We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Rajender Reddy
Software Development Manager at Reliance Jio
Has good administration and monitoring features but there are issues with integration
  • "There are just a lot of security features in general."
  • "I see some lagging in regards to integration capacity"

What is our primary use case?

We use Apigee every day. Because we have a backend system, we use Apigee to capture and track all of our transactions and for monitoring calls, which is the target for our client service. We then use this information to create a report and provide a price for each transaction. For this reason, we created a proxy that we use as an integration layer, like API management, which helps build applications. For that reason, each and every call goes through Apigee so that we can track and capture all of the information.

What is most valuable?

There are a few features that are quite interesting. We can provide our API developer with an API proxy to the developer portal, which comes in handy. There are also some interesting policies, like authentication where we normally provide any code and quotas and rate limit policies for protection. The administration and monitoring features are also quite useful as you can receive alerts and notifications and monitor them on a virtual dashboard. There are just a lot of security features in general.

With Apigee, we can easily monitor applications, and our core IT team informed me that installing upgrades is very simple. We also have a portal where we can share our proxies with the convenors, which is quite useful.

What needs improvement?

When compared with other products and tools in the market like MuleSoft or other API management solutions, I see some lagging in regards to integration capacity — where we don't have all of the connectors. It's not the perfect ESB, it's only for API management solutions. For example, MuleSoft will provide you with the API management solution as well as ESB, allowing you to integrate with large, complex IT systems. So, there is some lagging there that needs to be fixed.

The main area they should improve is the integration capability. They should have useful connectors that we can use to provide code so that we can integrate with other systems. This needs to be improved.

When compared to other products, such as MuleSoft and other tools in the market, Apigee has some lagging issues.

Over the last three years, we haven't had any issues with the stability, both on-premise and on the cloud. It's a stable solution. We haven't experienced any error-value from the product.

Product-wise, we don't have any technical support, our IT team takes care of it. We also have a number of applications we are managing, but only two recruiters are monitoring them.

It's easy to create proxies in Apigee. Compared to other integration tools, we can quickly and easily export any APIs in Apigee, which saves us a lot of time.

The setup was taken care of by our core IT team, I was part of the development team so all activities relating to the setup, updates, and customer service were handled by the core IT team.

What other advice do I have?

We would definitely recommend Apigee. You can use Apigee to create proxies (and share API proxies with consumers), monitor calls, and provide security for particular endpoints. We have a complete telephone portal under Apigee, I would recommend it.

I would give Apigee a rating of seven or eight out of ten. The API moderation, administration monitoring, product architecture, infrastructure, and overall quality is good. The only area lagging is integration capability.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Digital Native Product Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexible, customizable, and fairly easy to set up
  • "The developer portal is very useful to customers."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved upon. We'd like it if it was less costly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for developing and publishing internally IPA (80% of the time). The other 20% of the time the product is used to create and develop an ecosystem with various partners.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients would best be able to speak to that. As we just assist them in the process, it's not on us to divulge such details.

What is most valuable?

The developer portal is very useful to customers.

The mediation aspect of the solution is very good.

Technical support is pretty good. We are pretty happy with their service overall.

The solution is flexible and offers good customization capabilities.

In general, the product isn't too technical.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs something that supports real-time streaming.

Our customers are users of the solution; we don't use it directly.

There are close to 60 users at the moment. They are from the development team, the application team, and managers mostly.

We have not spoken to our clients about increasing usage or scaling the product. I am unsure of their future plans in that regard.

We have used technical support in the past. They have been pretty helpful. There's a mission team that deals with them mostly. I don't have much information beyond that.

I am unsure if our clients used a different solution previously. I don't have access to that information.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't have any issues setting everything up.

We did a hybrid deployment, the entire process took us less than a month. It's not a long, drawn-out process.

We are consultants. We can assist our clients with the deployment process if they need help.

The cost structure could be adjusted to make the pricing more reasonable. If they improved, likely they would ope themselves to many more markets.

What other advice do I have?

We don't directly use the solution we are a service company so we help our customers use the product. We are consultants.

I can't say which version of the solution we're using at this time.

I'd advise other organizations that you have value any solution beyond a price comparison with other API management solutions. You will need to look at APS strategies needed in the organization and the importance of creating API products. Once that strategy is laid out you can put the right resources in place. Basically, everyone needs to have a plan first before investing in an API management solution.

In terms of Apigee, more exposure of the platform to wider stakeholders will definitely help in modeling best practice principles into EPA communication and evolution.

I would rate the product at a nine out of ten.

There's always room for improvement. However, it's not heavily technical. There's a lot of flexibility for developers to bring in customization. It's not rigid. If you have a team looking at APS cases, products, and you, how a corresponding APA team strategy, Apigee as a platform is very good. It's quite a comprehensive option.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Risk Management & Business Continuity Manager at STC Solutions
Great security with good mitigation capabilities and a straightforward setup
  • "The security provided by the solution is excellent."
  • "The integration could be improved within the solution. There is a need to pay more attention to this."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apigee as the API gateway. We also use it for our preparation. We use the API for security and a lot of other tasks. Our customer use cases don't have any legacy systems. We're using Apigee, however, Apigee doesn't provide for a subscribe-publisher capability. It meant Kafka was just to provide the matching capabilities of Apigee. However, mainly we consider this solution as the API gateway and management system.

What is most valuable?

The security provided by the solution is excellent.

It provides for an on-prem setup. That's very important for us. As the regulation of communication policies. To be able to provide the telecom companies that tool and install their products on-prem for easy management via cloud inside Saudi Arabia is great.

The solution provides very good mitigation capabilities.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution could provide publishing capabilities as API middleware.

We've just been using the product for a few months for a new project we are working on. It hasn't been that long.

The solution provides a very stable solution for us.

Our mother company has been using Apigee for maybe five years now. I talk with them about making assessments for selecting an API gateway solution. They didn't have any issues with scalability or monitoring. Apigee was perfect for them. We didn't face any issue with it in terms of scalability or even tenability. It's very easy to scale.

As an integrator, we have about five different clients who use this solution. They have a different number of users.

The technical support for the solution is pretty good. We're satisfied with the level of support Google provides. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

The initial setup isn't complex. The setup configuration offers a very simple approach for developing and deploying services in Apigee. It's straightforward. It's easy for our developers to apply a lot of services while offering a faster time to market.

Apigee is not cheap. It's expensive. At the same time, our company is already buying an enterprise license so any company inside the group can use it. In general, however, it's pricey.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Google.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Whether of not this is a good solution for a company depends on a lot of criteria. The budget itself needs to be considered, for example. Apigee is perfect. They provide good support. People from Google are very cooperative as well. They listen for feedback on features.

They don't provide a partnership to just any company. You need strong criteria to get a partnership and to be able to support and feature the license. I like this, to be honest with you. That's already making our implementation easy. We're only dealing with companies that know how to do work in Apigee setup and installation and configuration and they have a long history of providing strong criteria. In general, I recommend Apigee.

Senior Technical Architect at ManuLife Financial
Enables us to do analysis with all the statistics you want to track
  • "The analytics feature is quite good."
  • "Apigee does not have a testing feature."

What is our primary use case?

We have hundreds of backend services, APIs, that are running. We want to protect and do analysis with calling externally, internally, and all the statistics we want to track using Apigee. That is the reason we're using the API gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen product improvement. Initially, we didn't use much of the analytics part. Later on, we saw that as an improvement. The rate-limiting quotas are improved as well.

What is most valuable?

The analytics feature is quite good. We can look at all the statistics, how many requests coming in, how many requests going out, what type of failures are happening, what is the performance of the APIs on those features. The solution helps us to track whenever there is an issue that comes in.

What needs improvement?

The only concern overall, with the organization, is cost-wise. I believe there is already a plan, within our organization, for moving to Azure API Management. The main reason is one of the features is a cloud-based, pay-per-use. And then, because a lot of our services are moving towards Azure, why have another network of API gateway.

The testing feature is one additional feature that I see is in APIM and it is not here. We can build our own demo web service and test your proxy. That feature has been provided in APIM, not in Apigee.

I've been using the solution almost three years now.

Overall, the solution is good.

The scalability is good. Our load has improved drastically in the last three years. The traffic has been increased, and we still see a good performance overall.

Mostly developers from different teams use it. And there are administrative teams maintaining the overall solution within the organization.

The technical support is good. As a user, we report to the admin team and they work with the consultants if they are not able to resolve the issue.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I've been told that the onsite setup was a little complex and there were a few restrictions as well.

We see a return on investment. As of now, it's good. But overall, cost wise, it is a little higher, comparative.

For Apigee, I think licensing is on a monthly basis. The cost increases as the usage increases. It's higher than many competitors.

Azure APIM is the one option we evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

From two or three years back using it to now, it's quite fast. The performance side is good.

It's a user-friendly product, it is. You can customize all you want, and the policies and the features they have are quite easy to use. Anyone can use it, drag and drop, and it supports a lot of other languages like JavaScript, non-JS, and all.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Google
Bert Van Vugt
Founder & CDO at AppyThings
Good performance and scalability, and the tracing feature is valuable
  • "Tracing in Apigee is a very good feature."
  • "As it is now, the rotation of certificates is a manual task and is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Apigee is one of the API management products that we implement for our customers. Most of our clients want to expose their APIs to their consumers and they need to have a generic infrastructure for it. At the same time, they want it to be scalable as well as highly secure.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to fulfill all of our use cases with Apigee.

What is most valuable?

Tracing in Apigee is a very good feature.

The scalability and performance are both very good.

What needs improvement?

As it is now, the rotation of certificates is a manual task and is something that can be improved. It only has to be done once every two or three years, but I would state that there is still room for improvement.

We have been working with Apigee for five years.

The last time we had a disturbance was a year and a half ago, and it was due to an AWS infrastructure failure. Apigee was not to blame for it. For the most part, it has a very high availability.

We have some very large customers that make a billion API calls a month and we have never heard any complaints about scalability. It's not an issue.

About half of our clients are mid-sized companies, with approximately 5,000 employees, whereas the other half is made up of companies that are bigger than that.

We have engaged multiple times with Google's technical support. I can't say that they're necessarily very quick in their response. It can take a couple of days. That said, they're very knowledgeable and to the point. In the five years that we have been working with them, we have built a big network with them.

We use several similar solutions including Mulesoft, SAP, and Azure. Mulesoft is the one that we use the least and try to replace it with other systems. Out of ten customers, we have two using Azure, six using Apigee, and the final two using SAP.

The initial setup is very straightforward and we perform it as a service for our clients. Normally, it takes us about a week to get it fully operational with all of the rules in place, and fully onboarded.

When it comes to deployment, we have variety with our customers. 60% of them will use a cloud-based deployment, while the remaining 40% work on-premises. We are now just engaging the first customers using the new hybrid model from Apigee.

We perform the deployment and maintenance of Apigee for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Apigee is to use it as an API platform, and not as a full-stack integration platform.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Digital Finance and IFRS 17 Capabilities at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, allows for fast user engagement, and the technical support is responsive
  • "The flexibility allows you to quickly run a cloud-native application architecture."
  • "The ability to work across different management solutions in a plug and play fashion would make it easier for faster uptake."

What is our primary use case?

We've got quite a large technology footprint and I'm looking after the integration of our banking platform with our payment systems.

What is most valuable?

The REST API allows for faster user engagement.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is an area that can be improved, as it is a little on the higher side. It is more expensive when you compare to open-source products or other vendors.

I think it would be helpful if Apigee had support for voice-activated activities, rather than having to type.

More intelligence in terms of being able to learn from previous activities would be a good addition in the future.

I have been using Apigee for about two years.

Apigee is used on a daily basis in our payment systems.

It has performed relatively well from a scalability perspective.

We have about 15 users in the company. They are a mixture of engineers, architects, and administrators, with the majority being architects.

In cases where we have a problem and need support, we have an agreement in place with the vendor to help us navigate through it. They are good and respond to our issues quickly.

Apigee was our first choice for this type of product.

The initial setup is of medium complexity. End-to-end, we took about a week to get everything ready. This included the account, the proxies, the target endpoints, etc.

We received assistance from the vendor for our implementation.

Our in-house team is responsible for routine maintenance. This includes backup support, uptime support, patching, applying of certificates, etc. It is an ongoing activity and we also work with the business to continuously improve the integration, so that they are getting the value of the capability of Apigee.

My understanding is that there are costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Apigee is to first do research and an analysis of what they want to use it for, including specific use cases. It is a good tool but it is important to have well-defined requirements to avoid a high implementation cost and rework.

The requirements have to be very well documented and understood by all parties, especially those who will be involved in implementing it. Following this approach is an important step to getting a good return on investment.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
An API management tool with a good rate-limiting policy feature, but documentation could be better
  • "I like implementing different policies, for example, rate-limiting policy."
  • "More documentation on the Open Banking Standard will help."

What is our primary use case?

We are working on some client POC where we have all the workloads deployed on Google Cloud. We wanted a gateway that was more like an API Management tool. We wanted to manage all our APIs centrally in one place. For example, we can route the traffic. We can limit, we can perform throttling, we can have the security checks like the authentication mechanism implemented centrally. We can also have a reverse proxy to our service endpoint.

What is most valuable?

I like implementing different policies, for example, rate-limiting policy. We can create a custom rate-limiting policy, and we can have an application-specific rate-limiting policy. That's what we're implementing or using, and I like that feature.

What needs improvement?

More documentation on the Open Banking Standard will help. For example, WSO2 supports the Open Banking API, but I can't find relevant documentation from Apigee. I'm not sure whether Apigee even supports the Open Banking Standard. If they do, then I think they have left out the documentation for that. For example, WSO2 has extensive documentation and training available to everyone. In that sense, I think, Apigee can improve.

I've been using Apigee for a few months.

It's a stable product. It's easy to manage, and we have implemented it for our production deployment.

Apigee is a scalable solution.

I never tried reaching out to tech support because the documentation is good. The documentation is available, and there is some training available on Udemy and the product site. These nicely describe how to deploy or set up different policies, which was enough for us.

The installation is straightforward. You just need to get a license for Apigee and then configure the reverse proxy. Once you have the reverse proxy configured, you have to set up whatever policies you want. One or two guys were able to install, deploy, and host our reverse proxy for our endpoint within a day.

We went through the documentation and the website and deployed the solution ourselves.

All these technologies are using Google Cloud for hosting our microservices, and we trialed Apigee. We were also using WSO2, an open-source API management tool, but as everything is on Google Cloud, we chose Apigee.

What other advice do I have?

If your workload is already deployed on Google Cloud, integration is very easy. Even if your services are hosted in some other cloud, like AWS, I think you can use Apigee, but I haven't tried that approach.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Apigee a seven.

Google
Global Practice Head at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good pricing with excellent API management and has the potential to scale
  • "The pricing is okay."
  • "The user interface could be better. It could be easier to navigate and more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for managing the interactions between channels, customer experience systems, and other systems.

What is most valuable?

The API management on the solution is very good. It's likely the most valuable aspect of the solution for us.

The pricing is okay.

It is possible to scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't really lacking any features.

The pricing model could be improved. Things can get expensive for larger companies, or organizations that are growing.

The solution should offer more training to partners. It would help in the understanding of the product by quite a bit.

I've been using the solution for three or four years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability of the solution is okay. We haven't run into any issues.

Larger customers typically have 14-20 users on the product.

For large transactions, the commercial model is proving to be a constraint to some of our customers. For example, they're asking, when the scale grows, the commercial option becomes expensive. Some of our customers, for example, ask for an alternative approach due to the cost of the commercial model.

That said, you can scale. It's not a challenge in terms of doing it, it's just a challenge in terms of cost.

I've never really had to contact technical support, and therefore can't really speak to their level of assistance.

Typically, if I need assistance, I turn to Google or forums and I seek help online that way.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't run into issues setting it up and rolling it out.

I'm part of a services organization. There are various developers, and Apigee users tend to be more than 300 people from our organization. In terms of support, there are 40 people. These are split across different customer organizations.

We are an integrator and can implement the solution for our clients.

The pricing starts off okay, however, for enterprise-level organizations, or companies that are scaling, the price can rise and become costly. If you don't scale too big, the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

We are systems integrators. We aren't just end-users.

In general, I would rate this solution at an eight out of ten. If the pricing in relation to scaling was better, or if they offered better partner training, I would rate them higher. There aren't really any features lacking and we're largely happy with the product.

Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.