We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Information Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Provides the security that we were looking at and a number of options for multifactor authentication
  • "The MFA part is the best. MFA provided most of the security that we were looking at with respect to the second level of authentication. Okta Workforce Identity provides a number of options with respect to multifactor authentication, such as the app, phone call, and text. These options provide different ways of logging in for users, and they were a lot more than what we needed. This is certainly a very good feature of Okta Workforce Identity."
  • "They also have single sign-on (SSO). When we bought Okta Workforce Identity a year and a half ago, I was also looking at SSO, but not much documentation was available for SSO. The documentation for SSO should be a little more robust for somebody who is implementing it for the first time."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it for MFA for logging into our Windows RDS environment and a web-based application called Tableau. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The MFA part is the best. MFA provided most of the security that we were looking at with respect to the second level of authentication. Okta Workforce Identity provides a number of options with respect to multifactor authentication, such as the app, phone call, and text. These options provide different ways of logging in for users, and they were a lot more than what we needed. This is certainly a very good feature of Okta Workforce Identity.

What needs improvement?

They also have single sign-on (SSO). When we bought Okta Workforce Identity a year and a half ago, I was also looking at SSO, but not much documentation was available for SSO. The documentation for SSO should be a little more robust for somebody who is implementing it for the first time.

I have been using Okta Workforce Identity for almost one and a half years.

It is stable. I never faced any issues with its stability.

I have not scaled it much. The company for which we implemented this solution is into data mining or data analytics. They had multiple users. Most of the users were data scientists. I was the only one looking at it in terms of management.

There were a couple of occasions where I needed some support while setting it up for our RDS environment. Their technical support was educated enough with respect to the product. They were able to help us out and resolve the issue pretty quickly. I would say they are good on the support part.

Setting up the MFA for Windows RDS was very straightforward. Using it with Tableau was not very straightforward. It was a bit complex, but the documentation was handy enough to set it up.

I believe it competes well. The pricing is pretty competitive. I know that Microsoft also provides something similar with its MFA and identity services.

What other advice do I have?

It has been sufficient for our needs. I haven't seen any issues, so I would say it is a good product. If there was anything, the users would have complained, but I haven't received any complaints with respect to Okta Workforce Identity from the users.

I would rate Okta Workforce Identity a nine out of ten.

Senior Director of Application Services and Process Management at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, good multifactor authentication and single sign-on functionality, and helpful support
  • "It's reliable and it does what it is advertised to do."
  • "The guest user access could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for MFA and single sign-on.

It's our enterprise-wide identity management system. It identifies all of our users prior to accessing any of our applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It assures us that everybody is authenticated prior to accessing any corporate applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are multifactor authentication and single sign-on.

It's reliable and it does what it is advertised to do.

What needs improvement?

The guest user access could be improved. How do we authenticate people that aren't in our Active Directory?

In the next release, I would like to see passwordless access.

I have been using this solution for four years.

We are working with the current version.

This product is very stable and is one of our best applications. It's the most reliable application and it never goes down.

It's a scalable solution and we are able to add users as needed.

We have about 4,000 users and it's all employees and contractors within the company.

Every employee uses this solution every day, multiple times a day, and we plan to increase usage.

They meet our needs.

We haven't had a problem with technical support answering any of our questions.

We went from using nothing to Okta Workforce Identity.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It was a week-long process to deploy.

We need one and a half persons to do the configuration, maintain this solution for administrators and the development.

We completed the implementation in-house.

We have seen a return on investment by using Okta Workforce Identity.

I can't discuss pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Follow along with what Okta recommends.

I would rate Okta Workforce Identity a ten out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Okta Workforce Identity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ABHILASH TH
Managing Director at FOX DATA
Reseller
A simple and perfect solution that has good integration with various platforms and 99.9% uptime
  • "Its simplicity and its integration with various vendor-agnostic platforms are the most valuable features."
  • "It can have more API integrations."

What is our primary use case?

We are an authorised reseller partner

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity and integration with various vendor-agnostic platforms are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

API Securities Solution

I have been engaged with Okta for more than 2 years, have seen the latest version.

It is highly stable. They claim 99.9% uptime. We never came accross downtime and performance issues

Okta is not only a single sign-on platform but also Life cycle management, the core of the Identity Management platform. Okta access gateway can publish on-premise legacy applications to the cloud.

They are very good. The Okta system engineers involved in presales engagement have sound knowledge on Okta platforms and IAM in general. What I have noticed personally is that Okta provides them with extensive training before assigning them to the Job. It helps them in understanding the technology well before starting with the job.

Its initial setup is straight forward. Okta tenant creation can be done quickly. Adding users and applications to the okta platform has customer dependabilities. Integration and going live with O365 also takes a little bit more time than other apps because of internal rollout and user training. It is not an Okta problem but needs customer Microsoft teams active involvement

Okta Service Partner

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend a phase-wise approach and not doing everything in one step. You can start with the basics of single sign-on and MFA and then proceed to life cycle management. I would also recommend starting with the lest critical applications and then add critical ones to the SSO platform. It is a journey, and we need to start small and slowly migrate it. Adaptive MFA provides proactive defence against login and credential abuse.

I would rate Okta Workforce Identity a ten out of ten.

Other
Hichem TALEB-BENDIAB
CDO & Co-Founder at ELYTIK
Very compliant solution, and it is easy to deploy
  • "It is dependent on the evolution of your user base. It depends on usage per user, so the more sign-ins there are, the more expensive it becomes, so it works best for smaller companies from a financial perspective."
  • "Therefore, if you have 10 million users, that's almost 100 million, so it is costly."

What is our primary use case?

I am not using the custom identity aspect; I use it only for customers and staff. We wish to sell the customer EIM because, at the moment, they have a SaaS solution. You can use Microsoft Azure to host Workforce Identity.

How has it helped my organization?

Okta is a very compliant solution, and it is easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

It is not very interesting from a marketing perspective. For this, you can use open source solutions to reflect different groups.

Customer EIM is a new concept, and historically we use the customer EIM for the questionnaires or with focus. We have been using it for about 7 years.

It is a stable product.

It is a perfect solution in terms of scalability.

Technical support is excellent.

All the providers of EIM have the same licensing model. If you have 10 million users or customers of Okta, it is just one payment. However, it is costly in this case. The licensing model is unique to each user. Each user costs 10 euros. Therefore, if you have 10 million users, that's almost 100 million, so it is costly. The model is effective, however. Each user's identity is unique. It is cheaper for small companies and organizations, as they have fewer users. It is dependent on the evolution of your user base. It depends on usage per user, so the more sign-ins there are, the more expensive it becomes, so it works best for smaller companies from a financial perspective.

We considered Arribatec, which is a new startup solution in the market.

What other advice do I have?

If you require identity solutions as a service, I would recommend it, but it is dependent on the use case. I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Information Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to set up, good documentation, and supports YubiKey
  • "The support for YubiKey is really good because you don't actually have to type in your username and password."
  • "There are some issues with the interface that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to control access to applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are identity management and OpenID.

At this time, Okta is doing really well and covering every aspect. Everybody in the company knows Okta and how to work with it.

The support for YubiKey is really good because you don't actually have to type in your username and password. Everything is taken care of, automatically.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with the interface that can be improved.

I have been working with Okta Workforce Identity for more than three years.

The stability is good.

This is a scalable solution and we have more than 10,000 users.

They provide a lot of support but there are still places where we get stuck.

Prior to Okta, we were working with Active Directory.

We are using Azure for authentication and I really like Okta compared to that. Okta is more extensive than the product from Microsoft Azure.

The initial setup is really easy.

We have three people for maintenance.

The price of this product could be lower. It's just like Box, where when it first came on the market the price was lower. Once people started using it, the price increased.

I am looking forward to seeing what Azure Active Directory has to offer. Microsoft is giving Okta competition in terms of pricing and other features.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product but it is not perfect. There are some areas that need improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Arun Kumar V
Manager- IT Operations at Yodlee
Single portal to access and manage applications

What is our primary use case?

Intergated on-prem and cloud applications on multi-tier domains and user identity accessing applications hosted on cross domains. Full fleged automation using AD and Okta groups for app assignment.

Lifecycle Management of apps on our Okta tenant.

How has it helped my organization?

• Central administration of Apps
  • Auto activation of user accounts/ Just-In Time Provisioning
  • Global App availability
  • Less or No Administration required

What is most valuable?

1. Active Directory Sync, as its useful for pre-assigning apps, can also be used for de-provisioning apps for exiting users

2. Shared apps with common password can now be managed centrally without revealing the credentials

3. User and Apps Management

4. Desktop Single Sign On

5. Auto-provisioning

6. Flexibility to integrate In-house applications

7. Password Self Service

8. Support non-domain users

9. Group based app assignment (okta, AD, pushgroup)

10. Adaptive MFA

11. Workflow for app requests

What needs improvement?

Command line access

Reporting

Since 2015

It's very stable we have 99.999% uptime on the base

Very high and secure, we have more than 170+ apps secured for sso

9 out of 10

9 out of 10

Yes, we had previously used a different solution which was replaced by Okta. Non-scalability was the major drawback of our previous solution.

Initial setup is straightforward, simple and easy to manage

Some apps needed assistance from Okta support team.

Setup is simple if you are an AD admin, cost comparison is nominal compared secured access

What other advice do I have?

KB article from Okta is very detailed just spend some time on the okta

Hybrid Cloud

Sector Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Allows for smooth administration
  • "We find the solution to be reliable for our customers and it is nice that it is cloud-based and can be accessed from anywhere."
  • "The solution should have greater on-premises availability, not just cloud and more package customization in its processing."

What is most valuable?

We find the solution to be reliable for our customers and it is nice that it is cloud-based and can be accessed from anywhere. It allows for smooth administration. The dashboard is so simple and the solution can be integrated with other vendors, even Cisco. This is why we have chosen to be resellers of the product.

What needs improvement?

I do not see much room for improvement. I have not encountered any issues with the solution, though it may be worth checking this with the technical team involved in its implementation.

This said, it is scalable for midsize companies and infrastructure but, owing to the regulations we have in place in Egypt, not every enterprise-sized company. This means the solution did not comply with everything in the financial sector, such as with our central bank. As such, one who is working in the financial sector must resort to another solution or, at the least, another one in addition to Okta Workforce Identity.

I have been using Okta Workforce Identity for six or seven months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable for midsize companies and infrastructure.

While I can't speak on behalf of my colleagues, I have not made use of technical support.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

While I don't have specific advice for those looking to implement the solution, I feel a visit is warranted for one who needs a cloud solution for SSO and identity management.

I rate the solution as a seven to eight out of ten.

IT Security Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Provides a very useful single sign-on feature for all our applications

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to have a single sign-on and to have identity access management. I'm the team management manager and we are customers of Okta.

What is most valuable?

Having a single sign-on to all our applications.

What needs improvement?

With the device applications, when you are checking the logs, you can't hide the device and that's a feature that's missing. I'd like to see MDM source added.

I have used this solution for a year.

The solution is good on scalability and stability.

The company has very good tehnical support and they respond quickly.

The…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Having a single sign-on to all our applications.

What needs improvement?

I have used this solution for a year.

The solution is good on scalability and stability.

The company has very good tehnical support and they respond quickly.

The initial setup wasn't so easy but it wasn't too complex either. We had assistance from Okta for the installation. Implementation didn't take long, maybe two or three days but we had some issues with some applications, and we had to postpone our deployment for about two months because of that. There's no maintenance required. We have about 300 users dealing with the solution in the company and it's used daily. We have no plans to increase usage for now.

I think the approximate cost for the license is somewhere between $20,000-$21,000 a year and that includes everything.

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a good solution, I would recommend it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
Download our free Okta Workforce Identity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.