Head of Software department & Head of Security department at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers good integrated security but failover management is lacking
  • "The most useful aspect of the solution is the concept of integrated security."
  • "The management console could be improved and the solution lacks good technical support."

What is our primary use case?

We generally deploy this solution for our clients for its basic functionality; our clients generally don't have sophisticated requirements. The solution is used for the firewall rules and the VPN rules, as well as the WAF functionality. We are silver resellers of this product and I'm head of the software department.

What is most valuable?

The most useful aspect of the solution is the concept of integrated security which is why I use and recommended this firewall to clients. However, given that we never use endpoint protection, there is less incentive for us to continue using it. Initially it provided a specificity which enabled one kind of endpoint protection managed through the appliance together with the WIFI integrated within the firewall, managing all basic security aspects for TPD. However, because the endpoint protection is not that good and there are problems with malware and we can't prioritize facility management over security of the finances, we can't continue to work this way.

What needs improvement?

I think the management console could be improved. I also find the partner portal difficult to work with because it never functions correctly and it's exhausting to deal with. They should also improve the failover management and the reliability of failover, and there are sometimes issues with the WAF functionality, whereby a number of applications can't be used correctly. Finally, I think the support could be improved because when you open a ticket, there's a long wait time for a response.

I've been using this solution for three years.

Sophos XG
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is quite good there are no major vulnerabilities.

The technical support is a real weakness but that seems to always be the case. Sophos has improved over the last couple of years. It's better than before but it's still not good.

I find the solution too expensive, to be honest. It's one of the reasons I'm looking for an alternative. It's overpriced for what they offer.  When you buy a commercial appliance, the only thing you really need is good support, and they don't provide that, so the cost for hardware and software is too expensive. If the support was responsive, I'd be happy to pay. Now I'd prefer to acquire my own hardware and install pfSense and spend the money helping technicians and engineers gain good skills and improve our own support. We'd have the same level of protection at a lower cost.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Head ICT at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reliable, easy to install, reasonably-priced, with good management control
  • "I like the dashboard, the interface, the management console, and the remote login."
  • "I would want the level of integration to have another device on your network that is also reliable."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a firewall, and for remote login during the lockdown period.

We have used Sophos client, which is connected to the firewall to help our users to log in remotely.

How has it helped my organization?

We have always used firewalls, this is just a different one that we have deployed. It allowed our clients to log in remotely.

It has also helped us with outbound and inbound account management.

We have used it to manage the usage of the sites and helping to control the internet usage during productive hours.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to explore network access control. I haven't seen that it is clearly deployed.

It might be something that is already in place, or if it is available on another device.

I have been using Sophos XG for three years.

It's very stable. It has never given us any problems.

When there are power failures, we have to reboot the network.

We have not tested the scalability. Our users are below 100, and from the time that we got it, our number of users has not gone above that original 100.

From what I have read, it's scalable and we have plans to increase our usage. For example, we are not using the Intrusion section, which is an area that we want to use.

We also plan to install the Sophos endpoint.

We are looking at integrating the two solutions and seeing how they work.

We have been using a different antivirus for our endpoints.

I haven't used technical support from Sophos. I have not required it. It's been easy for me to sort out myself.

Sophos was our first physical firewall device on our network.

Before that, we were using Linux-based open-source software firewalls.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

The price for the firewall is reasonable.

The endpoint, however, is expensive. The price is not very standard, considering where we are coming from.

What other advice do I have?

We are considering Sophos endpoint and should have it next month.

I would recommend Sophos XGto others.

I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Sophos XG
November 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Architect at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Lacking security, poor search tool, but stable
  • "The performance of Sophos XG is generally good and it is stable."
  • "The security of Sophos XG could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Sophos XG is a firewall and we use it to create networking rules.

What needs improvement?

The security of Sophos XG could be improved.

Sophos wants to move all things to the cloud, including access to the end-user PCs and data from the cloud. What will be easier to hack for a customer with an outdated firewall, or the Sophos cloud could get hacked which has all the access and information from customers. With my experience, it's not a question of if they will hack it, but a question of when they will do it. I'm not happy with the direction Sophos is going on.

We have problems with the use of the user interface. You have a poor search engine for objects via which you can write new rules. You have to start at the beginning of the whole object name. With the Sophos UTM, you can start with a pattern, with part of the whole word. In Sophos UTM it will list you all the hits with parts of what you type, and that does not happen on the Sophos XG.

I have been using Sophos XG for approximately 10 years.

The performance of Sophos XG is generally good and it is stable.

I have found the scalability of Sophos XG the same as Sophos XG.

We have approximately 10 clients using this solution.

Since Sophos XG moved the support from London to somewhere in the world, such as India, it's a little bit longer to receive a fast response. They are knowledgeable but they are slow to make decisions. For example, we had a firewall and the hardware was defect. It was really clear, but we had to have a long discussion for them to be able to send us the new firewall. It took one or two weeks until the supporter was able to talk to someone who can make the decision. This is too long, this process could be streamlined.

The initial setup is straightforward . As long as you buy the appliances from Sophos, it works very well. However, in some cases, we have to use our own servers because they have more power and more network bandwidth.

The amount of users needed for the implementation and maintenance depends on the size of the customer's infrastructure.

There is a license required to use this solution and my customers pay for it annually.

What other advice do I have?

I am not amazed by this solution.

I rate Sophos XG a four out of ten.

Founder and Managing Partner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Powerful, simple implementation, useful update scheduling
  • "What I have found most valuable with the Sophos XG is it's a key component of the Intercept X EDR environment. You have to have it to receive the full benefit. If you've you are using Sophos SG firewalls, they're great firewalls and in many ways, I prefer them to the Sophos XG. Since I have set them up, programmed them, and manipulate firewall rules, et cetera, the Sophos SG's a better interface. However, the Sophos XG's very powerful. I prefer it over other solutions I have used, such as Cisco Meraki and SupportNet, I don't like them. They're not very friendly to people who have to set them up and implement them."
  • "The interface of Sophos XG could be improved. I would prefer the Sophos XG to have an interface for the technician who is setting it up similar to the Sophos SG. I felt the Sophos SG user interface was superior. however, in terms of the functionality of the product, Sophos XG is in many ways more powerful than the Sophos SG. I have no complaints about the quality of the product or the end result. For someone who has used both, I preferred the old interface to the new one."

What is our primary use case?

I use Sophos XG as a network firewall.

What is most valuable?

What I have found most valuable with the Sophos XG is it's a key component of the Intercept X EDR environment. You have to have it to receive the full benefit. If you've you are using Sophos SG firewalls, they're great firewalls and in many ways, I prefer them to the Sophos XG. Since I have set them up, programmed them, and manipulate firewall rules, et cetera, the Sophos SG's a better interface. However, the Sophos XG's very powerful. I prefer it over other solutions I have used, such as Cisco Meraki and SupportNet, I don't like them. They're not very friendly to people who have to set them up and implement them.

What needs improvement?

The interface of Sophos XG could be improved. I would prefer the Sophos XG to have an interface for the technician who is setting it up similar to the Sophos SG. I felt the Sophos SG user interface was superior. however, in terms of the functionality of the product, Sophos XG is in many ways more powerful than the Sophos SG. I have no complaints about the quality of the product or the end result. For someone who has used both, I preferred the old interface to the new one.

I have used Sophos XG within the last 12 months.

The stability is what I have found attractive with the whole Sophos product line. You can have a client that starts with a three-person office and grow it to a 10,000 person operation and you keep moving the configuration to the next level of power.

I have used Cisco Meraki and SupportNet solutions previously.

Sophos XG is a better solution for implementers, once you learn it. You have to learn the interface and once you do, it's straightforward. Additionally, you don't have to know the CLI as you do with Cisco, where you have to get into the command-line interface to do any powerful operations.

Maintenance for Sophos XG it's pretty straightforward. I will receive an email if there's a firmware update that needs to be applied and any one of my team, or I will apply the update at our next convenience. You can schedule it to allow it to take place at a non-production time. For example, if I want the firmware update to apply it at 2:00 am in the morning I can schedule it. Additionally, it automatically applies pattern updates.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Head of Information Technology at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Review about Sophos XG
  • "I rate Sophos support 10 out of 10. When my device was freezing, I contacted them, and sent me a replacement. It only took a couple of days for Sophos to ship the device to Kenya. I didn't have a redundant device, so it was urgent."
  • "Sometimes when you roll out a new firmware, you find that the rules you already have in place are broken, so it's difficult to migrate to a new firmware. That's the only downside I've experienced in Sophos."

What is our primary use case?

Network Security

How has it helped my organization?

Performance has been as per expectations and productivity has greatly improved as there are no downtimes experienced.

What is most valuable?

All of Sophos XG's features are valuable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes when you roll out a new firmware, you find that the rules you already have in place are broken, so it's difficult to migrate to a new firmware without going through release notes and user reviews. That's the only downside I've experienced in Sophos.

I've been using Sophos XG for about four years now.

So far, so good. Sophos XG has been stable, and we have not had any challenges.

I find Sophos XG to be scalable. I only have one site, so I still see room for that kind of deployment. I don't see a challenge when it comes to the scale. I have around 150 users.

I rate Sophos support 10 out of 10. When my device was freezing, I contacted them, and they sent me a replacement. I didn't have a redundant device, so it was urgent. It only took a couple of days for Sophos to ship the device to Kenya.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I rate Sophos UTM eight out of 10 for ease of deployment. We didn't have any serious issues. The only challenge we had was migrating from Sophos UTM to XG. There was no direct migration, so we had to do a manual configuration.

After deployment, the solution doesn't require much maintenance. So as long as my connections are up and running, I don't need to do any maintenance. All the updates are automatic.

Both teams were involved. The in-house team was more familiar with the network environment and requirements. I would rate the vendor team's expertise 8 out of 10.

Sophos XG's price is affordable for most organizations, so I rate it six out of 10 for affordability.

We looked at FortiGate to see how it performs compared to Sophos. I wouldn't speak for the other vendors because I'm mainly using XG, so I will praise Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XG eight out of 10. I recommend Sophos XG. If you subscribe to the enhanced support, you get 24/7 customer service, so you can get help any time you need it. I wouldn't hesitate to advise people to implement Sophos.

Data Professional at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is versatile and easy to install, and integrates well with other solutions
  • "We can configure rules with the user, traffic, etc., making it a very versatile solution for our network."
  • "Better instructions should be provided as part of the technical support so that we can understand the functionalities. This will help us to troubleshoot faster."

What is our primary use case?

We manage all the network services, like DHCP, of each branch office.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us because we have identified some of the loopholes in our assets that we did not know existed.

What is most valuable?

I like using the combination of XG firewalls and the XDR product with the end user. I also like the integration of all the solutions and the visual of all our clients and the traffic routing in to the network from inside the console. The synchronization and the integration with all the products in the central office, such as Office 365 or AWS, make it a valuable solution.

We can configure rules with the user, traffic, etc., making it a very versatile solution for our network.

What needs improvement?

Better instructions should be provided as part of the technical support so that we can understand the functionalities. This will help us to troubleshoot faster.

We've been using Sophos XG for three years.

It is stable.

Sophos XG is a scalable solution. We have about 1,000 users.

Technical support is good, in general.

We used Fortinet, and we changed the solution because there were additional costs for reporting, licensing, and centralization. If we compare Fortinet to Sophos XG, the XG firewall costs less and performs better. That's one of the reasons that we moved to XG.

The other and the most important reason is the integration with our security solution, Sophos XDR.

The initial setup was very easy. It's much easier than that for other products.

Deployment and maintenance can be done by one or two people. I am a specialist, and an engineer and I worked on the deployment and maintenance.

The provider of the solution implemented it, and it took about a day.

We have seen an improvement in security not only in terms of technology but also in terms of internal practices in our company.

We predicted that it would take three years to obtain an ROI.

We bought the three-year license, and there are no additional costs.

We evaluated Check Point, Barracuda, and Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product, and you should go ahead with it.

I would rate Sophos XG at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Senior Engineer at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
Easy to deploy and configure, good documentation, and works as advertised
  • "It is very easy to configure and straightforward. The firewall rules are straightforward. It works great out of the box. It has been working as advertised, and I haven't had any issues with it."
  • "Its user interface is a little bit slow."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our VPN and firewall. It acts as our firewall for the external portal into our network.

What is most valuable?

It works great out of the box. It has been working as advertised, and I haven't had any issues with it.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface is a little bit slow.

I have been using this solution for a couple of weeks.

It has been up and running for probably three weeks and hasn't had any issues. I didn't have a lot of time on it yet to make a good call about that, but so far, so good.

It scales for our purposes. We're a very small office. We have 25 users on the system. We're an engineering consulting company, so all remote users are accessing our network

It is being used quite heavily, and I don't see any need to increase its usage at all at this point.

I didn't have any direct interaction with Sophos. Their online documentation is very good. It is much better than Cisco.

It was a replacement for Cisco ASA Firewall. Our Cisco licensing had expired, and it was very expensive. Sophos XG is a lower-cost solution for the same thing. It was also easier to configure.

It was very simple. It took a couple of hours.

We had a partner, and they did the initial setup and walked us through it. Our experience was very good.

Its maintenance is very simple. You need less than one administrator for its maintenance.

I expect to see ROI in a year or two.

Its licensing cost is around 700 bucks a year or something like that. It is 100 bucks a month at the most. It seems to be standard licensing with no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go through the Sophos demos. They are very good, and they walk you through configuration and use cases. Their online documentation is very helpful in not only configuring it but also selecting a proper model to deploy.

I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten for ease of use and cost.

Nadeem Syed - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Haniya Technologies
Strong in security, scalable, and good performance
  • "Sophos firewalls are scalable. They are pretty strong in security. So, when they provide any kind of firewall, they provide all the features such as anti-spam, antivirus, etc."
  • "Its price should be improved. Its features are pretty okay, but the price is the area where we have to fight more. They should do something about the price structure."

What is our primary use case?

Firewall is not our expertise, but we do sell it as per the requirement of the customer or if they ask for it.

Most of the firewalls are on-prem. What we deliver is the hardware. It is appliance-based.

What is most valuable?

Sophos firewalls are scalable. They are pretty strong in security. So, when they provide any kind of firewall, they provide all the features such as anti-spam, antivirus, etc.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be improved. Its features are pretty okay, but the price is the area where we have to fight more. They should do something about the price structure.

It has been a couple of years.

It is stable. Its performance is very good. They have now stopped calling it a firewall. They're calling it a Unified Threat Management (UTM) solution.

It is scalable in the sense that if they are using a small model or a small box of firewall and there is an increase in their network and the number of users, they can move that small box to a bigger model. So, if they are using a firewall and they want to scale it up, they can go to the next model.

Sophos has more than 1,000 customers.

Our clients have a good system of support over here. They have full support. They get support from the distributors, from the partners, and then directly from Sophos.

We are a partner of Sophos and Fortinet. We work with Sophos much more than we work with Fortinet.

If it is a small model and a small network, it takes about two days. You need at least two people for its deployment and maintenance.

Its price should be better. Initially, the clients have to pay for the appliance. Then, they have to pay for the software that is installed on the appliance. Depending on whether they have a one-year, two-year, or three-year license, they just have to renew the license of the software after it expires. They don't have to renew the appliance license. So, they have to pay for the appliance only once, and after that, they just renew the software license. That's all.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Sophos to others. I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022