Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Digital Native Product Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexible, customizable, and fairly easy to set up
  • "The developer portal is very useful to customers."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved upon. We'd like it if it was less costly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for developing and publishing internally IPA (80% of the time). The other 20% of the time the product is used to create and develop an ecosystem with various partners.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients would best be able to speak to that. As we just assist them in the process, it's not on us to divulge such details.

What is most valuable?

The developer portal is very useful to customers.

The mediation aspect of the solution is very good.

Technical support is pretty good. We are pretty happy with their service overall.

The solution is flexible and offers good customization capabilities.

In general, the product isn't too technical.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs something that supports real-time streaming.

Apigee
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Our customers are users of the solution; we don't use it directly.

There are close to 60 users at the moment. They are from the development team, the application team, and managers mostly.

We have not spoken to our clients about increasing usage or scaling the product. I am unsure of their future plans in that regard.

We have used technical support in the past. They have been pretty helpful. There's a mission team that deals with them mostly. I don't have much information beyond that.

I am unsure if our clients used a different solution previously. I don't have access to that information.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't have any issues setting everything up.

We did a hybrid deployment, the entire process took us less than a month. It's not a long, drawn-out process.

We are consultants. We can assist our clients with the deployment process if they need help.

The cost structure could be adjusted to make the pricing more reasonable. If they improved, likely they would ope themselves to many more markets.

What other advice do I have?

We don't directly use the solution we are a service company so we help our customers use the product. We are consultants.

I can't say which version of the solution we're using at this time.

I'd advise other organizations that you have value any solution beyond a price comparison with other API management solutions. You will need to look at APS strategies needed in the organization and the importance of creating API products. Once that strategy is laid out you can put the right resources in place. Basically, everyone needs to have a plan first before investing in an API management solution.

In terms of Apigee, more exposure of the platform to wider stakeholders will definitely help in modeling best practice principles into EPA communication and evolution.

I would rate the product at a nine out of ten.

There's always room for improvement. However, it's not heavily technical. There's a lot of flexibility for developers to bring in customization. It's not rigid. If you have a team looking at APS cases, products, and you, how a corresponding APA team strategy, Apigee as a platform is very good. It's quite a comprehensive option.

Risk Management & Business Continuity Manager at STC Solutions
Great security with good mitigation capabilities and a straightforward setup
  • "The security provided by the solution is excellent."
  • "The integration could be improved within the solution. There is a need to pay more attention to this."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apigee as the API gateway. We also use it for our preparation. We use the API for security and a lot of other tasks. Our customer use cases don't have any legacy systems. We're using Apigee, however, Apigee doesn't provide for a subscribe-publisher capability. It meant Kafka was just to provide the matching capabilities of Apigee. However, mainly we consider this solution as the API gateway and management system.

What is most valuable?

The security provided by the solution is excellent.

It provides for an on-prem setup. That's very important for us. As the regulation of communication policies. To be able to provide the telecom companies that tool and install their products on-prem for easy management via cloud inside Saudi Arabia is great.

The solution provides very good mitigation capabilities.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution could provide publishing capabilities as API middleware.

We've just been using the product for a few months for a new project we are working on. It hasn't been that long.

The solution provides a very stable solution for us.

Our mother company has been using Apigee for maybe five years now. I talk with them about making assessments for selecting an API gateway solution. They didn't have any issues with scalability or monitoring. Apigee was perfect for them. We didn't face any issue with it in terms of scalability or even tenability. It's very easy to scale.

As an integrator, we have about five different clients who use this solution. They have a different number of users.

The technical support for the solution is pretty good. We're satisfied with the level of support Google provides. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

The initial setup isn't complex. The setup configuration offers a very simple approach for developing and deploying services in Apigee. It's straightforward. It's easy for our developers to apply a lot of services while offering a faster time to market.

Apigee is not cheap. It's expensive. At the same time, our company is already buying an enterprise license so any company inside the group can use it. In general, however, it's pricey.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Google.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Whether of not this is a good solution for a company depends on a lot of criteria. The budget itself needs to be considered, for example. Apigee is perfect. They provide good support. People from Google are very cooperative as well. They listen for feedback on features.

They don't provide a partnership to just any company. You need strong criteria to get a partnership and to be able to support and feature the license. I like this, to be honest with you. That's already making our implementation easy. We're only dealing with companies that know how to do work in Apigee setup and installation and configuration and they have a long history of providing strong criteria. In general, I recommend Apigee.

Apigee
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of API at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable with great usability and helpful technical support
  • "The usability is one of the best aspects of the product."
  • "The solution could add even more functionalities."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for exposing the APIs mainly.

How has it helped my organization?

The organization has benefited from the development of fast, new APIs and new integration points.

What is most valuable?

The usability is one of the best aspects of the product. It's broadly used in different functional areas. There is no specific one. It's used broadly almost in all the contexts that we have.

It's easy to set up.

Technical support is helpful and responsive.

The stability is great.

What needs improvement?

We started using the solution not so long time, however, it still started from scratch. So far, we have no improvements to note.

The solution could add even more functionalities.

I've been using the solution for two and a half years.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We have 20 to 30 people using the solution.

We've used technical support in the past and they were pretty helpful and responsive.

We previously used Mashery. We switched as Apigee was working better.

It's easy to set up the solution. It's a SaaS. The deployment can be handled by just one person. It's very simple.

We did not use an integrator, reseller, or consultant for the deployment.

I'm not sure if we've seen an ROI.

The licensing cost is quite in line with the other solutions. It depends on which perspective you see it. It could be affordable or expensive. It depends on the company. For the big companies maybe it's more affordable, for the smallest ones probably not.

There are packages that you can buy or add-ons that you can add, depending on the usage, depending on what you have to do with it.

We did look at other options, however, this solution was more fitting for the purpose that we had.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user.

I'd advise potential new users to understand if there is a fit as a product like this is pretty much covering the same functionalities as others on the market. There are not so many huge differences. It depends on what you have to do and what your capabilities are and what your vision is.

If you need more freedom, you can use other things like Kong or other products. Usually, all those products, at least the big players on the market, have the same functionalities. At that point, it's just a matter of questioning if the product is fitting the needs and the purpose that the company has or not.

New users need to question what they want to achieve and how they want to achieve it, how they're structured if they're working on the cloud or if they're working on-premise. They have to make some questions about the needs, the wishes, and the setup that they want to have.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Senior Technical Architect at ManuLife Financial
Enables us to do analysis with all the statistics you want to track
  • "The analytics feature is quite good."
  • "Apigee does not have a testing feature."

What is our primary use case?

We have hundreds of backend services, APIs, that are running. We want to protect and do analysis with calling externally, internally, and all the statistics we want to track using Apigee. That is the reason we're using the API gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen product improvement. Initially, we didn't use much of the analytics part. Later on, we saw that as an improvement. The rate-limiting quotas are improved as well.

What is most valuable?

The analytics feature is quite good. We can look at all the statistics, how many requests coming in, how many requests going out, what type of failures are happening, what is the performance of the APIs on those features. The solution helps us to track whenever there is an issue that comes in.

What needs improvement?

The only concern overall, with the organization, is cost-wise. I believe there is already a plan, within our organization, for moving to Azure API Management. The main reason is one of the features is a cloud-based, pay-per-use. And then, because a lot of our services are moving towards Azure, why have another network of API gateway.

The testing feature is one additional feature that I see is in APIM and it is not here. We can build our own demo web service and test your proxy. That feature has been provided in APIM, not in Apigee.

I've been using the solution almost three years now.

Overall, the solution is good.

The scalability is good. Our load has improved drastically in the last three years. The traffic has been increased, and we still see a good performance overall.

Mostly developers from different teams use it. And there are administrative teams maintaining the overall solution within the organization.

The technical support is good. As a user, we report to the admin team and they work with the consultants if they are not able to resolve the issue.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I've been told that the onsite setup was a little complex and there were a few restrictions as well.

We see a return on investment. As of now, it's good. But overall, cost wise, it is a little higher, comparative.

For Apigee, I think licensing is on a monthly basis. The cost increases as the usage increases. It's higher than many competitors.

Azure APIM is the one option we evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

From two or three years back using it to now, it's quite fast. The performance side is good.

It's a user-friendly product, it is. You can customize all you want, and the policies and the features they have are quite easy to use. Anyone can use it, drag and drop, and it supports a lot of other languages like JavaScript, non-JS, and all.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Google
Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
An API management tool with a good rate-limiting policy feature, but documentation could be better
  • "I like implementing different policies, for example, rate-limiting policy."
  • "More documentation on the Open Banking Standard will help."

What is our primary use case?

We are working on some client POC where we have all the workloads deployed on Google Cloud. We wanted a gateway that was more like an API Management tool. We wanted to manage all our APIs centrally in one place. For example, we can route the traffic. We can limit, we can perform throttling, we can have the security checks like the authentication mechanism implemented centrally. We can also have a reverse proxy to our service endpoint.

What is most valuable?

I like implementing different policies, for example, rate-limiting policy. We can create a custom rate-limiting policy, and we can have an application-specific rate-limiting policy. That's what we're implementing or using, and I like that feature.

What needs improvement?

More documentation on the Open Banking Standard will help. For example, WSO2 supports the Open Banking API, but I can't find relevant documentation from Apigee. I'm not sure whether Apigee even supports the Open Banking Standard. If they do, then I think they have left out the documentation for that. For example, WSO2 has extensive documentation and training available to everyone. In that sense, I think, Apigee can improve.

I've been using Apigee for a few months.

It's a stable product. It's easy to manage, and we have implemented it for our production deployment.

Apigee is a scalable solution.

I never tried reaching out to tech support because the documentation is good. The documentation is available, and there is some training available on Udemy and the product site. These nicely describe how to deploy or set up different policies, which was enough for us.

The installation is straightforward. You just need to get a license for Apigee and then configure the reverse proxy. Once you have the reverse proxy configured, you have to set up whatever policies you want. One or two guys were able to install, deploy, and host our reverse proxy for our endpoint within a day.

We went through the documentation and the website and deployed the solution ourselves.

All these technologies are using Google Cloud for hosting our microservices, and we trialed Apigee. We were also using WSO2, an open-source API management tool, but as everything is on Google Cloud, we chose Apigee.

What other advice do I have?

If your workload is already deployed on Google Cloud, integration is very easy. Even if your services are hosted in some other cloud, like AWS, I think you can use Apigee, but I haven't tried that approach.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Apigee a seven.

Global Practice Head at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good pricing with excellent API management and has the potential to scale
  • "The pricing is okay."
  • "The user interface could be better. It could be easier to navigate and more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for managing the interactions between channels, customer experience systems, and other systems.

What is most valuable?

The API management on the solution is very good. It's likely the most valuable aspect of the solution for us.

The pricing is okay.

It is possible to scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't really lacking any features.

The pricing model could be improved. Things can get expensive for larger companies, or organizations that are growing.

The solution should offer more training to partners. It would help in the understanding of the product by quite a bit.

I've been using the solution for three or four years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability of the solution is okay. We haven't run into any issues.

Larger customers typically have 14-20 users on the product.

For large transactions, the commercial model is proving to be a constraint to some of our customers. For example, they're asking, when the scale grows, the commercial option becomes expensive. Some of our customers, for example, ask for an alternative approach due to the cost of the commercial model.

That said, you can scale. It's not a challenge in terms of doing it, it's just a challenge in terms of cost.

I've never really had to contact technical support, and therefore can't really speak to their level of assistance.

Typically, if I need assistance, I turn to Google or forums and I seek help online that way.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't run into issues setting it up and rolling it out.

I'm part of a services organization. There are various developers, and Apigee users tend to be more than 300 people from our organization. In terms of support, there are 40 people. These are split across different customer organizations.

We are an integrator and can implement the solution for our clients.

The pricing starts off okay, however, for enterprise-level organizations, or companies that are scaling, the price can rise and become costly. If you don't scale too big, the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

We are systems integrators. We aren't just end-users.

In general, I would rate this solution at an eight out of ten. If the pricing in relation to scaling was better, or if they offered better partner training, I would rate them higher. There aren't really any features lacking and we're largely happy with the product.

Carlos Maximo Ramos - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Architect at Caja Los Andes
Best product with central monitoring, support for industry standards, and excellent documentation
  • "The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases. Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation."
  • "The developer portal's adoption of the OpenAPI standard needs to be improved. In the latest version of the developer portal, they have adopted the OpenAPI standard. This feature, however, can be improved by supporting more characteristics of the OpenAPI standard."

What is our primary use case?

We implement a set of microservices. We expose different APIs and control and monitor the use of the APIs by using Apigee. We have approximately 15 developers.

What is most valuable?

The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases.

Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation.

What needs improvement?

The developer portal's adoption of the OpenAPI standard needs to be improved. In the latest version of the developer portal, they have adopted the OpenAPI standard. This feature, however, can be improved by supporting more characteristics of the OpenAPI standard.

I have been using Apigee for approximately one year.

It is stable. I did a series of tests, and Apigee was excellent in the results.

Scalability is very good in the SaaS version.

In general, they respond very fast and provide good service. Sometimes, they take longer to respond. It can take three to four days.

We didn't use any API management solution.

The initial setup of Apigee is very easy. However, we had a problem with the deployment of Microgateway in on-premises infrastructure. The deployment took about two to three months.

We worked with a partner. We have three teams for deployment. Each team has five developers. These teams also do maintenance.

We have three people for the administration task. They do monitoring and reporting.

We have a contract for three years. I don't know the cost.

We evaluated API management solutions from Oracle, IBM. Most of the solutions are similar in terms of functionality. We went for Apigee because it had more points or better ratings as per Gartner and Forrester.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is a good solution for masking data, using methods like RPC, and administering APIs. We plan to continue using this solution. We have legacy systems in our company, and we need to move to new technologies. We plan to create developer APIs for the rest of the functionality and use Apigee for API management in our company.

I would rate Apigee a nine out of ten. It is an excellent product.

Private Cloud
Prabhas-Mishra - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
User-friendly platform for developing and managing APIs; offers good technical support
  • "A simple platform that's easier to work with than IBM API Connect. Support for it is really good and gives it advantage over other providers."
  • "Sometimes there are glitches, which means there's still room for improvement in the platform."

What is most valuable?

One feature I found most valuable in Apigee is its simplicity. All features remain the same in all of the API tools, and I have experience with IBM API Connect and Apigee, but Apigee is easier to work with, plus the learning curve is not that steep.

Another thing I like about this solution is that the support is really good, and this gives Apigee advantage over other providers.

I like the development feature of Apigee. You will find it easier to work with Apigee than IBM API Connect.

What needs improvement?

We found a glitch in Apigee, and we raised it with them: It's the response overlapping from the API with high traffic.

They have been working on that, and they have shared a patch with us, but I'm not sure if that is publicly available for all users. It was made available to our organization: one single patch of Apigee.

I've been using Apigee for over two years, and I've used it in the last 12 months.

This product is is stable.

Apigee is a scalable product.

Technical support for Apigee is very good.

I used IBM API Connect, but found it easier to work with Apigee.

I evaluated IBM API Connect.

What other advice do I have?

I'm both a user and an integrator of Apigee.

We have deployments both on-premises and via cloud. We use both, like Google SaaS and the on-premises solution.

We are a consultant for different organizations. Some organizations prefer on-premises deployment, with everything on their private cloud, and this means they use the older version of Apigee. Some organizations use the latest version because they're using Google SaaS directly.

My advice to people who are looking into implementing Apigee in their organization: If it fits your budget, then it is a good product. If it fits into your ecosystem, e.g. you are in that ecosystem, not in IBM or other CA-based ones, Apigee is something you can go for. It is a good platform.

I haven't worked with CA, and there are others, e.g. MuleSoft, so I can't comment on how Apigee compares with those competitors, but compared to IBM API Connect, Apigee is a good one.

I'm rating Apigee eight over ten. There's still room for improvement, so it's an eight for me.

Google
Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022