We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
RSI at a logistics company with 201-500 employees
Easy to deploy and simple to use but the pricing could be lower
  • "The solution seems to be very easy to use."
  • "It would be helpful if the solution offered some tutorial videos to help new users learn the system quickly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security and protection.

What is most valuable?

The solution seems to be very easy to use.

The administration is pretty simple.

The solution is easy to deploy.

We've found the solution to be quite stable.

My understanding is that the solution is scalable.

What needs improvement?

Cyberoam was extremely hard to develop. If this solution makes that process easier, we will be happy.

The solution should be lowered. It would help entice more clients. We'd like to pay a lower price.

We're concerned about the safety of our devices. We are worried if someone manages to hack the firewall, that they will be able to get past other protections and perhaps onto devices. We'd like Sophos to remain vigilant in its protective capabilities and to continuously update its solution to expand its security offering in order to better protect its customers.

There should be some trial on offer that allows users to try out the solution and learn it before implementing it.

I've only been working with the solution for about one month or so. It hasn't been that long just yet.

The solution has been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable in terms of the performance it offers.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it shouldn't have any issues doing so.

We have about 200 people using it in our company.

I have not used technical support just yet. If some issue comes through in the future, I will reach out. However, as of now, I can't speak to their level of responsiveness or their knowledgeability.

I used to use Cyberoam. However, this particular solution was acquired by Sophos, and therefore, now the company I work for uses Sophos. It's pretty much the same product.

The product is pretty easy to deploy. We use a gateway from our partner, and not with Sophos.

The solution is a bit costly. It would be ideal if it was less expensive for its user base.

We pay a yearly licensing fee. We do not pay monthly.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-users. I do not have a business relationship with Sophos.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. It might be version 65 or something like that.

We do not use the cloud version. It's for device management, and therefore it's on-premises.

Currently, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. I haven't used it for very long, and can't fully evaluate it; I must learn more about the offering and what it can do first.

Network & System Support Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A comprehensive solution which makes available heartbeat security
  • "Sophos is a comrehensive solution which allows me to configure all the attendant products, such as Sophos' firewall, Endpoint and Encryption features."
  • "The response time could stand improvement."

What is most valuable?

Sophos is a comprehensive solution which allows me to configure all the attendant products, such as Sophos' firewall, Endpoint and Encryption features.

A nice feature of Sophos is that it offers in sync and heartbeat security. When my clients have a perimeter involving Sophos firewall and endpoints with Sophos Endpoint, they can communicate with each other.

Heartbeat security is a great feature.

What needs improvement?

In light of all the firmware upgrades, maintenance, feature and general releases of firmware, I really appreciate the support offered by Sophos. It is really good.

However, the response time could stand improvement, as I do not benefit from immediate support. There is a delay involved. This can be problematic when I need urgent support, such as when my device is in a production environment.

The support is really good. With all the firmware upgrades, maintenance, feature and general firmware releases which occur nowadays, I really appreciate Sophos support. It is really good.

This said, it could be faster, as it is not immediate. This can be problematic when I require urgent support, such as when my device is in a production environment.

When it comes to the firewall, everything hinges on the configuration. Every firewall is good, but one can see the importance of the configuration in the firewalls of Sophos and SonicWall. This is the most important thing, since users occcasionally disable the app control, IPS or anti-spyware features. They do this out of a lack of familiarity with the security, something which allows attacks to occur. Therefore, the configuration is key. I configure every firewall I employ, be it Sophos, SonicWall or Fortinet.

I have not encountered any issues when it comes to the configuration.

I was a gold partner with Sophos XG. As such, I make suggestions about the appropriate model in line with my customer's requirements. Essentially, over the last two years of the COVID-19 crises, most users required an SSL VPN license, something for which SonicWall charges but which Sophos offers for free.

SSL VPN involves two factor authentication. This is free of charge. Both email and key OTP are options. While SonicWall also offers SSL VPN capabilities, it is problematic. When I needed a license, I purchased an additional perpetual SSL VPN license.

SonicWall makes available all the different models, such as TZ and NSA. I am familiar with all the models. Sophos only has an entry-level model, which is actually 87, 107 and 116.

Fortinet offers the Forti ATF model.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the solution to other clients, but make certain to first understand their individual needs. I would be doing them a disservice were it otherwise.

I really like Sophos.

In the past, when Sophos employed XG firewall, I was forced to deal with a slow GUI. This is because its back-end kernel is Linux. Now that XGS is provided, many changes can be seen in the hardware appliance. The hardware has been upgraded. The XGS firewall is faster than the XG series, so the problem has been resolved.

While I rate Fortinet as a nine out of ten, I give Sophos XG a rating of eight.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr Information technology consultant at onkar international pvt ltd
Scalable, simple the set up and easy to understand
  • "The product offers many great features."
  • "When upgrading the firewalls, the process could be easier."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mostly used for setting up a firewall and policies.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to understand.

It's simple to set up the firewall and policies. Setting rules is very easy on Sophos as compared to other solutions.

The product offers many great features.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup is easy.

We have found the solution to be very stable.

A company can easily scale the product if they need to.

What needs improvement?

When upgrading the firewalls, the process could be easier.

While we do have network control, we don't have network monitoring. If I have 200 nodes and I want to see what's happening, I don't have visibility, especially if people are working remotely.

If we could control roaming users through the firewalls and make it so that it's more of a  complete security solution, which we prefer, that would be ideal. If we have to install some clients on these machines, that's fine. The only concern is the DLP. We want to protect our data from being stolen. We'd also like to monitor activities from the perspective of productivity. We want to be able to track and calculate what users are doing on their machines.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

Earlier, Sophos was known as Cyberoam, Before that, I use Cyberoam and now this has turned into Sophos.

The stability is very good. It does not crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. the solution is reliable.

The level of scalability depends on the box. We do have the option to scale if we need to.

I have found the technical support to be very helpful and responsive. I am pleased with the level of support I can get. They always provide proper solutions to all issues, whatever we face.

It is not difficult to set up the solution. One ISP, internet service provider, is required, and that is sufficient. If you do have a landline, some switches are available, and we can add to that a firewall. That is secondary. However, the initial requirement is nothing. It is just a plug-and-play setup that is very straightforward.

We had a vendor assist us with the installation.

There's no additional cost for installation. The provider from which we purchased, the vendor, himself arranged all installation and configuration. They helped us. However, even through customer care, a company can ask for assistance.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not providing any services. I'm using the product as a customer only. The company, one day, would like to become a partner, however.

I would recommend the solution to other companies.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten, specifically if I compare it to other options on the market. It's pretty good.

CIO at a aerospace/defense firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, easy to install, and easy to monitor
  • "It is very easy to use. You can configure and monitor everything from one unique dashboard."
  • "Its price should be improved. It should be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the protection of our network. We also have a product from Sophos for ransomware protection using which we are able to protect our network from ransomware. All of our solutions are from Sophos, and we have everything integrated.

What is most valuable?

We can define which systems can be accessed from outside of our company. We can define the connection rules for inside and outside of the company. It is easy to implement or modify rules.

It is very easy to use. You can configure and monitor everything from one unique dashboard. It is also easy to install.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be improved. It should be cheaper.

In terms of features, I am happy, and I don't need more features. The firewall is perfect, but the antivirus could be better. It would be useful if the antivirus was less heavy and had better performance.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable. We receive the updates online. They provide the updates at a good frequency.

It is scalable to a limit. If the size of the network grows, you will have to buy new equipment. If you need just a few more connections, you will able to work with the existing system.

Currently, we have 16 users who are using it. We don't have any plans to increase its usage because our company is in liquidation. If the government decides, we can have more projects, but, as of now, we are in liquidation. We are keeping things working for now, and we plan to keep using this solution, but there are no investments.

We have support from the supplier of our firewall, and if needed, we also get support from the people who develop our software.

It is easy to install. Our company is at three locations. It takes two days to install it at all locations. It takes one day for one location and another day for the other two locations.

For the first installation, we took the help of the supplier. Since then, we do it ourselves. We don't have teams attached directly to the system. We have two or three IT guys who work with this system, but we can have support from the maintenance team.

Currently, we have a contract for three years. It would be good if its price is reduced before we renew the contract. We will buy the equipment if it is cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I'm happy with what I am getting. I haven't faced any problems. Everything is integrated, and it is easy to install and easy to control.

I would rate Sophos XG a nine out of ten. I am very satisfied with this solution.

Michael Hlavaty-LaPosa
Owner/President at TeamLogic IT of Oklahoma City
MSP
Easy to manage, performs well, and the pricing is good
  • "The cloud-based interface makes it easy to manage."
  • "The weakest point is the technical support because they are difficult to get into contact with."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed service provider and the primary firewall that we sell and maintain is Sophos XG. It is also used in the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is a next-generation firewall.

The fact that it is integrated between endpoints and the firewall, and then the firewall and a central Sophos operation center, is very good.

The cloud-based interface makes it easy to manage.

The integration with the Intercept X approach means that Sophos XG can do things that none of the others are doing.

What needs improvement?

The main area that needs improvement is the documentation.

Sophos needs to be a little better at communicating with partners about changes, issues, patches, and so forth.

We have been using the Sophos XG series for three years.

This solution has been very stable and it's a good product, otherwise, I wouldn't be using it.

The technical support team is knowledgeable and they are good, although it is very hard to get a hold of them. You sometimes have to wait in queue for over an hour to speak with somebody. To me, that is the most frustrating thing about Sophos.

We did not use another similar solution prior to Sophos XG. Since the MSP business started, it has been our primary firewall product because of the pricing and support.

The initial setup is complex, as is setting up any next-generation firewall today. You have to know what you're doing with firewalls in general, although beyond that, it isn't as bad as some of the firewalls that I have seen.

The deployment typically doesn't take longer than a few hours or a day, depending on the type of client and what it is that we have to do.

The Sophos pricing, in general, is better than SonicWall, Fortinet, WatchGuard, or anybody else. Because of the partner program, the pricing I get is extremely good compared to what I would get from any of the others.

I have evaluated several firewall products and I think that Sophos is better in terms of ease of use, performance, and pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly encourage others to evaluate Sophos and adopt it. I've discovered that compared to other products, it is easier to manage and I think that it operates better.

Overall, I think that they've got a pretty complete set of features and they seem to be on a really good path. My only complaints are about the documentation and the availability of technical support.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable with good web-filtering and the application control
  • "We've had good experiences with technical support."
  • "The solution could be improved if it offered more documentation or at least provided more information about the products themselves."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our clients are primarily using the solution for the network protection it offers them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of the solution are the web-filtering and the application control.

The solution is stable.

We've had good experiences with technical support.

The product is scalable.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if it offered more documentation or at least provided more information about the products themselves. If there was a virtual assistant of some kind that would help clients familiarize themselves with everything, that would be very helpful.

It would be helpful to get some insights into new features so that we are able to relay information to clients effectively.

I've been using the solution technically since 2019, however, I haven't really been able to focus on it too much. Right now, I am refreshing my knowledge on Sophos XG.

The solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable overall.

We have clients from various sized companies, and the solution works well with all of them.

There seems to be pretty good scalability potential, at least up to a point.

We've been in touch with technical support and found them to be very accommodating. We are very satisfied with eh level of support they provide to us.

While I may have other colleagues on different solutions, my main focus is Sophos at the moment.

When we're talking about the initial setup for the Sophos XG it can either be simple or complex. It will depend mostly on the infrastructure of the client.

Deployment times also vary, according to the complexity.

Typically, the client handles the maintenance process themselves.

We handle the implementation process for our clients.

We have a platinum partnership with Sophos at this time.

I'm more on the technical side. I don't really have any insights into licensing and pricing as it's not an aspect of the solution I directly deal with on a regular basis.

I'd advise those considering any solution to really take the time to study the product and understand different aspects of it. Every solution is different, and therefore it's important to be able to navigate them. Doing some extra research at the outset will ensure you don't purchase the wrong firewall, which can be a waste of time and money.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We're quite happy with the product so far.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution at this time.

We're integrators and resellers.

Information Security Manager at a recruiting/HR firm with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, scalable, and provides good security
  • "The solution is stable. I've had very few problems with it."
  • "I do prefer when updates come out a bit quicker."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a firewall. We use it as a security device.

What is most valuable?

The product is very easy to use. We enjoy the ability for it to fit into our high-level security framework.

It gives us some separation from being on Microsoft tasks. We've got multiple levels of security. We're government contractors. It's great that it's been a separate product that gives us the ability to do the security to a high level without having to resort to needing a big team.

The solution is stable. I've had very few problems with it.

We have found the solution to be scalable.

What needs improvement?

We're always looking for the best products and the best pricing. Pricing is always a concern for us.

When they do updates, they could handle them a little bit better. We've only had one problem, however, I do prefer when updates come out a bit quicker. We do the patching and updates and different things, however, in terms of the patch and timing and the criticality of it, it could always be better.

We've been using the solution for five or more years at this point. We've used it for a while.

The product is reliable and stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product has proven to be scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have 430 end-users on the product.

We're mostly happy with the technical support. It's better than Microsoft. Any issues we have may simply come down to the SLA.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, and, over the last six years, it's gotten simpler, especially when it comes to cloud products.  A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

The deployment was very quick. It does not take long.

My team is quite small internally. I have five to seven IT staff.  I have many service providers that I outsource a lot of the day-to-day management of the infrastructure to.

Sophos assisted us with training at the outset, which we really appreciated.

We pay annually for the licensing for the overall on-prem solution, however, we also have some Sophos access points at permanent IT sites and different things. I have different Sophos products I may pay a monthly fee for.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

While this deployment is on-premises, for the cloud, we use Sophos Central.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're pretty pleased with its protection capabilities.

CEO / Managing Director at Infinity Access Technologies Pvt Ltd
Stable product with easy setup well recommended, customer support and fiber options on smaller models could be improved
  • "The solution was able to be integrated well with exciting hardware and software and in multiple business sectors."
  • "They should include fiber ports on smaller product models and the tools should be improved for scalability."

What is our primary use case?

We were able to integrate the solution using existing infrastructure installed, such as different firewalls and security software. We have integrated the solution in multiple sectors, for example, the education and banking sectors.

How has it helped my organization?

UTM appliances have generally improved organization networks and given away to multiple link management, identity management, and easy firewall options. SOPHOS has a better GUI and dashboard which can be easily understood and managed in an organization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

With the proliferation of fiber connectivity becoming available at our homes, consumers should not have to go and buy another module for fiber to ethernet converters or another device to get the fiber options. I understand all UTM models should have direct SFP ports available so that FFTH is directly terminated to UTM for better management and uptime.

I have been using the solution for the past five years.

I have found it to be a stable product.

I can say it is more stable rather than scalable. I do not think they have the ability for scalability with the options currently included esp in SMB segment. However, if they did have better options then I believe the product would have better scalability.

Some of our clients have been enterprise and SMB customers. Overall the range of our clients has been between medium and enterprise clients.

The customer support is not that good. We found the support to be extremely slow in response.

I rate Sophos XG support a three out of ten.

We have used other products as well and we understand those products work well which has better and local support. In addition, it depends on the company's focus. SOPHOS has focused on small to enterprise customers but support needs improvement to be in the market. SOPHOS channel partnership program needs also improvement and commitment so that System Integrators and partners are able to pitch the products well in the market.

Setup is good and the integration is very easy. The technology creates several good products.

We do the deployment and implementation of the solutions.

They should include fiber SFP ports on smaller product models as well and the tools should be improved for scalability.

What other advice do I have?

I can definitely recommend the product because it is good. There is no doubt.

I rate Sophos XG a 6 out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Channel Partner and Consultant to various Customers.
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.