Vandy Va - PeerSpot reviewer
Head Of IT Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has a good payment function for applications but configuring and management is not easy
  • "The payment function for applications is good."
  • "Difficult to add or define, and not that easy to configure and manage."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a data center firewall. I've been using Fortigate but I'm also currently evaluating Cisco and Check Point. We are customers of Fortinet and I'm in IT infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

I like the payment function for applications.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to add or define, and it's not that easy to configure and manage. We're looking for something more flexible for the long term. I also find that the performance is limited in comparison to other solutions.

I've been using this solution for three years.

Fortinet FortiGate
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product is stable.

The solution is scalable but when you do scale, it limits the performance. We have over 1,000 users in our company and four people who deal with the maintenance of all our solutions.

Technical support is acceptable, and they're good in terms of local support and global support. If they cannot resolve the issue they will pass us to another level of support.

I previously had experience with CheckPoint, Cisco, and Palo Alto. I would rate Palo Alto as the best firewall in the world.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward.

This product could be a little cheaper although compared to other similar solutions, it's more reasonably priced.

Ali ALI - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager Traditional Channels at FrieslandCampina
Reasonably priced, but the scalability has limitations, and is unreliable
  • "The interface is very good."
  • "Performance and technical support are the main issues with this solution."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiGate is being used in our company.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

There are limited features.

Scalability could be improved.

The issues with the IOS are that they occasionally hang. They are not as reliable as they once were.

When there is an issue with IOS, new updates are introduced, but the updates also have a lot of issues.

Performance and technical support are the main issues with this solution.

When compared to Cisco ISE, the device administration is not very good.

Fortinet is not very good at firewalls when compared to Cisco. Cisco offers full administration control, TripleA, SQT, they use TACACS security protocols, and they have much more control. Cisco's approach is superior.

I have been working with Fortinet FortiGate for four or five years.

This year, we're removing the Fortinet and switching to Cisco ISE to cut security.

There are issues with the stability of this solution.

There are limitations to scalability.

When compared with Cisco, the technical support is not very impressive.

The initial setup is very easy. It is not complex.

When compared to Cisco, it is very easy.

Pricing is lower than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet FortiGate is not a bad option.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate a five out of ten.

Fortinet FortiGate
November 2022
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Group Leader – FM Operations Team at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Straightforward and quick to deploy, user-friendly, and the UTM features well protect our infrastructure
  • "I think that the UTM features are the most value, as it truly protects my infrastructure."
  • "The support structure needs to be improved because every time we contact them, there is a delay in the response."

What is our primary use case?

We're using both firewall and UTM features, as well as the inbound and outbound traffic load-balancing functionality. We are also using the VPN.

What is most valuable?

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Fortinet FortiGate for almost eight years.

This is a stable and reliable product.

We have had no trouble scaling the solutions.

Technical Team response time is slow comparatively other competition , However once the Engineer is allocated then incidents are managed properly

The initial setup is straightforward and it is very quick to deploy.

We purchased a five-year bundle package, which worked out cheaper than competing solutions.

We evaluated other products including those from Palo Alto and Cisco. However, compare the features and price for all of them, Fortinet was the best choice.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it to others.

Hamada Elewa - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer - Security Presales at Raya Integration
Reliable, good support, and scalable
  • "I have found Fortinet FortiGate to be scalable."
  • "Fortinet FortiGate needs to improve to be on par with its competitors, such as Palo Alto and Sophos. They are the market leaders. Fortinet FortiGate needs to improve its capabilities. However, we are happy with Fortinet FortiGate."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate as a transparent firewall, it is covering the LAN. Whereas, I have a Cisco firewall, which is covering the internet outside. We have two layers of security. FortiGate focuses on the LAN traffic, which is outgoing from the servers in the LAN.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiGate needs to improve to be on par with its competitors, such as Palo Alto and Sophos. They are the market leaders. Fortinet FortiGate needs to improve its capabilities. However, we are happy with Fortinet FortiGate.

Fortinet FortiGate should provide firewall certifications training for NSE 1, 2, and 3.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately four years.

Fortinet FortiGate is a stable solution.

I have found Fortinet FortiGate to be scalable.

We were satisfied with the technical support from Fortinet FortiGate.

The main reason we chose Fortinet FortiGate was that the price was better than the competition.

We evaluated many other firewall vendors, such as Juniper, Sophos, Palo Alto. and SonicWall.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to everyone that wants to implement Fortinet FortiGate to always have a support contract.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten.

I do not give a score of ten to any vendor because there is always room for improvement.

Pier Andrea Gabutto - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at Gabutto MArket
Stable and useful for intrusion prevention, VPN, and anti-malware purposes
  • "We are using the FortiGate 100D series. VPN, firewall, anti-malware, OTM, and intrusion prevention are useful features."
  • "It should have a better pricing plan. It is too expensive. It should also have a more granular view of the attack. I don't have FortiAnalyzer, and it is difficult for me to have a complete view when there is an attack on my server."

What is most valuable?

We are using the FortiGate 100D series. VPN, firewall, anti-malware, OTM, and intrusion prevention are useful features.

What needs improvement?

It should have a better pricing plan. It is too expensive.

It should also have a more granular view of the attack. I don't have FortiAnalyzer, and it is difficult for me to have a complete view when there is an attack on my server.

I have been using this solution for six years.

It is stable.

I don't have any experience with their technical support. My partner contacts them for me.

Its installation is not easy for me because I handle some other work, but I have two partners. One of them is very skilled at using FortiGate, and it took him a day to deploy it. After that, it took us a week to set all parameters and check all parameters and firewall functions.

It is too expensive for us. My organization is very small, and we have a total of ten users. We have three internal users and seven external users. The FortiGate 100D series is too expensive for renewing the licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if you can afford it. I would rate Fortinet FortiGate a nine out of ten.

Head of Technical at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A firewall solution that enables total integration
  • "I like how we can achieve total integration."
  • "The cloud features can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet products are used mostly for internet firewalls. Fortinet's has a great reputation, and all our computer operators are very happy with it. When it comes to firewalls, Fortinet packages are very attractive, which also helps.

What is most valuable?

I like how we can achieve total integration.

What needs improvement?

The cloud features can be improved. The sandboxing part is only available in limited parts of the cloud. If they could expand that, customers would find it slightly better. The price can always be cheaper as well.

We have been using Fortinet FortiGate for about five or six years.

Fortinet FortiGate is very stable. It's a good product.

Technical support was very good.

You need some training, but it's mostly easy. It's a bit of pain, but it's not that difficult, even if you're untrained.

This solution was deployed by a team of four engineers who work under me.

It's expensive, but compared to the competition it's okay. Fortinet's pricing is more attractive than some of its competitors. There's also an annual support license that you can buy with it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiGate a nine.

Mohamed El-Sherbini - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at Mada Insurance
Easy to use UI, excellent support, and simple implementation
  • "The most valuable features of Fortinet FortiGate are the ease of use and the UI. It has always provided me with what I needed. I have no need for additional costs that other solutions have, such as Sophos."
  • "Fortinet FortiGate should improve the VPN tokens."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Fortinet FortiGate for security on all devices, VPN, and IPsec.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Fortinet FortiGate are the ease of use and the UI. It has always provided me with what I needed. I have no need for additional costs that other solutions have, such as Sophos.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiGate should improve the VPN tokens.

The upgrades should be reviewed more frequently, such as daily, to avoid any corruption or issues that can happen, without losing my VPN client. We should not need to downgrade the solution to fix the problems until the Fortinet FortiGate support solves it.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately nine years.

Fortinet FortiGate is a stable solution.

I have found Fortinet FortiGate to be scalable.

Fortinet FortiGate is good for medium to large-sized enterprises.

The support from Fortinet FortiGate is amazing.

The setup of Fortinet FortiGate is straightforward.

I am able to do the implementation myself. There is no need for assistance.

The license of Fortinet FortiGate should be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate a ten out of ten.

Founder, Chairman of the Board at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
MSP
Complete, stable, and easy to use
  • "I like several features that this product has, such as antivirus and internet navigation inspection. It is also simple to use."
  • "It is very expensive, and their support is not very good. I hope that their technical support will be better in the future."

What is our primary use case?

I use FortiGate for perimeter security, web filtering, and antivirus purposes.

I use two different models. I use 90D and 200E.

What is most valuable?

I like several features that this product has, such as antivirus and internet navigation inspection. It is also simple to use.

What needs improvement?

It is very expensive, and their support is not very good. I hope that their technical support will be better in the future.

In terms of new features, it is a complete product. I don't expect any new features.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is stable.

Their support is not very good for such an expensive product. I expect better support. You can find a lot of documentation on Fortinet's website, but their technical support is not very good.

It is easy to deploy and use. It didn't take more than a day.

We deployed it ourselves. We have our own team. There are three people in our organization who directly use this product.

It is expensive. You need to pay for the subscription every year, which is very expensive. The subscription includes technical support and hardware exchange in case of failure.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022