We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Mike-Robinson
Owner at Mar Consulting Services
Easy to set up and maintain, provide good visibility, and will email regular status updates
  • "The emailing of statuses is the most valuable feature."
  • "The annual maintenance is something that needs to be changed."

What is our primary use case?

These switches are part of our wireless network infrastructure. I have implemented them at 15 or 16 locations, each with between one and seven access points (APs).

What is most valuable?

The emailing of statuses is the most valuable feature. For example, if you lose power to the building or you lose your internet connection, you get an email to explain that it has happened. This gives you the opportunity, even in the middle of the night, to be en route to solve the problem before the office even opens up.

They provide good visibility on what's going on.

What needs improvement?

The annual maintenance is something that needs to be changed.

I have been using Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN products for ten years.

These switches are very stable.

The technical support is very good. They are responsible and knowledgeable. On the Meraki side, you get through right away, whereas, on the Cisco side, you put in a call, and then it is difficult to predict when they will return it.

I have a large number of Meraki Wireless LAN switches including MR12, MR16, MR32, MR42, and MR46 models. I also use other Meraki equipment within our infrastructure.

These switches are very easy to set up, and it is also very easy to upgrade the firmware.

These units cost between $800 and $900 per device and on top of that, you have to pay yearly fees for maintenance. The annual maintenance costs about $75 per year, which is why we are moving away from this solution.

We are moving to another line of products because of the yearly maintenance fee.

We will be implementing Fortinet products in our infrastructure, with FortiAPs and our wireless access points. The speed of the FortiAP is triple that of my Meraki MR, and the purchase price is $500 versus $900. The is no annual maintenance fee on the FortiAP.

Fortinet is up and coming and on the leading edge right now.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product but we're moving away from Meraki because we no longer want to pay annual maintenance fees.

Information Technology Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
Everything can be done through the GUI, easy to set up, and very stable
  • "It is easy to set up. You can do everything on the GUI. You don't need to trace cables. You don't need to connect to the switch. Everything is there, right in front of you."
  • "They're great. If there's anything that they need to change, it is just simplifying the site to which you go to make changes on the admin side."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for wireless and our network. All our switches and our APs are Meraki.

We are using its latest version. The device is on-prem, but everything is on the cloud. Meraki has its own cloud.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up. You can do everything on the GUI. You don't need to trace cables. You don't need to connect to the switch. Everything is there, right in front of you.

What needs improvement?

They're great. If there's anything that they need to change, it is just simplifying the site to which you go to make changes on the admin side.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is very stable.

I can add or remove without any issues. So, scalability is no issue. It is being extensively used in the organization at the moment.

I have never contacted their support. It has always been great.

We used to have just the plain Cisco, and we just switched to Meraki. We switched because in the past, for you to trace or change VLANs and all that, you actually needed to log into the actual switch and make the changes there. You had to run a lot of commands and all that, but with Meraki, you could just go to their portal and make the changes there. Everything is kind of right in front of you. So, it makes things so much easier.

It is easy to set up. It took weeks because we had to install it, but the setup itself only took an hour or two.

It was done in-house. In terms of maintenance, it is very lightweight. I'm the admin for it. We do have other IT staff, but they don't really have to do much.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go and get it now. If you don't have it, get it.

I would rate it a nine out of 10 for the ease of use.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Strategie, Innovazione e Customer Experience – Analytics & Customer Experience (CEX) Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Secure internet access with good technical support, but management needs to be simplified
  • "The most valuable feature is the technology of the security that is offered."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the central control plane have the flexibility to control and distribute policies to all LAN networks, balance the traffic, and the performance based on application monitoring."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for the branch network connecting with the core application in the data centers of our main customers.

We provide a Wi-Fi, secured internet connection for the customer branch.

This is an entry point to excel in other value-added services.

Connectivity is the base of our internet provider service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the technology of the security that is offered.

What needs improvement?

The connection to the internet via Wi-Fi, for external people who frequent the customer branch, needs improvement.

In the next release, I would like to see the central control plane have the flexibility to control and distribute policies to all LAN networks, balance the traffic, and the performance based on application monitoring.

I have been using this solution for approximately three or four months.

It's a stable solution.

This is not an area that I have explored as I am not a project specialist, but we would like to increase our usage.

We have approximately 300 users.

Technical support is good, but not easy to access and the technology is not open. It is very proprietary.

We have to have a variety of solution vendors in our portfolio. Currently, we have Aruba, Huawei, and Fortinet.

We will be increasing our vendors to include others to enlarge our portfolio.

Aruba is better for radio performance coverage, and it's easier. Meraki is more secure.

The initial setup is quite complex.

We have a team of six or seven internal members, plus the system integrator to maintain this solution.

We used a systems integrator selected by Meraki.

This solution is quite costly and there are costs in addition to the licensing fees.

Depending on the preference of the customer, we have some monthly or yearly licenses.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product I can recommend to others.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Husam Kabaha
CTO at Mechkar
Easy to use, straightforward to set up, and very stable
  • "The solution has worked very well in our campus environment."
  • "We would like the solution to work on the pricing of the solution. It would be ideal if it could bring the overall costs down."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our campus environment.

What is most valuable?

The solution has worked very well in our campus environment.

The solution has proven itself to be very stable so far.

The product is very easy to use.

The initial setup is very straightforward and easy.

We've found the connectivity to be excellent.

What needs improvement?

We haven't even used the solution for a year yet. We've used it for about six months or so. It hasn't been that long just yet.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. It's been good so far.

The solution can scale quite well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so fairly easily.

We currently use the solution in order to cover 500 users at our company.

Our company does plan to increase usage in the future.

Technical support has been fine. We've found them to be helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of support we receive.

The installation was very straightforward, from what I recall. A company shouldn't have any trouble with the initial setup. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The deployment is pretty fast. It only took us about two hours or so.

We did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator. We handled the initial implementation ourselves. We handled it in-house.

The pricing could be cheaper. It's the one pain point.

We pay a monthly fee.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the actual version number.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We haven't used it for that long, however, we have been quite satisfied with its overall capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations and users.

Network Administrator at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Stable, issue-free, and scalable
  • "I have found the scalability to be very good."
  • "Cisco offers pretty expensive devices."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for network connectivity. They have a microcontroller and size the firmware with access points. I didn't need to buy another controller to control all of them in one click. At any one of the access point, I can configure the whole network.

What is most valuable?

It's a very useful product.

The solution is stable. So far, it has been issue-free.

I have found the scalability to be very good.

What needs improvement?

Cisco offers pretty expensive devices.

I'd like it if Cisco made it possible to integrate its solution with HP.

The initial setup is a bit difficult.

I only installed the solution one month ago. I haven't used it for very long.

The stability of the solution seems to be very good. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product scales well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have 500 users who are on the solution currently.

I've never had to reach out to technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I'm also familiar with Ubiquiti.

The initial installation is a bit hard. It's not quite like, for example, Ubiquiti. If you have a mountain of access points, it will take a while, as it typically takes a technician 15 to 20 minutes per access point.

The installation doesn't require a lot of people. It took only a few guys - one for integration and one for administration.

The solution is pricey. It's an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's been extremely reliable and I've been happy with it.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the solution to smaller offices or organizations as Cisco can be expensive. Something cheaper, such as D-Link, may be better in small environments.

Luiz Kazan
Digital Solutions Arquitect - PaaS at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with great dashboards and good business insights
  • "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "It would be nice to have licensing that stays in place while the system is being renovated or changed."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use. The user interface is very nice.

There are really great dashboards available. Users can see everything they need to on one pane of glass.

Users have the capability of capturing business insights on the solution. For example, we can see who uses the WiFi or monitor movement.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be open to introducing more IoT sensors and to have a more complete solution to medium-sized customers.

The solution could saturate more of the market, as likely 80% of the market would like to see more simple solutions such as Meraki.

It would be ideal if you didn't necessarily have to go to professionals to get a product like this. It should be sold more in the retail space.

It would be great if the solution could integrate with Amazon Alexa. We'd be able to leverage Meraki and build more intelligent homes and businesses. It would help us build new items we could deliver to our clients, and to build better B2C relations.

It would be nice to have licensing that stays in place while the system is being renovated or changed. If there was a way to have remote WiFi to support local connections during issues, so that technical support doesn't have to shut down the entire network, that would be great. If there was something like a robot that could continue running the network while there are licensing or technical issues, so that WiFi never goes down, that would be an ideal situation.

We used to sell other Cisco solutions, however, now we only really focus on Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

The solution from Meraki is more public cloud, however, if we need to we have an internal team that manages alarms, and coordinates action zone disputes to changes devices when it is needed, and have support to our customers.

We have partners that can sell the solution to us, and we in turn offer them to our clients. We're similar to a reseller.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

NETWORK PRODUCT MANAGER at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Average, unremarkable, and basic
  • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "There's nothing that special about it."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product as a wireless solution. We only deal with wireless.

What is most valuable?

The pricing of the solution is excellent. They tend to offer special pricing, which our clients appreciate.

The product is very reliable and offers great performance. Our clients never complain about it. It doesn't cause any problems.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

It's very easy to manage in the control panel. The option to manage and review the connection in the dashboard is very interesting. This is a very easy way to view the signal and it works online.

The product works and offers a good connection for the users.

What needs improvement?

This is just an option that customers can choose from. There's nothing that special about it. As a basic solution it does the job, however, I can't say it's fabulous.

The stability of the product is good. It doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches. It's a reliable solution.

We also work with Aruba and Ruckus. We offer all three to our clients and they tend to choose which one they want to work with, or which has the best price point for them.

The setup and onboarding process is fine. It's pretty straightforward. I wouldn't describe it as overly complex or difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

The pricing is pretty good. Customers don't seem to mind it. It's reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners and resellers.

It's important for us to present to our customer with some options. However, normally, our customers have a specific budget. In this case, we only move with the needs of our customers. In terms of Meraki, Ruckus, Aruba, et cetera, all work fine. We don't have problems. We don't have interference, or need a box reset, or face other kinds of problems.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a four out of ten.

IT Management at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
A trustworthy solution which is easy, secure, has great scalability and stability and an easy installation
  • "The solution is trustworthy. I find it easy and secure."
  • "There should be better Spanish-language technical support."

What is our primary use case?

I do not know which version we are using.

What is most valuable?

I find Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN to be more secure and easy to use. It is easy to control.

With the solution, we have a little mesh and wire LAN, and the performance is awesome.

What needs improvement?

The price can always be better.

There should be better Spanish-language technical support.

I am wholly in agreement that the solution is stable.

I agree wholeheartedly that the solution is scalable.

For the moment, we do not have plans to increase the usage.

There should be better Spanish-language support.

The solution's setup was easy.

The previous deployment took, perhaps, two weeks.

We were assisted by the main controller and several partners.

Our experience with them was positive. We found them to be helpful.

There was an engineer who was responsible for configuring the solution and a technician for connecting the cables in the wall.

I have not seen a return on our investment.

As is always the case, the price could be better, although I do not recall exactly how much this comes out to. I do know that I make tri-annual purchases of the solution. The fee is once every three years.

We did not use another solution prior to Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN. We considered Fortinet as an alternative, but felt Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN offered better wifi and was a superior routing solution.

What other advice do I have?

I am a customer.

There are, perhaps, 25 or 30 people making use of the solution in our organization.

The solution is trustworthy. I find it easy and secure.

I rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN as an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.