IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Network Infrastructure Engineer at KAIZNE
MSP
Easily manages of all your wireless devices
  • "I have not experienced any bugs, software, or hardware issues with Aruba."
  • "Most of the access points don't include the chargers."

What is our primary use case?

I have worked with versions 2.207 and 3.303 and 305. Because I am the service provider for my customers, I've worked with Ruckus, Aruba, Cisco, and UniFi. Most of my customers ask for new wireless solutions. Last week I installed 37 access points. My customers are very satisfied.

What is most valuable?

Configuring the main controller is very easy; with Aruba, it's just plug-and-play. The roaming features are great too.

What needs improvement?

Most of the access points don't include the chargers. If you want to increase your coverage, then you need to have a charger. When our customers ask about access points, we always recommend Aruba; however, when we tell them that they need to buy the chargers separately, they become upset, saying: "We already bought Aruba access points, the chargers should come with it". This is my main concern. In the last five years, I've installed nearly 300 Aruba access points and most of my customers have complained about the chargers. If this problem was addressed, I wouldn't have any other complaints.

I have been using this solution for five years.
Aruba Wireless
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Aruba Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have not experienced any bugs, software, or hardware issues with Aruba.

This solution is both very stable and scalable. I want to mention something about Aruba's compatibility between various model types. If you already have version 207 installed and you want to switch to version 3.3, it's not compatible; you can't add it to your network. You need to create a standalone network for this access point only.

I only spoke with Aruba's technical support one time. With Aruba, you don't need a lot of support. It is very easy to use.

The initial setup is very easy. You just need to configure the main device. If you have a standalone or virtual appliance, you can just configure it and install the rest without connecting to the main device. Deployment time varies, but usually, it's very fast. Most of our customers need 10 access points on-site. For me, this only takes roughly 15 minutes to install.I used to use Ruckus. Ruckus takes a long time to configure. Cisco takes longer too. Aruba is the easiest to install. Just configure the main device, and install the rest. Nothing else is required. I'd like to mention something else. Last week, I installed roughly 37 access points — Aruba 303 I believe. Our clients complained about the coverage. Their access points should be able to cover 50 meters, but Aruba was only covering 25 to 30 meters, max. I know Aruba, and like anything, there are advantages and disadvantages. I like Aruba for its easy installation, management and because they provide the best and most optimized connection.

What other advice do I have?

The most important thing is the heat map; you need to have a good heat map and make sure it's configured correctly with Aruba. If you don't have a heat map, you may have issues. Here in Jordan, some providers will go to a company that requires 10 access points and tell them they only need five. In reality, they just want the job and the client. Then, after everything is said and done, the client complains about the five access points not covering the whole area. Some preparation is required before you can get started with Aruba. The total amount of power needed for the access points needs to be calculated. I would recommend doing this yourself as some companies just want to sell their products. Companies in Jordan were quite loyal to Cisco, but in the last five months, I have installed roughly 500 Aruba Switches. Version 1920 is very popular; it's very fast and great for network stability. Cisco and Aruba offer the same features. My customers don't need advanced features. What's the point in spending an extra $300-400 dollars for features you won't even use? On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. If they increased their coverage, I would give them a rating of 15, not simply ten.

Network Engineer at a university with 201-500 employees
Good documentation, great licensing, and is very easy to work with
  • "We like the centralized configuration and monitoring."
  • "I would like to see a faster web interface in the controller and more troubleshooting tools, including real-time troubleshooting tools."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the wireless services for the entire campus.

What is most valuable?

The wireless service is pretty much standard.

We like the centralized configuration and monitoring.

We like the performance of the access points as they're not easily interfered with by other wireless devices.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's really easy.

The documentation is great.

The pricing and licensing structure are great.

It's very easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

The stability is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

A lot of people use the solution. We have about 120 access points and more than 1,500 clients who use it daily.

In terms of scalability, it is very easy to expand the network. We build new schools and buildings all the time so the usage is always increasing.

We haven't used technical support yet; I really am not qualified to answer to how helpful or responsive they are.

That said, the forums are quite helpful if you need assistance or to gain insights into usage.

We previously used HP Access Point and LANCOM Access Points. The HP series was discontinued and the LANCOM is very outdated. Therefore, we switched over to Aruba.

The initial setup is straightforward and not overly complex. A company shouldn't have any trouble handling the process.

We had it up and running in a day or two. The deployment is fast.

We have installed and configured it by ourselves. We did not need the assistance of consultants or integrators. That said, we had the access points, however, we needed some education, some training. The company who sold us the access point really spent two or three days training us and then we configured it ourselves.

We had a very good experience with them. We were satisfied with their level of expertise.

The license is not that expensive. The access point comes with a perpetual license. That's a very big deal in this kind of market. For example, Cisco charges annual licenses in comparison. Aruba Access Points come with perpetual licenses. It could be one license and you have it forever. There is no need to renew or buy something extra.

The pricing is very attractive. I'd rate it at a five out of five.

You buy the controller. You buy the access points and the licenses and that's it. If you want to have technical support on the controller, you have to buy subscriptions. However, the licenses and the warranty of the access points are free and forever. There's an unlimited lifetime guarantee.

What other advice do I have?

We are a university, so we have the whole community using this product.

We are using Access Point 305 with the Aruba controller 7210.

It's a very good solution. We have our problems, however, all wireless products have their problems. We haven't used state-of-the-art wireless solutions like Cisco or Huawei, so we're not able to compare everything together. That said, we are very happy with what we have.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Aruba Wireless
June 2022
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Corporate Senior IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Improved our Wi-Fi signal in office and allows us to monitor access points remotely
  • "Aruba Central is a valuable feature because I can monitor access points remotely, even if I'm not in the office."
  • "We would like to declare a specific number of devices that an employee or a user can use to access their Wi-Fi."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for wireless infrastructure. We completed the upgrade of our Wi-Fi this year.

It's a hybrid solution. Our controller is in the cloud, and there are devices installed in the offices. Our provider is a local telco.

Between 400 and 500 people are using this solution in our environment.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of customer experience, the Wi-Fi signal in the office is a lot better right now compared to in the past.

What is most valuable?

Aruba Central is a valuable feature because I can monitor access points remotely, even if I'm not in the office.

What needs improvement?

We would like to declare a specific number of devices that an employee or a user can use to access their Wi-Fi. Right now, it's a free for all.

The other features that I would like to explore are alerting and auto reporting of users accessing the internet. I want proactive alerts on the usage of these applications because I have to go to Aruba Central every time to see what's going on.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It's a matter of experiencing the benefit of the solution in our environment.

Since we have a lot of branches, the scalability is open. For now, the scope is really in the head office and I think the promise is that we can scale. We can incorporate this to our branches across the Philippines.

Part of our agreement is that we would receive technical support. I would rate them 4 out of 5.

Initial setup was complex. The vendors have to perform due diligence and heat mapping in the height of the pandemic. The project started last year in September and it was completed last February. Deployment took less than a year.

We had a software and hardware implementation plan.

Aruba provided an implementation partner who helped us on the project. Fewer than 10 people were needed for deployment.

The return on investment is subjective because we're trying to improve the host experience. IT is not host centered in the company; we are just providing solutions. This is an initiative and the benefits aren't convertible into an amount of money. It's really an investment, and I think the promise is to improve the hosting experience, speed up the internet browsing, etc.

The price is low. There is an additional cost for maintenance. We had a local partner, so we signed a five year deal to support our Wi-Fi infrastructure, including the hardwares.

We evaluated Cisco Meraki and Ubiquiti. The price of Cisco is very high compared to Aruba and Ubiquiti.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

For someone who is looking into implementing this product, they need to understand what the objective is of that project. It could be coming from the IT modernization strategy. You have to evaluate different vendors offering different solutions. Then perform that pitch to the management and the usual project management. If there is a winning vendor, of course implementation comes in. Make sure that the target date will be completed as planned in the project plan.

Hybrid Cloud
Manager - Network Solutions at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Scalable enterprise wireless LAN solution with good visibility; technical support is also good
  • "Enterprise wireless LAN solution with good visibility and amazing scalability. Aruba Wireless also offers good technical support."
  • "Making the setup more simple is an area for improvement in Aruba Wireless. Security-wise, this solution also needs work."

What is most valuable?

I found a lot of things, a lot of functions to be most valuable in Aruba Wireless. It depends on the category of the features you are looking for. From a security perspective, a performance perspective, a quality perspective, and a user experience perspective, there are a lot, so I can't mention a specific feature.

The best feature for me would be the visibility of this solution.

This solution can also cover thousands of access points, and that's another thing I like.

What needs improvement?

What I'd like improved in Aruba Wireless is for it to be a full cloud solution.

Making the setup more simple is another area for improvement for Aruba Wireless. There's a big solution for this, but it's not a huge enterprise solution, but Aruba Wireless has thousands of access points, so it's okay.

Security still needs some work with Aruba Wireless, because you don't know which users are accessing, what each user is trying to do, what the applications are and the intentions behind the applications, so there are a lot of complexities behind the scene.

The wireless access points from Aruba Wireless are not just access points, e.g. they form a platform that contains a lot of features such as cloud features, security features, even IoT, so I recommend to have these in all the product range, including small business solutions, so this is what I'd like to see in the next release.

I've been working with Aruba Wireless for more than six years.

Aruba Wireless has great stability within uptime and service time, but from a security perspective, it's not stable, because it's exposed to the users. A lot of CDEs and security issues appear every day. From a security perspective, there are a lot of challenges for everyone, but within uptime, the stability of this solution is perfect.

I have no doubts about the scalability of Aruba Wireless. Its scalability is amazing.

Technical support for this solution is good. If I were to rate technical support, with five being the highest, I'm giving it a four out of five.

The initial setup for Aruba Wireless is not easy. It's not straightforward. The setup for the solution is quite complicated, but this is not unusual, because it is an enterprise solution, and it is no different from the competition, in terms of the complexity of the setup.

If I would rate the setup of Aruba Wireless between one to five, with five being the highest, I'm rating the setup a two.

I've worked with Cisco and Mojo solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a technical engineer, and I'm leading the networking team in one of our system integrations today. I'm an integrator. One of the solutions that we are providing is wireless, e.g. Cisco, Aruba Wireless, and Mojo from Arista.

My advice to an organization looking to implement Aruba Wireless is to take it, because I've seen a lot of vendors and I've dealt with customers, so everyday I assume there would be different challenges with my customers. With Aruba Wireless, there are no doubts about its quality and uptime.

I'm rating Aruba Wireless an eight out of ten.

Infrastructure Manager at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It works as a solution but needs to be more competitive with emerging products
  • "There is no problem with downtime."
  • "Aruba needs to be more competitive with newer products. Their legacy makes that more difficult for them."

What is our primary use case?

Aruba was our primary wireless solution until very recently.

What is most valuable?

In the end, when you bring on a wireless solution, you only need a wireless solution. That is the intrinsic value. We had both Aruba ClearPass and Aruba AirWaves. We had all the management features also available from Aruba. These worked well together as a class of products.

What needs improvement?

When I compare Aruba with Juniper Mist, Juniper is the more an AI-driven management solution. It is more of a modern solution, I think. Aruba needs to be more competitive with Juniper.

We have been using Aruba Wireless for four or five years now.

I think Aruba is stable because it was working okay. There was no problem with downtime. The issue for us with functionality was because we have much more reflection in our building due to the height of our ceilings.

We bought the product through a reseller. For support, we needed to go through that reseller instead of Aruba self. It is hard to judge the capabilities of Aruba support directly.

We had Aruba and we just replaced it with Juniper Mist a few weeks ago (September 2020). The AI-driven management solutions from Juniper Mist suits our business more than the Aruba solution we used before. I think Aruba did the work we needed before, but better management is the reason why we moved over to Juniper Mist.

Before Aruba, we worked with HP Colubris. We stopped using the HP Colubris solution because HP no longer provided it. That is what happened.

Aruba is comparable to competing solutions when it comes to price. I am going to say that the support pricing for Juniper Mist is higher than Aruba. I think that is because Juniper is more of a cloud model than Aruba.

You do also have a cloud solution from Aruba called Aruba Central, but I have not compared prices for that.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give to someone considering Aruba as a wireless solution would be to look into the Aruba Central cloud solution that they are offering right now. I think we are at a time of brand control that needs to be managed and needs to be supported. I think that working with a cloud-based solution is a better option than on-premises solutions.

I think what is more important than a particular tool is that you also have the depth of wireless knowledge to really be able to competently manage such environments.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as a seven-out-of-ten. To improve on that score they would have to make Aruba more available to cloud management. They just recently started with Aruba Central and they are not as far along as Juniper Mist is with having a mature cloud solution.

The problem for Aruba is that Juniper Mist is a new product without a longer legacy. They can start from ground zero. Aruba needs to support the older controller-based models and that may slow them down when it comes to development.

Shrijendra Shakya - PeerSpot reviewer
C.T.O at Sastra Network Solution Inc. Pvt. Ltd.
Enhances network visibility, easy to implement and manage, good reporting
  • "The Airwave is the best feature for a single management point for all APs in the environment."
  • "The Help option within the GUI needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This solution has been deployed for an enterprise environment with 105 Apps and controllers in HA for a government entity handling the user capacity of 1500 people.

Multiple SSIDs have been broadcasted with independent VLANs and user policy has been implemented.

The controllers are in HA. Both indoor and outdoor APs have been used in the environment.

The solution has been differentiated for Guests, Employees, and an unrestricted group. The APs have been deployed across 10 multistory buildings in high interference zones.

How has it helped my organization?

Aruba Wireless has succeeded in facilitating the implementation of a centralized wireless network to the client, covering multiple buildings expanding across the area of 58000 square meters.

There are no blind spots and users enjoy uninterrupted Wi-Fi. This has given the users complete mobility and the Quality of Service with the necessary security imposed.

It has met the customer expectations and is ready to scale for growing business demand. It has offered visibility into the network and enhanced the troubleshooting experience.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to implement and manage through a web GUI.

The adding of APs simply involves configuring a network port on the appropriate VLAN and plugging in the AP. The controller pushes the config out to the new AP.

The Airwave is the best feature for a single management point for all APs in the environment.

It offers many reporting features as well as visual RF maps displaying heatmaps of the AP signals and client positioning.

The addition of the APs on the existing swarm is plug and play to the desired VLAN.

What needs improvement?

The Help option within the GUI needs to be improved. It would be perfect to have it more descriptive about the functions and features it has.

The online documentation resources could be made more readily available for troubleshooting than to be engaged with the support through email and calls.

During the shipments, the firmware versions on the shipped outdoor APs, indoor APs, and controllers could be matched so that adaptation for the APs is easy.

They should add more features available on Aruba Airwave to the GUI.

We have been suing Aruba Wireless for two years.

Stability is guaranteed.

This is a very scalable product.

Technical support is excellent. They are more willing to help and be there for the customer.

We did not switch products. Rather, our choice is based on customer requirements. It's the best-recommended product listed by Gartner on this segment.

The initial setup is absolutely straightforward.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment.

The access points are more cost-effective over some other providers, both in cost per AP and the option of a controller-less environment.

It's comparatively priced; it's a bit expensive compared to competitors but worth the investment because of the performance, stability, and ease of deployment.

We had been working with vendors like Cisco and Ruckus.

Private Cloud
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partner and SI.
Ahmed Hawary - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Product Manager/ Senior Presales engineer at Nahil Computers
Reliable with excellent signal strength and lots of great features
  • "The stability is the best. It's very reliable."
  • "Sometimes the configuration is difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We using now working with a customer in Jedda. We sold more than 738 access points - 294 outdoor access points and around 500 indoor ones. We sold a controller for this number as well.

What is most valuable?

Aruba has a lot of features.

The stability is the best. It's very reliable.

The roaming signal is excellent.

You can do firewalling over the WiFi which is unique.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the configuration is difficult.

Aruba needs to offer an IT telephone in order to can catch all of the market. Cisco already has an IT telephone security product. Aruba does not. If Aruba offered an IP conference option it would be great.

I've worked with Aruba for seven years at this point.

The stability is great, as is the reliability and the performance. there are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. the signal is strong.

Aruba is scalable. Many products are. For example, if we have a controller, we can manage 2,000 access points and can add another thousand access points.

Technical support is very good, very qualified. We are very happy with their level of knowledge and support.

We are a partner for Aruba, Cisco, and Huawei.

The implementation is easy. Anyone that has a platform from Aruba or knows about Aruba knows about configuring the product, which can be difficult. There are many deployment options for a natural configuration. You need to figure out what type of deployment you are doing (and there can be many) and do it according to your specific needs. If one has enough experience or is certified from Aruba, he can do it. If he doesn't it's complex and difficult.

ClearPass from Aruba is complicated. However, it's a very good, powerful software.

What other advice do I have?

We are on a partner, gold partner at tier-one for HP. We are working directly with the vendor. There isn't any team, or any supplier, or anyone between us and Aruba. For Cisco, we are working with their team or, and the suppliers from Europe, from Dubai. We request some material from them, and that's all. Huawei has the same setup as Cisco.

I'm certified ACMP, ACSP, ACDB, and a certified ACAD, AC professional.

While the latest release was 10, we are working with 8.7.

New users will get a lot of benefits from Aruba. They have a lot of products - including ClearPass. Users will not find any net solution like ClearPass, from anyone. In Gartner, it is a leader in IoT for wired and wireless IoT such as cameras, access control, et cetera. They also have great switches. It's a very big vendor like HP.

Aruba has a lifetime warranty. You don't need to get proactive care; the hardware already has a lifetime warranty. In the end, you will get a lot of benefits.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Head of Operations & Support at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Very stable, with good integration, but quite expensive
  • "The solution is quite stable and very robust."
  • "There needs to be better visibility on the day-to-day monitoring."

What is most valuable?

The solution has great integration capabilities.

It offers a lot of helpful common features.

The solution is quite stable and very robust.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive. If they could make the cost a bit lower, that would be helpful. It's pricey compared to, for example, D-Link or TP-Link. Other commonly used products offer more competitive pricing.

The solution should offer more simplified tools.

There needs to be better visibility on the day-to-day monitoring.

It would be ideal if they had cloud services whereby you could manage everything from the cloud. This may be on the most current version, however, on older versions, they don't offer this. Even if you deployed on-premises, you should be able to control everything from the cloud.

We've been using the solution for quite some time. It's easily been about five or so years at this point.

The solution is quite stable. It's very robust, in fact. Many enterprises deploy it and they can rely on its stability.

As a solution suitable for enterprises, it can scale quite well. A company should have no trouble expanding it if they need to.

Everyone has their own method of deploying this product. Each company is different. It may be pretty straightforward or more complex depending on an organization's needs.

Their pricing is on-par with Cisco. It's definitely not the cheapest on the market. It's on the higher end in terms of price. For example, you need to purchase extra tools in order to get better monitoring and performance visibility.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Aruba partner. We provide this solution to our customers.

We tend to work with and offer the latest version on the market. The version we have now in our offices is more than five years old at this point. It was the latest version when we installed it.

Would advise anyone considering using Aruba first do a proof of concept. Different environments will have different needs. It's really up to the team and the performance walls that you're looking to test. If your company is pretty simple and small, it may not be necessary to have Aruba. It would be like buying a Ferrari when all you really need is any old car. However, if your organization is looking for a solution that is solid, performance-wise, this may be perfect. It's best to test.

Also, a company needs to clearly identify their requirements. Do they need the high performance? Are they constrained by costs? All of these questions need to be considered before signing onto a solution. A cost-benefit analysis needs to be done before choosing any product.

Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If it offered more free tools and had better day-to-day monitoring, I might rank it higher.

Download our free Aruba Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022