Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
NoufalMohamed - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Manager at Mignet Technologies
Reseller
Good device control, good features in the basic plan, and good price, but needs better performance and user-friendly dashboard
  • "Device control is most valuable. Symantec is providing all such features in the basic plan, whereas when we last checked, such a feature was not available in the basic plan of Malwarebytes."
  • "More control features can be added, and its performance can also be better. Sometimes, the performance is not good when we access the cloud console. Moving to each tab is slow. The dashboard can be a little bit user-friendly. For some users, it is a bit difficult. If someone is a little bit familiar with it, then it is fine. Otherwise, it is hard to find policies in Symantec."

What is our primary use case?

We are providing endpoint protection services. Our customers are very basic, and they usually enquire about endpoint protection, mainly antivirus. We try to explain to them about the threats and suggest that they go for endpoint security. We suggest this solution because it is a cloud-based solution, and they don't need to spare a VM for it. However, most of the time, they insist that nothing will happen to their system, and they just want to renew their endpoint protection system. They are usually not aware of ransomware or other threats.

How has it helped my organization?

I recently checked with a customer, and the feedback that we have got from this customer is that it is catching almost all pirated applications. They are very happy with it. The customer was using a few pirated applications, and it blocked all those applications. The IT person was able to convince them to go for genuine applications.

What is most valuable?

Device control is most valuable. Symantec is providing all such features in the basic plan, whereas when we last checked, such a feature was not available in the basic plan of Malwarebytes.

What needs improvement?

More control features can be added, and its performance can also be better. Sometimes, the performance is not good when we access the cloud console. Moving to each tab is slow.

Symantec Endpoint Security
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for just one year.

It is stable.

Initially, our customer had a problem with SSO, and they contacted Symantec's technical support. They got immediate support, but the support that they received was not good.

Initially, it was a bit complex, and we spent some time understanding it. Since then, it has been straightforward. We know where exactly everything is. We have become familiar with it.

We usually set it up for our customers.

It is cheap. It is especially cheaper than Malwarebytes, which is three times higher than this. It is also cheaper than Cisco. Its price is almost similar to Bitdefender, Gravity, and CloudZone.

What other advice do I have?

Before recommending a solution, we check out the new features in each solution because we provide constant support. I would recommend this solution if a customer's requirements are basic. Similarly, if you are concerned about the price and looking for a safer option to secure your endpoints, you can go with Symantec.

It lacks certain features that are there in other solutions. There are certain features that are available in Bitdefender, but they are not there in this solution. I'm also not sure how good is its anti-ransomware protection.

I would rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security a seven out of ten. As compared to other solutions, I don't find it to be a great solution, but our customers are very satisfied with it, and they would rate it at least an eight out of ten.

Manager IS Security at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very stable and easy to manage but needs advanced threat protection
  • "It is very easy to managing everything in relation to the implementation and processing. The initial setup is very easy."
  • "If the agent can be minimized so that it can work with in-memory concepts, that would be ideal. As of now, it is file-based, signature-based."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for all of our desktops and laptops; we use it for security purposes - for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

The solution is constantly getting updated with the latest definitions.

It's easy to get it across to all clients. The agent installation is very easy and the agent will talk to the server.

It is very easy to managing everything in relation to the implementation and processing. The initial setup is very easy.

The solution scales quite well.

The solution has proven itself to be very stable over the years.

Technical support has been pretty good in general.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the solution could match up with the competition's offerings - for example, making sure they are keeping up with, for example, CrowdStrike and other offerings.

They need to ensure they are continuously keeping up with cybersecurity trends.

If the next release contained advanced threat protection and EDR, et cetera, it would be really fantastic.

If the agent can be minimized so that it can work with in-memory concepts, that would be ideal. As of now, it is file-based, signature-based. If they should come with an in-memory option, it should work at the random-access memory level also.

We've been using Symantec for the past two decades. It's been a long time. I have years of experience with the product.

The stability has been very good. We haven't had any issues in that respect. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is very reliable.

The solution can scale if you need it to. If a company needs to expand it, it shouldn't be a problem to do so.

I can't speak to how many of our users are currently on the product at this time.

As of right now, we do not have plans to increase the usage within our organization.

Technical support has been very good so far. We find them to be helpful and responsive. We're quite satisfied with the level of support we get.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It is very simple and straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial implementation.

We may switch to another solution and we are evaluating a variety of options currently. We have not come to a decision just yet. We simply want to see what else is on the market and how this product stands up to other solutions. We're mostly just curious to see what is happening in the space. We've looked at, for example, CrowdStrike, among others.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer as well as an end-user. We don't have a professional or business relationship with the company.

We only ever use the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure what version number we are on right now, however.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Symantec Endpoint Security
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Heritier Daya - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has a current antivirus database, and solution can be managed from a single server
  • "One of the most valuable features is its antivirus database, which is current and updated daily. Another valuable feature is its capacity to be managed by a single server. The solution is managed by a secure server, so all the endpoints are managed from a central point."
  • "As for some features I would like to see, I'd like a retrospective action feature similar to Cisco Secure Endpoint's. Some antiviruses don't allow you to re-scan a product that was in the former scan—for example, if a file was classified as proper, but then for some reason the file was changed, we need an antivirus with retrospective capability. We need EPP and EDR products in a secured environment."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is endpoint security. We use it to secure our environment and endpoints—the basic purpose of antivirus products.

This solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is its antivirus database, which is current and updated daily. Another valuable feature is its capacity to be managed by a single server. The solution is managed by a secure server, so all the endpoints are managed from a central point.

What needs improvement?

For me, Symantec has been working fine. I'm not dealing with security inside the company, I'm just in the network part, so I can't think of any suggestions for improvement.

As for some features I would like to see, I'd like a retrospective action feature similar to Cisco Secure Endpoint's. Some antiviruses don't allow you to re-scan a product that was in the former scan—for example, if a file was classified as proper, but then for some reason the file was changed, we need an antivirus with retrospective capability. We need EPP and EDR products in a secured environment.

We have been using this product for more than 10 years.

This product is stable. We've been using it for 10 years, and I can say that it has been stable.

Basically, once the product is installed on the server, there is no maintenance to do. Maybe there are some updates, moving from a lower to a higher version, but this is the main maintenance that people do.

This product is easy to scale. Normally, such a product isn't easy to scale nor to manage, but this solution is user-friendly and isn't complicated to manage. In my company, this product is deployed on all the workstations—more than 1,700 PCs.

I'm not dealing with this product on the front line—it's managed by my colleagues on the security team—but I think Symantec's technical support is fine. If we ever have an issue, I think we raise a ticket to Symantec's support center, and they take care of us.

Deploying Symantec is easy—when you install it, you click "next," "next," "next," and then you update the antivirus. When you start, it's already directly in production. For me, the initial setup was not a big deal. We deployed this solution internally.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

We are currently testing Cisco Secure Endpoint for endpoint protection, and we have been using it for one year. I prefer it because Cisco is one of the big network and security vendors, so when they sell a product, they're sure about the whole performance of the product. The product must have a good reputation because the brand itself says something.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Symantec End User Endpoint Security an eight out of ten, and would recommend it to others.

System Analyst at Abbey Mortgage Bank
Great auto-discovery capabilities with good overall security features and good stability
  • "The solution offers very good security features and is comparable to Sophos."
  • "The monitoring capabilities could be further developed."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection for the workstations. It's desktop protection, basically.

What is most valuable?

The auto-discovery capabilities are great.

The solution offers very good security features and is comparable to Sophos.

The solution is quite stable.

What needs improvement?

Sophos's ransomware protection gives you some kind of comparative advantage over Symantec. Symantec needs to be better in this regard.

The monitoring capabilities could be further developed. For example, you get Sophos Central in Sophos. In Symantec, I don't know if there is an equivalent. You can actually manage and do deployment across the various geo-locations on every single point, however, Sophos is a cross-platform solution and Symantec is not.

Sophos Central gives me a one-stop-shop on one page that allows me to monitor all activities going on in my network. Symantec doesn't have that.

The initial setup can be a bit complex.

The scalability could be a bit easier.

We're not too happy with the level of technical support we get.

The pricing is okay, however, it could be more competitive.

I've been using the solution for ten years at this point. It's been about a decade. We've used it for a long time.

The solution is very stable. We have no complaints. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability of the product is decent. I'd rate the ease of scalability at a seven or eight out of ten.

The support hasn't been fantastic lately. It can be better. We're not very satisfied overall. They need to be more helpful and responsive.

I use Symantec, however, I also use Sophos. I use Sophos for endpoint protection for my server. I use Symantec for my email workstations, et cetera.

For Symantec, it's sometimes a bit complex or difficult - especially when you're setting it up. It's not straightforward when you have to set it up, specifically from the server. On top of that, the administrative side is not a piece of cake. You have a lot of items you need to take care of.

The pricing is decent. It falls within an acceptable range. However, if the goal is to draw more clients, it could be a bit less expensive.

If you do a comparison between Symantec and Sophos, then you can easily see the comparative advantages Sophos has over Symantec. Symantec should study it in order to gain an edge in the industry and to better understand the areas to improve on, and what additional features to add.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten.

Arvind Tiwari - PeerSpot reviewer
Deputy General Manager at CMS
Helpful for preventing global threats, easy to deploy, and reliable
  • "All Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) features, such as anti-malware, zero-day attack protection, and IPS features, are valuable."
  • "It should support the next-generation IPS. Currently, it supports only IPS."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for detecting and blocking web attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped me in providing authentication mechanisms, restricting devices, and blocking global threats. There is about 10% to 15% improvement.

What is most valuable?

All Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) features, such as anti-malware, zero-day attack protection, and IPS features, are valuable.

What needs improvement?

Zero-day threat and device management or device control can be better. The patch implementation or patch management can also be better because sometimes, they are issuing or deploying patches in old versions.

It should support the next-generation IPS. Currently, it supports only IPS.

I have been using this solution since 2010.

We haven't had any issues with SEP. We have been using it for quite a long time, and it has been stable. It is reliable. We are getting upgrade patches.

We are also using other Symantec solutions, such as Blue Coat, and we have had issues with them but not with SEP.

It can be scaled up with EDR and XDR extensions. We have deployed it at multiple locations, and we have plans to increase its usage.

Their technical support is fine. I didn't find any issues with that. I would rate them a nine out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I used to use Trend Micro Quick Scan. I switched because we were getting some attacks, and Trend Micro was not able to detect them.

It was straightforward. We had around 500 systems, and it took about a week. About three to four people were involved in its deployment. Their roles were engineer, team lead, and admin.

We had a consultant from Symantec for its implementation. In terms of maintenance, it doesn’t require that much maintenance, but it requires patch updates on a regular basis. I take care of its maintenance.

The pricing is as per the environment. If all the features are there, there will be a cost for them. There were no additional costs for me. Support and other things were included in the pricing.

We did a PoC of McAfee, Trend Micro, and other solutions in our environment. Symantec was better. So, we went for it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise using all of its features, such as IPS. These features are very good. I'm using a lot of solutions from Symantec. I am using SEP, and I am also using Blue Coat devices. They provided us with the entire solution design.

I would rate Symantec Endpoint Security a nine out of ten. It is a nice product.

Project Manager at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
A straightforwards setup with good pricing and good real-time updating capabilities
  • "The pricing is pretty good."
  • "Technical support could be more responsive."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using this solution for our workstations.

What is most valuable?

The product is a good antivirus in terms of the fact that it can do real-time scanning and scheduling. We can plan scans for the weekend. We can also control it on the server for all the clients it manages.

The solution gets real-time updates of virus definition files from the internet. If there is any malware attack or something, then it can immediately download and apply it to the clients.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The pricing is pretty good. We don't find it too expensive to have in our organization.

What needs improvement?

We've had some issues with the performance. There have been some minor hiccups. Now it's better. Initially, it had some issues, not for all, but some of the systems only. We had applied a fix that was released in the 14.1 version. By 14.2 they fixed the issue. Ever since we applied 14.2, it's good.

During the scanning time, it could be less intrusive for the users. Right now, it's not exactly working quietly in the background.

Technical support could be more responsive.

I've been using the solution for six years at this point. It's been a while since we began working with it.

While we've had issues with stability in the past, since version 14.2 it hasn't been a problem. We no longer have issues.

The resources can be expanded with more load and all, however, I'm not sure how scalable it is in terms of expanding it.

Internally, there are likely 800 users that use this product.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. They are okay, however, they could be faster in their response time. We're not fully satisfied with their level of service.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is not too complex. It's pretty simple and straightforward. A company shouldn't have too much trouble with the implementation.

The installation of the server would have taken few hours, however, on the client site we attracted an automated installation, so it deployed from the server and we can pose the agent to the server from the client.

We had a manager and two consultants that handled the implementation.

We had a consultant assist us with the client.

We need licenses to use the product, however, the pricing is reasonable. It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten.

Phillip Evely - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at Cape Breton Regional Municipality
Offers good antivirus protection, but there's no way to track how infection get into the network
  • "The antivirus and antimalware features are good."
  • "The platform itself can be improved as there's no way to track how infections get into the organization."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for endpoint protection at the desktop level.

What is most valuable?

The antivirus and antimalware features are good. Reporting is also pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The platform itself can be improved as there's no way to track how infections get into the organization. You're just notified if there is an instance. Still, there's no way to actually determine a workflow of how it actually came in, how it was executed, and how it was distributed within the enterprise if indeed it did migrate or propagate through.

It would be really good if they had a proactive feature to isolate the node with the agent on the endpoint when it sees some type of erroneous behavior and knock it off the network. Then it can't probably get onto another node. You can usually do that with a policy setting.

It'll also help if they give us more of an explanation of what the malware tries to do once it's on the network. For example, if it's trying to call home to a specific IP or domain. We can use that information to beef up the firewall rules.

Case in point, we had an issue where we had a machine that was affected. It immediately tried to find other machines on that network segment with the same vulnerability to infect that particular node. There was no way to lock that node down immediately when you see something out of the ordinary.

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Protection for about 13 years.

Stability has been fair. There have been some issues with the CPU utilization on some of the endpoints. A little bit of a resource hog, but we've been able to work through it for the most part.

Symantec Endpoint Protection scaled very well. It's actually very easy to use.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It probably took an afternoon or maybe a day to install and deploy.

I implemented Symantec Endpoint Protection by myself.

We usually go on a per-seat basis, and it's usually yearly. The prices fluctuate, but this year I think it was maybe around $12,000. If you're looking at the on-prem costs for the virtual server and the licensing for the server, that would be the only extra cost.

What other advice do I have?

Symantec Endpoint Protection is very straightforward to implement. The installation of the septum server on-prem is very straightforward, and you can push the radio to your endpoints almost instantly.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Symantec Endpoint Protection a six.

Faisal Mian - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at ABM Info. tech
An easily installable, stable and scalable solution for handling different threats
  • "The solution can be scaled to handle different threats."
  • "The solution should have more integration with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for detection and endpoint protection against threats and malware.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution can be scaled to deal with different threats. The same agent will be integrated into different Symantec products, which obviates the need to deploy multiple agents. This keeps things very small and effective.

What needs improvement?

The solution should have more integration with other platforms.

Broadcom's support is friendly and very professional. However, in Pakistan, the support team takes more time than Trend Micro or Sophos to reach to the bottom, as their policies are under review. A strategy should be employed to open this to Pakistan, as well. As such, a delay occurs, something which occasionally comes about indirectly. The support itself is good, but the issue which needs to be resolved concerns the promptness with which an assigned engineer can address each ticket we open.

I have been using Symantec End-User Endpoint Security for over a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution can be scaled to handle different threats.

Broadcom's support is friendly and very professional. However, in Pakistan, the support team takes more time than Trend Micro or Sophos to reach the bottom, as their policies are under review. A strategy should be employed to open this to Pakistan, as well. As such, a delay occurs, something which occasionally comes about indirectly. The support itself is good, but the issue which needs to be addressed concerns the promptness with which an assigned engineer can address each ticket we open.

The installation is straightforward.

The deployment lasts two hours.

The licensing terms can range from subscription-based to perpetual, to annual, to tri-annual.

What other advice do I have?

The Symantec footprint in Pakistan was once very big, numbering 40,000 endpoints which were deployed by us and more than 20,000 by other partners in the banking sector, although now it is considerably smaller.

The solution can be deployed both on-premises and on-cloud.

At one point in time, we had 20 customers.

I would definitely recommend the solution to others.

I rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security as an eight out of ten.

Download our free Symantec Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022