Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Corporate IT Applications Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Robust, easy straightforward, and works well for our e-commerce solution
  • "The stability is magnificent, it's spectacular."
  • "When you are first starting, the initial setup can be a bit complex, but it gets easier after that."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon AWS as an IaaS Cloud for our e-commerce sites.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the stability and scalability AWS provides, our team can now focus on how to engage and delight our customers instead of constantly being fixing production issues.

What is most valuable?

We have not had any problems at all.

In the 4 years that we have been using  IaaS services from Amazon, we have not had any issues.

It's a great IaaS cloud. They are the leaders. No cloud provider can match Amazon right now.

Other providers are improving year over year, but Amazon is still ahead at least two years.

What needs improvement?

Working with AWS requieres your organization to invest in training your team to better use and take advantaje of all that AWS has to offer.

Amazon AWS
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using this solution for 4 years.

AWS provides without a doubt the most mature and stable IaaS cloud in the market.

We have thousands of customers who are going to our websites to purchase goods and it takes a matter of minutes to scale the infrastructure both horizontally or vertically.

Great services, assistance and response time from the AWS team

It depends on how complex is the architecture of the solution to be deployed, in our case because Magento is sort of "native" for AWS it has been straightforward.

We implement through a vendor team specialized implementing and managing Magento on AWS

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS a ten out of ten.

HimanshuTejwani - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Plenty of services, simple to understand, with significant support

What is our primary use case?

There are different services, approximately 150 of them, this solution can provide. There are a few services I most commonly use. I am using it for the virtual servers, Lightsail which are lightweight virtual servers, and a simple storage service which is called S3.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features I have found to be the virtual server is easy to understand, a secure environment, and AWS has a fast community for finding solutions to problems you might be facing.

I have been using the solution for three years.

We have approximately 15 users using the solution in my organization.

The scalability of the solution all depends on the services that you are using. It is very easy to scale in the cloud if you want to launch multiple servers and if you want to vertically or horizontally scale up the servers. It can support many environments such as Windows and Linux.

The support is fast at responding and resolving issues.

I have used Microsoft Azure and DigitalOcean previously.

The solution is an on-demand service. There is a monthly billing requirement which is for the virtual machines we currently use.

The solution is expensive compared to other providers because you need many of the services and it can add up fast.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others and I plan to use the solution in the future.

I rate Amazon AWS a ten out of ten.

Amazon AWS
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Arquiteto de Soluções at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A complete cloud infrastructure solution with many valuable features and great scalability and stability
  • "It has several valuable features, but the load balancer, auto-scaling, and RDS database are the main ones. It is a complete cloud infrastructure solution."
  • "In terms of technical features, I don't see anything missing. The only two points in favor of other providers are the price and local support. The main problem that we see here in Brazil is the price. It is much more expensive than any other cloud provider. Their local support can also be better. We get more support from some of the other providers here in Brazil as compared to AWS."

What is our primary use case?

We have migrated on-premises infrastructure for a customer to the AWS cloud with different workloads, such as Windows, Linux, Oracle, and SQL Server. It is a public and hybrid cloud deployment.

What is most valuable?

It has several valuable features, but the load balancer, auto-scaling, and RDS database are the main ones. It is a complete cloud infrastructure solution.

What needs improvement?

Their local support can also be better. We get more support from some of the other providers here in Brazil as compared to AWS.

It is very stable. There are no problems with its stability.

Its scalability is perfect and great. We have around 300 users.

Their technical support is okay, but it can be better. This is something for which there is room for improvement. We get more support from some of the other providers as compared to AWS.

It had medium complexity. It was not too complex, but it is never simple to migrate to the cloud. It took three months.

Several people were involved in its deployment. We had 13 people in total. There were about eight people from our side and maybe five people from the customer side.

It is much more expensive than any other cloud provider.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

Senior Researcher at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, scalable, and reduces overhead costs
  • "Cost-effective and tolerant."
  • "Setup is somewhat complex."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case was as a place to migrate legacy systems.

How has it helped my organization?

AWS has reduced our costs and maintenance requirements. It also allows us to control our load in peak times and automatically increases or decreases your capacity as required.

What is most valuable?

The features I have found most valuable are S3 buckets and Lambda services.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be API creation - a lot of tools are provided, but there can be issues with integrating them. There is also a cost underlay, in that at the end of the day, some costs are not in the picture, so AWS needs to improve its costing toolset.

I have been using this solution for two years.

The stability of AWS has improved over time and can now be well managed.

This solution is scalable to any limit.

I previously used Rackspace Openstack but switched because it required more manpower than AWS, and AWS is more cost-effective and tolerant.

The setup was somewhat complex. It was done in three phases over a year.

This solution reduced our overhead cost by 30-40%.

Technical support is expensive to use.

I evaluated Oracle Cloud, but it was more complex to use and provided a smaller toolset than AWS.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is one of the top tools available for legacy migration. I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Cyprian Oyiengo - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Implementation and Security at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
It makes deployment and management of infrastructure easier
  • "AWS's containerization is the most useful feature for us."
  • "I'd like to see AWS implement consolidated billing for businesses operating under one group. We want to consolidate the functionalities but keep the billing separate. That is a challenge we've faced, and I feel it's something they can improve on. For example, maybe you have three businesses that are operating under one group, and you want each entity to have a separate bill for the respective workload that they're using."

What is our primary use case?

AWS makes deployment and management of infrastructure easier. We are using so many features, including Lambda, Elastic Beanstalk, Elastic Container Service, EC2 instances, and Landing Zone. We rely heavily on AWS, and we're constantly taking advantage of new features as they come out to see how they can add value to the business.

What is most valuable?

AWS's containerization is the most useful feature for us.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see AWS implement consolidated billing for businesses operating under one group. We want to consolidate the functionalities but keep the billing separate. That is a challenge we've faced, and I feel it's something they can improve on. For example, maybe you have three businesses that are operating under one group, and you want each entity to have a separate bill for the respective workload that they're using. But in terms of technical expertise, you want to consolidate the technical support and function of the three accounts. That's an area where AWS is struggling.

I've been using Amazon AWS for about four or five years.

AWS is stable.

AWS is scalable. We're serving close to 7,000 or 8,000 end-users with it.

AWS support is good.

AWS is pay as you go.

We reviewed the main three cloud providers: GCP, Azure, and AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AWS 9.5 out of 10. I would recommend it.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
GauravGupta3 - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder & Solution Architect at Fluidech
Intuitive, reliable, and easy and quick to deploy
  • "It is intuitive, easy to deploy, and rather quick to deploy and set up. There are a number of native services in the ecosystem. These services are built into the cloud and are mature enough to support you in many ways."
  • "Amazon still has room for improvement in terms of being more mature on the monitoring side and in terms of the native capabilities. Amazon should get their services portfolio stronger on OEM-based workloads such as Microsoft and Oracle. There are a lot of areas that still do not have offerings, so there is room to grow. I would be happy if they bring more maturity to the monitoring capabilities and SaaS offerings. They are strong on Infrastructure as a Service, but they are not mature on SaaS."

What is most valuable?

It is intuitive, easy to deploy, and rather quick to deploy and set up. There are a number of native services in the ecosystem. These services are built into the cloud and are mature enough to support you in many ways.

It is relatively secure and definitely reliable for uptime.

What needs improvement?

Amazon still has room for improvement in terms of being more mature on the monitoring side and in terms of the native capabilities. Amazon should get their services portfolio stronger on OEM-based workloads such as Microsoft and Oracle. There are a lot of areas that still do not have offerings, so there is room to grow. I would be happy if they bring more maturity to the monitoring capabilities and SaaS offerings. They are strong on Infrastructure as a Service, but they are not mature on SaaS.

Amazon is not at all a partner-friendly company. Support from Amazon is not at all good as a partner.

We are a technology consulting and managed services company. For our customers, we've been designing solutions on Amazon Cloud for almost seven years.

It has been stable so far.

It is scalable.

Support from Amazon is not at all good as a partner. We wouldn't lose sleep by not working with them as a partner, but we would continue to work on that technology. It is not at all a partner-friendly company.

It is easy to deploy. You can quickly deploy and set it up.

What other advice do I have?

Considering the product, support, service, and maturity, I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of 10.

CTO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Plenty of connectors, high performance, and reliable
  • "Amazon is a really good solution with high performance. They offer more connectors than some of their competitors, such as Microsoft Azure."
  • "Amazon AWS could improve by being more secure and adding more features."

What is our primary use case?

I was using Amazon AWS in the medical market in my previous employment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Amazon AWS could improve by being more secure and adding more features.

I have been using Amazon AWS for approximately six years.

Amazon AWS in my experience has been more stable than Microsoft Azure.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 50 customers that are using the solution.

We have moved from Amazon AWS to Microsoft Azure. I have found that both solutions perform very well. The main reason we switched was to allow us to manage where the data was to be stored. We wanted a data storage solution in France which most of our customers were requesting. Two years ago, Amazon did not have any solution to provide any storage in France.

The level of difficulty for the installation of Amazon AWS is similar to Microsoft Azure. They are very difficult.

We have a five-person team of DevOps and architects that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

If I was going to compare the cost of Amazon AWS to Microsoft Azure, they are approximately the same.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

Senior Field Application Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A perfect solution with good features, security, integration, and support
  • "They are enterprising and pretty good in terms of features. It has good security. Its availability is also pretty good. It is available everywhere in the world. It has pretty good integrations, and it is working well. They have done a lot of improvements, and its UI has improved a lot."
  • "They currently have fewer regions in Asia, especially in India, China, and other places. They can maybe put more data centers in this region."

What is our primary use case?

We run everything on AWS. You can run anything on this, such as web servers, application servers, and containers as a service.

What is most valuable?

They are enterprising and pretty good in terms of features. It has good security. Its availability is also pretty good. It is available everywhere in the world.

It has pretty good integrations, and it is working well. They have done a lot of improvements, and its UI has improved a lot.

What needs improvement?

They currently have fewer regions in Asia, especially in India, China, and other places. They can maybe put more data centers in this region.

I have been using this solution for three to four months.

It is very stable. They keep on improving it continuously.

It is scalable. A lot of people are using it, especially DevOps.

Their support is pretty fast and good. They provide worldwide support, and everything is taken care of.

It is straightforward. You have all the documentation, so it is pretty good. For its deployment, two or three people should be more than enough.

What other advice do I have?

Everything is good in this solution. They are number one, and they have done everything. The number of services is very huge, and they have taken care of everything. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Amazon AWS a ten out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022