IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Luis Adrián Acurio - PeerSpot reviewer
Telecommunications Specialistde Telecomunicaciones at Telalca
Overall high quality, great customer service, and simple installation
  • "The ability to make different types of networks, such as land networks, is the most valuable part of the solution."
  • "There are some areas of improvement needed in roaming and streaming."

What is our primary use case?

Some of my clients have used this product as a Mobility Express Solution and a Mobility Controller. There are numerous potential use cases for this product.

What is most valuable?

The ability to make different types of networks, such as land networks, is the most valuable part of the solution.

What needs improvement?

There are some areas of improvement in roaming and streaming.

In the next release, I would like to see VPN features and the client match feature available in Aruba Wireless. Additionally, I would like a feature to see where a particular client is during roaming and the information about a client should be shared better throughout their connection activity.

I have been using the solution for approximately four years.

Cisco Wireless
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is very good.

The solution is scalable. It is great because if you have an enterprise, you can deploy the solutions with the network controllers physically or with the Mobility Express you can make a cluster without the controller. We have 20 to 30 clients and at our main office, we have 200 employees which use the solution wirelessly.

The technical support is great, I never had any problem with them. When I needed support or to make a ticket they always responded to me.

My clients, and I, have used Ruckus networks previously. My clients wanted to move to Cisco because they know the value Cisco offers and are thinking of implement some IoT solutions in the future, they wanted top quality. Later they also found Cisco is a little bit easier to implement.

I did not have any problems doing the installation. I had enough step by step information from Cisco to follow and with the troubleshooting.

It took me approximately three months to deploy the solution, but this involved going to different parts of Ecuador to fully implement it. The deployment took two engineers to put the AP physically into place.

The price is a little high. However, you get what you pay for. The quality of the product is high, you will find it is worth the money. There is some additional cost, for example, customer support.

I have evaluated Aruba Wireless in the past, they had some features Cisco does not that were useful.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product because it is easy to implement, and it has good performance with utilities that are needed within the office.

I rate Cisco Wireless a nine out of ten.

YaserAltwailey - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at Saudi Customs
Very stable with good technical support and a straightforward setup
  • "The installation process is very easy."
  • "If they could offer better coverage, we'd be much happier."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for so many things. We are a Saudi customs organization, and we are using it for the mobile user inside the port and for the trucks themselves. We use it for the trucks as the trucks also need to use wireless. They're moving inside the port. We need it for providing internet to the user. We also use it for the intranet network and for the internet network.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite stable.

The installation process is very easy.

Technical support has been mostly helpful in the past.

What needs improvement?

The coverage has given us a few issues. We have some of the wireless devices flooding. The scalability is off. It needs to be better. If they could offer better coverage, we'd be much happier.

I've been using the solution for about 15 years at this point. It's been well over a decade. It's been a while.

The solution has been quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is largely pretty good.

The scalability isn't the best. It doesn't give us the coverage we need. There isn't good mapping for the wireless and the access points.

We have about 600 people who are using our access points.

We likely will be increasing usage in the future.

We've been in touch with technical support. They're okay. We've been satisfied with their level of support.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's an easy process. It's not overly complex. A company should be able to handle the process with relative ease.

The deployment takes only a few minutes. It's pretty fast. It's not that big of a project.

We have about 40 people on staff that can handle deployment and maintenance.

We do not need to pay a licensing fee to Cisco.

We've previously used Huawei and Aruba as well for wireless.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

We're using the latest version of the solution right now.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations looking for a wireless solution. For the most part, it's worked well for us.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten as it's been mostly reliable.

Cisco Wireless
August 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solution Manager, Network at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Simple and easy to configure but quite pricey
  • "It's very easy to configure the access points."
  • "The reporting of the product could be improved. When I needed to troubleshoot, I couldn't get sufficient information from the controller."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for wireless services. We use it for wireless LAN.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity is the solution's most valuable aspect.

It's very easy to configure the access points.

The solution is scalable.

The solution is stable.

The initial implementation is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is a bit high. It could be less expensive. If they could work to lessen the cost, it would be helpful.

The reporting of the product could be improved. When I needed to troubleshoot, I couldn't get sufficient information from the controller.

It would be useful if they could add in features like AI for easier troubleshooting.

I used this product at my previous company. It's been seven or eight years. However, I do not work there anymore.

After using it for eight years, I can vouch for its stability. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable in terms of performance.

The scalability is okay. It's more or less affected by the infrastructure design as it is based on coverage. When we need to expand coverage, we will have to just add more.

Technical support was okay in general. However, I had one negative experience doing a proof of concept with Cisco Malaysia for a Cisco ISE product. Their engineer wasn't a master of the product. It seemed the help they gave to us wasn't that knowledgeable.

I also have experience with Aruba and Ruckus.

The initial setup wasn't overly complex or difficult. It was pretty straightforward. Back then we were using the Cisco Network as well - both wired and wireless. The configuration was quite simple.

The cost of the product is rather high. It's one of the downsides.

What other advice do I have?

We're were just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Cisco at this time.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if it was more reasonable in terms of pricing and if the reporting was better.

If a company would like to implement this product, they must make sure the pricing doesn't bother them and that they buy enough devices in order to ensure proper coverage for their needs.

Chief of Systems at a mining and metals company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reliable security, easy device install, and expandable infrastructure
  • "Some of the valuable features of this solution are security, the controller is simple to configure, devices are easy to install, and we use the software to administrate all the APs."
  • "The integration with our CM and other technologies could improve this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our enterprise offices where some access points are installed.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features of this solution are security, the controller is simple to configure, devices are easy to install, and we use the software to administrate all the APs.

What needs improvement?

The integration with our CM and other technologies could improve this solution. If it could detect other networks better, when it comes to security, and have the ability to mark or block the suspicious activity when known would be a benefit and should be in an upcoming release.

I have been using the solution for 10 years.

There are a few issues initially with the stability but they were resolved quickly by Cisco.

The solution is scalable, it is easy to grow the infrastructure. We have approximately 10,000 uses using the solution.

The technical support is very quick in responding to our issues and returning a solution. Additionally, customer service was good, they provided us with some training on the solution.

We used HP products before we switched to Cisco. The reason we switched was that this solution was more secure, the price was better, it was easier to implement, and the integration with our infrastructure from LAN and WAN was superior.

The installation is easy.

We did not have any problem with the implementation of the solution it is straightforward. It took approximately one week. We do implementation ourselves but sometimes we use an integrator. We have approximately three engineers doing the maintenance of the solution.

The price of this solution is a little more than competitors.

We did evaluate Aruba, which is from HP, before choosing this solution. The main reason why Cisco is better is the security model. They are easy to configure and have better technology. However, they are not as cheap a solution compared to others. We are currently evaluating Cisco ISE and are using the demo.

What other advice do I have?

When we are opening up a new location we are going to continue using the solution. This solution is standard with our organization. Even though Cisco tends to be more costly than other solutions you get more than you pay for.

I rate Cisco Wireless a nine out of ten.

Assistant Network Operations Security Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Advanced features needed, stable and good support
  • "The most valuable features are mobility and security."
  • "The solution could improve by having more advanced features, such as AI that is able to do diagnosis on the network or detect incorrect configurations and is able to tell you what is the recommended practice. Additionally, it would be a benefit to have smart antennas that are able to track your movement, Wi-Fi 6 support, better transfer rates, low latency, stronger signals that can penetrate thick walls, and zero packet losses."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Wireless so that our users can have conductivity within the building.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco Wireless has improved our productivity.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are mobility and security.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more advanced features, such as AI that is able to do diagnosis on the network or detect incorrect configurations and is able to tell you what is the recommended practice. Additionally, it would be a benefit to have smart antennas that are able to track your movement, Wi-Fi 6 support, better transfer rates, low latency, stronger signals that can penetrate thick walls, and zero packet losses.

We want a solution that can do flex connect allowing the solution to resolve the clients without depending on the controller. The controllers should only do the policy automation, or the configuration change. We don't want the controller to be in line with the data phase.

I have used Cisco Wireless within the last 12 months.

The stability of the solution has been fine for over a decade. The newer solutions will have better technology and will give us more.

The solution is scalable. We have not had any congestion issues.

We have over 5,000 users using this solution. Will would increase the usage of this solution if more users need access.

The technical support from Cisco is very good.

The installation is not difficult and took approximately two weeks.

Cisco Wireless has saved us some costs because you don't need to provision network points for every new staff. All we do is give the staff an IT work tool, such as a wireless laptop or a wireless computer, and they can be part of the network as soon as possible.

We have to pay for the hardware and support is extra and we do pay for the support.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement this solution is they should have very good support. You don't have to be a leader in the market. They don't have to be challengers. You don't have to be a visionary. If you have very good support clients will be happy with the product.

I rate Cisco Wireless a five out of ten.

It specialist
Easy to configure with good functionality and performance
  • "I've found it to be quite secure."
  • "We've recently had hardware issues which have caused us some problems."

What is our primary use case?

We moved to the solution after we had some hardware issues.

We use it with laptops for wireless connection via the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good. If you compare it to Aruba, we find the ability to roam much better.

The functionality has been very good.

The stability is very good overall.

It's easy to configure.

I've found it to be quite secure.

What needs improvement?

We've recently had hardware issues which have caused us some problems.

There are some models that have more coverage than ours. We'd like for them to work towards providing more coverage across models.

The solution is a bit expensive.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half. It hasn't been too long.

We've had a good experience with the stability of this product. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable for the most part I don't recall it crashing or freezing.

We have about 90 users of the solution in our office at this time.

We don't really deal with support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We also use Meraki as well.

I'm aware of Aruba's capabilities and find Cisco to be better. However, it costs a bit more than Aruba.

The installation process isn't too difficult.

I cannot speak to exactly how long it took to deploy. I can't remember the length of time off-hand.

Three people worked on the implementation. They were a manager and two technicians.

While we did have some access to information to help us, we mostly handled the implementation process on our own.

The pricing is on the high side. For example, it is more expensive to use than Aruba.

We have a license, however, I do not manage it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others, however, it depends on the capabilities of the end-user. Some may find it difficult.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We are pleased with it so far.

PauloDiniz - PeerSpot reviewer
Sales Leader - Data Center at YSSY & Co
Great technical support with a simple setup and a flexible design
  • "Support is fantastic. They are helpful and responsive."
  • "The pricing of Brazil is very expensive. When you look at other options, they are much cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily offer my clients solutions with managed services, the standard managed services. It is used for wireless connectivity.

What is most valuable?

Our team is able to design the solution with the necessary features. It's flexible.

The solution overall is quite good.

Support is fantastic. They are helpful and responsive.

It's a very simple solution to set up.

We find the solution to be scalable.

The stability on offer is great.

What needs improvement?

I've been working with Cisco since 2000. I've had well over a decade of experience with the product so far. I've used it for a long time.

The stability has been great. We haven't had any issues. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches that you have to deal with. The performance is good.

We've found the solution to be quite scalable. If a company wants to expand it, it's not a problem.

We have about 200 people using Cisco Wireless right now.

Technical support from Cisco is excellent. We are very satisfied with their level of attention. They have always been helpful and responsive.

I have experience with both Meraki and Cisco.

The initial setup is simple. A company shouldn't have any issues with it. It is not something that is too difficult or complex.

We have five engineers that can handle deployment for our clients.

We've used both consultants and resellers when it comes to setting up the solution.

If our clients need assistance, we can help them set it up.

The cost of the solution is quite high.

Clients can pay a licensing fee on a monthly basis.

Any extra fees would depend on the individual client projects.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Cisco partner.

I used various deployment models, including cloud and on-premises as well as hybrid.

I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been quite happy with its capabilities overall.

Technology Architect at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable and robust, but needs simpler licensing and management
  • "It is a reliable and robust solution. Access and Mobility Groups are useful. We don't use anything very fancy."
  • "Its licensing has been very frustrating. There is also the complexity of managing the product. These are probably the two reasons why we're looking at Aruba. The way they license this product is not simple. There are some good features in the latest version, but there are additional license costs as well, which is frustrating for us. It is not really a feature issue for us. It really comes down to cost and licensing. They should make it a bit simpler to manage. We find the overall solution a little bit more complex than we would like to deal with. Its troubleshooting is a bit difficult, and it does require a high skill set. Comparatively, Aruba seems quite simple. One of the benefits of the Aruba product is that it is cloud-managed. We don't have to manage the management platform itself, whereas Cisco is on-premise. Its user interface could also be better."

What is our primary use case?

We've got a very large install base with Cisco Wireless. We use it for a number of situations.
We use it in warehouses, retail branches, and offices.

What is most valuable?

It is a reliable and robust solution. Access and Mobility Groups are useful. We don't use anything very fancy.

What needs improvement?

Its licensing has been very frustrating. There is also the complexity of managing the product. These are probably the two reasons why we're looking at Aruba.

The way they license this product is not simple. There are some good features in the latest version, but there are additional license costs as well, which is frustrating for us. It is not really a feature issue for us. It really comes down to cost and licensing.

They should make it a bit simpler to manage. We find the overall solution a little bit more complex than we would like to deal with. Its troubleshooting is a bit difficult, and it does require a high skill set. Comparatively, Aruba seems quite simple. One of the benefits of the Aruba product is that it is cloud-managed. We don't have to manage the management platform itself, whereas Cisco is on-premise. Its user interface could also be better.

I have been using this solution for maybe 15 years.

It is stable and reliable.

It is scalable. There are no issues with scalability. We have approximately 5,000 users.

They are very good. I am satisfied with their technical support.

Over the last 15 years, we've done so many installations, and we've had them refreshed many times. We've also done installations in the last six months. It is in the middle in terms of complexity. It is neither straightforward nor too complex.

Its licensing is not simple. There are additional license costs for features, which is frustrating for us. There are some features that are included for free in the base Aruba product, but they are available at additional costs in this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Wireless a six out of ten.

Download our free Cisco Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022