Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Manuel Briones - PeerSpot reviewer
Voice and data infrastructure specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Great VPN connection that helps extend infrastructure and is perfect for remote worker access
  • "Scalability is great. We have been able to grow as a corporation due in part to this type of solution."
  • "Without a doubt and with the new trends in technology, Check Point should already have a blade with a 2MFA solution and not through some other vendor."

What is our primary use case?

Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, this solution has helped us a lot. We had to move around 6000 people so that they could work from home. It was a challenge for us, however, it was something we managed to do successfully in collaboration with other areas by providing them with a certificate created by Check Point with a .p12 extension and with the peer configuration in their VPN client.

Now, we are integrating this solution with a 2MFA solution in order to provide better security for authentication of people as day by day the threats and new viruses are always a risk. Sometimes, people do not have that instinct of having to secure their workstations, therefore, we do it for them through the VPN connection.

How has it helped my organization?

Connection through VPN has helped us with the connection to corporate. This type of connection has been very useful to us since, as infrastructure personnel, we can establish a connection to our corporate to make a connection either RDP or directly to services in order to be able to carry out any work activity or review any report by the operational part in order to speed up response times. We can connect to our network equipment by SSH, RDP, or via the web, however, only when we have this type of secure connection.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that has helped us the most with our solutions has been the P2P connection through an IPsec VPN. It has allowed us to extend our infrastructure and grow with new clients. Previously, we had around 15 corporate clients. Through the COVID-19 pandemic, we have managed to grow and now have around 35 new corporate clients and more than 6 people connected by VPN. This has forced us to increase our infrastructure to be able to support all these connections and to have a stable, reliable, and, above all, scalable solution that can interconnect more clients.

What needs improvement?

We have not migrated to the R81 version and I do not doubt that it will have some improvements compared to the version we use today.

Without a doubt and with the new trends in technology, Check Point should already have a blade with a 2MFA solution and not through some other vendor. This type of integration would undoubtedly give it a better reach and greater market with new security trends top of mind.

I know that everything is moving to a cloud environment, however, for all those corporates that still do not trust such an environment, it would be favorable to offer a 2MFA service in a solution tested through a blade or in the cloud.

Check Point Remote Access VPN
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Check Point Remote Access VPN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for more than five years.

The remote workers were experiencing issues like disconections, no IP avaliables from the DHCP, or unable to connect because the server didnt responde to a ping, however this issue was fix after we instlalled the JHF 125 on each gateway and after the upgrade, everythig has been working OK, but before that Check Point didn´t have a fix for that manner.

Scalability is great. We have been able to grow as a corporation due in part to this type of solution.

They have been with us when we needed help. We don't have any complaints about their level of service.

Positive

We did use a different solution and we switched due to the fact that Check Point is more secure and has more features for the type of connections we need.

It was a straightforward setup.

The product was integrated with in-house personnel.

We've seen about a 40% ROI.

Check Point is an expensive solution, however, it has more features and is more secure than other options.

Ae evaluated AnyConnect and Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

We would like them to add a 2MFA feature in the future. This is our direct request.

Anuj V. - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at ANALYTICS EDGE
Secure remote access integration and hotspot access with a multi-level authentication support system
  • "The secure hotspot access for enabling good network connectivity is great."
  • "Price category and smooth renewal of agreement should be considered for flawless and quick onboarding of clients and partners."

What is our primary use case?

Check Point Remote Access VPN is a highly secure and seamless software that provides end-to-end security solutions to business users while they are working remotely and traveling for business purposes. Our organization involves over 70% of business travel to generate revenue, and it becomes really troublesome to secure the IT devices and cloud system at such traveling times.

Check Point Remote Access VPN is the best available solution in the market for providing endpoint management solutions by ensuring adherence to strict compliance and multiple scanning of the data to ensure no data theft or leakage and security and compliance are maintained at the highest level possible.

How has it helped my organization?

Check Point Remote Access VPN provides multiple factor authentication layers, and due to that, all the data transmission is completely scanned for any malware or malicious cyber threats. It is integrated with our various IT and cloud systems and performs its security scanning 24/7 without any glitches or trouble.

Also, they provided a multi-level authentication support system for continuous scanning and compliance management throughout the IT system.

They enable a secure hotspot registration process for enabling all-around support of IT systems while operating remotely without any hassle.

What is most valuable?

The secure hotspot access for enabling good network connectivity is great.

Multi-layer scanning of IT systems across various critical stages for detection of threats and malicious threats has been useful.

Provisioning VPN Client and Auto Connect management system for free flow of information without any data mismanagement.

The secure remote access integration is available for both android and IOS devices and systems is helpful.

The multi-factor authentication support system is a phenomenal feature for providing all-around authentication support to for secure IT enablement.

What needs improvement?

We are still in the learning phase as of now, and there seem to be more and more feature upgrades in the standard version of the application. They're providing updated features in the application with complete compliance assurance - which is really awesome - and we need specific customizations to make it a perfect fit for our business environment. This is a new and emerging area and requires a lot of customization and flexible features to suit the business requirements.

Price category and smooth renewal of agreement should be considered for flawless and quick onboarding of clients and partners.

I've used the solution for over six months now.

The solution is quite stable.

It is an absolutely scalable solution.

Technical support has been so far so good.

Positive

We did not use a different solution earlier.

The setup is effortless and smooth.

We installed the solution through the vendor ONLY.

We've seen an ROI of over 75%.

I recommend all businesses to go for Check Point Remote Access VPN. It's one of the best of its kind in the market today.

It has enormous features for ensuring security management solutions for remote workforce coupled with compliance assurance in the businesses.

It's one of the highly cost-effective solutions which leads to boosting business performance, and also renewal is smooth without any hassle. The licensing is not pricy and is affordable by organizations.

The business and IT team did a lot of brainstorming sessions on this, and it went of really well in evaluating various available products in the market with their offerings.

We evaluated McAfee, Nord, and others

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise others to try the solution today itself and experience the utilities on their own. I am sure, they will love the product offerings and utilities to the greatest extent possible

Private Cloud
Check Point Remote Access VPN
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oleg Pekar - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network/Security Engineer at Skywind Group
Easy to install, centrally managed, and stable
  • "It is easy to install the Endpoint Remote Access VPN client to different platforms."
  • "The Compliance software blade is available only for the Windows operating systems family, so no macOS security checks are implemented and performed."

What is our primary use case?

Our company works in the area of developing and delivering online gambling platforms. The Check Point Next-Generation Firewalls are the core security solution we use for the protection of our DataCenter environment, located in Asia (Taiwan).

In addition, there are about 30 Google Cloud projects of different sizes ranging from 10 to 250 virtual machines, and they are used for development, staging, production, etc. For every project, there is one dedicated scalable instance group of the Check Point CloudGuard IaaS gateways.

We user the Check Point Remote Access VPN to provide access for our employees to connect to the specified environments.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN client to allow our remote employees to connect to our company's offices in a secure and reliable way.

We use the clients for Windows and macOS, with the current software version E82.30. The Endpoint Remote Access VPN clients are fully compatible with the Check Point NGFWs Mobile Access VPN blade, and there are no problems connecting to it.

The clients have additional functions, like Firewall and Compliance blades, which we consider as a strong benefit for using the pure clients.

Several remote sites are supported in the client configuration, which allows us to have the redundancy for the case when one of the Offices becomes unavailable due to ISP problems.

What is most valuable?

1. It is easy to install the Endpoint Remote Access VPN client to different platforms. Within the company, we use it for Windows and macOS.
  2. Built-in, centrally-managed Firewall blade, which allows filtering traffic on the client-side.
  3. Built-in, centrally-managed Compliance blade. We check the client OS on the presence of the latest security updates and that the corporate antivirus software is up and running, and do not allow the client to connect to the office site in the case where these rules are not satisfied. That prevents the infected computers from connecting to the company's location and spreading the threats.
  4. Stable VPN connection.

What needs improvement?

1. The Compliance software blade is available only for the Windows operating systems family, so no macOS security checks are implemented and performed. This is valid for at least software version E82.30, which we currently use.
  2. In addition, there is no full client of the Check Point Remote Access VPN available for the Linux operating systems families. That is important since some of our administrators prefer to use this OS even on their home PCs. We hope that Check Point would develop a client for Linux in the future.

I have been using the Check Point Remote Access VPN for about two years.

The Check Point Remote Access VPN clients are stable on both Windows and macOS.

The Gateway side part of the software scales well.

We have had several support cases opened, but none of them were connected with the Check Point Remote Access VPN. Some of the issues were resolved by installing the latest recommended JumoHotfix, whereas some required additional configuration at the OS kernel level.

Prior to this product, we didn't use any centralized VPN software before.

The setup was straightforward and simple.

Our deployment was completed by our in-house team. We have a Check Point Certified engineer working in the engineering team.

We did not evaluate other options because we already use the products from the CheckPoint ecosystem.

What other advice do I have?

The Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN for MacOs and Windows are reliable solutions for remote access VPN, and fully compatible with the Check Point security ecosystem.

Support at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Simple to implement with good granularity and monitoring
  • "Thanks to all these security processes, our users can access our infrastructure with the certainty that we will not be compromised."
  • "The VPN remote Access blade could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

After implementing our GW and management security appliance in our public cloud infrastructure, we needed to establish P2S VPNs so that some users could connect to our offices safely to be able to access information and internal applications from anywhere.

This need begins when the sales department requires access to internal resources to be able to show solutions that we sell to clients. However, these connections were mostly from public places without security, which was clearly a huge vulnerability of the company.

Thanks to this tool, we managed to solve this need.

How has it helped my organization?

Check Point Remote Access VPN has given us the ability to provide access from a client to our network. It offers a simple and integrated installation with security measures such as MFA in addition to being able to enter our infrastructure in a controlled and secure manner. The solution not only provides access. It also generates monitoring and event logs and maintains connections correctly,

It is also essential to know that the users who can use the solution are under granular policies from the security application. Policies that can be applied to different user profiles guarantee correct and effective access for the different departments of the company.

What is most valuable?

Its implementation is very simple through the VPN blade in our Check Point gateway which is located and implemented within our public cloud architecture.

Its different monitoring and records generate the required tools to be able to provide good control of everything that happens during the connection time of the users.

Also, the policies can be generated as granularly as desired, and the portal is extremely intuitive. All this is a great help for administrators to manage VPNs.

What needs improvement?

The VPN remote Access blade could be improved. Licensing is extremely expensive per user and more so for large companies where the number of users directly impacts the cost.

The documentation for good practices and specific configurations is somewhat old, generally for versions before R80, which is why it is sometimes more challenging to understand them or be able to implement them,

Also, at the support level, response times can be improved, as the technical level for this type of tool is very good.

This is a very good tool and we have used it for a long time from our Check Point gateway. It's security management is providing the perfect and secure solution to connect from any location.

This solution is scalable in cluster and VSS architectures.

Previously we have used FortiClient to solve VPN problems. At some point, we also used the Azure P2S VPN. However, it does not provide security.

It is very necessary for a company to have the support of a partner so that they can provide you with cost estimates, documentation, and access to tests that are not publicly available.

We always seek to validate the documentation of each security tool seeking the most significant benefit for our interests and each of the company's needs.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good tool for VPN security. It is somewhat expensive, but they should evaluate it so they can have a more personal concept.

Hybrid Cloud

Especialista Certificado en Administración de Servicios de Tecnología de la Información at AZZAIT
User
A flexible gateway with good security and helpful technical support
  • "We have more control over the activity that users have on the internal network, thanks to the monitoring offered by Check Point and the security provided by the gateway."
  • "In the case of URL translation of the VPN Web portal, the requests made from the front end to the back end weren't valid (due to the use of dynamic subdomains). In the case of host translations, the request was made to the same host, however, we cannot specify the ports, which, in our case, are used to redirect to different servers."

What is our primary use case?

Since SARS-COV2, most users went to work from their home office, so we needed to have an robust, secure, and stable VPN connection. We implemented Check Point VPN and we have had no problems with it. We are almost 50 users working from home securely. Also, the access rules based on VLANs have helped many users get access depending on which connection they have. For example, some users with VPN connections can only access some specific servers and ports, however, when they are on an internal LAN, they have access to the entire network.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm the IT manager for the company, and my work has been improved due to the fact that, in conjunction with VPN, we implemented the Endpoint Security client so we can manage our client's computers even if they are not physically in the office. When we need to remove some users from a VPN connection we just need to lock the account and use the assets console to disable the feature from the client's computer.

What is most valuable?

The combination of the user accounts for the VPN with the access rules provided by the security gateway gives you more control and specificity about who has access to what. For external users, we can offer a solution based on the internet needs and we are able to share information on a secure channel. We can specifically point to the desired resources in the organization without the need to install any additional software on external client machines.

What needs improvement?

It needs to improve the capability of the Secure browser VPN connections. Some in-house applications didn't work due to the use of JScript and the backend and front end technology for the applications. In the case of URL translation of the VPN Web portal, the requests made from the front end to the back end weren't valid (due to the use of dynamic subdomains). In the case of host translations, the request was made to the same host, however, we cannot specify the ports, which, in our case, are used to redirect to different servers.

I've used the solution for over two years.

It's very stable, however, I recommend some scheduled restarts for cleaning connections and processes.

It is very easy to manage the solution and also the integration.

I have had a good experience with the support tickets that I have dealt with.

Positive

Previous to Check Point, we didn't have any gateway security.

The initial setup was a little complex as it was the first time working with Check Point.

The implementation was handled by an in-house team.

We expect that investments is recovered in two years.

The pricing is fair and the support team is good.

We were evaluating Fortinet as well.

What other advice do I have?

Check Point is very reliable and secure.

Network Engineer at Fujairah Port
User
Excellent support with great multi-factor authentication and compliance checks
  • "It offers a simple configuration and setup."
  • "It's difficult to configure on Linux workstations as Check Point Remote VPN clients support only Windows and Mac devices."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for work from home. Our main goal is to provide users with the ability to access their workstation from anywhere in the world.

We provided remote access to more than 500 users during the pandemic. Check Point Remote Access VPN has worked smoothly as our appliance is capable of supporting 1000+ users.

We deployed a VPN client-based solution with multi-factor authentication. The compliance check feature is useful.

It is compatible with several operating systems, and it has great protection against malware.

It offers a simple configuration and setup.

How has it helped my organization?

We developed work-from-home policies for our organization during the pandemic due to the rise in COVID cases. As network security engineers, it's challenging for us to manage users' personal laptops and computers which are not up to date (OS, Antivirus ..etc). However, when it comes to the Check Point VPN solution, we overcame all the challenges and successfully implemented our infrastructure. Logs are helping us to monitor each user's activity. We can also isolate user laptops or PCs from the internet when its gets connected to our network.

What is most valuable?

The remote access blade is built in on the firewall, so it is easy to activate through the Smart Console.

Only the VPN client supports only the Windows and Apple Mac operating systems, which also support iOS and Android mobile platforms. The Check Point development team deserves praise for a flawless experience.

Multi-factor authentication and compliance checks help us to ensure maximum security.

VPN logs give us complete visibility and track unusual activities.

The VPN client user interface is simple and perfect.

The VPN client software is lightweight.

What needs improvement?

The configuration of a VPN requires a distinct VPN Tab. Once the VPN blade has been activated, after activating VPN blade, we need to make some configurations in the gateway option settings and others in the VPN communities section. It would be preferable if these two things came together in one place.

Apart from this, it operates flawlessly. To improve our IT Services, we poll our users. The majority of people say how excellent the remote access VPN service is. Additionally, they stated that once connected to a VPN service, they never experience connectivity problems.

I've used the solution for more than two years.

The product offers excellent customer service and support.

Positive

We used a different solution that did not satisfy us in terms of security. As a result, we decided to deploy Check Point for enhanced security.

Before migrating to the Check Point firewall, we conducted market research and solicited feedback from my contacts who are already Check Point NGFW customers. We decided to use Check Point.

The VPN Setup and initial configuration are tricky and not straightforward. For example, you need to:

1. Do some configuration in the gateway option, then:

2. VPN Communities

It would be preferable if step 1 and step 2 were available in one place.

3- Lastly, you must apply the firewall policy

We implemented this solution ourselves.

We now have a reliable VPN solution to offer our staff, which is a significant return on investment.

Manuel Briones - PeerSpot reviewer
User
Creates a dynamic network with great mobility and excellent stability
  • "The IPSec VPN, Mobile Access, and Identity Awareness are three of the blades with which we have been working with since the pandemic. This has given us great mobility, making our network more dynamic."
  • "The authentication that we handle is through a .p12 certificate, however, we have integrated it with a 2MFA service through another provider. Something that could improve Check Point is if it had its own 2MFA service through a blade or some sort of application."

What is our primary use case?

We have always worked within the office. However, the COVID pandemic changed the course of our work in terms of where we had to implement new solutions so that we could all work from home. That was when I encountered Check Point; we had years with this solution in the facilities, yet, only during the pandemic did we have to innovate for a home environment. Today we have more than 6000 users working from home thanks to Check Point. This is possible due to the fact that, with a certificate and the client for this connection, every person can connect to our environment as if they were at the office.

How has it helped my organization?

We still have many areas of opportunity in which we must work, however, this has required us to improve our infrastructure in order to accommodate remote work. Since the beginning of the pandemic, we have had this solution and we have had many challenges since there are more than 6000 people who work from home. For security, we have an expiration time of the .p12 certificates and that requires updating passwords. Today, we are integrating this solution with a 2MFA system to give much more security to corporate.

What is most valuable?

The IPSec VPN, Mobile Access, and Identity Awareness are three of the blades with which we have been working with since the pandemic. This has given us great mobility, making our network more dynamic for connection to corporate due to the integration we have of Check Point via our AC or LDAP.

We are creating rules by user and not by IP (which could be done both ways). We stick more to mobility inside and outside the corporate environment. Since then, corporate has been increasing security and keeping our workers happier.

What needs improvement?

The authentication that we handle is through a .p12 certificate, however, we have integrated it with a 2MFA service through another provider. Something that could improve Check Point is if it had its own 2MFA service through a blade or some sort of application. We'd be able to give a better experience to companies that already have a contract or Check Point services that deal with a work-from-home environment, giving greater scope and coverage from a single centralized dashboard.

I've used the solution for more than two years

The stability is the best.

The scalability is great.

We have witnessed a fast response from the support team.

Positive

We did not use a different solution.

The initial setup was not overly complex.

We handled the installation in-house.

We've witnessed a 40% ROI.

The price is a little high, however, the solution is something that we recommend often.

We did evaluate other options.

PRAPHULLA  DESHPANDE - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Consult at Atos
Highly stable, very stable, and offers good technical support
  • "To maintain the authorization of the connected user, Check Point provides multi-factor authentication for an RA VPN client to make sure legitimate users have access to resources."
  • "Some configurations, like idle timeout (the requirement came from multiple users), are not possible to configure directly from the Check Point management server."

What is our primary use case?

Remote Access VPN is one of those essential items for every organization in order to maintain seamless and highly secured connectivity between the end-user and the organization's local area network to access resources - including Jump server Databases, et cetera.

No matter from which device or from which location users are accessing an organization's local resources, with the help of the Check Point VPN client they can make sure they have connected securely.

Check Point offers a best-in-class encryption algorithm to ensure confidentiality and maintain integrity between the end-user and the Gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

In disaster situations like Covid-19, most users were working from home or in remote locations. In such cases, Check Point Remote Access VPN provides feasibility to everyone to work from home and access an organization's resources remotely.

With a client-less configuration known as SSL VPN users can directly access resources via a browser-like database, share folders, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

• Secure connectivity: Guaranteed authentication, confidentiality, and data integrity for every connection and user.
  • Straightforward Configuration: Easy to enable blades and define policies.
  • Authentication: SAML authentication makes sure the user is legitimate.
  • Compliance check: It scans the endpoint machine to detect suspicious/malicious content before connecting to an office network.
  • MEP: Multi entry points to make sure there's availability to the LAN network even if the primary gateway goes down.
  • A single client can work as sandblast agent.

What needs improvement?

Check Point RA VPN requires companies to take separate licenses initially so that only 5 connected users licenses are given as subscriptions. Most other competitors, like Palo Alto, provide 1000 connected user licenses for free.

Some configurations, like idle timeout (the requirement came from multiple users), are not possible to configure directly from the Check Point management server. We have to make changes in the local directory of the respective devices.

I've used the solution for more than three years.

The solution is highly stable.

Check Point has an Unlimited License Package for the RA VPN and therefore we can scale it easily.

Customer service has a dedicated team that handles RA VPN cases which ultimately leads to an early resolution.

Migration has taken place such as from Cisco to Check Point and Sophos to Check Point. During that phase, the customer needed to change the VPN client as well.

Browser-based functionality is one of the best things that Check Point provides.

The initial setup is straightforward during the initial configuration.

The setup is very straightforward but subscription-based. It isn't cost-effective.

We did look at Cisco Anyconnect and Palo Alto Global Protect.

Download our free Check Point Remote Access VPN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022