Chief Executive Officer at esupport Solutions Pvt ltd
Reseller
Easy to use and configure with very good scalability
  • "There are many fantastic features."
  • "There should be better integration and a way to configure multiple vendors into the same data center in order to offer more flexibility."

What is our primary use case?

We provide the solution to our customers. It's primarily used for security.

What is most valuable?

The reporting aspect of the solution is what is most valuable to us.

The solution is very easy to configure.

The product has been very easy to use.

We've found the stability to be very good.

The scalability is excellent.

The pricing of the product is reasonable.

We've been in touch with technical support and found them to be very helpful.

There are many fantastic features.

What needs improvement?

Often, customers don't end up using a lot of the features.

They should move more towards integration with other OEMs such as web application firewalls, et cetera. There should be better integration and a way to configure multiple vendors into the same data center in order to offer more flexibility.

We've been working with the solution for about seven to eight years at this point. It's been a while.

WatchGuard Firebox
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about WatchGuard Firebox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable in terms of performance.

We've found the scalability to be very good. There are no limitations. If a company needs to expand it, they can.

We've contacted technical support in the past. We've found them to be very good. They are helpful and responsive. I would say that we are quite satisfied with the level of support we've received.

The pricing of the product is pretty good. I would describe it as fair. It's not overly expensive.

One of our customers wanted us to compare this solution against Azure Firewall to see which would be better. We're still looking into that.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's a pretty fantastic solution overall.

Partner & Head of IT Strategy at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Stable, good price, and good intrusion detection capability
  • "I like intrusion detection the most."
  • "There could also be better reporting. For example, there should be more out-of-the-box management reports."

What is our primary use case?

We are WatchGuard partners, and we also use it on our own. We are using it for general firewall purposes and vulnerability management. We are also using some of the additional security stacks such as intrusion detection and so on.

We are one version behind the latest version. We have it on-prem at the moment, but some of our customers have private cloud solutions.

What is most valuable?

I like intrusion detection the most.

What needs improvement?

I'm pretty happy with it, but vulnerability management could improve a little bit in comparison to other parts, such as Cisco and so on.

There could also be better reporting. For example, there should be more out-of-the-box management reports. These two improvements would be nice.

I have been using this solution for around 10 to 15 years.

It's stable.

It's scalable, but I haven't compared it with others.

There are five people who are using it from an administrative perspective, but everyone is using WatchGuard because of the VPN.

I haven't interacted with them myself, but my colleagues state that their support line is good.

Its setup is of medium complexity. It's not super easy. Everything is in its right place, but it's not as complicated as other vendors. It's in the middle.

The deployment duration varies. Depending on your needs, it could take a few hours.

It's in the medium range. Its price is pretty good considering the functions and add-ons that are used.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise having a proper look at the features because there are a lot of different versions, scales, and limits on different Fireboxes. You have to decide in advance which one is good for you in terms of performance, future needs, and so on. You shouldn't have too many changes in your landscape.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

WatchGuard Firebox
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Management and owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good support that is knowledgeable, priced well, and has very few issues
  • "I like that this product has very few issues."
  • "The only downside is that it is missing an API, that you can use to easily collect information from it."

What is most valuable?

In regards to price and technology, it's a great solution.

I like that this product has very few issues.

What needs improvement?

The only downside is that it is missing an API, that you can use to easily collect information from it. Also, everything is proprietary with the WatchGuard software and that is a bit of an issue.

The API connection would be a very big improvement to get information from the system or to actually configure it with its own dashboard, for example.

Providing additional features would give it a more up-to-date management interface. They have only just entered the cloud since last year which puts them behind compared to other competitors, such as Fortinet, who has the advantage over that, but they have a disadvantage where they have several zero-day attacks on their devices.

I have been using WatchGuard for six or seven years.

Stability is the most valuable feature of this solution.

It's a very scalable solution, but we are not using it in a very large environment.

We use this solution because they have a very good support team. They are very knowledgeable about ways of implementing this solution in our industry.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It's fair pricing, but it could always be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest comparing the features of the competitors based on data consumption because that's where Firebox is winning.

Overall, we are quite happy with the Firebox solution and we have not seen any issues so far. This is why we are using it.

Andrew Keywood - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Specifix Limited
Reseller
A lower-end product that does the job, but doesn't do it very well
  • "The set up was quite straightforward and we handled it in-house. It took a few hours to deploy the product."
  • "There is room for improvement in the threat protection, data packet inspection, and performance of the solution. Generally, it's just a lower-end product. It does the job but doesn't do it very well."

What is our primary use case?

It's mainly an internet gateway that is used for internet gateway protection and remote access.

What needs improvement?

Compared to Palo Alto, for example, some of the main differences are zero-day protection, performance, deep packet inspection, and App-ID. I'm not really a fan of WatchGuard. We only use it with one client and we're trying to get them to get rid of it. I prefer to use Palo Alto instead. Industry analysts have voted Palo Alto the number one firewall for the last eight consecutive years, so if you want good protection, it's a no-brainer.

I have been working with this solution for 18 months.

The solution is reasonably stable.

I do not think the product is scalable.

The set up was quite straightforward and we handled it in-house. It took a few hours to deploy the product. One a scale of one to five, one being very hard and five being very easy, I would rate the set up as a five.

It is an entry-level product, so the price is cheap.

What other advice do I have?

The program requires maintenance, including updates, patching, and subscriptions.

My advice to someone considering this project would be to look into Palo Alto instead.

I would rate this solution as a one out of ten.

IT Officer at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
Organization improved exponentially, scaling at full capacity, and meets our needs specifically
  • "I have found the DNS Watch feature for intrusion and prevention response and APT Locker most valuable to me."
  • "I would like to see more training become available for us."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for my network security even when I am out of the office.

How has it helped my organization?

WatchGuard Firebox has improved our organization one hundred percent from before we started using it.

What is most valuable?

I have found the DNS Watch feature for intrusion and prevention response and APT Locker most valuable to me.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more training become available for us. I would like to see the port conflicts improved.

I have been using WatchGuard Firebox for the past five years.

The stability is good.

There is excellent scalability and we are using it at full capacity.

The initial setup is quite complex and difficult, especially for first-time users. You need to go on the website and study it before you start using the policy manager. Once you start using the policy manager it becomes easier.

We used a third party and the deployment time takes less than ten minutes.

The return on investment is that it saves us a lot of time from intruders creating problems.

The licensing can be a one-time purchase unless you need the extra services for example twenty-four seven support.

I did try pfSense and FortiGate and decided WatchGuard Firebox was what I needed.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate WatchGuard Firebox a nine on a scale of one to ten.

Information Systems Administrator at a logistics company with 51-200 employees
Highly stable, easy to use, and excellent support
  • "The most valuable feature of WatchGuard Firebox is its ease of use."
  • "WatchGuard Firebox could improve the speed of updates, such as new features or improvements. However, they are frequently improving the solution in many areas, such as geo-locations, definitions, and web blocking."

What is our primary use case?

We're using WatchGuard Firebox for multi-factor authentication (MFA), layer three switching, and to segregate our industrial network from our corporate network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of WatchGuard Firebox is its ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using WatchGuard Firebox for approximately six years.

The stability of WatchGuard Firebox is very stable.

WatchGuard Firebox is very scalable. We're using it in a redundant system with two stacked together. It has good redundancy and is good for failover.

Our whole company of approximately 100 users is using the solution.

The support from WatchGuard Firebox is very good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have one system administrator doing the support and maintenance of the WatchGuard Firebox.

We license the WatchGuard Firebox annually. There are different types of subscriptions available. We are paying approximately $15,000 annually. The cost can increase if you purchase different subscriptions.

What other advice do I have?

You can purchase the solution without support, but I would strongly recommend the support. The support is great.

I rate WatchGuard Firebox an eight out of ten.

Co3288Fnd9 - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to configure and great for troubleshooting

What is most valuable?

Watchguard Firebox is easy to use and easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could use improvement, because most of the firewalls available in the market come with the reporting built-in, with the memory and the hard disk capacity and all. With WatchGuard, the models we use, none of them support that part.

I have been using this solution for over 10 years.

It's really good for X and B level organizations due to the cost and the features. As a medium-level businesses, we are satisfied.

We have a regional office in Hong Kong, and our director and the owner of the company lives there. He prefers this solution so both companies can have the same product. That makes it great for negotiation and troubleshooting.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We use a local vendor, Blue Chip Sri Lanka, who is very good.

Our license is for a three year subscription.

I evaluated Sophos, but the cost was a little bit higher than this solution, so we went with this one instead.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

When choosing a product, make sure you understand your organizations requirements. Whatever the product you choose should ultimately match with your organization's number of users plus maintenance costs.

FlorianBUIS - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Administrator at CFA-INSTA
Provides decent security, is user-friendly, and has a good traffic monitor feature

What is our primary use case?

I'm a system administrator and we have a partnership with WatchGuard.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a useful traffic monitor. You can check if the packet in the unit works and analyze the proof quickly. It's very easy to use and provides good security.

What needs improvement?

We've found that sometimes the solution is not easy to understand and we need to bring in some specialist assistance.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is very stable.

We haven't needed to scale so I can't comment on that.

The support is good but we've had some difficult situations because not everyone in support is good when it comes to specific problems such as VoIP.

We previously used Cisco but there came a time when we needed to move to a more updated product.

The solution is difficult to implement without a specialist, especially the first time. It requires an IT technician. It's become easier for us to deploy ourselves now that we've had some experience.

Licensing costs are very reasonable and paid annually. If you need additional options they can be bought separately.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: partners
Download our free WatchGuard Firebox Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022