Founder, Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Offers very good integration and allows for cloud-based management of your Wi-Fi network
  • "Allows for cloud-based management of your Wi-Fi network."
  • "If you lose connectivity with the controller, your Wi-Fi network is immediately impacted."

What is most valuable?

I've worked on this solution for a couple of clients who already had it deployed. It has many good features and good integration. This is more of a hybrid setup where the switch takes over a lot of responsibility depending upon what you have deployed. It takes a lot of control and allows for cloud-based management of your Wi-Fi network.

What needs improvement?

One of the key problems is that, similar to a solution like Ruckus, if you lose connectivity with the controller, your Wi-Fi network is immediately impacted and users are unable to connect to the network. It's a challenge because then your budget inflates as you have to invest in a high availability kind of solution and have more than one controller. If you are spread across a large area geographically, then you may want to have multiple controllers at different sites so that if one fails you always have a backup to go to and you're not dependent on the links that connect to your offices. It can become costly as a result.

There is nothing much that can change but I believe the hardware could become more economical. The licensing part is okay, and compared to other cloud-managed Wi-Fi's, Meraki is well placed on the pricing, but the hardware costs a bomb. If they could reduce the price of the hardware, the access points, that would be a great benefit for them.

The solution is stable and more secure when you compare it to Ruckus because if you have an MX firewall, you automatically get the firewall features over your Wi-Fi as well. The outcome is that all the data passing through the Wi-Fi definitely passes through the firewall.

Meraki is quite scalable.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN
February 2023
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2023.
672,411 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Thanks to my experience with Wi-Fi, I haven't needed tech support from Meraki. One good point about Meraki and Cisco overall would be the documentation. It's extremely comprehensive so that you don't need to call tech support unless you encounter a specific problem, and you can find most things by doing a Google search.

I believe the initial setup is pretty straightforward although I've never deployed the solution - I've managed it for clients. We currently have three companies that are using this product. From a maintenance perspective, it requires a couple of maintenance staff to keep a tab on the solution, depending upon your work environment.

Licensing is on an annual basis and there is also the hardware inventory. If the firewall goes down, for example, that could cause a problem. The point of failure and the work involved around it makes it a more costly solution.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone looking for a simple management solution in a geographically spread-out network, Meraki is a good bet compared to Ruckus. However, they lose points on the cost as well as on the complexity of its multiple-tiered structure, where you have an MX firewall or a switch, your Wi-Fi access points, and then the cloud. It's too much and could be as easy as having the cloud and access points, but the product has an additional tier integrated, which makes it somewhat complex.

I would place them at eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to configure and manage with a great dashboard; lacking sufficient modules and switching categories
  • "Great architecturally based dashboard and the solution is accessible from anywhere."
  • "When it comes to switching, Meraki lacks categories of features."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and our customers are generally medium to enterprise size organizations. I'm the senior manager and we are partners with Cisco.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is a great feature that is architecturally based and I like the fact that the solution is accessible from anywhere. As an administrator, it is very useful to have access to the dashboard from anywhere through my mobile Meraki app. I can see if there are any issues and can get alerts over my emails. The basic value of the product is the ease of use and ease of access from anywhere. The product is very easy to manage, easy to configure, and easy for our customers to understand. It's the ease of use that sells Meraki. When it's used as a whole stack, Meraki is one of the very good and easy to manage products.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of improvements that could be made, especially from the feature point of view. If you compare the Meraki firewall to UTM, Meraki has close to 90% of all the features that UTM offers but there are some that are lacking and that need to be rectified. For example, UTM has a feature that enables you to block videos inside Facebook or block particular applications inside another application. In Meraki, you can only block the entire app or the entire URL. For example, you can block the category video, but not any applications that are inside apps. When it comes to switching, Meraki lacks categories of features, like the traditional Cisco, Aruba, or Ruckus app, and I think they need to increase the number of modules and categories of switches.

I've been using this solution for almost six years.

The product is stable and I have not seen any issues over the past couple of years.

The solution is scalable, the only problem we had earlier was the Meraki firewall did not support more than two ISC links, but I think the hardware has matured and can now support more than two ISC links. Some years ago now, Meraki used to lose many customers because it didn't support more than two ISC links.

It's very easy to get support from Meraki, because everything is there in the dashboard. You just need to open a case through the dashboard and you get good support.

The pricing is a little higher than other similar architecture products such as Ruckus or Aruba. Meraki has a premium pack added to it so it's costly.

What other advice do I have?

If you're a medium enterprise type of organization, I'd recommend something like Meraki, at least from the wireless point of view, because I think it has a very, very simple and easy-to-use dashboard. As mentioned, it's easy to configure and very easy to manage. Wherever there are very low resources to manage a network, Meraki is the one. If a company isn't managing many people and there aren't too many network administrators, it's a very good solution.

I rate the solution seven out of 10.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN
February 2023
672,411 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technology Systems Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
A straightforward and easily operated system
  • "We're able to automate as well as manually control as necessary."
  • "This solution could benefit from a heat mapping ability so that you can tell where the hotspots are, and where the good signals are."

What is our primary use case?

I work for an elementary school and Meraki's used to cover the entire building with wifi. It's not just a specific location. We're a kindergarten through sixth-grade school — an elementary school.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the product, it's been very good for us. They don't have all of the tools built-in that we would like to have such as heat mapping, but when it comes to managing it, it is straightforward and easily operated. We're able to automate as well as manually control as necessary.

What needs improvement?

This solution could benefit from a heat mapping ability so that you can tell where the hotspots are, and where the good signals are. To have that be available from within the management software would be fantastic.

We've been using this solution for four years.

Stability-wise, it's excellent. However, the software cannot tell us where there are issues. It would be nice if it could point them out to us, but without that event's information, it's more of a challenge. In terms of when we see that it's working, we know that it will be working, period. It's simply reliable.

It's very scalable. We could increase the system we have, but because of its age, we actually need to replace the entire thing at once. So instead of doing it piecemeal and having some of the older products remain while we put in a new product, we would rather replace the whole system.

We have not used Meraki support directly. We haven't had any problems that were so horrible that we needed their assistance.

We're looking at whether to replace Meraki or go with ruckus or Aruba. There are all sorts of options for us. The signal coverage has been quite good with Meraki, but we just simply are in need of a stronger system than what we have now.

I was very surprised. The initial setup was very straightforward.

We had a company (reseller) install this solution because we needed so many access points. Once they put it in place and did the initial configuration, everything was straightforward and easily managed.

I don't recall the licensing cost. There is a hardware cost and separate licensing. We did buy the free lessons, but I can't recall how much it cost.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of caution, I don't have any advice. In terms of a recommendation, it's been a very stable system for us. However, because our needs grew exponentially when we had to go one-to-one for students, this has made things too complicated. That's why we're looking into upgrading and replacing the whole system. Still, Meraki is not off of our list while we're considering new solutions.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.

Advanced IT Executive at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A solid product with good network security and the potential to scale
  • "The network security the solution provides is its most valuable aspect."
  • "The licensing could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The product is used mainly for wireless switching security. I like to call it network security, however, they also have products on that end, such as FC LAN. I don't focus too much on the wireless stuff. I focus on the services and products.

What is most valuable?

The network security the solution provides is its most valuable aspect.

Overall, it's a very solid product. I really like it.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution scales very well.

We've found the product to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

On the performance side, there are always updates to different versions. It's more just getting it out to the client-side that's often the issue.

The licensing could be a bit better.

They should market Meraki as a mid-level solution for SMBs. There are a lot of SMBs out there, and they could use this technology.

I've used the solution for a while, however, it's hard to give a timeframe. I use it as clients use it. They can go on and off of it, or I can be on different accounts.

The stability has been very good. It's very solid. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale very well. There are not problems expanding it if you need to as an organization. It's easy enough to do. Even on an enterprise-level, you can scale.

Technical support is more channeled to the partner side of things. However, Cisco is a great product and has a great team.

I can name a lot of companies that do network security, however, we pull up Cisco Meraki and we read off everything they do.

The initial setup isn't overly complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company shouldn't have trouble implementing it.

I don't deal with pricing directly, however, it's my understanding that it is around $40 per unit. I'm not well versed in MDM pricing, to be honest. It's not something I work with.

I'm more on the managed services, professional services, which includes getting everything set up and dealing with all the problems around it, versus the actual licensing part.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Cisco. Meraki is probably one of the number one solutions. On my team that's all we've talked about or sold. Cisco is 100%, one of our top partners.

Just in terms of network security, there's a lot of digital transformation happening. There will be a lot of moving to the cloud for many customers and you'd be surprised how many enterprises still just aren't prepared for the changes that are coming their way.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a legitimate switch and a legitimate solution. It does what it says and it gets the job done.

Domain Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Reasonably price and easy to set up but not a fit for enterprise-level customers
  • "The product has been very stable over the years."
  • "Meraki is still very much a small office type of solution. It is not a fit for large enterprise networks, as it doesn't have tunneling functionalities."

What is our primary use case?

I haven't deployed it for myself. I have deployed it for customers. I work for a systems integrator.

We use it for Branch-type of installations where you have a small branch. You just need to manage it via the internet. You don't need a controller-type of environment there, for a small office-type of deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a cheaper resource that helps manage a company's WiFi network.

What is most valuable?

The solution's ease of use is great.

The ease of management has been great.

The initial setup is easy.

The product has been very stable over the years.

Technical support is okay.

The pricing is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

If you are configuring Meraki as a RADIUS client, you have to add individual 100 or whatever devices on the site as a RADIUS client. There is no RADIUS proxy option. Therefore, it is pretty much still a good use case for small networks, however, it's not a great use case for larger networks.

The product needs to offer role-based access.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years now. It's been a decade or so. I have quite a bit of experience with it.

The solution is very stable. As long as your internet links are stable, Meraki works perfectly fine. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Meraki is not a very scalable solution. It has its own limitations on the number of devices you can deploy. I would say it's not a very scalable solution.

I've contacted technical support a couple of times. They were okay. I didn't have any issues with them; they are fine.

I've used Cisco EROs, Cisco Meraki, Catalyst 9800, Aruba, and Instant Aruba, controller-based.

The initial setup is not complex or difficult. It's very straightforward.

The pricing is okay. However, they don't have a perpetual license option. Regardless of what type of functionality a customer is looking for, they have to go for subscription-based licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a Cisco partner.

Meraki is a public cloud. With Meraki, you don't have a private cloud solution.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Director at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A cloud-based solution with a GUI and perfect stability, scalability, and support
  • "It is cloud-based. It has a GUI rather than a command line, and it just works."
  • "The biggest pain point is that they limit you through firewall throughput. I understand why they do it, but that really grates me. For instance, for 450 Mbps throughput, you're looking at £800 for a router, whereas if you look at the one gig connection, for some of us are lucky enough to have a gig connection, you could almost be spending £3,000 for the option to have one gig connectivity. That's one of the pain points I've got. I don't mind paying for throughput, but I should at least have the option to be able to update that throughput, maybe through extra licensing or something else. It is crazy expensive to jump through to the next one."

What is our primary use case?

There are so many use cases. You can have multiple SSIDs and different LANs such as
guests, private, or hidden. There are so many options with it.

It is cloud-based, but the physical hardware is on-premises. We are using the Enterprise version.

What is most valuable?

It is cloud-based. It has a GUI rather than a command line, and it just works.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a good couple of years.

It is perfect in terms of stability.

It is perfect in terms of scalability. I've got one system here in the UAE and one in London, and I haven't even touched the one in London, and I can do it all from here.

Their support is perfect. They're there 24/7, 365 days a year. Whether you email or phone in, there is always someone there to help you.

Its initial setup is straightforward.

Its licensing is on a yearly basis. It can be for three, five, or ten years.

I'm happy with the pricing. You basically pay for what you get. It is that simple. When you look at Ubiquiti or Aruba, Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN far outweighs what you get. If you're in the UK, Ubiquiti gives a three-year or five-year warranty, whereas here in the UAE, they only give a one-year warranty, which is no good to me. Who buys a piece of equipment with only one year warranty on it? It doesn't make sense.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but there are limitations with some of these devices. The main issue that I have is related to the throughput. You can get any router that will do a gig connection, but you don't get the other features.

I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN an eight out of ten.

Director with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A flexible product complete with integrated security and content filtering
  • "The captive portal feature is my favorite. It allows us to keep track of how many people are entering our client's businesses."
  • "The signal coverage radius could be extended."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for offices, small retail stores, and restaurants. Most of our clients are medium-sized businesses.

Most of our clients have around 200 employees. There are around 50 access point users.

Only one person is required for maintenance.

What is most valuable?

Also, the security and content filtering that's included on the cloud is great.

What needs improvement?

The signal coverage radius could be extended. I would also like to have a planner for designs.

I have been using Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for roughly eight years.

Stability-wise, it's very good. The problem is the coverage.

Scalability-wise, it's excellent. You can integrate with other products like MX, the firewall and router of Meraki, and you can also integrate with Umbrella which is cloud security from Cisco. You can also add more access points very easily.

Cisco's technical support is excellent. Still, sometimes it takes a while for them to respond. There is also a lot of information on their web page for support.

We used to use Aruba and Cisco Access Point. Cloud management was the main difference between these solutions. We have more flexibility with Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN.

The initial setup is easy but it's important to have training.

Configuration takes around one hour. It's the same for any access point but the installation depends on the physical installation — overall, it takes around three hours.

Meraki is a very good solution, but the price is quite high for small markets. We are based in Mexico and within Latin America, most of our customers think that this is an expensive solution compared to other brands. Overall, we think that the price is too high.

For example, the cheapest license subscription is around $600. It's around $1,200 for one access point. This is really expensive for one customer. Other brands charge the same amount for around five access points.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend this solution because it's easy to use and secure — the security is integrated. Apps can also be integrated very easily and it's very scalable.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN a rating of eight.

Infrastructure Engineer at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Enables you to monitor traffic so you can see if the network is having issues and allows you to easily locate computers in the cloud
  • "If you're trying to identify one of the switches or pinpoint a computer or pinpoint something, you could find it just like that and change the IP address. It's easiest to do it that way."
  • "Documentation could be improved, but everything else has been spot-on."

What is our primary use case?

We sent everybody home because of the new variant. People were trying to be safe, so we decided if you want to connect to our network, use this solution.

The solution is deployed on a private cloud. The cloud provider is Microsoft Azure.

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of having to go the old-fashioned dinosaur way and look for the computers, you could just look in the cloud, find the computer, and change the IP address. That helped so much. I was like, "This is the Mac address. Find it up there, change the IP address from A to B," and then we could continue doing work from there.

What is most valuable?

You can monitor traffic so you can see if the network is having issues or laggy or what people are doing. You can point them out and say, "Stop doing that." If you're trying to identify one of the switches or pinpoint a computer or pinpoint something, you could find it just like that and change the IP address. It's easiest to do it that way.

What needs improvement?

Documentation could be improved, but everything else has been spot-on.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

There have been no issues with stability. The solution is being used every day in my organization.

The solution doesn't require a lot of maintenance. It's easy to do. If you go on the cloud, you can just push the updates from there.

The solution is scalable. There are 200-300 users in our organization. There are plans to increase usage in the future.

Implementation was straightforward. It took a couple of months to set up, implement, and start using.

For initial setup, you have to do the access once and then you have to go to the cloud to make sure they connect.

We used a consultant from Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

It makes life easier. You don't have to go cabling. It saves time. It saves man hours. It's just better. My advice is to use this solution instead of using the old-fashioned one. It will save you headaches.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: February 2023