SandeepGoyal - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager at Genpact - Headstrong
MSP
It's flexible and works well with multiple use cases and environments
  • "Oracle E-Business Suite is flexible. Its rich functionality can work in any client environment or business."

What is our primary use case?

Most companies use Oracle E-Business Suite for finance and supply chain management, but we mainly use it for payroll in the current scenario. We also use it for the core HRSCM compensation benefits as part of Oracle Fusion.

The company has been working with Oracle E-Business Suite for a while, but now they are gradually moving into Oracle Fusion SCM, so they have acquired some product offerings for Oracle Fusion SCM. They want to run it on Oracle SCM, but their core system is still Oracle E-Business Suite. They have adopted a different type of solution for core HR and recruitment. We use another organizational tool for the recruitment part, so we have to build code systems to integrate Oracle E-Business Suite and Oracle Fusion.

That's another general use case for Oracle E-Business Suite, but it varies among organizations. If they want to run HR and finance separately, a lot of integration is necessary to get the employee details into Oracle Finance. We have to pass payroll information into the GL and finance side, so the company would prefer to keep everything in the ecosystem where payroll is happening. They generally use Oracle Finance Payroll. Core HR is part of the Oracle E-Business Suite model they have. Now, they're looking for that functionality on a different SaaS-based solution. It can be Oracle Fusion or SuccessFactors.

It is a hybrid office approach because no single solution will work because of all the regulations. Some departments of a financial institution have specific policies for their data centers. They generally need to use an on-premise solution, but some want to move to the cloud environment, but there are content restrictions.

They are already using the on-premise Oracle E-Business Suite solution, so we need to implement it and one other thing. That Oracle E-Business Suite has a lot of customization options that aren't possible in a SaaS-based solution. It varies from process to process and industry to industry.

What is most valuable?

Oracle E-Business Suite is flexible. Its rich functionality can work in any client environment or business.

What needs improvement?

The UI isn't up to speed with most digital marketing-style interfaces. It's not an end-user-responsive UI.

I have 16 years of professional experience, and I have been working with Oracle E-Business Suite for 12 years. For the past three or four years, I have been working with Oracle Fusion System, which is a pure SaaS solution.

November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle E-Business Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution if we move to OCI. From a perspective of infrastructure, disaster recovery, and scalability, I would suggest going to OCI rather than staying on-premise and managing the infrastructure within your organization.

Oracle support is good.

The installation is a little tricky If you are using the on-premise version. We need to set up the infrastructure and plan for company growth and scalability. If you're on-premises, you need to build a structure and then deploy the system, so that takes a little time.

We have to consider many parameters, including security. For example, we need to implement policies if we want to access the system outside the company network. We need to plan for the number of nodes, like the knowledge application and database nodes.

The other aspect is the number of instances required and the production capacity of each instance. We need to set up the test, development, and regression environments, then configure the backup and disaster recovery policies.

I'm not involved with licensing. I think it's annual, not monthly

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle E-Business Suite eight out of 10. My advice for using the solution varies depending on the customer, business, and industry. If I'm talking about an STM solution and the policies allow it, I would recommend Oracle Cloud rather than Oracle E-Business Suite. If possible, we recommend using Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, so everything is managed by Oracle.

Or Nal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to set up, simple to use, and offers good integration capabilities
    • "Everyone in the company is quite used to the Oracle functionality."
    • "I would like an end-to-end in terms of processes. There are different modules, however, there's not that end-to-end that we are looking for in terms of process automation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution mostly as the ERP system at the moment.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is the solution's most valuable aspect. The user levels are easy to take on.

Everyone in the company is quite used to the Oracle functionality.

It's easy when you want to integrate certain solutions that are being developed. When adding modules, the process is quite seamless.

The initial setup was pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

We are in Zimbabwe. At the moment we are having challenges with foreign payments. The pricing for us is quite high due to the exchange.

We wanted a fully-fledged solution that has got payroll, HR, finance et cetera, basically everything finance and administration we'd like to see sustainability management. This solution doesn't offer exactly what we need all in one package. We want to upgrade, therefore, we're currently seeing what else is on the market to see if there are competitors that have the kind of full packaging we require.

There's an issue with business process automation. I would like an end-to-end in terms of processes. There are different modules, however, there's not that end-to-end that we are looking for in terms of process automation. That is what is lacking right now. I have seen Microsoft, for example, really work well when it comes to process automation.

I've been using the product for about six years at this point. I started using the solution around 2014 if I recall correctly.

The version we are using is extremely stable. We've found it to be a reliable product. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We haven't had to engage with technical support on any issues as it just seems to run very well.

The solution offers good scalability depending on the setup. Since we have an on-prem product, we have a big data center. In terms of the database replication, I think maybe it was more expensive. We didn't have to deploy an active/active setup on the DB side.

We haven't really needed to reach out to technical support. That's a testament to how well this product runs.

That said, in the past, I recall dealing with them, and for the most part, they were great. There were a few issues they were a bit slower to respond to, however, overall, as I recall, they were good.

When you are running a business you want a faster turnaround time. However, there are also some issues where they will be operating within their SLA, be it 24 or 48 hours. Still, sometimes you just need those quick turnarounds, such as maybe one or two hours, to get things done.

We did not find the initial implementation to be complex. It was rather straightforward. As time went on there were some little customizations being made, however, it was just rather straightforward in general. We didn't struggle with the implementation at all.

The pricing for us, being based in Zimbabwe, is expensive. The exchange is not so good. While we have some constraints now, we don't foresee this being an ongoing problem.

Although we don't have an imperative to move solutions, we are looking at other options to see what is available on the market.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been largely happy with the product's performance.

November 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Adil Fouari - PeerSpot reviewer
    Oracle Applications Consultant at ASAM Conseil Inc
    Very easy to customize and everything is integrated into one solution from one provider
    • "The new Subledger Accounting feature is very strong."
    • "The implementation can take quite a bit of time."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for the management of purchasing, accounts payable, general ledger accounting, and other things. TheyHyperion software is good for management as well as processes such as accounts receivable. The product has many use cases. I'm an applications consultant and we are service providers and Oracle customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization by enabling us to move from manual to automatic processes. It means that our clients can focus on analysis instead of transactions and dealing with a lot of paperwork. Transactions can now be approved by mobile or when you're on the road. The approval workflow has improved significantly.

What is most valuable?

The new Subledger Accounting feature is very strong. It's the most powerful thing Oracle has done in this latest upgrade. We can easily customize which is something that wasn't easy with the SaaS product. With an Oracle database and application, everything is integrated into one solution from one provider. The entire process is now integrated. Because we use Excel and Outlook a lot, there's no need to log off and on, it's all integrated. It's transparent for the end user, which is good. Oracle implemented OTBI, which saves the need to print reports. Everything is available as you go and on the go, which is a good feature. It's great for analysis.

What needs improvement?

The implementation can take some time and it's one of the difficulties with Oracle as compared to SAP. Deployment takes way too much time.

I've used this solution for 20 years.

The solution is scalable. We have around 400 users in the company which includes finance people, supply chain staff, and management.

The technical support is responsive and have helped us apply patches or find solutions when we have bugs.

Positive

The initial setup is a bit complex. The EBS takes more than 12 months to implement from scratch. We're a team that carry out deployments as well as provide service and support for our customers. We have a team made up of architects, project managers, consultants, functional analyst developers, DBAs, close to 20 people in total.

We have to invest a lot but we get a good return.

They have licensing models based on the number of users as well as one-time packages. If you're on the cloud, it's pay-as-you-go. It's not cheap technology but they have good consultants who know all the features. They are one of the longest-standing players in the market so they can dictate the price.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is to not customize E-Business Suite. The upgrades are complicated and when you go from version to version, it's not a good thing. You have to spend a lot of money so if you're already doing that you might as well go for a product that satisfies your requirements. If an organization has the opportunity to go to the cloud, then it's worth doing. It's pay-as-you-go, you're free from DBAs and a lot of complicated processes, and everything is taken care of in the cloud,

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
    Senior Audit Officer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Flexible, stable, and not difficult to set up
    • "The most valuable feature is its flexibility."
    • "The reporting needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for many things from procurement to payment. We have a lot of models and it is used extensively in finance as well as HR.

I have been a user and I have also worked as a system auditor.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its flexibility. You can create a lot of modeling solutions for a single activity. Many different approaches can be used to solve the same problem, so it is not rigid. Any time we have a group discussing solutions, I am happy because if a person has a different view then it doesn't matter because it can be geared towards a common aim or goal.

There are a number of forms and tables that come with it and once you become knowledgeable, it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be improved. I think that there are times when you have to build too many custom reports in order to achieve what you want. This comes out of the fact that it is so flexible because if you don't go by the standard, in terms of the implementation you choose, then it means that you have to come up with a lot of reports. I have seen some of the reporting that they are now doing through Hyperion, which is very nice, but I don't know if it will solve the problem.

I have found that when somebody is not experienced with Oracle, it is difficult to use.

I have been working with the Oracle E-Business Suite for close to 10 years.

In terms of stability, it is a very good system. I would rate the stability an eight out of ten.

We have sent requests to Oracle for technical support when we've had issues. They haven't been able to solve all of our problems, but most of the time, they were able to help us.

Over time, I have used several versions of this same product.

While I was not part of the initial setup, I did have the opportunity to work on another one. For me, I did not find that it was difficult. I think it's a question of one's knowledge of the system.

We had implementors come on-site to assist us with the initial setup.

I provide technical support to the HR department.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is not to go with Oracle if you don't have much knowledge about it. In other words, don't buy the system based on the presentation by the marketing team. It is a very good system and I attest to it, but you need to have some personal experience with it.

Have extensive discussions about your use cases, requirements, and what everything is going to look like. Also, you should have a team that understands the system before you buy it. Don't buy Oracle with the idea that you'll want assistance. Although it's a good system, you need to be cognizant of it before implementing it.

Solution Delivery Manager Sr at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    Good alerts and workflows with very helpful technical support
    • "The technical ability to run runtime APIs is great."
    • "Sometimes I have issues with the performance tuning."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for the financial aspect.

What is most valuable?

The workflow on offer is great.

I appreciate the alerts.

The technical ability to run runtime APIs is great. The web services and APIs are very powerful.

We found the initial setup process to be very straightforward.

You can scale this product easily.

Technical support has always been very reliable.

The pricing is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes I have issues with the performance tuning. There is not much help there. There have been many times where I have had performance problems if there are high volume loads.

There is some lack of functionality, specific tools, and certain ways of doing business. The business process and Oracle capabilities occasionally fall short so we have to customize many, many, many things. The depth of functionality is not that great for some niche business processes, like distribution or warehouse management. Due to this, we have to go for an outside business product, a specialized product.

One major thing we found was there are no user interfaces for corrections. If we have a lot of integrations, then error handling and correction management are very manual and we had to build a lot of user interfaces to do that. They should allow a proper framework for integration building on the E-Business Suite. In the cloud, it may be better, however, a lot of it is left to clients to do customer development. Out-of-the-box integration supports are very limited, particularly transactions and error handling and re-submission, reporting, et cetera.

I've been dealing with the solution for 20 years. It's been a while.

E-Business Suite is easy to scale. We run a global organization with $35 billion on financials on it. It's pretty solid.

Average daily users are around 600, however, registered users are almost 3,000. Not everybody uses it every day, so about 600 people are logged in every day. They would be different people. Registered authorized users include suppliers as well.

Oracle is the only company I can count on for support. They always do a great job.

The setup was very straightforward. Now, it's well documented and we can import setups. It's nothing to worry about.

I can't speak to the exact pricing, however, I've always found it to be reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership. We do develop products together with Oracle.

The version we are using is about two or three years old. It's not the latest.

If you do work in advance and re-engineer the process really, even E-Business Suite implementation is faster with a process engineer. Don't allow too much creativity and too many custom requirements as most of the time the requirements are standard. People in the job want to do more things than they should. Re-look at the processes before mapping. That exercise should be done in parallel to implementation.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Ahmed Ramadan - PeerSpot reviewer
    GM at a construction company with 51-200 employees
    Ability to fully customize tables, third-party integrations, and flex fields
    • "The on-premises solution has maturity in features but also flex fields."
    • "Improvements could be made in mobility for mobile applications or tablets."

What is our primary use case?

I implement the solution for customers in Saudi Arabia who prefer on-premises solutions.

E-Business Suite is an on-premises solution but you have the option to deploy its infrastructure as a service. For example, we have already implemented Amazon, Google, and Oracle on the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. With the infrastructure, you don't need to have your own data center but you need to have ownership of your database and more. You have options with the solution. You can install it on-premises, host it elsewhere, or place it in a cloud solution like Oracle Cloud Infrastructure as a service.

What is most valuable?

The on-premises solution has maturity in features but also flex fields. If you have ownership of a database, you can fully customize and personalize the solution.

This differs from a public cloud where you are limited in customization such as adding tables or integrating with a third party.

What needs improvement?

Improvements could be made in mobility for mobile applications or tablets. The solution still has some web-built pages and Java forms, and Oracle is currently shifting Java forms to be web-based. Once that is complete, Oracle will be accessible from mobile applications and tablets. This is a main difference and strong benefit in comparison to cloud-based solutions like Oracle Fusion.

I'd like the addition of modern merges and an integration with social media like LinkedIn.

Minor enhancements in function are sometimes requested and should be implemented.

I have been using the solution for nine years on and off.

The solution is very stable. It was created in 1980 and there's a pool of consultants very experienced in working with it so they don't even need to contact support for issues. There are 40 years of knowledge behind it and all issues are known.

The solution is scalable.

Customer support is based on the awareness of the person who contacts Oracle. Service requests sometimes loop because Oracle supports the solution at the product level, not the functional level. The product level is any item related to the product itself. The functional level includes change requests or maintenance for the product.

Neutral

The initial setup is straightforward and simple. For maintenance, two consultants might be needed to address any issues.

I am a member of the Oracle Implementation Team and implement the solution for customers.

One of the major issues is that the solution has a high price.

We evaluate options to determine the best solution for customers based on scope of work. We determine the type of business, requirements, architecture, and streamlining needs. For small to medium companies, we generally recommend Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Juan Anteo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business consultant at Condor Innovation
    Provides business continuity for big enterprise clients
    • "The solution is perfect for big industry and high-scale e-business transactions."
    • "It would be great to see Oracle E-Business Suite become less dependent on the SAO solution, which is an integration solution for Oracle platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We do not use Oracle E-Business Suite. We provide support and customization for the platform.

Our clients, on the other hand, use Oracle E-Business Suite for administration, finances, and inventory.

How has it helped my organization?

In our clients, eBS has enhanced the capacity to attend large volumes of transactions, which allows them to quickly attend to requests from their own clients and a prompt response from their suppliers.

What is most valuable?

The financial aspect of Oracle E-Business Suite is the most valuable for our customers. The solution is perfect for big industry and high-scale e-business transactions.

What needs improvement?

Oracle E-Business Suite is not great for small and medium-sized enterprises. Those clients are better suited for Oracle's NetSuite.

It would be great to see Oracle E-Business Suite become less dependent on the SOA solution, which is an integration solution for Oracle platforms.

I have been a partner for Oracle E-Business Suite for 28 years. We have been implementing and supporting e-businesses since the beginning.

Oracle E-Business Suite is very stable. In fact, that is why most clients land on this solution.

Oracle is continuously patching, upgrading, and reporting any changes or security issues, which contributes greatly to the stability of the solution.

The scalability is good. However, how well it scales will depend on who is implementing the scaling. It has to be carried out by a highly-skilled team. Technical support comes in handy here.

Oracle provides good support for the E-Business Suite.

Positive

Oracle E-Business Suite does have a complicated deployment model. It is a SaaS solution, so deployment entails multiple databases and server configuration. The connection between the database and the application has to be configured as well.

You do have to have expertise to carry out the implementation, however, I would rate the overall difficulty of the employment at a medium.

The average deployment would require five skilled consultants. Some very basic deployments could be done with one or two deployment developer consultants.

We got a return on our investment in a year with Oracle E-Business Suite.

Oracle E-Business Suite is expensive. I don't know how much a license costs exactly, but I would wager it's around $1 million. This is a big implementation.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest selling points for Oracle E-Business Suite are business continuity, financial support, and accounting support.

On a scale of one to ten, with one being the worst and 10 being the best, I would give Oracle E-Business Suite a nine. The only reason I would not give the solution a 10 is because you need a partner for everything you would like to do with the solution, things like implementation, maintenance, and upgrades.

Thanh_Nguyen - PeerSpot reviewer
    Implementation Consultant at IERP JSC
    Reseller
    An integrated set of business applications to streamline processes, but the user interface could be better
    • "I like Oracle ERP for streamlining the entire process from PRTL and invoice payments. It also has the decision and internet sale order, and my customers can correct the internet decision. It automatically converts to the internet order, and they don't need to create the entry object. They don't need to make a secondary ledger in the parent company and subsidiary. That's very helpful for internet decisions. If they get an order at the parent company, it automatically creates the sales system in the subsidiary."
    • "The user interface could be better. It's not good because they made their interface all in one, and my customers don't want to use it. I have to customize the interface and personalize it to hide some fields on the screen. It has lots of information on the screen, and the user can't easily navigate it. It's very difficult to use. I think that Oracle should have something like best practices. They need to provide some patches to simplify the interface based on the industry niche. Because now we see everything on the same screen, but the users don't need all that information. It's complicated to use for end-users, and we have to spend more time training them. In the next release, I think they should implement most of the features in the mobile app. It should be better. Oracle didn't update their mobile application for a very long time. Connecting the mobile application is complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I'm working with a vendor to implement Oracle EDS for my customers.

What is most valuable?

I like Oracle ERP for streamlining the entire process from PRTL and invoice payments. It also has the decision and internet sale order, and my customers can correct the internet decision. It automatically converts to the internet order, and they don't need to create the entry object. They don't need to make a secondary ledger in the parent company and subsidiary. That's very helpful for internet decisions. If they get an order at the parent company, it automatically creates the sales system in the subsidiary.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be better. It's not good because they made their interface all in one, and my customers don't want to use it. I have to customize the interface and personalize it to hide some fields on the screen. It has lots of information on the screen, and the user can't easily navigate it. It's very difficult to use.

I think that Oracle should have something like best practices. They need to provide some patches to simplify the interface based on the industry niche. Because now we see everything on the same screen, but the users don't need all that information. It's complicated to use for end-users, and we have to spend more time training them.

In the next release, I think they should implement most of the features in the mobile app. It should be better. Oracle didn't update their mobile application for a very long time. Connecting the mobile application is complicated.

I have been working with Oracle E-Business Suite for 19 years.

Oracle support is good.

The initial setup is complicated. For the end-user, it'll take about two or three weeks to use one of the modules.

Oracle prices are better in Vietnam and more flexible. If we need to customize something in Oracle, it's very flexible and easy to customize.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that they need to understand the requirements and the time required to implement them. They can implement it separately in phases. Phase one is very simple. It's simple for finance, procurement, and inventory. After that, we can extend it step by step. They shouldn't implement several models at once as it's complicated.

Oracle consultants should take more time to learn the product, and they have to understand the Vietnamese. They also take time to learn the product becasue it's very complicated.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle E-Business Suite a seven.

Download our free Oracle E-Business Suite Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022