Shehan Attapattu - PeerSpot reviewer
head of presales at a integrator with 11-50 employees
Integrates well with data domain, user-friendly, and has good support
  • "It's a good product that can be integrated easily with the Data domain."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see better pricing and more integration with the other products in Dell EMC."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators.

We have many systems that are being backed up using NetWorker, mainly in a virtualized environment, with several typical workloads.

What is most valuable?

It's a good product that can be integrated easily with the Data domain.

What needs improvement?

They have many different products but they don't integrate all of the features into one product. This is an area of failure with this solution. For example, if we want source-side deduplication then we have to use Avamar because this kind of feature isn't available in NetWorker.

Some features in NetWorker are good as well as some features in Avamar are good. If they could combine the features of both products into one single product, it would be better.

We have been using Dell EMC NetWorker for three years.

We are using the latest version.

Dell NetWorker
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Dell NetWorker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution and we have not had any issues.

It's a backup system that is backing up more than 50 different systems.

We plan to continue using this solution. It's a good product.

We have contacted technical support and they have provided us with good technical support.

We have no issues.

Because NetWorker does not provide all of the features such as source-side deduplication, we have had to go with some other products.

The Installation is quite easy.

The deployment took a maximum of three to four days.

The complete installation needed a bit of extra time due to some downtime for adding systems. But generally, the basic installation and configuration are done within three to four days.

We have a good engineering team and the internal team is capable of handling the implementation.

The price is a little on the high side, but it's reliable and provides a good service.

There are other products on the market with better pricing, which makes it a challenge to sell NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend NetWorker to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker an eight out of ten.

Chief Financial Officer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Stable, easy to set up, and offers good technical support
  • "The updated graphical interface is better than it used to be."
  • "There should be more vendors incorporated into the solution."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, I use the solution in order to backup to tape, usually for long-term backups.

What is most valuable?

With NetWorker, I'm still trying to use it more now, as I wasn't so much in the past.

I like how easily I am able to recognize the labels, the barcodes on the tape. With NetWorker, once you know your tapes and you have your record of them, you should be able to identify them easily.

The updated graphical interface is better than it used to be.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The solution is very stable.

We find the product to be scalable.

Technical support is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

In older versions, the graphical user interface isn't so good.

There should be more vendors incorporated into the solution.

I've been using the solution for about two years or so.

We have found the stability to be quite good. The performance is reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have five people working on the solution in our company.

We do not plan to increase usage at this time. In fact, we may switch to another solution.

We have been satisfied with technical support. They've been helpful and responsive.

A company will find the initial setup wot be straightforward. It's not complex or overly difficult. The implementation process is easy.

I can't speak to the licensing costs.

We are considering switching to Commvault. We're looking into it a bit more. However, that would depend on what the client would like to do. It's not up to us.

What other advice do I have?

I've been using the solution as a customer and an end-user.

I work on the latest version of the solution, however, I can't speak to the exact version number.

Currently, I'm just trying to find out if, let's say you've done a backup with NetWorker in the past, how are you'll be able to migrate that data to Commvault.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Dell NetWorker
December 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1315983 - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable and easy to use but it could be more flexible, scalable, and have better support
  • "It's easy to use."
  • "They need more support for image backups."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dell EMC NetWorker for several solutions we have had such as Exchange, Microsoft SQL, Linux, Windows File, File data backups, and Oracle Databases.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

NetWorker is coming to end-of-life in a couple of years, and even Dell has said that they are not going to continue with it. They no longer develop it.

They put their efforts into the new Power Protect products instead.

Support for the cloud could be better and with the existing features, it could be a bit more robust. Also, the flexibility could be improved.

They need more support for image backups.

The company has used this solution for 15-20 years.

We are not working with the latest version.

It's a pretty stable solution.

It's not scalable. Once you have created a backup server and you have configured it for a specific load, then you can't change it.

You have to estimate how big the load is that you are going to have. If that increases, suddenly, you will need to create a new server.

I wouldn't suggest that it is scalable. Scalability is an area that needs improvement.

We are an admin group and we have several technicians that look into it as well. We have 40 users in our organization.

Experience with technical support varies, sometimes they are very good and other times they are not that good.

However, their higher levels of Technical support are very good.

I used other solutions in earlier employments. This company has been using NetWorker for as much as 20 years.

I did not participate in the installation. It was already installed when I arrived.

We have a team of 5 engineers to deploy and maintain this solution.

They are not cheap. I don't know the fees specifically but they should definitely be cheaper. Everything should be cheaper :-)

What other advice do I have?

Since they are going to stop developing this solution, I cannot recommend it to others.

I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker a seven out of ten.

Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to deploy, scalable, but the features for troubleshooting could be improved
  • "It can support many different versions, both newer and older."
  • "I would like to see the user interface improved, more documentation, faster support, and it could be easier to configure."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for backing up our systems.

What is most valuable?

It can support many different versions, both newer and older.

What needs improvement?

The interface is the same, so when we are trying to troubleshoot the logs, it doesn't display properly.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of development with this solution. You don't see any updates with the features, or any development with the features. In general, Dell EMC doesn't seem to be investing much in the R&D of this product. They are selling it off.

I would like to see an improvement with the features in terms of troubleshooting and ease of use.

The documentation is very poor. It takes quite a bit of experience to understand the documentation. A new person who is going through the documentation will not be able to understand. There is no detailed documentation.

The product itself is good, but it takes a lot of time to troubleshoot.

I would like to see the user interface improved, more documentation, faster support, and it could be easier to configure.

I have been using this solution for five to six years.

We are using the latest version.

The stability is okay. When it works, it works perfectly, but when we run into issues it requires a lot of effort to fix it.

You can't rate it as good or bad, because this is how it works.

It's a scalable solution. We have 10 customers and we plan to continue using it.

Technical support should be a lot better.

It takes a few hours for a smaller implementation. I can plan and implement it.

It takes more time for a larger implementation.

We have one engineer to deploy and maintain this solution.

I completed the implementation myself.

There is a licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

Recommending this solution would depend on the customer. Certain customers will require this it.

Deployment is easy, but managing is more difficult when you run into issues.

I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker a seven out of ten.

Senior Solutions Sales Consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
It acts like a pipe, allowing the data to flow directly from the database or the virtual environment to the data domain
  • "The most valuable feature is NetWorker's integration with the data domain that transfers the data directly into the Dell appliance, so the data doesn't need to pass through the network. NetWorker acts like a pipe, allowing the data to flow directly from the database or the VMware environment to the data domain."
  • "When you're working with VMware, you need to use vProxy machines. You have to install the vProxy for every host in the VMware environment."

What is our primary use case?

We use NetWorker to provide disaster recovery and availability for Unix servers like IBM Power Machines and enterprise database solutions like Oracle and Db2.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is NetWorker's integration with the data domain that transfers the data directly into the Dell appliance, so the data doesn't need to pass through the network. NetWorker acts like a pipe, allowing the data to flow directly from the database or the VMware environment to the data domain.

What needs improvement?

When you're working with VMware, you need to use vProxy machines. You have to install the vProxy for every host in the VMware environment.

Also, if the customer needs to integrate or add additional products, it will be integrated with the NetWorker and data domain, the recovery point for VMware, because it covers the gap between the backup windows. You can take snapshots every few minutes depending on the size of the VM to cover the gap between the backup windows. You can restore from any point in time for the backup.

I've been using NetWorker for almost a year now.

NetWorker is stable if you follow Dell EMC's recommended best practices. For example, in the VMware environment, you need to install a vProxy machine for every host. If you don't set it up correctly, it will not be stable.

NetWorker is highly scalable because Dell uses the vProxy. You can scale as much as you want because you already do the load balancing through the VM proxy. You can install a hundred servers with no problem because the data is transferred from VMware to the appliance, through the disk, or through the tape. While the vProxy makes the installation more complicated, it can scale as much as you want.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell EMC NetWorker eight out of 10. To people who plan to implement NetWorker, I suggest a high availability architecture, with a  minimum of two NetWorker appliances to replicate each other, and you need to have a vProxy machine for each host in a VMware environment. If you have a tape library, you need a dedicated tape-out server.

Senior Account Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly, easy to use, and reliable
  • "The solution is very user-friendly. After setting up five machines for our customers we teach them how to set up the agent and start doing their backups. It is very easy for them once they see how to do it, they like to do it on their own."

What is our primary use case?

I use Dell EMC NetWorker for system backups.

What is most valuable?

Dell EMC NetWorker is a complete solution, providing end-to-end, disk to disk to tape backup features, which makes it more suitable for customers here in Oman.

I have used Dell EMC NetWorker within the last 12 months.

The solution is stable.

The customer support is very good.

I have used Avamar.

The major differentiator between Dell EMC NetWorker Avamar is the Tape Out function, we recommend mostly NetWorker because customers here in Oman have compliance policies to keep the tapes out. Most of my installations are NetWorker and we only have a few on Avamar.

The price of the license could be cheaper and it would be a benefit if they came up with a new pricing model. The competitors here in Oman sell universal licensing where a number of virtual machines are hosted at the customer place which can be licensed, or you can license the CPU sockets in those servers. However, NetWorker offers only CPU sockets or overall storage capacity to backup, but there is no universal licensing where you can provide a number of VMs. They should offer more options to stay competitive with other solutions, such as Veeam.

I have evaluated Veeam solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Dell EMC NetWorker to any large enterprise. For entry and mid-size customers, I would recommend it only if it falls within their budget requirements. If they do not have the budget, they can purchase a solution that works with normal storage while purchasing NetWorker or Avamar requires a storage solution also, such as  Dell Data Domain. It works in combination and delivers the best solution, but it is a little expensive. This is why it is best suited for enterprise customers who can afford it.

I rate Dell EMC NetWorker a nine out of ten.

Mark Torpy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Protection Specialist at Tech Mahindra Limited
    Very scalable and stable, supports all kinds of backups, and can be used across multiple sites and locations
    • "It has the ability to support all kinds of backups. It can be used to back up databases, operating systems, virtual machines, Lotus Notes, and Exchange. It can also do remote image backups for remote sites. It integrates and works with Data Domain. It is an enterprise-class product that can be used for anything and everything across multiple sites and locations. It is also very scalable."
    • "Its console UI should be better. It should also have more out-of-the-box reporting functionalities. It should also have easier cloud integration. They have got cloud boost and things like that, but if you want to directly back up to the cloud, I'm not too sure whether you can do it. For example, you can easily send data from Commvault to AWS, Azure, or a container, but it seems to be not so easy in NetWorker."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backups and data protection.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to support all kinds of backups. It can be used to back up databases, operating systems, virtual machines, Lotus Notes, and Exchange. It can also do remote image backups for remote sites.

What needs improvement?

Its console UI should be better. It should also have more out-of-the-box reporting functionalities.

It should also have easier cloud integration. They have got cloud boost and things like that, but if you want to directly back up to the cloud, I'm not too sure whether you can do it. For example, you can easily send data from Commvault to AWS, Azure, or a container, but it seems to be not so easy in NetWorker.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. It is used by our customers, and their user base is quite large with around 3,000 users.

Their technical support is very good.

It takes half an hour to one hour. You can do it yourself, but sometimes, you may run into issues and require tech support. We have five people for 24/7 support for our customers.

If it is a virtual machine and you're upgrading the Networker version, you have to take a snapshot image before you upgrade it so that you can roll back to the earlier version in case you run into a problem. EMC doesn't support upgrades.

We do need to purchase a license, but sometimes, it comes as a part of the Dell Data Protection Suite (DPS). It has a capacity-based licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to keep using it.

I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker a nine out of ten.

Snr. Systems Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Stable but tricky to use
    • "If it's set up the right way, it's a stable product."
    • "The user interface has to be improved"

What is our primary use case?

We use NetWorker for login support for SAP and VMware. I handle all maintenance-related issues on my own.

What needs improvement?

There's a lot of room for improvement. The user interface has to be improved.

Sometimes it duplicates jobs. Overall, it's a strong legacy product but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

We have to perform the very basic client registration process twice. We have to do it on the client-side and the NetWorker server-side. Sometimes just re-installing a client can be a nightmare.

Also, the layout can be a bit scattered. It's difficult to learn for a new newcomer. If you work with Linux clients, if you've got another non-Windows system, it's a little bit tough — a little complex.

When it comes to the monitoring of backups, or if you want to grab a certain log, it's not as intuitive as other solutions. For example, if you want to find a backup for a certain client, it's not straightforward. With other solutions, like Avamar, this process is much easier.

Scheduling is complicated. If you use the GUI to create a schedule and you auto mark all your backups SQL, it's simply not there. You have to change the view of the schedule from a calendar view to what they call a non-calendar view. Then you have to modify the attributes. You have to operate in a non-conventional way. Typically, when using the GUI, the expectation is to use the GUI for everything. With this solution, you have to go online to check the logs. You have to do some manipulations here and there — it's complex.

Recovery is also complex. You have to build what we call 'a proper workflow' for recovery.

It's quite a stable product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. If it's set up the right way, it's a stable product. So, my advice is to make sure you set it up right the first time. As long as you've done that, it will run for ages.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.

Download our free Dell NetWorker Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022