Responsabile ced with 1-10 employees
Secure, priced well, and the interface makes it simple to manage
  • "FortiGate is very simple to manage and easy to use."
  • "FortiGate should have a better way of detecting and managing the system memory because otherwise if the memory is too low, a system restart is required."

What is our primary use case?

We use FortiGate to protect our company network. We have a wireless plan (WLAN) environment.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good.

FortiGate is very simple to manage and easy to use.

This is a secure solution.

What needs improvement?

FortiGate should have a better way of detecting and managing the system memory because otherwise if the memory is too low, a system restart is required.

I have been using FortiGate and other products in the Fortinet suite for approximately two years.

Fortinet FortiGate
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is used on a daily basis and in general, stability is okay.

There were two instances where the memory was full and the WLAN was blocked. The system had to be restarted. This may not have been a problem directly related to FortiGate. It may be that I didn't have enough to support the product. Perhaps a larger model would solve this issue.

We have approximately 80 employees that are protected by FortiGate. We have approximately 20 that work in the office, with a total of about 50 PCs.

It has not been necessary to scale beyond that.

I have never been in touch with technical support.

Prior to FortiGate, we were using Cisco for our firewall and our switches were from HP. Every five or six years, we upgrade our devices. The last time, we decided to buy Fortinet products because of a suggestion from our vendor.

Our vendor suggested Fortinet because the security is good, it's simple to use, and the price is good.

I have an external technician that manages FortiGate for the company. This person was responsible for the initial setup.

I do simpler network changes myself, such as altering ports on the firewall or the switch.

I am very satisfied with this investment. It's a good device and works very well to protect us.

This is not a cheap solution but it isn't expensive, either. It's a good solution for the right price.

What other advice do I have?

FortiGate is regularly updated and my last update was within the past couple of months.

In our company, we have not needed to use any special features, so it is difficult to consider what new features I might want to see in the future.

Overall, this is a very good solution and I personally haven't had any problems with it. I would recommend that my colleagues buy Fortinet devices because they are good.

IT Manager at SICOM LTD
Good pricing, scalable, and helpful for controlling the traffic
  • "We were looking for the VPN feature and controlling the inflow and outflow of all the traffic within the site and across the sites. We are also using it for the VPN and VLANs."
  • "It can be a little bit more user-friendly in terms of policy definition and implementation. It seems a little bit complicated, and it could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

It controls the inflow and outflow of all the communication between different sites and so on.

We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

We were looking for the VPN feature and controlling the inflow and outflow of all the traffic within the site and across the sites. We are also using it for the VPN and VLANs.

What needs improvement?

It can be a little bit more user-friendly in terms of policy definition and implementation. It seems a little bit complicated, and it could be simplified.

When there is a change in the IP address from the ISP, there is some disruption in the service. So, we try to do it when we have the least number of people working, which means very late at night. So, for the time being, it is working fine.

We have been using this solution for nearly a year.

Apart from the disruption in the service because of the IP address change, it has been quite stable.

We are implementing it phase by phase. Initially, we had one VLAN, and then we added more. So, it is quite scalable, and we haven't had issues with it so far. It has been recommended by the vendor that the model that we have would meet our requirements for the time being. In two or three years, depending on how we expand and how many more resources are required, we might have to look at another version of the device.

It was the vendor who did the initial setup. It was done within the time range that was allocated for the setup. My guess is that it was straightforward.

We are still in the process of implementing the solution. The commissioning has not yet been done. What we had previously is now changed to a new solution and a new way of doing things, and this is still in the implementation phase. Our implementation is being done phase-wise. We do things and tune it until we are happy with it, and then we go to the next phase. So far, it's working fine.

We have a relationship with the vendor. We discussed what we wanted to do and finally, we selected the product, and after that, it was installed and configured on our premises.

We have a small team of three or four people for deployment and maintenance.

Its pricing is fine. It is on a yearly basis. Other than the licensing fee, there is no extra fee.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Fortinet FortiGate
December 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ferrianto Suryanto - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Of Technology at PT Exa Teknologi Indonesia
I like the SD-WAN feature and their IP4 policy
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are the SD-WAN and their IP4 policy."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, the SD-WAN is quite difficult, because if you install the new box, 15 is okay, but if you change from an old configuration, if there is already configuration and a policy when you change to SD-WAN, you must change the whole policy that you see in the interface."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the SD-WAN is quite difficult, because if you install in the new box, 15 is okay, but if you change from an old configuration, if there is already a configuration and a policy when you change to SD-WAN, you must change the whole policy that you see in the interface.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for about two years.

Fortinet FortiGate is stable so far. We had a difficulty, but after we opened the support, we found out that it was only from having the wrong config. But so far, it is stable.

So far our biggest client is only FortiGate 400, a small-medium business.

Their technical support is very helpful, although they only have it for their in-the-box and sometimes we have difficulty with the out of box, with the ISP or other things. So we must find a solution for the customer. But if it is the wrong product or if there is a configuration issue in the product, yes, they're very helpful.

I have also worked with the Hillstone network, with Palo Alto and with Barracuda.

In terms of support, so far FortiGate is helpful whereas with Barracuda I didn't get the support like FortiGate.

The initial setup and new configuration are very easy. It is very user-friendly. It's only three clicks from the menu, two or three sub-menus and we already have it configured. It's not difficult because we have experience with the SonicWall, Palo Alto, etc.., but Fortinet is user-friendly.

In terms of price, FortiGate's price is reasonable. Most of the customers stand by it, and are aware that the price is worth it for the performance.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice for anyone looking to use FortiGate, you need to learn about trouble-shooting, because sometimes you find out you have the wrong configuration, not because of a FortiGate problem or FortiGate config, so you are responsible to handle the trouble-shooting.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiGate a nine.

One thing they could offer is a version that already has the configuration. This would make it easier. This is something that I would request. I worked with Barracuda, I worked with Palo Alto. If you want it easy. It's very easy. But FortiGate needs to have something more like that, to do it faster.

KrishnakumarNair - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at KSB MIL Controls Limited
Easy to use with good customization and an easy initial setup
  • "The solution is very, very easy to use."
  • "The integration with third-party tools may be something that they should work on."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a firewall plus as an overall UTM. We do not, however, use it as an SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very, very easy to use.

The user interface is very nice.

The product seems to offer pretty good customization.

The configuration of the product has been very straightforward and simple.

The reporting on offer is quite good.

The initial setup is straightforward as well.

We've found the pricing to be pretty good.

Technical support from the partner has been very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The integration with third-party tools may be something that they should work on. We haven't actually tried to implement that, however.

I've been working with the solution for close to ten years. It's been at least a decade at this point. It's been a while.

We haven't had any issues with the solution's stability. It's very reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. I can't recall experiencing bugs or glitches at all over the time I've used it.

The scalability of the solution seems to be pretty good. We haven't had any issues in that respect.

Currently, our organization has about 125 users on the product.

While I don't have a direct line to Fortigate, I have used our partner support. They have been excellent and we are quite satisfied with the level of service we receive from them. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

The initial setup is not complex at all. I found it to be very straightforward. This was due to the fact that we had this solution procured along back in 2007 or 2008, as a smaller firewall, a FortiGate 60C.

We don't have anyone that handles maintenance full-time. It's an on-call situation. If we have issues or need maintenance, we raise a ticket and it is dealt with.

The pricing of the solution is fair. We don't find it to be overly expensive.

I've never looked at other products and therefore would not be able to really compare this solution to anything.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users of the product. We don't have a business relationship with Fortinet.

I'd recommend the solution. It's very simple and easy to use. On top of that, it offers peace of mind.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Network Engineer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
A simple-to-configure and stable product with VPN concentrator and competitive pricing
  • "The simplicity of the configuration and the stability of the product are most valuable. The VPN concentrator is very useful."
  • "It is quite new for us, and we need to go more in-depth into the monitoring tools. It provides different features that we need to do what we want. So far, it is okay for us. In terms of improvement, in the future, they can provide a faster implementation of features. Some of the features are first available in other solutions. Fortinet sometimes takes a little bit longer than other solutions, such as Check Point, to implement new features."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it in our data center. It is being used at the perimeter of our data center to protect the applications that we have inside the data center. We are at the beginning of its installation in our data center. We have recently installed a new cluster for IPS functionality, and we have to check if this cluster does the job.

We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the configuration and the stability of the product are most valuable. The VPN concentrator is very useful.

What needs improvement?

It is quite new for us, and we need to go more in-depth into the monitoring tools. It provides different features that we need to do what we want. So far, it is okay for us. In terms of improvement, in the future, they can provide a faster implementation of features. Some of the features are first available in other solutions. Fortinet sometimes takes a little bit longer than other solutions, such as Check Point, to implement new features.

It is quite a new product for us. We started using it only about six months ago.

Its stability is okay for us. Since we have put this new cluster, we haven't had any problems or crashes. It's okay for us from this point of view.

We got this firewall just less than a year ago, and we hope to see good performance in three or four years.

There are around 10,000 people in our company, and they are all using FortiGate because they all need to go through this cluster of firewalls.

I have not yet interacted with them. That's because we didn't encounter any important issues. When we have any technical questions, our partner has been able to answer our questions. So, I don't have any experience with Fortinet support.

It is straightforward at the beginning.

We worked with a partner. Usually, when we have a project, we do the initial setup with this partner. After that, we are able to manage the firewall without any outside help.

Its pricing is competitive with other solutions.

We chose it after comparing different solutions on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. It is very easy to use. We are happy to use this product.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Compliance Officer at a venture capital & private equity firm with 11-50 employees
Good UI, easy to use, and offers reasonable pricing
  • "Overall, the pricing of the solution is very good. The product offers good value."
  • "There aren't really any negative aspects to discuss."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for our network, as virtual security of the network. It helps protect us and keeps us safe.

What is most valuable?

The overall experience has been very good. It fully meets our requirements. We find the solution to be pretty user-friendly.

The solution has a lot of features. I'm not sure if there is one that stands out as the most valuable for us.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The vendor has been very good at providing us with everything we need.

The product is quite flexible.

We've found the scalability to be very good.

The dashboards and UI are very nice.

What needs improvement?

We aren't really missing any features.

The solution isn't lacking anything. We've been overall very please with the experience we've had. There aren't really any negative aspects to discuss.

I have used the solution for a while. It's been more than five years at this point.

So far, we have found the stability of the product to be quite good. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. We haven't experienced bugs or glitches. The performance is reliable. It's good.

You can scale the solution if you need to. It's not a difficult thing to do.

We do plan to continue using this solution.

We don't have any experience with technical support. No problems have really presented themselves, and therefore there hasn't been a need to reach out at all. Therefore, we can't really speak to the helpfulness of technical support.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

This is a cloud-based solution. Therefore, there really isn't an installation process per se. It's very easy to get started.

The solution offers good value for your money. It isn't too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It is my understanding that we are using the latest version of the solution. However, I am not 100% positive. I don't know which version number we are currently on.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the product. It would depend on each individual company's needs.

I would rate this solution at an eight out of ten. It's been a pretty positive experience overall.

Adriana Ymeri - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Infrastructure Engineer at Communication Progress
Scalable, Easy to implement, security fabric integration, wireless controller, low cost, stable
  • "Web filtering and two-factor authentication are great features."
  • "Vulnerability scanning could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution for our clients is for protecting internal networks with data center firewalls, internal segmentation and next generation firewalls.

We are a gold partner of Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

SD-WAN, Security fabric integration, two-factor authentication, ADVPN, Dynamic routing, single pane of glas managements are great features. FortiGate is very easy to use, and to configure.

What needs improvement?

I think some improvements could be made in vulnerability scanning. I'd also like to see additional features in the authentication. They support RADIUS, LDAP  but the solution doesn't have API integration with other solutions. They have API in FortiAuthenticator, but not in the firewall and not all customers want to buy another solution.

I've been providing this solution to clients for seven years.

This is a very stable solution.

This solution is scalable. They have now built hyperscale firewalls and it's very easy. Also VMs, for example, is very easy to scale, you just need to adjust the licensing.

Technical support is very, very good. They respond quickly and provide the solution to the problem.

I have previously used Check Point and Cisco ASA. In terms of cost and security features, Fortinet has the advantage and it's also easy to implement. Cisco and Check Point are a little bit more difficult in that aspect.

The initial setup is simple, as with all Fortinet technologies. Deployment time depends on the situation. For small customers it takes about one to two hours. For larger companies with different kinds of firewalls in their infrastructure, it may take a day or two, it depends on the complexity of the network, the infrastructure and the size of the business. The solution is suitable for any size company. Maintenance depends on the contract with our customers, but Fortinet includes support with every license. If a customer wants support from us, we provide it.

Fortinet offers four types of licensing - Advanced Threat Protection, Unified Threat Protection and Enterprise Protection and 360 degree Protection.  Licensing costs are dependent on the VM  or Hardware model, not per features. For example if vm or Hardware model supports 200 IPsec tunnels you can setup 200 IPsec tunnels, it doesn't matter what kind of license you have.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Ahmad Aloqlah - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at GlobalTech
Powerful firewall with a user friendly interface and content filtering
  • "The most valuable feature is the interface, which is very user friendly. We are utilizing most of the features, like content filtering. The firewall is powerful."
  • "The renewal price and the availability could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is mainly for firewalls. We tried FortiClient as well and FortiToken, but we mainly use it for the firewall.

The solution is deployed on-prem. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interface, which is very user friendly. We are utilizing most of the features, like content filtering. The firewall is powerful.

What needs improvement?

The renewal price and the availability could be improved. We faced a lot of delivery issues because of the pandemic situation. We are a customer, but sometimes we have sister companies, so we deliver or order a few extra boxes. In these cases we are facing some delays, like three or four months. There are a massive delays in deliveries and they're saying that it's from the vendor itself. I don't know how long this will last or if it's just temporary.

We have been using this solution for six to seven years.

The solution is stable. The only issue is the renewal price, which is always higher compared to the purchase price.

We have two people for maintenance from network and security.

We have up to 100 users, and we are pretty satisfied. It's stable. We have never had to scale up because of the newest model. We go with C, E, then F, but at the same level, we never had to upgrade the hardware itself to a higher or a bigger model.

We raised a few tickets and issues, and they replied to us. It was pretty good. We have never faced any problems with getting our issues resolved.

It was straightforward. We didn't face any issues.

We implemented through a reseller and it took couple of days. There were some modifications and configurations that took more time, but the core configuration took a couple of days.

The renewal price is always higher compared to the purchase price.

Fortinet is one of our top products, our main products. They have 75% market share, so we cannot ignore the fact that they are in the market, but I need an alternate solution. I don't want to depend on only one vendor, so I think Sophos will be a good option for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022