Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Nagaraj Sheshachalam - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Cyber Security engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A one-stop tool that works fast, supports most of the applications, and has good security and stability
  • "It is pretty secure, and it gives extensive vulnerability features as compared to other applications. It supports multiple languages, and the security checks are pretty high as compared to other tools in the market."
  • "It is a one-stop tool that allows you to do everything. It supports reporting, vulnerability management, patch management, and configuration. All things can be done in one tool."
  • "The reporting structure could be a little more simplistic. Currently, it throws too many vulnerabilities. Some of them are not needed because they are only informational and limitations, and they are not of much help. It doesn't need to show us these things."
  • "Its pricing should be improved. It is too costly."

What is our primary use case?

We are using BigFix 10. We have been using this solution for app management and even for BP management. We use it for continuous improvement in terms of security and enhancements. We use it for AWS, Azure, Google, and other applications.

What is most valuable?

It supports most of the applications, software, and OS. We don't need to go around and look for many tools. Most of the applications are completely supported, and it is much better than Qualys and Tenable. It also works pretty fast.

It is a one-stop tool that allows you to do everything. It supports reporting, vulnerability management, patch management, and configuration. All things can be done in one tool.

It is a very user-friendly solution with a very good interface.

What needs improvement?

The reporting structure could be a little more simplistic. Currently, it throws too many vulnerabilities. Some of them are not needed because they are only informational and limitations, and they are not of much help. It doesn't need to show us these things.

Its pricing should be improved. It is too costly.

Its stability is very good. It is a standard tool, and it is also one of the leading tools in the market.

BigFix
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about BigFix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It supports most of the applications. It is pretty good in terms of scalability.

In our organization, we don't have more than 10 users. We use this tool on client-specific applications, and it is purchased by the client, and that's why we don't have many users in our organization.

We have plans to increase its usage, but it depends on the budget. If most of the application owners agree to the budget, we can probably use it extensively.

We get pretty good support on this. We can call them, and we also can connect with them through chat centers.

It was straightforward, but it took some time for us to settle down and get started. There were a lot of things to learn online. The deployment took about two to three months.

It is too costly. It is one of the best tools, but because of pricing, not all clients support it.

Its licensing is on a yearly basis.

It was directly purchased by the client, and that's why we didn't look for or evaluate a different product. It was also better than most of the tools.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution and advise everybody to use it in their organization.

I would rate BigFix a nine out of 10. I am super happy with it. It works well and surpasses what you expect.

Jim Skidmore - PeerSpot reviewer
VP of Solutions at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
It can manage lost devices, so you can wipe them remotely to ensure the IP doesn't get out in public.
  • "BigFix can manage lost devices, so you can wipe them remotely to ensure the IP doesn't get out in public. Unified endpoint security is a new perspective. I know that HCL is also collaborating with IBM, but I'm not sure if there is any cooperation between them and MaaS360 or other endpoint components."
  • "The main shortcoming of BigFix was integration with vulnerability management. If you had a vulnerability in your software and BigFix on the endpoint, you needed integration with Qualys, Tenable, or another vulnerability management solution to fix that. It was like, "Okay, we can identify issues, and get that information back from the endpoint, but what are we doing about it?""

What is our primary use case?

We used BigFix internally at my previous org. My current company is a BigFix reseller. A lot of people are looking at endpoint security now, but we primarily used BigFix for true endpoint management.

Endpoint security has become the main thing, but we used BigFix for patching and a lot of the other use cases in the past, and I think it worked pretty well. Obviously, the market has gotten much more crowded.

What is most valuable?

The UEM component evolved into reunified endpoint management. Many of our customers used it for deployment and patching. HCL has a new endpoint security approach now, but it was really for managing that.

BigFix can manage lost devices, so you can wipe them remotely to ensure the IP doesn't get out in public. Unified endpoint security is a new perspective. I know that HCL is also collaborating with IBM, but I'm not sure if there is any cooperation between them and MaaS360 or other endpoint components.

What needs improvement?

The main shortcoming of BigFix was integration with vulnerability management. If you had a vulnerability in your software and BigFix on the endpoint, you needed integration with Qualys, Tenable, or another vulnerability management solution to fix that. It was like, "Okay, we can identify issues, and get that information back from the endpoint, but what are we doing about it?"

The stability has been solid when I've used BigFix with customers in the past. In that space, I don't think everybody is doing as much innovation as in other areas in the endpoint management or security market.

I delineate between those two because endpoint management is a different use case. I think it's probably become a lot more important since the pandemic started.

We never had any challenges with scalability. Some of our customers had tens of thousands of endpoints.

I used a few competitors a while back, but I don't know what LANDESK is up to these days. They were a big player in the market, but I don't know what other contenders are out there now.

The patching tool is $250 per client device per year. The inventory and discovery tool is $15 per client per year. They have a lifecycle management tool that is the central component for managing endpoints, which costs around $43 per year. BigFix Compliance is the other part, and that's also around $43.

What other advice do I have?

I rate BigFix nine out of 10. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It depends on your infrastructure. If you have a pure Microsoft shop, you can probably get by deploying and managing endpoints their way.

However, if you have a mixed environment of any kind, BigFix is good at what it does. Patch management is vital for security posture, so I wouldn't be surprised if BigFix is becoming increasingly popular.

BigFix
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Support Analyst at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
A stable, scalable, and straightforward product that provides the flexibility to retrieve custom data
  • "BigFix is a great product. The flexibility of putting together your own relevance and retrieving custom data from any one of your agents is a valuable feature. It is one of my favorite features because if a boss asks me, "How many of these devices do we have?", I can put together a report in two seconds."
  • "The only thing that I don't like about BigFix is that it does not support other devices such as printer firmware, router firmware, and things like that. I will be happy if I can control everything and get everything else in there, even if it is just a line item. They can do some enhancements to the Web UI. I am trying to get customers to be able to manage their environment by using Web UI, and it would be good if we can delete endpoints by using Web UI. We should also be able to generate Excel content or data tables from the Web UI without having to go to the console. It is small stuff, and it drives me crazy that I have to go to another console to do these things."

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP, and we use this solution for our customers as well as for our company.

I use BigFix for everything. I use it for patch management, software distribution, OS deployment, server automation, and inventory and asset management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I don't like about BigFix is that it does not support other devices such as printer firmware, router firmware, and things like that. I will be happy if I can control everything and get everything else in there, even if it is just a line item.

They can do some enhancements to the Web UI. I am trying to get customers to be able to manage their environment by using Web UI, and it would be good if we can delete endpoints by using Web UI. We should also be able to generate Excel content or data tables from the Web UI without having to go to the console. It is small stuff, and it drives me crazy that I have to go to another console to do these things.

I have been using this solution for years.

It is a pretty stable product. There are problems only if you mess up during the installation. If you do it right, then everything is fine.

It is scalable. It is able to handle up to 250,000 devices. So, you should be fine with anything under that.

I work with all kinds of customers. I have small customers with 30 endpoints, and I also have a couple of big customers with 30,000 or 40,000 endpoints.

It has been great since it became HCL.

I know how to use them all. I have used Asterisk and other solutions, but I got used to BigFix. BigFix is pretty straightforward.

Its initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise taking some of the training so that you can use the product to the fullest potential. It is a huge and flexible product, and you can take advantage of a lot of stuff if you know how to do it. If you don't know, you're never going to take advantage of it.

I would rate BigFix a ten out of ten.

Ali Dahbi - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of IT Onsite Support at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Effective patch management, plenty of features, and simple deployment
  • "The most valuable and essential features of BigFix are all of them, they are needed when serving the purpose of the desktop operation framework. We cannot run operations without patching or without having an appropriate mechanism for deploying software, et cetera. The features all serve their purpose for our use case."
  • "BigFix can improve the way machines report back to the console. In the external relay management environment, it has become more of a hybrid environment with most of the machines not being on-site. The need of having public-facing reporting items interconnected is becoming more and more crucial. In general, the reporting could use some enhancement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using BigFix for desktop management, endpoint management, inventory, application control, remote control, building machines, master images, OS deployment, and software distribution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable and essential features of BigFix are all of them, they are needed when serving the purpose of the desktop operation framework. We cannot run operations without patching or without having an appropriate mechanism for deploying software, et cetera. The features all serve their purpose for our use case.

The one feature that provided the most value and efficiency would be patch management. It's the most powerful feature in BigFix.

What needs improvement?

BigFix can improve the way machines report back to the console. In the external relay management environment, it has become more of a hybrid environment with most of the machines not being on-site. The need of having public-facing reporting items interconnected is becoming more and more crucial. In general, the reporting could use some enhancement.

In a future release, it would be a benefit to have a cloud-based solution with external cloud-based relays. Additionally, having a remote control in the cloud feature would be interesting.

I have been using BigFix for approximately four years.

BigFix is stable. However, there have been a few minor issues, such as the relay's not reporting.

The scalability of BigFix is good. How deployment is not that large in size. The exercises that we do are pretty limited.

We have approximately 30 administrators using this solution.

Our company has a good relationship with the reseller that we work with and the support they provide to us is fair.

The initial setup of BigFix was easy because we started from scratch, we didn't have a CCM before. The deployment of BigFix is a powerful feature, it is simple to do.

The price of BigFix could be lower. However, I am always seeking a lower price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is for them to take a holistic approach while designing. Don't look at one functionality, but look at the environment as a framework. View it from all aspects and merge operation with security. Don't let your focus be on the compliance of your environment or on the operation element alone, take other aspects into consideration, such as the security aspect, which is fast remediation, vulnerability management, and end-of-life management.

I rate BigFix an eight out of ten.

Paul Aage Aasheim - PeerSpot reviewer
Marketing Coordinator and Project Manager at Attend IT AS
Excellent support, highly scalable and reliable
  • "The most valuable feature of BigFix is the software deployment."
  • "The solution could improve by adding support drivers for different systems and equipment. When you have a lot of different computers if they could fix how to install any updates, firmware, or drivers for different systems or servers it would be good."

What is our primary use case?

I have used BigFix for patch management, compliance for security, and inventory OS deployment to software.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of BigFix is the software deployment.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by adding support drivers for different systems and equipment. When you have a lot of different computers if they could fix how to install any updates, firmware, or drivers for different systems or servers it would be good.

In an upcoming release, they should add database support included and deliver the solution as a cloud service similar to the services on Microsft Azure.

I have been using BigFix for approximately 10 years.

BigFix is extremely stable.

I have found BigFix to be highly scalable. BigFix can be used on 10 computers, 10,000 and 1,000,000 computers. It doesn't matter the number of computers.

We have approximately 50 people using this solution in my organization. We use the solution daily.

BigFix is suitable for both SMB and enterprise customers.

The support from BigFix is excellent.

I rate the support from BigFix a five out of five.

I have used other similar solutions previously. The main difference between the other solutions and BigFix is you can do more for a lesser price with BigFix. You can do more with less effort to get it up and work properly. Its broader support for different OS systems.

I rate the implementation difficulty of BigFix a five out of five.

If you choose, for example, Microsoft SSM Configuration Manager, you need a lot of servers, databases, and the configuration of firewalls, et cetera. It's a tremendous cost before you get up and running. With BigFix, in 10 to 15 minutes, you're up and running. Everything is working well.

The price of BigFix is better than the solutions. You are able to pay monthly or annually. There are not any hidden costs with BigFix. There is an additional cost for the SQL database.

I rate the price of BigFix a five out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would advise others the solutions are suitable for small to medium-sized companies, and enterprises.

I rate BigFix a ten out of ten.

Network Security Administrator at IBM
Vendor patches are synchronized automatically, but feature updates are not synchronized
  • "All the vendor patches are synchronized automatically."
  • "In-place and OS upgrades can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a full stack developer and we are customers of BigFix.

What is most valuable?

All the vendor patches are synchronized automatically, which is something you don't find in other tools. It enables an unlimited number of management fixes to be created automatically. For software deployments and software package staging, we can easily use a web script and deploy directly which is another great feature.

What needs improvement?

Improvements can be made when it comes to in-place and OS upgrades. For example, SCCM provides a feature upgrade that's automatically synchronized, whereas in BigFix it doesn't synchronize for feature updates for Windows 10.
I'd also like to see some more advanced reporting tools.

I've been using this solution for about four years.

The solution is generally stable although sometimes our customers will report some issues and it's not always easy to find the source.

The scalability is fine.

We don't really use customer support. We have enough knowledge for reporting and deployments, and we have a TRC that allows us to access the remote of the end-users and check any problems.

The initial setup is straightforward.

If you compare BigFix with SCCM, both have their own specialty tools. In some cases, I prefer BigFix and in others I prefer SCCM. If you're talking about patching, I'd go with BigFix but if it's connected to image management, then I'd go with SCCM.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

VivekSaini - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Consultant at Aon Corporation
Useful reporting tool, effective Windows patching, and helpful support

What is our primary use case?

We are using BigFix for Windows patching, querying the configuration management, and reports.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of BigFix is the reporting tool and patching Windows.

What needs improvement?

BigFix should improve its compatibility with other platforms, such as Linux.

I have been using BigFix for approximately two years.

I have experienced good stability while using BigFix in Windows. However, it is not good with Linux.

BigFix has been scalable.

We have approximately 30 users who use the solution.

If the support is available for Linux, we would like to increase our usage.

Sometimes we need to have support, and there is a toll-free number we can use to connect to their help team. We rarely face any issues.

The installation is straightforward.

Our internal software team does the implementation and support of the solution.

We have a subscription-based contract with BigFix.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a very good tool for Windows and for reporting.

I rate BigFix an eight out of ten.

Thomas Rabl - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Easy to create tasks, stable, and easy to use
  • "It's easy to use, not complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We are using BigFix for software distribution, managing the network for our clients, and for updates.

What is most valuable?

The interface is easy to use, and it's not complicated to create tasks.

It offers all of the features that we require.

What needs improvement?

It's not an easy question as it provides all of the things we need. It meets our requirements.

We are resellers. We provide solutions to our clients.

I have been using BigFix for one year, but the company has been using it for approximately seven years.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

We have not had any support cases with technical support.

In my previous profession, we used SCCM from Microsoft, and I am familiar with NetApp Storage and Windows.

The price is reasonable, but our customers find it expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. We have sold many solutions for clients. We don't have any project running at this time but expect that to change in the coming months.

I would rate BigFix a ten out of ten.

Download our free BigFix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022