IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
IT Contractor at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Good replications, excellent resiliency, and helpful support
  • "The scalability is good."
  • "There was some complexity in the initial setup."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for storage.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way our organization functions by improving the resilience of our infrastructure by quite a bit.

What is most valuable?

The tool size is good. We have a tool size and then each size has one Pure Storage and they form the active cluster. We can just access the data on both sides with a uniform access design.

The scalability is good.

It can do some replications. They're very easy to perform.

What needs improvement?

We're quite happy with eh solution overall. I can't recall coming across any features that were lacking.

There was some complexity in the initial setup.

While they've improved a lot, many features have been released recently and they are not that mature just yet. My understanding is they just released some features, for some transport services over the NVMe and then the file service. However, the file service is not so mature. I had some problems with the file service when we used it.

Other new features, such as the active clustering over the FC, and the verification over the FC feature, we didn't use. We have to have a trial on it first before commenting on it.

Pure Storage FlashArray
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Pure Storage FlashArray. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for five years.

It's very, very, very stable. There are no performance degrades during any upgrade or replacement of the parts.

The product is extremely scalable.

There is only one person using the solution currently.

I've dealt with technical support previously. Their response is fast and mostly very, very helpful. We just need to enable the remote console on the array and then they just can easily troubleshoot by themselves. That way, we do not need more time to work with them. They just fix the problem for us.

We also use HPE Nimble. This solution scales much better. That said, it is a bit more complex to implement when you compare it to Nimble.

There are two different classes in our design. We put more critical applications on Pure due to its stability and resilience. Less important or less critical applications or servers are on Nimble. However, the capacity of Nimble is far larger than Pure Storage.

The initial setup is more complex than the Nimble. Mostly the configurations must be done by the Pure engine at the back end.

It took two or three weeks to deploy the solution.

You only need one person to deploy and maintain the solution.

We handled the initial setup by ourselves. We did not need any outside assistance from any integrators or consultants.

With Pure Storage, we buy the array and then all the features can be enabled on that.

It is more expensive than Nimble. The price is likely double Nimble's.

You do not have to pay for any extra features or add-ons. Everything is included.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer.

We use the Pure Array X model with a version of Purity 5. Recently, we bought the Pure C series.

We use it with a private cloud and on-premises as well.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Manager, Enterprise Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to administer with good performance and great stability
  • "Technical support is good."
  • "Beyond a certain amount of petabytes, you have to have a separate system. Basically, it's not infinitely scalable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for storage.

What is most valuable?

The administration is very easy and quite minimal.

The performance is very good.

The installation is pretty straightforward.

Technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

Beyond a certain amount of petabytes, you have to have a separate system. Basically, it's not infinitely scalable.

We've been using the solution in two places. We have used it in Washington for six months and London for six months as well.

We have found the solution to be stable. We've not had any performance issues and not have any stability issues with it. The performance is good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable to an extent. Its deduplication ratio is quite good. You don't actually always need the full amount of physical storage, as opposed to the deduplicating amount of space.

Its scalability beyond a certain amount of petabytes makes it so that it is a separate system if you scale to that much storage. If you're a normal enterprise where you don't scale that much, it's fine. The X90 goes beyond a certain amount, and you have to have a new system that works as a separate system.

Across two locations, we have about 800 people.

From the feedback I've gotten, for the most part, the technical support has been quite good. They know their product quite well and they've been quite responsive. We are satisfied with the support.

We previously used EMC VNX.

The solution is pretty straightforward. It's not too complex or difficult.

I haven't personally deployed it, however, from the team's feedback, they had very little issues with regards to the deployment and bringing it up and then setting up. The deployment was within days or a week at a maximum. That was for the migration time. For migrating from the old storage to new, it might take a while, however, in terms of getting it up and running, it was days. It didn't take that long at all.

It's easy enough that the normal system administrators can take care of the storage. There's no one dedicated to managing the storage and it's not that complicated that it needs someone dedicated just to manage it all.

You do have a license that is required and you also have to pay for support.

The license we have is not a monthly subscription model.

For London and Washington, we had EMC VNX. At the time we were transitioning from the EMC to a mid-tier flash storage, and they didn't have anything in the market. We did look at others. We looked at the Nimble from HPE. When we were looking to purchase, EMC just came out with EMC FlashSystem. We didn't get to the IBM FlashSystem.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user.

We are using the latest version of the solution at this time.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Pure Storage FlashArray
July 2022
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RESC - PeerSpot reviewer
Storage Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is easy to install, scalable, stable, and has great technical support
  • "Processes that used to take 40 minutes to two hours can be completed in five minutes."
  • "CIFS and SMB Shares cannot be mounted directly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Pure Storage FlashArray for machine learning, storage, backups, and computing.

How has it helped my organization?

After installing Pure, the processes that would take 40 minutes to two hours to complete are now done in five minutes.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to install.

The stability and scalability are awesome.

The technical support is awesome as well.

Also, we can use more capacity and pay less.

What needs improvement?

I think the areas that they have been working on for quite some time are the CIFS and SMB Shares, that is, being able to mount them directly. I think they're on the right track.

One wish I have is that they will have a solution to help archive data to the cloud, that is, a Cloud Tiering Appliance.

I've been working with it since 2016.

The stability of the solution is awesome too.

The scalability of the solution is awesome. You have the opportunity to grow as needed.

The entire company uses this solution, so that would be close to 2100 people.

It is very extensively used, and we are continuing to expand.

Technical support has been awesome. Sometimes, they've let us know about problems before we've even known that they were there.

We previously used an EMC Array.

We switched because the response time went from a few hours to minutes.

The other piece was the amount of space that we were able to use because of the duplication and compression built in the unit. We can use more capacity and pay less.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The deployment took a couple of hours.

We did a PoC with the product and checked to make sure that it worked in our environment.

We have a group of about 6 to 10 people managing the system.

When we bought the unit, we bought per capacity. So, the licensing is per capacity, and the only thing that we have to buy every year or every three years is maintenance. Included in that maintenance is the upgrade of the controllers every three years at no cost to us.

We evaluated NetApp, Kaminario, EMC XtremIO, Tintri, and Nutanix.

We used scalability, support, the evergreen model, the cost per terabyte or per gigabyte, and the footprint as the factors for comparison. We also looked at how they are able to provide support globally, not only here in the US but also overseas.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you do a PoC to ensure that it works according to the needs of the company, and that will help prevent a lot of headaches.

I think it's a very complete solution at this point, and I would rate it at ten on a scale from one to ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
GIDC India - Architecture Design and Engineering Leader at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, quick to upgrade, and reliable
  • "The code upgrades are very smooth."
  • "Pure Storage support could be a little better."

What is most valuable?

Pure Storage has been the go-to storage array for me. It's a lot smaller, easier to set up, faster to upgrade, and more reliable.

The performance is very stable. This is something which I don't get out of a solution such as, for example, 3PAR.

The code upgrades are very smooth. They're actually all tracking their vulnerabilities. As a customer, Pure Storage gives sufficient time to the customer to showcase the new features and to say this is how to go about going over to the upgrade, and so on. We are quite prepared. We can schedule ahead and be ready for these things. That's something which I like - the selective approach - and everything is on the cloud which helps Pure reach out to their customers and gives these new features.

Its ability to use multiple services such as the file services, the block services, backup, fast backups, lightning backup, and so on, is great. These features are something that StoreServ or HP doesn't have. They have multiple products for that. Pure tries to bundle them together. That's something which I really like. It reduces the footprint and helps me sell this a lot more to the customer.

What needs improvement?

Pure Storage support could be a little better.

The pricing can be a bit high.

In general, I'm quite satisfied with what product they have on offer, and what new features are being released.

I've used the solution for a while.

The stability is good. The performance on offer is excellent. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Technical support needs improvement.

With respect to them being able to respond, they're more marketing people, less technical. Some of these technical SMEs who I've worked with on Pure Storage, they're really good. However, overall, some accounts still have that thing in their mind that the support isn't as great as some of the bigger companies like Dell or HPE.

That said, that's not the experience for me.

I've also used 3PAR. Performance on Pure Storage is a lot faster than 3PAR.

The initial setup is easy. It's also quick to upgrade. A company shouldn't have issues with the process.

They're okay with the pricing. They're expensive compared to some of the hyperscalers today. When it comes to a private cloud, enterprise-class, where we're looking at highly encrypted, high-performance, highly reliable systems. I might not go with Pure. If I can go with the data center class, I can go with Pure Storage. For enterprise-class, I would still lean back to Hitachi or Dell.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners.

Most of my accounts have multiple storage arrays, and Pure Storage always happened to be one of them.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're pretty happy with it overall.

KYC Quality Assurance at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Quick and responsive performance, good compression and deduplication features, responsive support
  • "The compression and deduplication features help to make the best use of the capacity."
  • "The system has dual controllers but does not have a high level of resiliency built-in."

What is our primary use case?

This product is for database usage and consolidating performance.

How has it helped my organization?

The Pure Storage FlashArray provides us with faster data access. Our processing time is faster for tasks that used to take a long time before. Now, it's a lot quicker and more responsive.

What is most valuable?

The low latency and the performance, in general, are very good.

Replication and active-active features are available.

What needs improvement?

The system has dual controllers but does not have a high level of resiliency built-in. For what the peak says, I'm very happy with it. However, if you compare it to similar devices with multiple controllers that are scaled-out, it's not a true active-active.

I have been using Pure Storage FlashArray for approximately one year.

Over the past year that we have been using it, the stability has been good. That said, we're still testing it. It is very low maintenance; on the Pure side, they don't have much involvement apart from a bit of monitoring.

We've not had to increase the capacity yet but it does have the flexibility to scale if we need to. At this point, we have 25,000 end-users and we don't expect that to increase. Our user base is fairly static.

We have been in contact with technical support a couple of times. They are quick to respond and we are very happy with the customer support team.

The support plan makes it simple to plan ahead.

We have used other flash arrays in the past.

This initial setup is very straightforward. A couple of hours on-site is all that was needed for the engineer to complete it. It took that long to make sure that everything was in place and available.

Overall, it is very simple.

For the deployment, we didn't need many people but we do have a wider storage team that deals with it.

Installation was included with the purchase. We didn't do it ourselves.

There are no licensing fees aside from the support. The support plan is simple and quite easy to understand, and it covers issues such as hardware failures.

We evaluated all of the options that were presented to us at the time, and Pure won.

What other advice do I have?

Feature-wise, there's nothing specific that is lacking for us at the moment. The features that are there now are really what we need.

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it.

Technical Consultant at Injazat Data Systems
MSP
Has a unique shutdown process, high availability, and is user-friendly
  • "FlashArray has many valuable features. It's very user-friendly and it has high availability, so there is comparatively less downtime. During maintenance, there is no shutdown procedure, so you can directly power off the Array and manage the shutdown process without any data loss, which is a unique feature. Managing replication and data migration is also very easy."
  • "FlashArray's capacity for forecasting should be improved because it needs to be a bit more current. I think it's bundled with the deduplication and other compression factors. We need more user interfaces for forecasting in this software and more interfaces need to be integrated with this array management tool."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is array management.

What is most valuable?

FlashArray has many valuable features. It's very user-friendly and it has high availability, so there is comparatively less downtime. During maintenance, there is no shutdown procedure, so you can directly power off the Array and manage the shutdown process without any data loss, which is a unique feature. Managing replication and data migration is also very easy.

What needs improvement?

FlashArray's capacity for forecasting should be improved because it needs to be a bit more current. I think it's bundled with the deduplication and other compression factors. We need more user interfaces for forecasting in this software and more interfaces need to be integrated with this array management tool.

I have been working with FlashArray for the past two years.

Compared to other products, this solution is more stable. We haven't had any performance issues. Oracle RAC and most of the Microsoft applications perform well on the block storage.

This solution is easy to scale.

FlashArray is best suited to a large company. We provide any kind of hosting service in our region, so we have multiple customers hosted in our data center. The environment is large and we have more than 25 different customers and terabytes of data.

I'm satisfied with the support. Comparatively, it matches with Windows. I don't see any difference in the levels of technical support.

The initial configuration, the base configuration, is really simple. Compared to other products, it's really easy. The racking and stacking will take time, but that has more to do with the data center operations, not specifically the Pure Storage configuration. I'll say this: once the base configuration of the storage array is connected with those cables, once the IP is assigned, the setup process won't take long. It won't take more than 30 to 45 minutes to complete the base configuration, and then it will be ready for provisioning the contract data.

We implemented through an in-house team. We are the service providers in this region, so we did it ourselves. We only engage vendors and their local partners if there is any hardware issue or hardware replacement we need delivered.

I think that the pricing is less expensive compared to other standard products in the market today. Even the support contract and maintenance services cost less when compared to market-leading products like EMC.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I would recommend it. I rate it an eight out of ten.

Soporte TI at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up and deploy with a good user interface
  • "Support has been helpful."
  • "We would like to be able to connect to data tape for backup, specifically to the LTO backups."

What is most valuable?

The experience has been very good so far for the company. It's very fast and it's very easy to configure the storage.

It's very efficient.

The snapshot feature is great. It's very easy to apply. You can see present error applications by going back using snapshot. It's very good for the company.

We haven't had any problems with it in the time we've used it.

I like the user interface.

Support has been helpful.

We have no issues with pricing.

Integration is easy.

The initial setup is simple. It's easy to deploy using the whitepapers on offer.

The compression is quite good compared to other options.

What needs improvement?

We would like to be able to connect to data tape for backup, specifically to the LTO backups.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The stability is good and we haven't had any issues with it. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is possible. It's pretty simple to just add more storage as needed. We plan to do so next year. Our impression is that it will be an easy process.

We have about 2,000 users at this time. It may even be as high as 10,000 when you factor in academic users.

Technical support has been good. We haven't had any issues so far with them. We are satisfied with the level of service.

In the past, we had an IBM storage device, however, when we compare this old storage with the Flash Pure, it's just so much better.

The initial setup is very simple. We have experience in using the storage and using the new Flash Pure Storage is even easier. It's quite an intuitive solution, which makes the setup process a breeze.

It takes about six months to move from old to new storage.

There are seven people on half that can handle the deployment process.

Our organization did use an IT consultant to assist us with the implementation.

The pricing is okay. We pay to license on a yearly basis. It's just a standard fee with no extra costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are a user and a customer.

While right now we are using an on-premises deployment, we likely will move to the cloud.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

MTS - Core IP Engineering at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Provides ease of management, reduces provisioning time, and is straightforward to deploy
  • "The availability and ease of use are the big features."
  • "Larger capacity and more storage ports would be the two things I'd like to see."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for block storage workloads. We don't use a lot of the features on it.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced provisioning time. There is ease of management.

What is most valuable?

The availability and ease of use are the big features.

What needs improvement?

Larger capacity and more storage ports would be the two things I'd like to see.

I have been working with this solution for about three years.

It has been really stable.

That's the only feature that isn't as good. It doesn't scale as large as some of the competitors, but they have started to make them bigger.

We probably have a dozen or so admins who use it, including me. I take care of its maintenance. It is pretty light in terms of maintenance.

It is being used extensively. We'll be increasing its usage. I'm on the networking side. Our IT group is a pretty heavy user too. Both of us will be increasing its usage, but their scale is a little bit bigger than ours.

I would rate them really high. On a scale of one to five, I'd give them a four.

Dell EMC and NetApp would be the two big ones that we used before. We switched because of the cost and the ease of use. Those are the two big ones. In terms of the cost, a lot of it was just introducing a second vendor.

Its setup was really straightforward. It took about half a day. It is pretty quick. All the cabling and facility stuff is usually the longest part.

We had the vendor do most of it. It is like a team, and there is usually one installer guy. Our experience with them was great. Our account team with them is really good.

What other advice do I have?

Its setup is easier than you think. It is a pretty straightforward deployment.

They have been correcting a couple of things. One of them was that they didn't really scale that large. So, we had to deploy a lot of arrays. They have started to make them bigger now. In addition, until recently, they didn't do a file on the FlashArray. Now, you can share files on it. They recently implemented that, but we haven't tried it yet.

I would rate it a nine out of 10. It does everything we wanted to do.

Download our free Pure Storage FlashArray Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022