Richard Frick - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at The Museum of the City of San Francisco
A reliable cloud-based solution with good support, but its biggest downside is the yearly fee and the initial price
  • "It is cloud-based. You can manage it remotely from anywhere in the world, and you don't have to be on-site, which is a very big advantage."
  • "It is super expensive for what you get. I just wish it was less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for Wi-Fi.

What is most valuable?

It is cloud-based. You can manage it remotely from anywhere in the world, and you don't have to be on-site, which is a very big advantage.

What needs improvement?

It is super expensive for what you get. I just wish it was less expensive.

I have been using this solution for 20 years.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable and very reliable.

You just buy more. In terms of the number of users, it is used by everyone in the organization. It is Wi-Fi, so you hook your phone or laptop. Everybody uses it.

Their technical support is very good. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

I've used Ubiquiti. The reason I use them is that they're very inexpensive, but they're not cloud-based. You have to be on-premises in order to manage them.

It is really easy.

It is super expensive for what you get. You also have to buy a license every year. Otherwise, it stops working.

What other advice do I have?

If you can afford it, you should go for it.

I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN a six out of ten. The biggest downside is the yearly fee and the initial price, but it is very reliable.

Other
Network Administrator at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to deploy, includes a cloud controller, and updates continuously
  • "Meraki WLAN is easy to deploy, includes a cloud controller, and updates continuously. It also offers high visibility."
  • "The licensing isn't very customer-centric. They may have improved it, but previously, if you forgot to pay on a certain day, your service would be shut off."

What is our primary use case?

We use Meraki Wireless LAN to provide wireless services at a school.

What is most valuable?

Meraki WLAN is easy to deploy, includes a cloud controller, and updates continuously. It also offers high visibility.

We had one location for over a year, so I was familiar with the console for three years and the wireless solution for over a year.

Meraki WLAN is solid. I can't recall the last time I had to replace an AP or anything like that.

I would say that Meraki WLAN is scalable, but the licensing makes it a little difficult. You can't just add on more APs within your scope. You have to purchase more licenses to scale.

I really only used my sales engineer for support. He was able to answer most of my questions, but he was previously an engineer before, so I didn't have to call them.

Deployment is straightforward. It requires very little configuration.

What other advice do I have?

From a purely technical point of view, I would rate Meraki WLAN eight out of 10. If you are considering implementing Meraki, I would suggest considering the size of your team. If you are strapped for resources, I would say go with something else over Cisco. But as far as functionality goes, I would rate it over some of the others, like Juniper and Mist.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN
November 2022
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BRETT SCHRIOCK - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Director at Madison County
Stable, works well, and you don't have to worry about it
  • "What I liked about these is that they worked. I didn't touch them or do anything with them. They were up and running when I came here. Once they are set up and running, you don't have to worry about them."
  • "It is expensive. Juniper seems to have a lot more to offer for future expansion. Juniper has some features that are not there in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

They were for our Sheriff's department.

What is most valuable?

What I liked about these is that they worked. I didn't touch them or do anything with them. They were up and running when I came here. Once they are set up and running, you don't have to worry about them.

What needs improvement?

It is expensive. Juniper seems to have a lot more to offer for future expansion. Juniper has some features that are not there in this solution.

It has been over three years.

They have been very stable. We didn't see any issues.

I didn't have to scale it. We had 26 users. They included secretaries and deputies to Sheriff.

I never used them. I never had to.

They were set up before I got here.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to take a look at Juniper. We were using Cisco Meraki devices, but they are kind of end-of-life. We're changing our systems because of a policy change about the use of wireless solutions. So, we don't need them anymore. Juniper seems to have a lot more to offer for future expansion.

I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN a nine out of ten. It works well.

Head of Corporate Accounts at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable solution used for 15 years, complemented by an effective support team

What is our primary use case?

We have previously used PBXs, wireless solutions and LAN solutions. Our strategy is now to move everything to the cloud which is why we moved to using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The fact that Cisco Meraki is cloud based and is reasonably priced has been most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It would be useful to have a service management platform integrated within this solution where we can measure the customer experience. It would also be useful to have assistance with the go-to-market strategy when using this solution.

We are a partner of Cisco and we have been working with them since 2006.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution solution. We are based in Mauritius and since it is a small island, the scale we need fits into the range that Meraki can offer.

This solution has a good support team and when we raise a support case, it is resolved quickly. We have a local representative for Cisco and they facilitate any support we need.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was straightforward and deployment was easy.

We have our own team who are certified in using this solution and who implemented it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Network Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good management, easy to setup, stable, and it is scalable

What is our primary use case?

I am a system integrator. I help integrate Meraki Solutions.

We have customers with offices in Sri Lanka who have other small resorts globally. We use Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for the management and configuration without having to go to the site.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the application visibility, which is one of the main features.

What needs improvement?

We need more options for core switches. More switches with hardware capabilities that can be used at the core level. That would be very helpful.

It would be good to integrate with ISE in the future.

I have been integrating Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for more than five years.

I don't have any issues with the stability of the Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN.

It's a scalable solution.

Most of our clients are enterprise companies.

Technical support is good but can be improved. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

I am a design engineer. I work with Cisco Meraki, Aruba, Alcatel, and Ruckus.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I would say that they have adequate pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN a nine out of ten.

Infrastructure Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Very easy installation, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We're using Meraki for our AP. We're also using Meraki for our SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

The visibility of the site is most useful.

What needs improvement?

Its licensing can be better.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is pretty stable.

We have scaled it. There is no problem.

We have 230 users, and they don't even know that it exists.

It is straightforward and very easy. It is basically plug-and-play.

It is very quick. It probably takes more time to actually do the physical installation.

I did one site myself. The rest were done by others. They were IT guys.

We have four people for deployment and maintenance. They are SMEs or system specialists.

Its price is okay for an enterprise. Its licensing is the most painful. If you hear anything bad about Cisco, it's about that. We're supposed to be one of the resellers but had to come back down to become a user. It's really bizarre.

We did evaluate other options. It was a long ago.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN an eight out of 10.

Network Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Reliable and easy to set up but support varies in quality
  • "Provided reliability and a good price."
  • "Quality of technical support varies."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is as an enterprise network for the user working in the office and for guests.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has provided reliability and a good price for my organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is wireless connectivity.

I've been using this solution for two to three years.

This is a scalable solution.

The quality of technical support varies, sometimes it's very good, sometimes not.

I also work with Cisco Wireless LAN. We choose to work with Meraki because we are familiar with the technology from selling the solution.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. In general, setup should not take more than one or two days.

Licensing is available on a yearly basis. A higher subscription fee may be necessary if extra features are required.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Meraki is quite reliable and provides good support, on a par with other brands. It also requires less time to implement and maintain the network, and it can save running and operating costs. I would rate this solution as seven out of ten.

Other
Andre Walke - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Co-Ordinator at Ministry of Innovation, Science and Smart Technology
Scalable, robust, and it can be deployed on the cloud and on-premises

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed this solution both on private cloud and on-premises across at least 100 distinct locations.

What needs improvement?

I can't say that there are any additional features that we would like to see included in it. Our only concern at this stage is how it's licensed.

We have been using Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for approximately four years.

It is very stable, very resilient, and very robust.

We don't have any challenges with the scalability so far. From our experience, it's quite scalable.

On a daily basis, we probably have an excess of 5,000 users on this solution.

There are no immediate plans to increase usage, however, there's probably a growth rate of about 5% to 8% per year for the next year or two.

This solution is not significantly hard to setup and deploy.

It's a manual process.

We deployed this solution across a complete government network over a three-year period.

We had a system integrations consultant working cohesively with us on it.

We don't like the licensing model and we think that it needs to be improved significantly.

What other advice do I have?

Download our free Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022