QA Team Manager at MTS - Mer Telemanagement Solutions
Saves a lot of human resources by running full regression tests prior to each release.
  • "The database checkpoints detect problems which are difficult for a human resource to find."
  • "Customer service and technical support responsiveness are high. Everyone is very professional."
  • "Name Mapping feature should be clearer. Whenever I use it, I do not really know what will work and what will not work."
  • "Stability issues occurred only when connecting to the SourceSafe. Sometimes, after getting the latest version, the tool hangs and it should be reopened in order to recover."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to run regression tests on a call accounting system as a web application, which is running on a Windows operating system. The tests simulate user actions using UI and database verification.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has saved a lot of human resources by running full regression tests prior to each release. In addition, during the years, many major bugs have been detected by the tool, and it has saved us the big expense of fixing problems after a release. Our confidence with the tool increased as releases were performed successfully, without any rejections from the field.

What is most valuable?

The database checkpoints detect problems which are difficult for a human resource to find. In addition, verification of UI items in all screens is also important task that consumes too
much manual resources.

SmartBear TestComplete
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about SmartBear TestComplete. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Eleven years.

No issues.

We did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup was straight forward. No issues at all during the setup stage.

The implementation was in-house.

Our ROI is about $10,000 a year.

The license price for a physical machine is cheap, and for virtual machine, it is very expensive.

We did not evaluate other solutions.

Blaine Anderson - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Development Team Lead at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
Application performance monitoring solution that integrates with Azure DevOps for continuous integration and deployment
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is its ability to integrate with Azure DevOps for continuous integration and deployment."
  • "This solution could be improved by making it easier to visualize where there is a failure without having to look at it in detail."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to log into a website, do MFA authentication and to verify test cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its ability to integrate with Azure DevOps for continuous integration and deployment. It also frees up manual testing of sites and manual testing of any of our applications. This frees up about 40 hours a week.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be improved by making it easier to visualize where there is a failure without having to look at it in detail. In comparison, Leapwork allows us that visibility and showed us exactly where it failed more easily.

This is a stable solution.

Tech support that we have received so far is pretty good. We haven't really needed to use a lot of their tech support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

We evaluated both Leapwork and SmartBear, along with other automated testing solutions. Both products are really good. I like Leapwork because it is easier for people to use but the price was too high per user per year. SmartBear is easy to use as well but Leapwork is not a no-code solution, whereas SmartBear is a low-code solution.

We went with SmartBear mainly because we're also using SmartBear Swagger. We're already utilizing some of SmartBear's technology in-house and its cost per license per year is lower. That was the key factor in why we decided to go with SmartBear over LeapWork.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give would be to make sure you dedicate some time and resources to laying out how you want to structure the test cases first.

SmartBear TestComplete
November 2022
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Test Consultant at a outsourcing company with 51-200 employees
Fast, stable, very well organized, and can find and interact with almost everything that exists on Windows
  • "It works very fine. It is fast on almost any machine, and it is also very well organized. I like its object mapping and its capability to find and interact with almost everything that exists on Windows."
  • "I didn't use it very heavily. One issue that I found was that there wasn't a quick way or a button to move Visual Basic scripts to TestComplete. We have a lot of such scripts in our organization, and it would be very useful to have some option to easily move these scripts. It is currently possible to convert these scripts to TestComplete, but it is not easy. I have to write some code, but everything is not available immediately."

What is our primary use case?

I used this solution mostly for a proof of concept. We have a lot of desktop applications with a lot of engines and customized framework. I used this solution to prove that it can interact with some old desktop applications or customized framework, where any other tool would not fit.

What is most valuable?

It works very fine. It is fast on almost any machine, and it is also very well organized.

I like its object mapping and its capability to find and interact with almost everything that exists on Windows.

What needs improvement?

I didn't use it very heavily. One issue that I found was that there wasn't a quick way or a button to move Visual Basic scripts to TestComplete. We have a lot of such scripts in our organization, and it would be very useful to have some option to easily move these scripts. It is currently possible to convert these scripts to TestComplete, but it is not easy. I have to write some code, but everything is not available immediately.

I have been using this solution for maybe one year.

It is very stable and easy going.

I didn't come to that point. In my department, we had two users.

I didn't contact them.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I have a lot of experience and knowledge. Therefore, it was very easy for me to switch to TestComplete, but I am not sure about a new person.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. I would rate SmartBear TestComplete an eight out of ten.

Head of Digital & Cognitive Services at a tech company with 11-50 employees
A quality product overall but some cross-browser issues must be addressed
  • "The ease-of-use and quality of the overall product are above average."
  • "In the cross-browser domain, it has a few snags with Microsoft Edge and Chrome; although, these problems are not critical."

What is our primary use case?

We use TestComplete for automation and functional testing — for support in the CI/CD pipeline. We also use it for cognitive solution application testing.

What is most valuable?

The ease-of-use and quality of the overall product are above average.

What needs improvement?

In the cross-browser domain, it has a few snags with Microsoft Edge and Chrome; although, these problems are not critical. Overall, The internal customer feedback is above average.

I have used TestComplete for almost one year.

TestComplete is both scalable and stable.

Deploying TestComplete was very easy.

The pricing is a little above average — it could be lower.

Currently, we are not looking at any competition or changing or anything else.

What other advice do I have?

Price-wise, feature-wise, its ability to integrate with other products, and of course, scalability-wise, it's great. I would absolutely recommend TestComplete to others.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give TestComplete a rating of seven.

Download our free SmartBear TestComplete Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022