We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Project Manager at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Straightforward to set up with good test cases but need more project tracking features
  • "The pricing seems to be reasonable."
  • "I would like to see a bit more project tracking."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for specifications of the requirements, for example, or a user for research specifications. I'm also using it to build up test cases right now.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution is pretty good. It fulfills most of our requirements.

The stories and test cases on offer are great.

The initial setup was pretty self-explanatory. It was straightforward.

The pricing seems to be reasonable.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to add the capability for building live documents.

I would like to see a bit more project tracking. There should be more Kanban views. There maybe should be a few more reports. If the reporting was increased a bit, it would make it so that you can check a bit more information around the progress of the project. That would help with project management and progression.

I've been using the solution about twice a week for the last few months. It hasn't been that long and it's not a daily occurrence. In total, it's maybe only been two or three months.

So far, I've found the solution to be quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

We have about 3 people using the product currently in my company, and about 30 customers.

I've never had to contact technical support. We haven't faced any issues that would require us to. Therefore, I have not idea how they would be. I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are. At this point, I have no insights to share.

I have worked with other DevOps tools previously. I've worked with Jira and Polarion in the past. I haven't necessarily worked with them together or consecutively. It all depends on individual project requirements.

That said, I am not using Polarion anymore.

The initial setup was not overly complex. It was pretty straightforward. A company should have too much trouble with it.

The pricing of the solution seems to be pretty good. It doesn't strike me as being too high.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's been okay so far. We're satisfied with the solution overall.

Application Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A user-friendly DevOps server with a useful backlog item creation feature
  • "It's very user-friendly, and the documentation is good. The most valuable feature is backlog item creation, where we pick features and other things. The burndown chart created for projects to be maintained by the development teams is also useful."
  • "Integration and plugins for other tools could better. Like if you want to integrate the DevOps with other tools that are in the market. This could be for the engineering tools to check code quality, application security tools, and DevOps dashboard tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure DevOps to maintain our project. We create a project in a good DevOps, and then we add the backlog items. The product owner adds the backlog items, and then the development team. The repository is also built into that. We have a private Git report for the project. Under reports, we can create a repository for the big projects and maintain the source code.

Developers can commit and make a full request. For example, configure Jenkins, reconfigure Jenkins with the repository credentials, and then use it for linking. We don't use the pipeline available to us, and we use Jenkins for CSC.

How has it helped my organization?

In our organization, Microsoft Azure DevOps helps senior leadership go in and check the project status and how much effort has been put in by the development team. They can also pick, choose, and add features to be used by the development team. It's like a backlog management tool that helps improve and support projects.

What is most valuable?

It's very user-friendly, and the documentation is good. The most valuable feature is backlog item creation, where we pick features and other things. The burndown chart created for projects to be maintained by the development teams is also useful.

What needs improvement?

Integration and plugins for other tools could better. Like if you want to integrate the DevOps with other tools that are in the market. This could be for the engineering tools to check code quality, application security tools, and DevOps dashboard tools.

They could also make the implementation easier. The test plan also has basic features that are not user-friendly. It should also have integrations with test automation tools. We need a test plan, automation testing, and EA-based testing.

We have been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for more than four years.

We haven't got any issues with the technical support area.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

Licensing cost per user is approximately $11 to $15. We have about 400 users, but not all are active. We have around 200 to 300 active users.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to new users if it's a simple project. If you want JIRA, you'll need to have JIRA software for backlog management.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure DevOps an eight.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure DevOps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
National Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Good automation, perfect for agile approaches, and very scalable
  • "There are great automation tools."
  • "With Microsoft, I would prefer to have more test plans. It's very difficult to find individual test plan module training."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for more of an end-to-end pipeline.

What is most valuable?

The integration with the full end-to-end suite is great. The integration between the Kanban all the way through, including the traceability all the way through to the other end is very useful. You're able to test and you have your repositories and the ability to integrate with pipelines.

There are great automation tools.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is quite good.

What needs improvement?

Individually, the components and not quite as good as others in the market. For example, the DevOps test plan isn't quite as good as a Micro Focus ALM QC. That said, when you integrate it into that entire pipeline, it's better.

Microsoft initiates changes so quickly, it's hard to keep up. It would be helpful if there was more documentation and more training to go with all of the changes. Chris:

The solution is quite stable. It's pretty reliable. there aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is very scalable. It's easy to expand.

I've had no problems with technical support, however, I'll get put in the fast-track programs. I always get very fast responses.

I also use Micro Focus. For older style waterfall projects, it's best to go with Micro Focus probably, barring pricing and other consideration. However, in an agile environment, a Microsoft Azure-based product such as DevOps is great due to the pipeline and the whole integration end-to-end is just better.

I'm also familiar with Jira, which has better features in various areas. The problem is it moves so fast and new versions are always coming out and it can be hard to keep up.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementor. I work with a variety of clients.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's great for agile and we've been pretty happy with it as an end-to-end solution.

If you're moving into an agile CI/CD, DevOps is the way to go. If you're still thinking about old manual start testing, Micro Focus is probably the way to go. That said, more standalone manual testing is better supported by Micro Focus.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
IT specialist at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, straightforward to set up and easy to use
  • "The installation is very straightforward."
  • "The price could be lowered. It would be nice if it was cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are using it for the continuous integration and continuous deployment of the CI/CD pipeline available for our projects.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very useful.

It's very easy to use and easy to navigate. It's a simple product to navigate.

The product is very stable; it's being used by quite a few organizations. We find it quite reliable.

The scalability, for now, is good for what we need.

The installation is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We haven't had too much time to really play with the solution and therefore it's difficult to really know if there's anything missing in terms of features. We need more time with it.

The price could be lowered. It would be nice if it was cheaper.

I started using the solution a few months ago. It's been about a year or so. We have not used the product for that long just yet.

The product is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable in terms of performance.

The solution is scalable, at least for our purposes. We haven't run into any issues.

We have about 1,000 users on the solution currently.

The forums that are available to users are quite helpful and have a lot of information. It helps us troubleshoot very well. We don't usually call anyone directly.

We did not use a different solution before using this product.

The product is very straightforward to set up.

The deployment is fast as well. It only took us about 10 to 15 minutes to have everything up and running.

I handled the installation myself. I did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator. It was handled in-house.

It would be nice if the licensing was a bit cheaper.

Our IT team looks after that aspect. I don't deal with tasks such as licensing and payments directly.

We did not evaluate other solutions before deciding on this product.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. So far, we've been very pleased with its capabilities.

Vice President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's simple to implement the SAFe Framework, but it's not easy to customize like some solutions
  • "Setting up Azure DevOps was straightforward. It's easy to use the default templates. Everything is under our control, so it's simple to implement new requirements."
  • "The portfolio is one area where DevOps has room for improvement. Built-in reporting and visualization also could be better. We're using Power BI and Tableau to compile more complex reports and dashboards. Azure DevOps has some out-of-the-box reporting capabilities, but they're very simple. It's usually okay on the team level, but if you have to run a complex report, it's difficult and insufficient, so we use Power BI as an extension."

What is our primary use case?

We adopted the SAFe Framework, and more than 10 teams are using the process or workflow template from Azure DevOps for SAFe. Also, we're currently using DevOps for future planning and backlog management following the scrum approach on the team and coordination level. The company plans to extend this with Lean Portfolio Management.

What needs improvement?

The portfolio is one area where DevOps has room for improvement. Built-in reporting and visualization also could be better. We're using Power BI and Tableau to compile more complex reports and dashboards. Azure DevOps has some out-of-the-box reporting capabilities, but they're very simple. It's usually okay on the team level, but if you have to run a complex report, it's difficult and insufficient, so we use Power BI as an extension.

I've been using DevOps for about three years.

DevOps is very stable.

DevOps is scalable. We have about 65 users working with it, including the product manager, product owner, scrum master developer, tester, line managers, and architects.

We haven't experienced any significant issues so far, but any issues we've had were fixed fast, so I would say I'm very satisfied with the support.

We were using Jira, but we switched to DevOps. It was a strategic decision to reduce the complexity of the toolchains. We wanted a Microsoft solution, so we chose Azure DevOps.

Setting up Azure DevOps was straightforward. It's easy to use the default templates. Everything is under our control, so it's simple to implement new requirements. We did it ourselves in three days. Since we used the default templates,  we didn't have to change the standard Azure DevOps services. Two people are responsible for deployment and maintenance: DevOps engineer and Release Train Engineer

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure DevOps seven out of 10. DevOps isn't so easy. In general, the solution is straightforward and suits our purposes, but it's a little bit tricky to customize the workflow. It's simple to implement the SAFe Framework, but it's not easy to customize compared to Digital.ai Agility. There's a huge gap.

hugodpereira
Computer engineering student at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Covers the entire development lifecycle and the reporting is good
  • "It's a complete solution that has everything you need."
  • "I think that they have some menus there that are not very well placed."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for workflow management, especially when using a Kanban board to monitor the small assignments. Also, some programming for some of the disciplines. It's still in its infant stages.

What is most valuable?

It's a complete solution that has everything you need.

It covers all of the development workflows to the initial planning, testing, coding, and even to launch the subsequent feedbacks.

Also, it has marketing reports.

It's very promising. They are very well positioned to take over some pretty heavy contestants in that area.

What needs improvement?

I think that they have some menus there that are not very well placed. For example, I was searching for some extensions in the marketplace and I couldn't find my way back to the console. It's not very well designed.

The general user interface is nice. It's intuitive, but I had the luck to discover something that is not very well designed. The fact that I can't return back to the console is very strange. I couldn't find my way back. I had to log off and log on again and get back to the console in a very awkward way.

I have been using this solution for a few weeks.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

As per the documentation that I have read, it's pretty scalable. My brother, who works with this solution practically every day, says it's scalable.

We plan to continue using this solution.

I have not yet had any experience with technical support.

Previously, I just used GitHub, so just Version Control for code and not much more.

I used also their integrated development environments including Visual Studio Code and Visual Studio. These solutions are built by Microsoft.

It's straightforward. With the cloud solution, there is no installation.

I could create the main console for the project very quickly, with just a name and description and the rest is the default.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend to other users.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Mohammad Ranjbar
Product Owner at Day Insurance
The software covers the whole development cycle, from requirements analysis to deployment
  • "Azure DevOps is complete and meets all of your expectations. You can develop your own plugins to customize it however you want, so it's highly flexible. We develop personalized plugins or use ones that other programmers create for the Azure Marketplace."
  • "Microsoft could focus on refining the reporting and dashboard elements of Azure DevOps to improve it."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure DevOps for the entire lifecycle of software development, starting with requirements analysis. After that, we use it to continue the process of development and deployment.

What is most valuable?

Azure DevOps is user-friendly. The UI and the UX are perfect. Their software covers the whole development cycle, from requirements analysis to deployment. In particular, it's helpful in the requirements analysis phase. You can apply your methodology or Agile framework from the beginning. After choosing the framework, like Agile or Scrum, Azure DevOps provides many features, like user stories, tasks, managing boards, and those kinds of things.

Azure DevOps is complete and meets all of your expectations. You can develop your own plugins to customize it however you want, so it's highly flexible. We develop personalized plugins or use ones that other programmers create for the Azure Marketplace.

This makes up for any possible deficiency in Azure DevOps features. If you want some capability that Azure DevOps doesn't provide, you can develop your plugin or customize any part of it. The options for customization make it worthwhile for any software development.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft could focus on refining the reporting and dashboard elements of Azure DevOps to improve it.

I've been working with DevOps for about five years.

DevOps is totally stable. And if there are any problems, Microsoft patches them as soon as possible.

When you enter into Microsoft ecosystem, you can scale any part of the product in this ecosystem. For example, you can connect Azure DevOps to Microsoft SharePoint for knowledge or document management. You can connect Azure DevOps to OneDrive for storage. You can connect it with Skype for chatting or Outlook.

We don't use support from Microsoft. We mostly solve problems by searching for solutions on sites like GitHub and that kind of thing.

I've used Atlassian products like Jira, Confluence, and HipChat, but I prefer Azure DevOps and the Microsoft ecosystem.

It is effortless to set up DevOps. All Microsoft products are user-friendly and easy to install. If you run into any obstacles, you can use Microsoft library or MSDN for any further help that you need. Microsoft provides a lot of wizards that you can use to solve your problem.

Sehrish Parvaiz
Principal Project Manager at Systems Limited
Gives you the ability to run test cases, but query functions aren't as helpful as other solutions
  • "You can have test cases in DevOps but not in JIRA. And, DevOps has advantages in terms of executing those test cases."
  • "With the query feature, we have to group items, so it becomes difficult for everyone to understand it. It's easier in JIRA, which has filters and other query options."

What needs improvement?

With the query feature, we have to group items, so it becomes difficult for everyone to understand it. It's easier in JIRA, which has filters and other query options. So, I think this query option should be there in the DevOps also. Also, I don't like the DevOps' boards at all. It's more complicated than JIRA, I think. So, DevOps can improve in terms of its boards, work items, and filters.

Then there is also an issue with user access. We have about 10 to 15 users that we can add to DevOps. But only the first five users have basic level access, and the rest have stakeholder access. That means they can change the task status but not add or do anything. I think Microsoft should remove this restriction from DevOps. With the access restrictions, it's tough for us to add any status for our users or filter anything on the boards. So, Microsoft should add this functionality for the other roles as well.

DevOps is a stable solution.

It's average. It's not better than JIRA. It's average because many things need to be improved by Microsoft in all their products.

Setting up DevOps is easy.

We pay for DevOps when we use it for our clients. But for personal and internal projects, we can use the free version. But there are restrictions on the trial plan. It should also be available for free use. However, the trial version of DevOps is free for only five basic users. So, I think it should be free for others also. And other extensions like test plan creation should also be available for the basic users, at least. We have to purchase the license for this.

We use both JIRA and DevOps. The main difference between DevOps and JIRA is the test cases. You can have test cases in DevOps but not in JIRA. And, DevOps has advantages in terms of executing those test cases. You can develop releases from DevOps but not from JIRA. At the same time, JIRA's jQuery is the best. I don't like the grouping and filtering in DevOps.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft Azure DevOps seven out of 10. I would recommend it to others. It's a nice and helpful tool.

Download our free Microsoft Azure DevOps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.