IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A wireless LAN solution with a robust cloud manageability feature
  • "The cloud manageability feature is valuable."
  • "It would be better if they enable full integration with Cisco's cloud-based network in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for enterprise wireless and hospitality wireless. We're using it to cater to all customer needs.

What is most valuable?

The cloud manageability feature is valuable. We can access it from anywhere. We don't have to get customers remote connections, we can simply log in using the internet, and they're easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they enable full integration with Cisco's cloud-based network in the next release. A couple of years back, we did an integration with Cisco Identity Services Engine. There we had some integration issues. Cisco had access in the portfolio, but Cisco Wireless wasn't fully compatible with that integration. If we sell Meraki, we can't promote some other Cisco products because there's a clash.

I've been using Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for around four years.
Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is a stable and reliable solution. We have a dedicated team to perform maintenance.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is scalable. We have some customers that own 100 branches and they're connected. There was no issue regarding scalability.

Cisco's technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took us a few weeks to deploy, not much.

We implemented Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN as we're an integrator.

The price is on the high side when compared to Aruba. We pay for Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

If you need a simple feature set, you can use Meraki basically without any issues. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN an eight.

Network Communication Solutions Manager at IT Solutions N.V
Reseller
Monitoring features offer visibility into the health of your connection
  • "I like the status page Cisco added that shows you the health of the wireless connection."
  • "They could also add some more controls for guest access. For example, when you have a captive portal, it would be nice to limit the amount of time users can stay connected per day. Right now, you can only configure the splash frequency. And you can set the connection for one hour, but you have to use the billing feature."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it in a enterprise network, a financial business. Users are completely using it for accessing the servers, internal networking, so the building is completely wireless and the wireless is the main connection to the network, for the gas separate network and for the lease

What is most valuable?

I like the status page Cisco added that shows you the health of the wireless connection.

What needs improvement?

Cisco could add more security features on the other layers, like if Cisco's IPS antivirus could be downloaded. They could also add some more controls for guest access. For example, when you have a captive portal, it would be nice to limit the amount of time users can stay connected per day. Right now, you can only configure the splash frequency. And you can set the connection for one hour, but you have to use the billing feature.

Meraki WLAN is stable. However, some APs that are around five years old have peer connectivity problems.

Meraki WLAN is easy to scale. If it's a small network of around 50 access points, I think one staffer can handle the installation and maintenance. But if you go over 50 access points — about 400 clients — you would need one more staffer.

Cisco technical support goes deeper into troubleshooting than other vendors that I've worked with. They're more superficial compared to Cisco.

The initial setup is easy. If you have an ACP network with internet access, it's just a plugin.

It's a little expensive to use Meraki WLAN. You have to pay for all the licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco Meraki WLAN eight out of 10.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN
May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of tecnology at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Provides ease of deployment and management, but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to throughput, availability, and other technical capabilities
  • "For Meraki, the ease of deployment and management is most valuable."
  • "Meraki leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to the technical capabilities in terms of throughput, spectrum, management, higher-level functions, etc"

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller, and because we're doing mostly refreshes, we have its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

Its interface is not as daunting as others, which makes customers a bit more at ease.

What is most valuable?

For Meraki, the ease of deployment and management is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Meraki leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to the technical capabilities in terms of throughput, spectrum, management, higher-level functions, etc.

I have been using this solution for eight years or so.

Its stability is a five out of 10.

Its scalability is a five out of 10.

I would probably rate them a six out of 10.

Meraki is probably the most straightforward.

For its deployment and maintenance, just one engineer is required for a medium-sized company.

The return on the investment with Meraki isn't from scalability, rollout, or saving in hardware costs or software costs. The save is either in terms of the ability to keep the number of technicians that you hire or in terms of being able to outsource it all together to an organization that specializes in it. The higher costs of Meraki are offset by the cost of the people you may have to bring in, depending on your Wi-Fi airspace.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise knowing your use case and matching it to the technology.

I would rate it a six out of 10. It provides ease of management to customers, but it is not for throughput and availability.

Richard Frick - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at The Museum of the City of San Francisco
A reliable cloud-based solution with good support, but its biggest downside is the yearly fee and the initial price
  • "It is cloud-based. You can manage it remotely from anywhere in the world, and you don't have to be on-site, which is a very big advantage."
  • "It is super expensive for what you get. I just wish it was less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for Wi-Fi.

What is most valuable?

It is cloud-based. You can manage it remotely from anywhere in the world, and you don't have to be on-site, which is a very big advantage.

What needs improvement?

It is super expensive for what you get. I just wish it was less expensive.

I have been using this solution for 20 years.

It is stable and very reliable.

You just buy more. In terms of the number of users, it is used by everyone in the organization. It is Wi-Fi, so you hook your phone or laptop. Everybody uses it.

Their technical support is very good. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

I've used Ubiquiti. The reason I use them is that they're very inexpensive, but they're not cloud-based. You have to be on-premises in order to manage them.

It is really easy.

It is super expensive for what you get. You also have to buy a license every year. Otherwise, it stops working.

What other advice do I have?

If you can afford it, you should go for it.

I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN a six out of ten. The biggest downside is the yearly fee and the initial price, but it is very reliable.

Other
Network Administrator at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to deploy, includes a cloud controller, and updates continuously
  • "Meraki WLAN is easy to deploy, includes a cloud controller, and updates continuously. It also offers high visibility."
  • "The licensing isn't very customer-centric. They may have improved it, but previously, if you forgot to pay on a certain day, your service would be shut off."

What is our primary use case?

We use Meraki Wireless LAN to provide wireless services at a school.

What is most valuable?

Meraki WLAN is easy to deploy, includes a cloud controller, and updates continuously. It also offers high visibility.

We had one location for over a year, so I was familiar with the console for three years and the wireless solution for over a year.

Meraki WLAN is solid. I can't recall the last time I had to replace an AP or anything like that.

I would say that Meraki WLAN is scalable, but the licensing makes it a little difficult. You can't just add on more APs within your scope. You have to purchase more licenses to scale.

I really only used my sales engineer for support. He was able to answer most of my questions, but he was previously an engineer before, so I didn't have to call them.

Deployment is straightforward. It requires very little configuration.

What other advice do I have?

From a purely technical point of view, I would rate Meraki WLAN eight out of 10. If you are considering implementing Meraki, I would suggest considering the size of your team. If you are strapped for resources, I would say go with something else over Cisco. But as far as functionality goes, I would rate it over some of the others, like Juniper and Mist.

Kimsin Phan - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager, IT Infrastructure at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good interface makes it easy to manage, and it provides good connectivity
  • "The interface makes it easy to manage."
  • "When we are using SSID roaming, it is not flexible in terms of which AP it connects to."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide wireless connectivity.

What is most valuable?

The interface makes it easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

The price of Meraki Wireless should be reduced to make it more affordable.

When we are using SSID roaming, it is not flexible in terms of which AP it connects to. It will not switch to the closet one, but rather, it will maintain a connection with the first one that it had connected to. This has a negative effect on signal quality because as we move around the building and the signal from the original access point gets weaker, it remains connected to it.

We have been using the Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for more than one year.

The stability is good.

Scaling has not been an issue.

We have been in contact with technical support and they have made suggestions to deal with problems that we have had.

The pricing is based on a subscription and is a bit high at the moment.

I am currently searching for solutions that perform similarly to Cisco Meraki, but are most cost-effective. If in the future, the price of Meraki remains as high, then we will be choosing another product.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, I find that this is a really good product and I recommend it. However, improvements with the cost and signal roaming would make it better.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Easy to deploy, good technical support, and you can manage multiple locations from a single pane of glass

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is one of the network-related infrastructure devices that we sell. Our customers deploy it where they want to have one single management pane across multiple locations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of deployment.

What needs improvement?

The price could be slightly lowered to make it more competitive in the market.

We have been reselling this product for between one and two years.

This product is quite stable and we haven't had any issues with our client.

Scalability has not been a problem.

The technical support is good.

I have used Cisco Aironet as well, and I find the Meraki Wireless much easier to deploy.

The initial setup is easier than some other solutions, such as Cisco Aironet. It takes four to five days to complete the deployment.

Our in-house team does the deployment for our customers.

This solution is slightly more expensive than others, such as Ruckus Wi-Fi. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and one that we recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

BRETT SCHRIOCK - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Director at Madison County
Stable, works well, and you don't have to worry about it
  • "What I liked about these is that they worked. I didn't touch them or do anything with them. They were up and running when I came here. Once they are set up and running, you don't have to worry about them."
  • "It is expensive. Juniper seems to have a lot more to offer for future expansion. Juniper has some features that are not there in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

They were for our Sheriff's department.

What is most valuable?

What I liked about these is that they worked. I didn't touch them or do anything with them. They were up and running when I came here. Once they are set up and running, you don't have to worry about them.

What needs improvement?

It is expensive. Juniper seems to have a lot more to offer for future expansion. Juniper has some features that are not there in this solution.

It has been over three years.

They have been very stable. We didn't see any issues.

I didn't have to scale it. We had 26 users. They included secretaries and deputies to Sheriff.

I never used them. I never had to.

They were set up before I got here.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to take a look at Juniper. We were using Cisco Meraki devices, but they are kind of end-of-life. We're changing our systems because of a policy change about the use of wireless solutions. So, we don't need them anymore. Juniper seems to have a lot more to offer for future expansion.

I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN a nine out of ten. It works well.

Download our free Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022