We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Usman Rasool
VP - Head Enterprise IT Infrastructure at MIB
Deduplication and compression afford us more space, but there is a bottleneck when adding more flash drives
  • "The most valuable features are deduplication and compression, which together, enable you to have more space."
  • "The security features can be improved such that the encryption does not affect performance in any way."

What is our primary use case?

The IBM FlashSystem is the primary storage for files and data in our organization.

What is most valuable?

Performance is a major advantage of this storage.

What needs improvement?

When you add more flash drives or more NVMe, that is the bottleneck or shortcoming with this type of storage. When you fill the first enclosure, you won't be able to add more NVMe until you add more SAS drives.

I have been using IBM FlashSystem for about four years.

The stability is very good.

We have approximately 1,500 people who are directly or indirectly accessing the data that is residing on this storage.

The technical support is pretty good, especially the local team in Pakistan. Normally, the response time is very good.

This is the first flash storage system that we have used. Prior to that, we were using a hybrid Dell EMC storage.

The initial setup is not very difficult. I would say that it is similar to the way other storage systems are set up. I believe that it took one week for our deployment, which included testing.

We have three administrators who take care of the different applications and data that are hosted on this storage. We don't perform maintenance on a daily basis. We may extract some stats for the performance and for evaluating capability. However, when it comes to maintenance, we probably work on it once or twice a month.

What other advice do I have?

Before purchasing this product, I recommend that everyone should do a PoC because there are multiple flash drive systems now available. All storage vendors are now making flash drives because it is a new technology that replaces existing hybrid systems. I would suggest doing some analysis and some R&D because Huawei, for example, is doing well. EMC is also top of the line, with IBM. There are slight differences in features, however, so it is important to do a comparison before making any decision.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

KashifAdeel
Technology Specialist at InfoTech Group
High performance, thoroughly stable, and easy to scale
  • "The performance of IBM FlashSystem is very good. The new technology and high throughput have given us more confidence in the solution. The management of the system has improved and we can control the monitoring system alerts and multiple FlashSystems with the Enterprise Cloud Edition, which is free. The migration of recently stored data to a new flash is much easier. You can move your data because you can utilize it externally."
  • "The technical support in my region is satisfactory but it could improve. Support is very important for customers and downtime is very critical for us. We would like onsite or complete technical support which can help us to minimize our downtime or if problems occur."

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM FlashSystem as a storage system for core banking operations.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM FlashSystem has improved our company. We run multiple reports for management and it would take more than 12 reports sometimes and more than 18 hours to complete. With IBM FlashSystem the report takes two hours or less than a two-hour on a rotation. We can get our reports very quickly and this is something very valuable to our management.

What is most valuable?

The performance of IBM FlashSystem is very good. The new technology and high throughput have given us more confidence in the solution. The management of the system has improved and we can control the monitoring system alerts and multiple FlashSystems with the Enterprise Cloud Edition, which is free. The migration of recently stored data to a new flash is much easier. You can move your data because you can utilize it externally. Additionally, the front menu of the FlashSystem is very user-friendly and easy to understand.

I have been using IBM FlashSystem for approximately one year.

The solution is highly stable. We did not receive any errors in the two years since we have been using them. We had one occasion when we had to call IBM for a replacement flashcard, otherwise, we did not have and performance impact or any issue with the FlashSystem.

IBM FlashSystem is scalable as per our organization's requirements. We have also upgraded the capacity after two years and it is working fine and it was quite easy to add more capacity to the existing pool. We can use the same capacity to increase the existing two drives or for the new workload.

I work for medium to large enterprises which use this solution.

The technical support in my region is satisfactory but it could improve. Support is very important for customers and downtime is very critical for us. We would like onsite or complete technical support which can help us to minimize our downtime or if problems occur.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I did the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM FlashSystem an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about IBM FlashSystem. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Systems Director at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good Performance, user interface, simple to use and install
  • "The price-performance ratio is most valuable."
  • "They don't offer subscription-based payments."

What is our primary use case?

IBM FlashSystem is used for online transaction processing in TP solutions.

What is most valuable?

The price-performance ratio is most valuable.

It is simple to use.

Both the performance and interface are good.

We are in our second year of using IBM FlashSystem.

IBM FlashSystem is a stable solution.

It is a scalable product.

In our organization, we have more than 1,000 people using this solution.

In general, we plan our investments for three to five years in advance. Because technology evolves every five years, the solution is usually changed after five years. As a result, we had to replace everything.

We don't have any plans to purchase additional licenses in the near future.

We haven't needed any assistance from technical support so far.

We use a variety of solutions from Hitachi, EMC, and NEC.

We switched to IBM FlashSystem because of the scalability, it was a beneficial option for us, as well as the price-performance ratio and technology.

They compare the IBM features with those of EMC and HP.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

It takes very little time to deploy. The initial implementation will take two days. The data will then be moved by wifi over a three-week period due to the implementation study.

The installation is being managed by a team of two engineers.

A company called Compro assisted us with the installation. They were good.

They don't offer subscription-based payments. You pay for the license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to anyone else who is interested.

Because technology is evolving at a rapid pace, they should compare the benefits. Of course, solution technology is important, but the most important aspect is service and knowledge.

I would rate IBM FlashSystem a nine out of ten.

Senior System Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable product with good support for our production system data

What is our primary use case?

We use the FlashSystem to store our company data that is used in production systems.

What is most valuable?

The maintenance service and support from IBM is very good.

What needs improvement?

It could be easier to implement. This is an expensive product and if the price were reduced it would be better.

We have been using the IBM FlashSystem for a few years.

This is absolutely a stable product. However, we will probably not continue to use it in the future. One of the reasons for wanting to switch is the price. Also, technology is evolving and we will probably adopt a hyper-converged solution.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The maintenance service and support from IBM is very good.

What needs improvement?

It could be easier to implement.

This is an expensive product and if the price were reduced it would be better.

We have been using the IBM FlashSystem for a few years.

This storage solution is scalable. It is used in production and not directly linked to users. It runs various routines and batches, although the developers and IT interact with this. Together, this is about 50 people.

Technical support from IBM is very good.

We did not use another similar product prior to this one.

The initial setup is quite complex. To get it in place and configured took about one week.

We deployed with the help of an integrator.

There are three administrators who handle the routine maintenance and the hardware is well maintained by IBM.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I absolutely recommend it.

Storage Infrastructure Engineer at Cambridge Health Alliance
Flexible, feature rich, and highly scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM FlashSystem for data storage at the hospital I work at.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM FlashSystem has benefited our organization because we can mix solid-state drives with spinning drives.

What is most valuable?

IBM FlashSystem is a flexible solution with plenty of features.

I have been using IBM FlashSystem for approximately one year.

The solution is stable and has good performance.

IBM FlashSystem is highly scalable. We have approximately 5,000 people using the solution. We plan to continue using this solution in the future.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM FlashSystem for data storage at the hospital I work at.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

IBM FlashSystem is a flexible solution with plenty of features.

I have been using IBM FlashSystem for approximately one year.

The solution is stable and has good performance.

IBM FlashSystem is highly scalable.

The support could improve by allowing you to speak to someone when you call rather than them calling you back. However, once we do have contact with one of their technicians they are excellent.

We previously used HPE and we are slowly moving towards having them switched with IBMFlashSystem. We have found the IBM FlashSystem to be more flexible.

The installation was a moderate level of difficulty and it took approximately one week.

We do the implementation and maintenance of the solution using our in-house team.

The cost of the IBM FlashSystem is lower than the HPE solution.

What other advice do I have?

IBM FlashSystem provides a very good value.

I rate IBM FlashSystem a nine out of ten.

Deputy director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
You can opt for the full controller, so it's scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are providing services to the other department, so FlashSystem is running several applications across multiple servers. In the future, we plan to increase our usage capacity to around 60 terabytes.

What is most valuable?

IBM's response is very good.

What needs improvement?

The GUI for monitoring performance metrics could provide better visibility. For example, it doesn't let me segregate the IOPS per volume.

We've been using FlashSystem for about six months to a year.

FlashSystem is very stable.

You can go for the full controller, so you can say FlashSystem is scalable.

How are

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

IBM's response is very good.

What needs improvement?

We've been using FlashSystem for about six months to a year.

FlashSystem is very stable.

You can go for the full controller, so you can say FlashSystem is scalable.

We haven't had any problems with IBM support. However, they don't cover everything in a single contract. They have different types of contracts. For example, you need separate contracts for software services and hardware services. Dell EMC's pricing model for support is much better. There's only one all-inclusive contract.

Installing FlashSystem is very easy. It takes less than half an hour, and I can handle it all myself. Three people on our team manage it.

FlashSystem comes with all the licenses when you purchase it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FlashSystem nine out of 10. I would recommend it to others.

Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Good price, good performance, and useful for data reduction
  • "I like most of the features. Its speed, performance, and availability are valuable. We are implementing the data reduction technology the most."
  • "Their technical support needs improvement in terms of reachability for the clients and response times. They should be more responsive and have more online platforms for support. They should make more technical information available online. There could be some kind of documentation community."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data reduction technology. We are using this solution on-premises, and we are also providing services to customers.

What is most valuable?

I like most of the features. Its speed, performance, and availability are valuable. We are implementing the data reduction technology the most.

What needs improvement?

Their technical support needs improvement in terms of reachability for the clients and response times. They should be more responsive and have more online platforms for support.

They should make more technical information available online. There could be some kind of documentation community.

I have been using this solution for three or four years.

It is stable.

We are only using one box or enclosure for now. We don't have experience with scaling the systems. Our companies here don't need big systems for now.

Their technical support needs improvement.

The initial setup is very simple.

Its price is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate IBM FlashSystem an eight out of ten.

Technology Supervisor at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good availability and performance
  • "It's very easy to manage."
  • "The solution is quite expensive. That's one of the downsides to using it."

What is most valuable?

The availability of the product is great.

I appreciate how well it can scale.

The solution is stable. The performance is quite good.

It's very easy to manage. They make it very, very easy to add notes.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive. That's one of the downsides to using it.

I've used the solution over the last 12 months at least.

The stability is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's a very reliable product.

The scalability of the product is quite good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem at all.

We don't need any external support. We do it on our own.

The cost of the solution is too high. They should work to make it lower.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if the company I work for has any business relationship with IBM. I am just an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's been quite good overall and I like the capabilities it has.

Download our free IBM FlashSystem Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.