We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Manager IT (SAP) at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable with good technical support and excellent reporting features
  • "The reporting features the solution offers are excellent."
  • "The solution could be less expensive. It's a bit pricey now."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for reports regarding sales inventory and production.

What is most valuable?

The reporting features the solution offers are excellent.

Technical support is quite good. They are responsive when we reach out.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

We are not on the latest patch, the latest version. There are different pain points, such as data loading or inventory issues. It can take a lot of time to load.

The solution could be less expensive. It's a bit pricey now.

We've been using the solution at the company for around six or seven years at this point. However, I've only used it for the last two years or so.

The stability isn't quite as good as it could be. It's not a perfectly scalable solution.

The solution is very easy to expand. It scales quite well. If a company needs to expand the solution, it can do so relatively easily.

I'm the only one who is using this solution and I'm publishing the reports and a few others are using Microsoft Analysis for SAP, doing the reports.

I've used technical support in the past. I've found them to be responsive and knowledgeable. They are quite helpful. We're satisfied with the level of service we receive.

I was not a part of the initial setup. I can't speak to how long the deployment was or how easy or difficult the process ended up being.

In terms of upgrading, we have no need to at this point.

Licensing is paid on a yearly basis.

There is room for improvement in the pricing. It could be more reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We're just an end-user and a customer. We don't have a business relationship with SAP.

We are not yet on the latest version of the product.

I would advise new users to not go for these old versions and instead go for the new versions that at least use embedded analytics, et cetera.

I'd rate the solution at around seven out of ten. There are a few areas it could improve upon.

VivekGupta3
Analytics Manager at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Useful dashboard, beneficial fixed format reports, and reliable
  • "The planning and dashboarding features have been useful. Additionally, the fixed-format reports are good."
  • "The solution is not good for self-services, they can improve in this area."

What is most valuable?

The planning and dashboarding features have been useful. Additionally, the fixed-format reports are good.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not good for self-services, they can improve in this area.

We are in the beginning stages of the implementation and once we roll it out to end-users then we will see further improvement areas.

In SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform we use Lumira Designer, or the earlier version is Design Studio, where we create management dashboards. We feel that the tool is very complex in terms of implementing the dashboard. Lots of coding and performance issues. We require particular skillsets and resources, regular users cannot understand it. The management dashboards should be easy to configure. The only option right now is Lumira Designer, but it is complex to implement. Maintaining and supporting it takes time, and something should be done to improve the experience.

I have been using the SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

We have approximately 1,000 users using this solution in our company.

We did not find any major support areas that needed the support from SAP. The majority of the application support our team managed fine and we did not suffer any hardware issues. Our issues were resolved.

The installation was a medium difficulty level because we do not have complex scenarios in our use case. There are some complex portions but there were no roadblocks that prevented us from continuing.

The price and the pricing model are fine. We find the solution does not give us a lot of additional value.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization prefers one visualization tool, that's why SAP will be in our roadmap.

I think companies prefer self-service. BSAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform seems a little typical tool in terms of self-service. We recommend other solutions, such as Microsoft BI, because they can do a lot more functions.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Thales Azevedo
Gerente de BI at a government with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up with good stability and helpful technical support
  • "The setup is pretty easy. It's not hard at all."
  • "The UI could be updated a bit."

What is most valuable?

The solution has been extremely stable. We haven't had any issues so far.

The setup is pretty easy. It's not hard at all.

Technical support, overall, has been very good and we've been happy with their level of service.

What needs improvement?

The basic components of the solution could be improved.

The UI could be updated a bit.

I can't think of any features that are currently missing from the product at this time.

We've been using the solution for about seven years at this point. It's been a while. We have a lot of experience with it.

We've found the stability of the solution to be very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Plenty of users in our organization actually use the solution.

Technical support for the most part has been very good. We've had a positive experience and we are quite satisfied with the level of support they provide to us.

I don't recall the company using a previous solution. As far as I know, the company has only ever really used SAP.

We've found the initial setup to be pretty straightforward. It's not so complex. A company shouldn't have any trouble with the implementation process.

We didn't need any assistance with the integration process. It's a process that I manage as an integration manager.

We pay our licensing fees on a monthly basis. I can't speak to how much they are. I don't recall there being any extra costs above the licensing itself.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the organization.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it as a perfect ten. It's been great. For the most part, we have been happy with the product.

RanvijayKumar
Application Development Assoc Manager at Eccenture
The semantic layer offers us the flexibility to go for ad hoc reporting
  • "BusinessObject's most useful feature is the semantic layer, which offers us the flexibility to go for ad hoc reporting."
  • "The interface could be slicker and more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I've used BusinessObjects for projects in finance and healthcare. Also, one of the leading pharmaceutical companies uses it as a reporting tool. We had the data source and ad hoc requirements, so we created semantic layer data modeling for the database and reporting system. Then we used BusinessObjects as a tool for reporting and dashboards.

What is most valuable?

BusinessObject's most useful feature is the semantic layer, which offers us the flexibility to go for ad hoc reporting.

What needs improvement?

I want BusinessObjects to have more flexibility like Tableau or Power BI. The interface could be slicker and more user-friendly. SAP could add more ability to design and customize the dashboards.

BusinessObjects is not that user-friendly. They have different tools for designing dashboards like Discovery— previously called Lumira. That isn't as user-friendly as Tableau.

I've been using BusinessObjects for four to five years.

BusinessObjects is stable.

BusinessObject's main advantage is the ad hoc capability.

I've contacted SAP support once or twice. We raised a support request, and they responded promptly. They organized a call and helped us resolve the issue.

BusinessObjects' installation is comparable to Tableau, but BusinessObjects requires a skilled administrator for management and maintenance because it's a little more complex than Tableau.

In terms of flexibility and user-friendliness, Tableau is better than BusinessObjects, but if you have ad hoc requirements, then BusinessObjects is better.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SAP BusinessObjects eight out of 10. I would recommend BusinessObjects, but it depends on the requirements. SAP is a better choice if you are doing daily reporting where you need to drag and drop objects and create ad hoc reporting then export to Excel or CSV.

Head of BI and Analytics at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Useful SAP BW tool, easy to use, but Lumira dashboard tool needs improvement
  • "The most valuable feature we have found to be the SAP BW, which is a warehouse tool. Additionally, it is an easy tool to use."
  • "The dashboard tool is called Lumira and it is very uncomfortable for developers to use. They should improve this in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform for a lot of things, such as simple reports and business dashboards, and in all the business areas, for example, finance, sales, and purchasing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature we have found to be the SAP BW, which is a warehouse tool. Additionally, it is an easy tool to use.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard tool is called Lumira and it is very uncomfortable for developers to use. They should improve this in the future.

The stability is good. However, the performance could be better.

We have several hundred end-users using this solution and we use the solution on a daily basis.

The solution is scalable. We feel comfortable with the infrastructure that we have, but we can expand if we want to.

The technical support is good, I am satisfied.

I previously use Oracle BI. I think the Oracle BI is stronger and has more functionality than SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform. However, it does not connect to SAP ERP which is a disadvantage.

The initial setup is simple, it took us two days to complete.

The implementation, maintenance, and updates can be done by staff within the company. There are times we have used local support or integrators in our area.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is not meant to be very complicated, solutions that are complicated require other tools.

I rate SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform a seven out of ten.

KarimSamy
BMC Remedy Senior ITSM Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Makes receiving reports easy

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our customers and to schedule reports. We use it so we can provide them options, to let anyone type in the system and run the report anytime they want.

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable is that you can run the reports anytime and you can receive the report at a scheduled time. When someone wants to receive these reports at a certain time, we schedule the report to be sent at their requested time. The user can access the application and run the report anytime he wants, whenever.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, some reports need more customizations. Customers request reports that need more customization.

I have been using this solution for about five years.

It is reliable.

Technical support is good, but we have to renew the support license every year. If we don't renew, we don't get any support.

The setup was a little complicated. It's not as easy to install it and there is not much information on the internet, so you have to depend on yourself. When you compare it to other applications, like BMC, HP, Dell, and IBM, there are many users who have experience with the solution and share their knowledge on the internet, but there is not much information online for SAP.

What other advice do I have?

It integrates well with many other solutions. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Associate Manager at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible, useful for complex reporting, and comes with many components
  • "It provides flexibility for creating reports. It is very good for creating highly-complex reports. I like this solution because when I buy BusinessObjects, it comes with many components, such as reporting, dashboard, and data visualization tools. Its performance is good. It is running on top of SAP BW and SAP HANA."
  • "Its data visualization tool is not as good as Power BI and Tableau. Currently, for data visualization, you need to spend more money to buy another solution such as Power BI or Tableau. It is also very hard to integrate it with other third-party solutions. Its integration with other solutions should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for reporting.

What is most valuable?

It provides flexibility for creating reports. It is very good for creating highly-complex reports. I like this solution because when I buy BusinessObjects, it comes with many components, such as reporting, dashboard, and data visualization tools.

Its performance is good. It is running on top of SAP BW and SAP HANA.

What needs improvement?

Its data visualization tool is not as good as Power BI and Tableau. Currently, for data visualization, you need to spend more money to buy another solution such as Power BI or Tableau.

It is also very hard to integrate it with other third-party solutions. Its integration with other solutions should be improved.

I have been using this solution for around seven years.

We have around 200 users of this solution.

They are helpful and quite professional. Sometimes, they don't respond faster, and sometimes, they say that it needs to be upgraded to the next version, which is something that I don't like.

Its installation was straightforward.

I did the installation.

Its price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

For data visualization, I would recommend Power BI and Tableau. For the report format, I would recommend SAP BusinessObjects.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Entrepreneur at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A robust solution with pretty direct integration with SAP ERP, but needs better pricing and more dashboarding metrics
  • "It is stable and robust. It has pretty direct integration with SAP ERP. It is easy to use."
  • "Its price should be better. It is expensive and not cost-effective. It should also be improved in terms of end-user experience. It requires further improvements for usability and ease of use. It should have more dashboarding metrics and much faster integration with ERP so that when you double click, you can instantly see the scenario-based result."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for dashboarding. We are using the previous version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and robust. It has pretty direct integration with SAP ERP. It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be better. It is expensive and not cost-effective. It should also be improved in terms of end-user experience. It requires further improvements for usability and ease of use.

It should have more dashboarding metrics and much faster integration with ERP so that when you double click, you can instantly see the scenario-based result.

I have been using this solution for about ten years.

We have about a hundred users of this solution.

Their technical support is all right.

It was a partner who did the installation. It took about one week. You need two people for its deployment.

It is not cost-effective. It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform a seven out of ten.

Download our free SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.