IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Effort Moyo - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Services Manager at ProComm technologies
Helpful SD-WAN feature for uptime and privatizing applications, but needs better stability and integration
  • "The SD-WAN feature is the most valuable. This feature evolved from link load balancing. It has helped us in terms of our uptime and privatizing applications whenever we experience an outage. The SD-WAN feature has been a plus for us. Two-factor authentication has allowed us to add more users in terms of remote working. We have two-factor authentication for remote workers to authenticate them before they get on the network."
  • "It should be more stable. There should be full integration within Fortinet products themselves as well as with other third-party products. Especially when you're not dealing with SIEM and the correlation of the security box, we want Fortinet to be able to share that information with as many other products as it can."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it as an edge or a perimeter firewall. We have also used it to segment our LAN in terms of the endpoints and the servers, and we're also using it for remote access using SSL VPN. We have two other sites that we connect through FortiGate by using an IPSec, and we have integrated it with FortiAuthenticator for two-factor authentication and FortiAnalyzer to analyze logs and things like that. We are currently using the FortiGate 1200D series and running the latest software.

What is most valuable?

The SD-WAN feature is the most valuable. This feature evolved from link load balancing. It has helped us in terms of our uptime and privatizing applications whenever we experience an outage. The SD-WAN feature has been a plus for us.  Two-factor authentication has allowed us to add more users in terms of remote working. We have two-factor authentication for remote workers to authenticate them before they get on the network.

What needs improvement?

It should be more stable. There should be full integration within Fortinet products themselves as well as with other third-party products. Especially when you're not dealing with SIEM and the correlation of the security box, we want Fortinet to be able to share that information with as many other products as it can.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for four years.
Fortinet FortiGate
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In terms of stability, I would rate it a seven out of ten. It should be more stable. Sometimes when you do firmware upgrades, a feature that was previously working is broken. There are things like that, but I guess that can be taken care of by reading the release notes and seeing what changed in the firmware upgrades.

It is highly scalable. A customer had about 500 users.

The installation was straightforward.

We deployed it ourselves. You just need one engineer for its deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

We are skilled in Fortinet and Check Point. For customers who specifically want Fortinet, we will continue to provide this solution. Our first preference is Check Point, but if a customer insists on Fortinet, then we can do a lot of integration there and incorporate other products like FortiNAC, FortiWifi, and so on. I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Fortinet FortiGate a seven out of ten.

Branch Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
User-friendly with an easy setup and a good user interface
  • "The initial installation is very straightforward."
  • "There are some cloud-based features that could be much more flexible than they currently are."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network security and security next-generation firewalls.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite user-friendly.

We find that the system interface is simple to navigate.

The initial installation is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It's my understanding that they are currently working on improving the cloud solution quite substantially.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't have bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We find the solution to be quite scalable. If your organization needs to expand this solution out, you shouldn't have any problems doing so.

We have two or three different locations and have between 50 to 200 users amongst those locations.

The technical support is very good.

Most of the time, whenever a ticket is opened and we reach out to support on behalf of our customers, they offer good advice and are very responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service we're provided.

The implementation is not complex. It's very straightforward to set up and does not take a lot of time to deploy everything.

That said, I did not handle the implementation myself, so I can't speak to more technical aspects of the job.

We had four or five resources that assist in network security and they all helped with the deployment.

I don't handle the pricing side of the product and therefore can't speak to anything in regards to the licensing or costs.

What other advice do I have?

Although we largely handle on-premises deployment models, we have suggested cloud versions to our clients recently.

We are a solution-providing company, and we are offering products to our customers.

Although we really enjoy the solution, there's a lot of very interesting competition in the market. The competition is huge. As a partner of the product, we get a lot of questions we have to answer, and, to be honest, this solution isn't as strong in some areas as others.

That said, we would recommend the solution to others.

Overall, I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Fortinet FortiGate
July 2022
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Founder / Principal at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
The hardware is reliable, and it provides best performance per dollar spent and ease of licensing and management
  • "It increases security posture and is helpful for firewall reporting, intrusion protection, web filtering, and SD-WAN implementation."
  • "The cloud management and automation capability could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We're a Fortinet partner and reseller. We work with FortiGate models 40 through 600, and our customers have hybrid and on-prem deployments. The cloud providers are Microsoft Azure and Wasabi.

Its use cases are related to increasing the security posture, SD-WAN implementation, simplified management and licensing, and cost savings.

What is most valuable?

It increases security posture and is helpful for firewall reporting, intrusion protection, web filtering, and SD-WAN implementation.

The hardware is reliable. There are no surprises in terms of performance or add-on pricing.

What needs improvement?

The cloud management and automation capability could be improved.

I have been working with this solution for six years.

Its stability is excellent.

Its scalability is very good. There are 100 to 3,000 users, and they are knowledge workers with different roles, such as engineers, lawyers, accountants, etc.

Their technical support is very good. I would rate them a four out of five.

Most of the customers replaced Cisco.

It is straightforward for someone with Fortinet experience. If you don't know anything about Fortinet, you can take it out of the box and plug it in.

Its deployment is usually on a location-by-location basis. Each location often takes one day for the implementation of a new data service. One person is usually enough for its deployment and maintenance.

I don't know the numbers, but it typically results in a 20% to 30% reduction in data communications costs.

Fortinet costs are 25% lower than the high-cost provider. There is an equipment cost and a recurring monthly cost for licenses and technical support.

Most of the customers look at Cisco, Cisco Meraki, Palo Alto, and Fortinet. They go with Fortinet because of the best performance per dollar spent and ease of licensing and management.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise sizing the equipment appropriately to support future growth. You should look for a four to six-year life of a server. You should compare vendors for price versus performance, ease of management, ease of use, and completeness of features.

I would rate it a nine out of 10. We've had a good experience with it. There were no surprises.

Network Administrator at Hellenic National Meteorological Service
Useful web filtering, beneficial remote access, and straightforward setup
  • "The most valuable features of Fortinet FortiGate are remote access, web filtering, and IPS."
  • "Fortinet FortiGate could improve by having more capabilities for troubleshooting VPN connections. For example, I do get some feedback about the current status, but I could use some history and logging of important events. The information is logged in our Syslog server, but I could use that information from the device. If they could provide a GUI to have some more insight on what's going with my VPN would be useful."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Fortinet FortiGate as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Fortinet FortiGate are remote access, web filtering, and IPS.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiGate could improve by having more capabilities for troubleshooting VPN connections. For example, I do get some feedback about the current status, but I could use some history and logging of important events. The information is logged in our Syslog server, but I could use that information from the device. If they could provide a GUI to have some more insight on what's going with my VPN would be useful.

The way Fortinet FortiGate handles the phase two connection of a VPN setup could be better. For example, if I have to make a phase two traffic selector input, I cannot add more ports. For example, on a specific IP address pair, if I have an IP address pair source and destination, then I can only add one port. I'm not sure if I can do that through the command line, but on the GUI, I cannot, and this is a problem. I have to select another IP address pair to allow another port and this means new traffic selectors and a new set of tunnels. This causes more tunnels to need troubleshooting.

I would like to be able to pass more diverse information through the same tunnel, and it doesn't seem to be possible if you want to limit the traffic through the tunnel and not allow all protocols between the same IP address pair. If we want to limit the ports, then I find there is a problem.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately a year and a half.

We have a contract with a Fortinet partner, and they're very good at providing support. We don't have the communication directly with Fortinet.

I have previously used a Cisco firewall, the 5520 model. It was not a next-generation firewall and did not have IPS integrated, and it was quite difficult to manage and to find features and implement them. Fortinet FortiGate is very good at this.

The initial setup of Fortinet FortiGate is straightforward.

I do not have first-hand experience with the rice of Fortinet FortiGate, but I have heard the price was reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Fortinet FortiGate a ten out of ten.

Service Delivery Engineer - Network Security Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Integrates smoothly, scales well, and high-quality features
  • "The solution is highly scalable because they have devices that can handle a large amount of traffic."
  • "The solution could have licensing fees reduced in the future."

What is most valuable?

When trying to move from MPLS to SD-WAN they have a very good SD-WAN offering.

The solution integrates well.

It has high-quality security features.

It provides a full end-to-end security suite.

The security of the solution is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution could have licensing fees reduced in the future.

I have been using the solution for 5 years.

It is not common for the solution to become unstable, but it does happen. The good thing is, they constantly release updates. If the version you are using has a bug, in the next version it definitely will be fixed.

The solution is highly scalable because they have devices that can handle a large amount of traffic. The VM version with the hardware appliances is widely scalable. It can handle small businesses to large scale enterprises. In terms of mode of deployment, you have VM, hardware appliance, and cloud. There is cloud management as well that is scalable. It can suit a number of deployment scenarios.

We currently have 50 employees using the solution, some of our clients that have deployed it has 1000 users and it has not given a problem.

The customer service was very fast to respond to our needs.

The installation is not difficult but there is a learning curve, it becomes easy over time.

The basic installation took approximately two days. A more complicated scenario can take even up to two weeks. Depending on the options that you are looking for, there are many things you can consider. If you are looking at a complex design then you are going to take more time.

I did the deployments myself with one other technician.

The pricing of the solution is very competitive. The license price can vary depending on the product you have and the different types of licenses you need. For example, they have an enterprise and UTM license. It depends on the type of license and the size of the company.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet has a product that can cater to any area of the security market. For example, application firewall and authentication products.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate a nine out of ten.

Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good pricing with very good threat and content filtering switches
  • "The solution has very good threat and content filtering switches."
  • "It's my understanding that more of the current generation features could be brought in. There could be more integration with EDRs, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We have used the solution as a perimeter firewall. We are using it as an anti-ATP solution also.

What is most valuable?

The firewall features are pretty good.

The solution has very good threat and content filtering switches.

The initial installation is fairly easy.

What needs improvement?

I'm from the sales side and therefore I wouldn't really know if there are features that are lacking.

I've been using the solution for two or three years. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is stable. It doesn't have any issues with bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash and freeze. It's very reliable.

Since we are integrators, this product gets sold to people who have a minimum 25 and up to 600 users.

At the moment, we don't plan to increase usage.

The technical support is very good. We're satisfied with their level of support. They are quite responsive and knowledgeable.

We were previously using Sophos and Watchguard.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty much a straightforward implementation. There aren't really any surprises.

The length of deployment differs based on the kind of policies a client would like to implement. If they are very simple policies, then there isn't a lot of work to worry about. However, if there are complex policies or multiple policies, it does take some time to get things up and running.

I didn't handle the installation personally, as I am in sales.

We have three or four people in our organization who handle maintenance.

We have a systems integrator in-house that handles the deployment.

The solution isn't too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're integrators. We help our clients with this solution.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend this solution to other users.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator.
NomanSaleem - PeerSpot reviewer
IT & PPN Coordinator at a manufacturing company
Highly rated, easy to manage, and pretty easy to set up
  • "The solution is very easy to understand. It's not overly complex."
  • "The solution needs to improve its integration with cybersecurity."

What is our primary use case?

Our organization has 45 branches. We use the Fortigate 200 models at our data centers and have centralized connectivity between our different branches and our data centers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to understand. It's not overly complex.

The product is user-friendly and easy to manage.

Fortigate overall has a very high security rating in Gartner. We feel safe under their security features. It has extended options as well, if you would like even more security for your organization.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its integration with cybersecurity. While in general, it's pretty good, this is always a concern as the landscape shifts constantly. They need to ensure they stay on top of things so that their security and integrations stay constantly up to date in order to protect our company.

We've been using the solution for seven to eight years. It's been quite a while. We have lots of experience with it.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have issues with the product freezing or crashing. We don't deal with glitches or bugs or anything of that nature.

The solution can scale if you need it to. That's not a problem at all.

We do plan on continuing to use the service going forward.

The solution overall is very easy to understand. Therefore, the initial setup is not complex. It's straightforward. Even the configurations are good. An organization shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

How long it takes to deploy depends on  what you want to configure on a firewall. It depends on the policies being implemented. That definitely takes time depending on the company and what is being done. If you are familiar with all features and all the steps regarding how to create a policy and how to implement a policy, it is pretty easy and won't take too long.

I've handled the initial implementation myself many times. I don't necessarily need any outside assistance.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would recommend this solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten. We've enjoyed using the product and we appreciate its security features.

Deputy Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good stability and fair pricing with an easy initial setup
  • "The customization potential is quite impressive."
  • "The ease of use could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the firewall for the most part. It's to help us with security on our network.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a very good set of rules.

The customization potential is quite impressive. It can be customized based on our licensing contracts.

The initial setup was pretty simple. We didn't find it to be overly difficult to execute on.

Technical support is rather helpful.

We find the stability to be pretty good.

We didn't have any trouble setting up the solution.

We find the pricing to be fairly good.

What needs improvement?

The ease of use could be improved.

We've been using the solution for about five years. We have been continuously working with FortiGate itself throughout that time. It's been a while.

So far, the stability has been pretty good for us. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I'd describe the stability as reliable.

I can't really speak to the scalability of the solution, as it isn't as aspect I handle. I've never tried to do it, so I'm not sure how it works.

We have about 50 users on the solution. About one third have access to it.

We only really had one issue in the past where we had to deal with technical support. We needed some restoration of some data. It wasn't a bad experience. We were satisfied with their level of service. They seem to be knowledgeable and responsive.

In terms of the initial setup, the process was not complex at all. We found it to be very straightforward and easy. We didn't run into any issues setting everything up.

We have one engineer that handles ongoing maintenance for us when we need it.

The pricing is fair. I don't feel that it is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I've been good with using Fortinet. It's a fine tool.

Overall, I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

I would rate it a nine on a scale from one to ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022