IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Raphael Haroun  Ikyagh - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Security solution that protects our internal network, but it could be more secure
  • "Initial setup is straightforward. There weren't too many issues with setting it up. It takes one hour or so."
  • "The solution could be more secure and stable."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for security and to protect our internal network from the internet. This solution is deployed on-premise. My company has 300 people at HQ. We have about 60 users in practice and 10-15 users per branch.

What is most valuable?

I am satisfied with the solution for now.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure and stable.

I have been using Fortinet for over four years.
Fortinet FortiGate
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Stability could be improved.

It's scalable. It's an SD-WAN application, so on every site we have a FortiGate firewall there.

I think there is a third-party vendor that is helping with technical support.

I have not been exposed to working with any other firewall except the FortiGate. At one point, our network was strictly on Cisco routers and switches. At that time, I was not exposed to having access to the security aspect of that, so I couldn't say which devices would be used for protection.

We used a consultant.

You need to pay a license for this solution. Our licensing is now done in our subsidiary.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10. Compared to Cisco, I think the Cisco routers are actually more stable.

Fraud Risk Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and scalable product that provides protection against internal and external threats
  • "Fortinet FortiGate protects against internet-based threats, both internal and external. It is scalable, stable, easy to use, and easy to install."
  • "This product needs to have an analysis feature, rather than having the analysis done through the integration of a different product."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate for the internet, particularly to provide protection against internal and external threats.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable from Fortinet FortiGate is that it gave us better protection against internet-based threats. Aside from giving us good protection, it is also easy to use, and it's fully automated.

What needs improvement?

An additional feature I'm expecting from Fortinet FortiGate is for it to have an analysis feature, rather than having the analysis done via integration with a different product.

We have been using Fortinet FortiGate for six years.

I found Fortinet FortiGate to be a stable product.

Fortinet FortiGate is a scalable product.

I had issues with Fortinet FortiGate more than three years ago, and I opened a support ticket, and we were able to solve the issues. The support for this product was fast.

The installation process for Fortinet FortiGate was very easy. Installation was done by one technician, e.g. one technician was enough.

This product was implemented by a Fortinet partner.

What other advice do I have?

We've been using this version of Fortinet FortiGate: 300E. I also have experience with Fortinet FortiAnalyzer.

We have one technician in charge of the installation, and one manager in charge of managing this product. We have 500 users of Fortinet FortiGate, and we currently have no plans of increasing the number of users.

My recommendation to people looking into implementing this product is that they should use Fortinet FortiAnalyzer with Fortinet FortiGate to analyze the traffic.

My rating for Fortinet FortiGate is nine out of ten.

Fortinet FortiGate
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EranjayaKumarasiri - PeerSpot reviewer
Security Engineer at Eguardian lanka
Reseller
Initial implementation straightforward, helpful support, and scalable
  • "The scalability of Fortinet FortiGate is good."
  • "The reporting in Fortinet FortiGate could improve. Customers are having to purchase additional reporting components. When I have used the Sophos solution it is a complete solution, in Fortinet FortiGate you have to use additional tools to have the features needed."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate as a network firewall.

What needs improvement?

The reporting in Fortinet FortiGate could improve. Customers are having to purchase additional reporting components. in  Fortinet FortiGate you have to use additional tools to have the features needed.

We need to use FortiAuthenticator to have additional bandwidth. Fortinet should include more features in the solution instead of having separate tools.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately three years.

Fortinet FortiGate is a stable solution from my experience.

The scalability of Fortinet FortiGate is good.

The technical support from Fortinet FortiGate is 24 hours a day seven days a week, and 365 days a year. The support is good from Fortinet, and local distributor partner support has been helpful, we highly recommend them.

I have previously used pfSense, Sophos Firewall, and other endpoint solutions.

The initial implementation of Fortinet FortiGate is not complex because the GUI environment is easy to use. We can do a lot of things in the GUI. If the configurations engineer, network administrator, or network engineer has knowledge about firewalls, the process will not be complex. It can easily be managed.

The price of Fortinet FortiGate when compared to other solutions is high. However, my knowledge of the price is from third parties and I am not sure how accurate it is. I typically work in the technical area of my organization.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Fortinet FortiGate a nine out of ten.

System Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Plenty of features, good quality hardware, and reliable
  • "There are lots of features and most of them are deployed for internet security. Users are protected if they accidentally go to some malicious sites."
  • "The way everything is set up could be easier. Currently, people need a lot of experience and knowledge to administer it and to link it to devices."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is recommended for medium-sized and enterprise businesses that want their sensitive information secured.

What is most valuable?

There are lots of features and most of them are deployed for internet security. Users are protected if they accidentally go to some malicious sites.

What needs improvement?

The way everything is set up could be easier. Currently, people need a lot of experience and knowledge to administer it and to link it to devices.

I have been using the solution for approximately four years.

The solution is very reliable.

My colleagues have easily switched licenses and features for the device. There was not any complication, it was really intuitive.

Technical support agents are really responsive. They are a small company, but they are providing high-quality technical support every time we contact them.

The initial set up is complicated.

The price for the device and software is high. However, the solution is of good quality and has a lot of features. Licensing is on a yearly basis, it can also be purchased for a couple of years ahead. For example, for a single year or three years. If you purchase a license for a longer period you receive a discount or some type of credit.

What other advice do I have?

We are recommending this solution to help increase the possibilities of securing internal systems of companies against intrusions.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten.

Infrastructure Engineer at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
Simple to use, has less complications and is very straightforward
  • "Their interface is very easy to use, it is without bugs."
  • "Fortinet Fortigate could benefit by simplifying some of their processes."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiGate is a firewall that protects your assets and data. We have 15 people using this solution. I am an infrastructure engineer. We require 3 people to maintain the solution.

What is most valuable?

What I like about this solution is that it is simple to use, has less complications and is very straightforward. Their interface is very easy to use, it is without bugs.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet Fortigate could benefit by simplifying some of their processes. For example, if you are using Cisco, and you want to find a source and a destination, you type the IP of the source and then the IP of the destination. Cisco will find any denied packet by highlighting it in yellow.  To access it with Cisco, all you need to do is right click. FortiGate is not that simple.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately 4 months. I am taking a course regarding this solution.

We had been using Cisco and Firepower prior to FortiGate. FortiGate is easier to use. We encountered a lot of problems when we integrated Firepower on Cisco devices.

The initial setup of Fortinet FortiGate is very straightforward. I would give it a 5 out 5 on ease of setup.

Currently, we have not added licenses for all the features we want. For example, we do not have intrusion prevention and detection.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Fortinet FortiGate, it is a good firewall, especially for beginners because of its ease of use.

I would rate the solution an 8 out 10.

Private Cloud
Shaik Sayeed - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Solutions Manager at UBG
Beneficial user interface, provides multiple engines, and high availability
  • "The most useful functionality of Fortinet FortiGate is the user interface, multiple engines, and their cloud with the latest integrations. Additionally, the Security Fabric tool is very good."
  • "Fortinet FortiGate can improve by integrating the web application firewall and the DDoS protection part of the solution. Having a WAF feature, web application firewall, and proxy together would be a good benefit."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiGate can be deployed on the cloud, hybrid, and on-premise. We use a combination of private and hybrid for the deployment.

We are using Fortinet FortiGate for parameter security, network isolation, and web filtering.

What is most valuable?

The most useful functionality of Fortinet FortiGate is the user interface, multiple engines, and their cloud with the latest integrations. Additionally, the Security Fabric tool is very good.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiGate can improve by integrating the web application firewall and the DDoS protection part of the solution. Having a WAF feature, web application firewall, and proxy together would be a good benefit.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately five years.

Fortinet FortiGate is highly stable. It has high availability.

The scalability of Fortinet FortiGate is very good.

We have customers with 1,000 users using this solution and others with 100.

Engineers use this solution and all the end-users are connected to it. The whole organization is using the solution.

The technical support is very helpful. We had a very good experience with them.

The initial installation is straightforward, and the full process takes one to two days.

We have our own team that does the implementation of the solution.

The support subscription for the solution is annual. You are paying for support and there are two levels of support, professional and advanced.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Fortinet FortiGate a nine out of ten.

System ADM at a recreational facilities/services company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, with a quota to monitor and control user access

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our Firewall.

FortiGate is a service, and because of that, I don't use it very much. The equipment is for the operator that monitors who is on the internet, nothing more.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our productivity because we can control the people who go on the internet, and we control their access to social networks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is Quota. It allows the user to go where they want to go and to use the internet.

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved.

In the next release, I would like to see the interface simplified to be more user-friendly.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately six years.

It's a stable solution. It works for us.

This is not an area fully explored. It has been sufficient for what we need.

We have 700 users in our organization who are using this solution. We don't have plans to increase our usage at this time.

We have not needed any technical support for the Fortinet FortiGate service.

The initial set up was not something that I was concerned with.

The price could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool to control users.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten.

Thameem Ansari - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior solution architect at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Flexible to use and easy to set up
  • "It is very flexible to use."
  • "It is stable, but its stability can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The typical next-generation firewall use case is to restrict access to the users by using a firewall.

What is most valuable?

It is very flexible to use.

What needs improvement?

It is stable, but its stability can be improved.

I have been using this solution for maybe four or five years.

Its stability is just okay. It should be better.

The scalability of the device is limited.

Technical support is okay. They could be more knowledgeable and faster.

I was using Sophos. We switched because it was very unstable in terms of both software and hardware. I found a lot of vulnerabilities. Even though they provide a lot of features for a minimum cost, these features don't do what they are supposed to do.

The initial setup was easy. The deployment duration depends on the situation. I have done the installation in one to three days.

I installed it myself. You just need one technical guy to maintain and manage the firewall. It is a small product for 200 to 500 users.

It has a competitive price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to continue using it. Even though it has a few stability issues, its price is competitive.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022