the best practices that they are proposing. Wherever required, set up a knowledge-sharing session with Tricentis.

Senior Test Consultant at a outsourcing company with 51-200 employees
Straightforward to set up, responsive support, and it has everything available in one place
  • "It can provide all levels of testing from design to execution to reporting."
  • "You need to spend much more time learning the tool and how to use it, compared to others."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for testing and trying to make solutions work.

What is most valuable?

This product contains a lot of functionality.

It can provide all levels of testing from design to execution to reporting. I like it because everything is available in one place.

What needs improvement?

When people start using this product, there is a learning curve. For people who were using another product, whether an open-source one like TestComplete or a commercial product, they are unable to use this solution immediately because it is much different. You need to spend much more time learning the tool and how to use it, compared to others.

When they developed the tool, they created their own rules and you need training for the people who will be using it.

We have been using Tricentis Tosca for about six months.

I would say it's a stable solution.

I have not used to to the point where I needed to scale it.

Our entire team is using it, which is more than five people.

I have been in contact with technical support and they have been very responsive. I can't complain.

I have also been using TestComplete. It is a simpler product to use and I was learning through using it. I didn't have to do any training. There were points where I needed to check the documentation concerning limitations

The initial setup was very straightforward. I did not find it to be complex and I don't remember having any problems. There was nothing spectacular about it.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the product works fine. With respect to errors in the product, there is nothing in particular that comes to mind. If there were issues then I was always able to work my way around them.

Katie Clifford - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior E2E Solution Engineer at Planet
Easy to use, beneficial modules, and effective design features
  • "Tricentis Tosca is a really cool tool that you don't have to be technical to use it. Additionally, the solution is easy to use. The modules, libraries, and reusable are in an efficient way to update all the tests. I find it spot on with that. We also started using the design which we switched from Excel. The design was superior to Excel."
  • "I have found that some of the functions could be missed in the solution for new users. They are not obviously present."

What is our primary use case?

We use Tricentis Tosca mostly for API endpoints. We are testing the integration with systems.

What is most valuable?

Tricentis Tosca is a really cool tool that you don't have to be technical to use it. Additionally, the solution is easy to use. The modules, libraries, and reusable are in an efficient way to update all the tests. I find it spot on with that. We also started using the design which we switched from Excel. The design was superior to Excel.

What needs improvement?

The user interface test can have a high propensity to fail. These fails are because when doing changes there are shifts in the screen, that Tosca cannot see right away, I'm not sure if there's a solution to that problem, but I've noticed it. For example, when something on the screen moves, such as you add a button, it moves somewhere else, and then Tosca can't see it, then it breaks. It's fine, you go in and fix it, but I don't know if there's a solution to this problem.

I have been using Tricentis Tosca for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

We have approximately 100 people using this solution in my company.

The technical support is great. I have not reached out to the support often but when I have they have been very responsive and helpful.

What other advice do I have?

The academy on user interface and the API introduction I found very useful. It has helped me understand some of the features available.

I rate Tricentis Tosca an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Aiham Obaidat - PeerSpot reviewer
DevOps lead at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Stable, good technical support, but customization could improve
  • "The technical support is good, we were satisfied."
  • "The user management could improve in Tricentis Tosca because it is confusing. It would be better to have it in one place. Having to add it to the cloud and to a specific project can be a mess."

What is our primary use case?

We use Tricentis Tosca for testing.

What needs improvement?

The user management could improve in Tricentis Tosca because it is confusing. It would be better to have it in one place. Having to add it to the cloud and to a specific project can be a mess.

In the future, they could improve overall mobile functionality.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable. However, we had a situation with an application we wanted to test some reset passwords. We have the two-factor authentication enabled on sending an SMS to a number and in this case, we did not find anything to solve it. There was not anything to automate me getting the number, and proceed with it automatically without going and testing it manually.

The technical support is good, we were satisfied.

I have previously used Selenium in the company I used to work for and it was perfect. The solution was very good at testing web applications, but not Windows, or desktop applications. Tricentis Tosca does not have customized reporting tools ready but Selenium you can build and customize whatever you want.

Tricentis Tosca is an expensive solution and there is an annual license required. The whole licensing process is confusing and it could be made easier.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is if companies have developers, or the potential to teach developers, or QA teams, I would suggest they use Selenium because the price of Tricentis Tosca is expensive.

I rate Tricentis Tosca an eight out of ten.

Download our free Tricentis Tosca Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022