We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Network Team Lead at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It is user friendly and reliable, but it needs granular control over the traffic
  • "It is very user friendly and easy to manage from the administrative point of view. It is good, reliable, and easy to implement."
  • "It is a very basic and entry-level firewall. It doesn't give very granular control over the traffic. It should have more granular control over the traffic. This feature should be there similar to Palo Alto and Cisco. It should have such advanced features."

What is most valuable?

It is very user friendly and easy to manage from the administrative point of view. It is good, reliable, and easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

It is a very basic and entry-level firewall. It doesn't give very granular control over the traffic. It should have more granular control over the traffic. This feature should be there similar to Palo Alto and Cisco. It should have such advanced features.

I have been using Sophos XG for the last two years. We are using the latest version.

Its stability and reliability are fine.

If you want to have multiple firewall rules, it has this type of scalability. When I compare it with some other products, such as Palo Alto, I can't find similar scalability in Sophos XG. In Palo Alto, we can have rules based on applications or app IDs, and we can create multiple rules for a single ID. We can create a single user or single IP, but such options are not there in Sophos XG. Granular level scalability should be there in Sophos, and they should do better.

I appreciate their support. Their support is good.

I also use Palo Alto. Palo Alto provides application IDs, which is a very powerful feature. Sophos XG is a very normal next-generation firewall with URL filtering, application filtering, and all such features. It is not something extraordinary. It is a very normal next-generation firewall.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is a single day task to do the initial configuration and move the traffic over there. The firewall hardening, of course, will take some time depending upon the traffic, but the initial setup is a single day task.

What other advice do I have?

It is a normal firewall. All the basic features are there. However, it is not as advanced as some of the other solutions, such as Palo Alto. As we have more security threats, we need more granular control, but these features are not available in Sophos XG.

I would rate Sophos XG a five out of ten.

Owner at InternetWorld Solutions Sdn Bhd
Reseller
Functionality is straightforward, but tech support could be improved
  • "In terms of the functionality, I think it's pretty straightforward. It's easy to pick up. It's also user-friendly."
  • "Support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The firewall is used to maintain security. Basically, it's used to make sure that our clients' corporate network is secure. We want to make sure that their email is scanned, protected, and so on.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the functionality, I think it's pretty straightforward. It's easy to pick up. It's also user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Support could be improved.

I have been selling Sophos XG for two years. It is deployed on-premise.

When it comes to scalability, of course we can upgrade. A lot of firewalls don't allow upgrades. An upgrade would mean changing the box. For our customers, a lot of the functions of the firewall don't reduce. We just need to make sure they enable the security, and then make sure it's giving the protection to the client.

For scalability when it comes to the server, I can add the RAM, the hard disc, and the CPU to boost up the performance.

The principal tech support is not very present in Malaysia. We are relying on the distributor. Most of the technical things we can handle on our own, like when it comes to setup. When it comes to the issues related to product hardware or software bugs, we will reach out to them. But the response is from the distributor.

The support could be a bit better.

Installation for each version, like Fortinet and Next Generation Firewall, is simple. Based on how familiar we are with the client, it can take a day or two.

We only need one or two people for deployment.

For every firewall, you will need to pay the license for the following year. If they don't pay for the license renewal, they basically won't get the support from Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

They do have their own integration, so I don't really have much to comment about Sophos because we basically just maintain the Sophos Firewall that we supply. We don't do a lot of fancy design work.

We are currently still evaluating the solution.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Firewall Engineer at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
MSP
Offers good security for SMBs
  • "As a security solution, it's a very good security solution."
  • "They should improve the hardware. If they can do that, it will be a very good product."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for one of our universities in Palestine. It's an Arabic university and there were about more than 10,000 students. So, our user base ranges from 1 to 10,000. I use it as the main firewall. I use it for High Availability (HA). That's the main use case why we use Sophos XG. We do intend to keep using it.

What is most valuable?

As a security solution, it's a very good security solution.

What needs improvement?

Some features are not available on the graphical interface. So you need to return to the command line to solve some issues that are faced by the customer. I used it for enterprise networks, I decided that it is not very good for enterprise networks. There is some issue with its hardware. I have faced two problems and that were resolved by Sophos earlier. They changed the appliance. In other products, I have not seen such problems in the hardware. So I think that the hardware is not heavy duty. You can say it's not heavy duty like other vendors. The performance is not as it says on the datasheet. They should improve the hardware. If they can do that, it would be a very good product.

I am using the appliance from XG 110. We use versions 105 TO 370. I use more than one product for small to medium size businesses. We also use Intercept X firewalls. We deploy Sophos XG on-premise.

It is scalable for some things. It can have an extendable host. The appliance can be customized for more than one connection point. You can put it in the same fibre and DSL connection.

They have proper support in the technical point of view, and their English language is not clear. You know that they are not native English speakers. That's one of the things that I faced. But they have very good knowledge.

The installation of Sophos is very easy and straightforward.

It's not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it for small to medium businesses, not for enterprise businesses. I'll rate it 8 out of 10.

Senior Manager, Information Technology at a university with 201-500 employees
Reliable and easy to install, but the policies should be upgraded
  • "It is simple to use."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see improvements to simplify the interface and more policy deployments."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a firewall for everyone to connect to the internet.

We protect ourself and we use it as a VPN to connect to the internal network.

How has it helped my organization?

It is improved significantly.

What is most valuable?

It is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be changed. It should be more user-friendly.

They should also update the policies and statistics because Fortinet is better, but Sophos could grow.

It was Cyberoam and we upgraded to Sophos XG. We have been using Cyberoam for more than 10 years and more than one year with Sophos XG.

We were on version 17 and have just upgraded to version 18.

It's stable. We have no problem at all with stability or with Sophos XG.

Its high availability is fine, it's good. It's scalable as well.

We have approximately 500  employees using this solution.

We will continue and increase our usage of this product.

We had one issue with Cyberoam, but it was upgraded with Sophos. They helped us, but it takes a bit of time to resolve it but it's fine.

We also use Fortinet FortiGate for large locations. The Fortinet usage is completely different than Sophos. Sophos is simple, but I prefer Fortinet.

It's easy to install.

It takes the team one hour to launch it.

We have a team of 15 people to deploy and maintain this solution.

We completed the installation ourselves.

We purchased the technical appliances for on-premises.

We have our license for three years.

Yes. Fortinet. However the price is much better to Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos XG to others, but it would depend on their capacity.

I would rate Sophos XG a seven out of ten.

Managing Director at FORESEC
Straightforward to set up, stable, and is well-suited to SMB
  • "Overall, this is a good product and I would recommend it for small to mid-sized customers."
  • "The number of ports, especially on the entry-level appliances, should be increased."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Sophos XG is one of the security products that we implement for our customers. We always provide them with the latest version.

What needs improvement?

The price of adding ports should be reduced to make it more competitive.

The vendor needs to create materials to show the differences between Sophos products and those from other vendors.

Network management needs to be included in the package.

As it is now, it only supports ten multiple users, which is something that should be increased.

I have been working with Sophos XG for approximately two years.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable product and we have approximately 150 users.

We get our support from the local distributor.

Prior to Sophos XG, we used products from Fortinet and Forcepoint.

The Forcepoint product is doing well. We have a different perimeter firewall for our data center that uses it because we use different vendors for different sites.

This is an on-premises appliance and the installation is straightforward. It can be deployed in less than an hour. However, according to the number of users and the number of ports that will be connected, the design may vary. This makes it difficult to estimate the time required to do a full implementation of the product.

We have four people in charge of maintenance, although they do not work exclusively with Sophos. We have another appliance from another vendor. The entire team, including their manager, is about 10 people.

The price is in the mid-range and it is very good for small to medium-sized businesses. One license opens everything.

Creative Head/Director at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
Scalable and stable
  • "The solution is scalable."
  • "The installation could be faster and is longer than that of other solutions, lasting more than a month instead of five minutes."

What needs improvement?

The solution is very slow in comparison with SonicWall and FortiGate. It should have faster performance.

The installation could be faster and is longer than that of other solutions, lasting more than a month instead of five minutes.

I've been using Sophos XG for five years.

When compared with other firewalls, such as that of SonicWall, we have had no issues with the solution's stability. It works very well.

The solution is scalable.

Sophos does not provide immediate support, such as SonicWall does with its toll free number. This may take an hour or two, although I suppose things would be different were we to raise a critical ticket.

I have been in contact with tech support within the last week or so.

SonicWall has a toll-free number which can be reached for immediate support, something which is unique, although Sophos may take an hour or two to respond. I suppose this would be different were a person to raise a critical ticket.

Sophos XG has a longer installation period than other firewalls, occupying in excess of a month instead of five minutes.

I am the technical person. Installation can be handled independently. We do the configuration of the firewall.

We have two teams that are responsible for the deployment, a firewall and a network one. We can handle the implementation using both teams.

I don't believe we have a license for this product.

SonicWall and FortiGate provide considerably faster performance than Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed both on-premises and on the cloud.

We have a data center which contains multiple firewalls. If our clients ask about a certain firewall expert, we simply implement the Sophos firewall, clientele. We have created certain IP sectors like this, in which case we provide multiple firewalls in clientele.

We have around 150 clients making use of the firewall.

We would recommend the solution to others.

I rate Sophos XG as a ten out of ten.

Cyber Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good filtering and application control features, but the bandwidth could be more effective
  • "Some of the most valuable features are filtering and application control. The DDoS detection also shows traffic jamming and traffic shaping."
  • "This solution could be improved with more effective bandwidth. I found that when I enable DDoS detection for our clients, bandwidth is reduced. If DDoS detection is disabled, the bandwidth will be high, but it isn't secure. We recommend that customers enable DDoS detection, but if they need high bandwidth, we recommend Palo Alto and FortiGate instead of Sophos."

What is our primary use case?

We provide Sophos XG to customers. We work at deploying this solution from scratch to the customer, from unboxing, racking, or stacking, and doing licensing and upgrades for the box. Then we establish the process and security profiles that the customer requires.

This solution is deployed on-prem.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features are filtering and application control. The DDoS detection also shows traffic jamming and traffic shaping.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be improved with more effective bandwidth. I found that when I enable DDoS detection for our clients, bandwidth is reduced. If DDoS detection is disabled, the bandwidth will be high, but it isn't secure. We recommend that customers enable DDoS detection, but if they need high bandwidth, we recommend Palo Alto and FortiGate instead of Sophos.

I have been using Sophos XG for about six months.

This solution is not as stable as other products. In terms of stability, our number one recommendation is Palo Alto, number two is FortiGate, and number three is Sophos.

Sophos is scalable, but not enough.

Sophos technical support is effective.

The installation takes two days. It is easy to deploy, and not as complicated as Palo Alto or FortiGate. We make it in our company labs and, for deployment and maintenance, we recommend one or two people.

We provide and implement this solution for customers.

The licensing for Sophos XG is based on the number of users, so I get the module from the sizing of the customer.

We also recommend that customers use FortiGate and Palo Alto, since these solutions are more stable and have more effective bandwidth.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XG a seven out of ten. I would recommend it to others, based on their needs, but the stability could be better.

We have five to seven customers who are using Sophos XG.

Purnachandra Rao Koneru
Manager IT at QPS Bioserve Pvt Ltd.
Easy to use, robust, and the default templates are helpful
  • "This solution is very user-friendly and even a non-professional can configure the policies."
  • "The cloud support needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I was using the Sophos XG firewall in my last job, where it was part of our security solution.

We had multiple locations with the internet being provided from a central location. Each of our locations was connected point-to-point using MPLS lines. Using Sophos meant that we didn't need to have a router.

What is most valuable?

The default templates are helpful because if you want to create new policies, they make it easy to do anything you want.

Sophos XG is a very robust technology.

This solution is very user-friendly and even a non-professional can configure the policies.

There are unlimited SSL VPN clients and it is free with Sophos.

What needs improvement?

The cloud support needs to be improved. As it is, they only have support for Microsoft Azure. They should expand it to include providers like Amazon and Alibaba.

I have not heard complaints of bugs or glitches occurring.

Sophos is a scalable technology that is being regularly updated.

I have been in contact with technical support many times and they are very good.

Currently, in my new company, I am using Fortinet. This is a very basic firewall and ultimately, I would like to update them.

The initial setup is not complicated. For somebody with an intermediate level of knowledge, it will take between three and four hours to deploy. For a more experienced person, it may take two or three.

I am currently in the process of evaluating the different firewalls that are available in India.  One of the options is Sophos, and I am also considering others such as SonicWall and Palo Alto.

With Fortinet and SonicWall, there is a limit of 10 people who can simultaneously connect using the VPN.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos XG is a firewall that I would recommend for people who are looking for good security in a medium-scale organization.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.