IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Shagun Mishra - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Amazing dynamic parameters, numerous customization, and superior customer service
  • "I love the customization skills that Tableau has, it is not restricted to what is built-in already."
  • "With performance tuning, it generates a pretty complex query when it is not required."

What is our primary use case?

I am into a new healthcare domain. I publish my dashboards and my audience are the providers.

How has it helped my organization?

I am not well-versed with the latest 2020 version of the solution, but I have heard that it has made parameters dynamic. For example, when we are publishing the dashboards, if we want the dashboards to be set as a default as the previous month, we do not have to modify it again and again. It can republish month after month using an assigned default. This will save me time from not having to redo the dashboard all the time. The dynamic parameters are amazing in Tableau, it has been improved in the latest version.

What is most valuable?

I love the customization skills that Tableau has, it is not restricted to what is built-in already. We have many customizable options and they come out to be very fancy and beautiful charts. Also, I like the extract feature that makes my dashboard run faster. The low-level security that Tableau handles works well. This solution is user-friendly and suitable for any type of user. Lastly, the dashboard and reports are very user-friendly to navigate.

What needs improvement?

This solution has some features which really needs to be improved. For example, the sorting feature, If we compare it with ClixSense, ClixSense has a direct sorting feature available to users. Wherein Tableau, we have to go and create a parameter, make it dynamic, force users to click somewhere else on the filter, and then maybe you can sort it. Tableau is really new for sorting features.

With performance tuning, it generates a pretty complex query when it is not required. We do not actually write 100 lines of code for a single KPI indicator. What we do is run the performance tuning model which will give 100-200 lines of code for a single KPI. That is not exactly an optimized query. While running performance tuning on the query, it should be pretty optimized, but it does not seem to be doing this.

Tableau
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using the solution for three years.

The solution is fairly stable. However, the issue is when it is time to upgrade. Upgrading a Tableau server is too tedious compared to other tools where normally you just have an update EXE file you run and it is done. This is not the case with Tableau, it requires the dashboard to go down for an hour and then we have to republish all the dashboards again.

The solution is scalable without a doubt.

This solution has the best technical support compared to any tool.

The solution is expensive but it depends on the customer's needs which will determine the cost of the licensing. How much they require and what package they want.

We have evaluated ClixSense in the past. With ClixSense, it is not as customizable as this solution, I would even say restricted. For each and every customization and format change, the basic stuff, it asks us to buy another extension. We will not be doing that.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has broadened my VA exposure and it has allowed me to do things differently with respect to VA concepts and visualization. I have a great takeaway from my experience with the solution.

I would recommend Tableau because of the amazing dashboards that are appealing and that also gives us the ability to create with far better customizations.

I rate Tableau an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Associate at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Is intuitive and easy to install and configure
  • "The best thing I like about Tableau is that you don't have to go for creating; it is calculated free."
  • "I have noticed that Tableau is not very compatible with ClickHouse. There's no direct connection to ClickHouse; you have to set up an ODBC connection."

What is most valuable?

Tableau is pretty intuitive. It has a great interface, and you can get multiple visualizations. The best thing I like about Tableau is that you don't have to go for creating; it is calculated free. Unlike Power BI, Tableau has create a calculated column with dimension.

Tableau is quite fast and provides connectivity to 75 plus data connections, which is great.

Also, installation and configuration are pretty fast and seamless in Tableau.

In Tableau, it's just the concept of creating one calculated column and one create calculated free. So, it's pretty simple, and it's pretty easy to locate and work on it.

What needs improvement?

Tableau's performance takes a hit if you have huge data. The stability and scalability could be improved.

I've been working for almost five plus years on Tableau.

Tableau's performance takes a hit if you have huge data. So in terms of stability, I feel that Cognos would be more stable because you can import all the metadata and store it in the Framework Manager. Tableau has scope for improvement regarding stability.

Tableau needs to be more scalable. The performance takes a hit if you have huge data. Even if you take an extract and you publish the extract and schedule it to refresh, if the report has multiple tabs, it can take quite a while to go from one tab to another.

We are going to scale the Tableau server so that it can accommodate more processes and can be more process inclusive.

We have a Center of Excellence team, and anytime we have an issue, we reach out to them. They then raise an incident or a ticket with Tableau technical support. In the case where we had 1 million rows and the Tableau data was failing to refresh, we shared the log with Tableau Center of Excellence. They came up with the findings that it's more of a database issue and not a Tableau server issue.

Installation and configuration are pretty fast and seamless in Tableau.

In general, if someone is new and wants to learn Tableau, it's around $70 per month.

I have experience working with Cognos and Power BI. Compared to Cognos, Tableau and Power BI are pretty fast. Cognos has the concept of Framework Manager where you can build a framework model. Once you build the model, then you have to release the package, and only then is the subset or the package of data available for reporting. Tableau and Power BI eradicate the dependency on a framework model.

With Cognos, installation and configuration wise the setup takes a bit of time. You have to install and configure and then make the data available. After that, you can do reporting. Unlike that, Tableau is very quick; you can just directly connect to Excel or a file on your desktop.

The connectivity, installation, and configuration are pretty fast and seamless in Tableau and Power BI, unlike those in Cognos.

From a license perspective, I think Cognos is the most expensive, then Tableau, and then Power BI.

If I were to rate these solutions on a scale from one to ten, I would rate Power BI at 7 and Cognos at 8.

What other advice do I have?

You can do a lot in Tableau, and on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at eight.

Tableau
July 2022
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Steve-Jose - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Research Analyst at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows me to connect to an Excel sheet to create a visualization, and comes with a free version that is helpful in developing data visualization skills
  • "The feature that is currently most valuable is the import feature where I can link to an Excel data source. I'm not using it with any other data source, such as SQL Server. I directly link it to an Excel sheet, and if I change anything in that Excel sheet, the changed data immediately gets reflected in the virtualization. This is something that is very convenient for me as of now."
  • "Its documentation can be improved so that a user can get a good hands-on experience. Tableau is well documented, and on their website, there are a lot of tutorials that are available for free. I started my learning process through those tutorials, but there are certain loopholes in those tutorials, which only got filled through a couple of good YouTube channels that talk about Tableau. YouTube helped me a lot. So, the documentation could be better, I understand that it is evolving day by day, and with more usage, there would be more such documentation."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for my personal use. I'm using Tableau Public. It is a downloadable version. I downloaded it to my system and installed it.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is currently most valuable is the import feature where I can link to an Excel data source. I'm not using it with any other data source, such as SQL Server. I directly link it to an Excel sheet, and if I change anything in that Excel sheet, the changed data immediately gets reflected in the virtualization. This is something that is very convenient for me as of now.

What needs improvement?

Its documentation can be improved so that a user can get a good hands-on experience. Tableau is well documented, and on their website, there are a lot of tutorials that are available for free. I started my learning process through those tutorials, but there are certain loopholes in those tutorials, which only got filled through a couple of good YouTube channels that talk about Tableau. YouTube helped me a lot. So, the documentation could be better, I understand that it is evolving day by day, and with more usage, there would be more such documentation.

There are a couple of features that are only available in the cloud version, and I would like to see them in the hosted version. We can only use them in a demo or temporary account for 10 or 15 days, but I would love to see those features in the hosted version that I am using, which is Tableau Public.

I have been using Tableau for almost one and a half years.

It is stable, but at times, I have seen that it doesn't work for certain datasets. If the data is not correctly sanitized, there are chances that you would end up having no visualization at all, even after spending a lot of time. So, sanitization is a must in Tableau as of now. Other than that, I've not seen anything else. There are no bugs, but if the data is not sanitized, you will not get any visualization. That is a problem.

It is pretty scalable. There is no doubt about it. In the cloud version, a live data source can also be integrated. So, it seems pretty scalable, but I've not tested how scalable that version is.

I don't have any experience with their technical support. Whatever I've learned to date is from online resources such as YouTube and my personal sources. I've not contacted Tableau support.

Its initial setup is quite straightforward. It took me a while to understand that this version is also available for free for users like me who want to understand the data visualization part, but its installation is pretty easy.

I'm using Tableau Public, which is free.

I compared it with QlikView, which is a leading data visualization tool, but because I had heard a lot about Tableau and I had seen that there is a lot of scope in the market to get hired, I decided to go ahead with Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Project Manager at a local government with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, stable, and offers competitive pricing
  • "The stability seems to be very reliable."
  • "There should be more widgets that would help less trained individuals create charts with less difficulty."

What is our primary use case?

I'm not using it on a daily basis. I've gone through the training and I've got my associate certification.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use and simple to understand. They make it very easy to navigate around it and to learn the product.

The solution is very easy to set up.

The pricing is good.

The stability seems to be very reliable.

What needs improvement?

Personally, I have not extensively used it, and therefore it's hard to think of areas that might need improvement as I haven't fully experienced every aspect of the product.

I'd like to see more advanced forms of charting, if possible.

Tableau probably does not have advanced big data analysis features. It's not in the same category. It doesn't have those features to the same degree as R. You do this recreational; kind of modeling and analytics. It does have some predictive items, however, it's very simple. You can't customize much.

The solution seems to be very stable. I wouldn't say that we have used it in a big data kind of way. We don't have big data; we're not really able to test Tableau to the limits.

Most of the companies that we work with that use it are medium-sized enterprises and is typically public companies or government organizations.

I can't really evaluate support services from Tableau. Our client agencies use them directly, and therefore they are the ones dealing with support. I don't have much experience on the support side.

Some of our clients also work with Microsoft BI. I'd personally worked with Talend, SAP HANA, and Power BI. I personally prefer Tableau due to its ease of use. With SAP HANA, I don't really have easy access to it. However, with Talend, if I wanted to, I could easily go to its website and download a copy of it.

The initial setup of the product is not difficult. It's very easy and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any troubles handling an implementation.

It's my understanding that the pricing of this solution is quite reasonable and very competitive. That said, I haven't really done an in-depth comparison against competitors.

What other advice do I have?

We are consultants and not exactly customers of the product itself. We run projects. We give policy guidance.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

If a company is looking for a way to create charts quickly, and communicate with charts, Tableau is definitely an easy place to start. Of course, users will need some training to understand how to create certain visualizations in Tableau. Other than that, Tableau is quite easy to set up. It's easy to connect to your data sources. Once you have connected to the data sources, you easily create the charts. There's a lot of options, a lot of charts that you can create. However, for the more advanced features, you definitely need some experience.

Associate Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good visualizations and good dashboards with a nice look and feel
  • "It's easy to use."
  • "If I have to develop any, for example, pie charts, I can develop them just fine. However, if I have to develop a donut chart, that I cannot do it in a simple way. There are tricks that I need to use if I have to design a donut chart. It should be more flexible and provide more visualization options."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for internal monitoring purposes.

What is most valuable?

I like Tableau a lot as its visualizations are great; there's no doubt about it. It's easy to use.

The look and feel and features are very good. Dashboarding is very good.

The product has been stable.

What needs improvement?

While my experience has been mostly positive, there are certain limitations, as every tool has.

If I have to develop any, for example, pie charts, I can develop them just fine. However, if I have to develop a donut chart, that I cannot do it in a simple way. There are tricks that I need to use if I have to design a donut chart. It should be more flexible and provide more visualization options.

It does not provide detailed reporting like other reporting tools such as Microstrategy or Cognos, or other enterprise reporting solutions.

If they could provide better reporting as well as visualization, it would be a perfect product.

Pricing is a major thing. If someone has to use it within an organization, it is not that cost-effective, especially when a competitor like Power BI or some other reporting tool comes almost free along with their cloud solution. If someone is opting for any cloud solution, any cloud platform, especially if I talk about Microsoft, they will give you Power BI almost free of cost, or at a minimal cost. In such scenarios, people would prefer using Power BI or a similar kind of tool rather than using Tableau. That is a major concern which Tableau should look into.

I haven't been using it continuously, however, I started using Tableau around six years back. Since then, there have been two projects in which I worked on Tableau. I did work with it in 2021.

The stability has been good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I'm not managing any scaling aspects. I'm basically from the development team. Every company has its own scaling goals. In my company, I don't really follow that aspect.

I can't say how widely used it is in my organization. When we deploy a tool, there are different teams. There are different stakeholders who are actually using it. I manage my team. I know about only my team, not other teams.

I'm not part of that team that manages the setup. I cannot comment on that.

As far as ROI goes, I'm not directly aware of it, however, likely you can Google statistics.

The pricing can't compete with Microsoft, for example, which basically gives their BI product away for free to those that purchase cloud products.

I'm also aware of solutions such as Microsoft BI, which is bundled into Microsoft Cloud products. It makes it less expensive for users if they are already heavily using Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Research & Development Expert at a energy/utilities company with 11-50 employees
Stable with a quick initial setup and good for managing data sets
  • "The initial setup is quick and easy and you don't need special outside assistance to set everything up."
  • "The integration with other program languages, like Python, needs to be better."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution in order to utilize the graphs. It offers a good diversity of graphs and I can manage different data sets together with Excel. I can publish it for my manager, if, in the future, I'm going to use it at work.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good capabilities in terms of responding to my requirements. My dataset is so small and I don't need any complex graphs. It makes it very simple.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other program languages, like Python, needs to be better. I know the capability is there, however, there needs to be better integration. There needs to be integration for machine learning and AI. That would help data analysts and data scientists quite a bit.

I've only been using the solution for a few weeks at this point. I'm working on gaining some experience and familiarity with the product.

I've found the solution to be quite stable and reliable so far. I haven't used it long, however, I can't recall it crashing or freezing. I haven't experienced bugs or glitches. Its performance is good.

There might be about 20 people in our organization that use the solution.

I'm not sure if we will continue to use the product. Currently, I've only used it for a few weeks, and I'm learning it. However, our organization seems to like to work with Oracle. I'm not sure if we will focus on that or not in the future.

I've never used Oracle's technical support in the past. I can't speak to how well they help users with issues or how fast they respond.

I've worked a bit more with Power BI.

Our organization also works with Oracle's Analytics.

The installation was very, very easy. I didn't have any issues at all. It wasn't complex.

The deployment took less than 15 minutes. It was very fast and seamless.

I handled the implementation myself. I only had to download it onto my own PC.

Our company hasn't yet made a decision on the product in terms of long-term usage. I'm not sure what the licensing status is at this point.

What other advice do I have?

We're just potential customers and end-users of the product. We don't have a business relationship with Tableau. I'm very new to the product and still really just testing it out to see how I could potentially work with it in the future.

I'm working with the latest version of the solution.

Overall, in my short time using the product, I've been largely happy with the results. I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten.

Senior Manager.Marketing Strategy & Analysis. at a marketing services firm with 10,001+ employees
Expensive, not scalable, but customizable
  • "The solution has great features which nobody can beat, you can do a lot of customizations, such as use different dimensions and colorize them. Additionally, you can use the numeric values for the customization, which is an exceptional feature."
  • "Whenever it comes to specialized visualization, Tableau is an absolute failure."

What is our primary use case?

We use Tableau for data analysis. We integrate 15 sources of data and then that data is brought into AWS. From the AWS, the data is uploaded onto a dedicated Tableau server where we have all our dashboards running. We then run code on the data to return results, such as the regression and causation.

What is most valuable?

The solution has great features which nobody can beat, you can do a lot of customizations, such as use different dimensions and colorize them. Additionally, you can use the numeric values for the customization, which is an exceptional feature.

What needs improvement?

There is a lack of visualization in Tableau which could be improved. For example, if you want to do a Sankey in Tableau, you have to do a lot of work to do it. Sankeys are available, they are for sale for a minimum of $400, which is out of the question. Whereas if I wanted to do a Sankey, it is simple for me to use a free visualization and put in the data, and from what I already have, receive a fancy Sankey.

Whenever it comes to specialized visualization, Tableau is an absolute failure.

The integration between Tableau and our statistics software or other software, such as Python is very loose and undefined. If they improve that it would be a benefit.

I have been using Tableau for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

If I have web analytic data on session IDs, Tableau or Power BI both fail miserably in scalability because you are not able to go on a session-level and have 18 million rows fire up visually.

We have approximately 100 users using the solution.

The initial setup is simple.

We had a local team of two technicians that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

We are on an annual license which costs us $1,400 which is very expensive. Microsft BI is less expensive.

I have evaluated Microsoft BI.

What other advice do I have?

The reason why we are not getting rid of Tableau is because of legacy reasons. Legacy, meaning it is being carried over and our organization does not have time and energy to transfer everything to Microsoft BI.

I will not give any credit to Tableau or Power BI for the very simple reason that everything is in the hands of the developer of how you visualize the data. There is not any magic in what Tableau is doing, the magic is from the developers who are creating the visualization. Any visualization tool which gives that capability sets you apart.

I would not use Tableau if I am working out of a financial organization because it is lacking fancy visualization. However, if I was a bank or a government organization where I am only looking at trend charts and bar charts I think Tableau comes out ahead of other solutions, such as Microsoft BI.

I rate Tableau a five out of ten.

Private Cloud
Guillermo (Bill) Cabiro - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Development at Strat-Wise Consulting
Tableau provides very fast interactive visual analysis.

I do use both Tableau and QlikView. Although very different, I really like both solutions. They belong to the new BI generation known as Interactive Visual Analytics.

In my opinion, QlikView has a more intuitive interface for regular users or executives that are not technical experts but the development side is a little more complex. Up to version 12 QlikView did not provide drag & drop features.

If a user wanted to see something not included in the application the new object had to be created by a power user or developer because Qlikview's scripting has somewhat of a learning curve.

On the positive side, QlikView's scripting is a great asset as it functions as an ETL allowing the integration of hundreds of different data sources into the same visual app.

Another feature that’s extremely useful is Qlik’s proprietary Associative Model that allows the users to visualize data relationships that exist as well as those that do not.

Tableau on the other hand is a lot easier to use for developers, analysts or power users who need to connect, manipulate and visualize data rather quickly. While this makes Tableau a better fit for the more analytical crowd, it may not be as appealing or intuitive to the regular or casual business users as QlikView is.

Tableau has full pivot, drag & drop and drill down capabilities that are great for developers or power users. They can rotate measures and dimensions and graph them instantly using visualization best practices as suggested by the "show-me" feature.

Tableau’s provides a forecasting function and the capability to connect with the open source statistical program R to include predictive modeling.

Tableau includes a Data Interpreter that makes data cleansing, column splitting and crosstab pivoting very intuitive. Tableau’s latest versions allow joining tables from different data bases and have included the hyper data engine that provides 5 times faster query speeds.

The latest version includes "relationships" with an algorithm that makes
the necessary data connections automatically with no need to perform joins or add Level of Detail scripts (LOD) to eliminate duplicates. However one can still create joins to override relationships if for some reason it was necessary.

Also when opening older files containing joins they are kept under a
"migrated data base" or the migrated joins can be deleted to be replaced with simpler automatic relationships. Tableau releases updated versions once a quarter.

Both Tableau and Qlik continue to be excellent. They are positioned at the top of the leader's quadrant in Gartner's 2022 Magic Quadrant report for BI and Analytics platforms.

In my experience the choice depends on the fit with the company culture and the users' profile.

Qlik introduction of their new platform called “Qlik Sense” provides intuitive drag & drop functionality to create visualizations. At this point Qlik Sense Desktop is free for personal and small group of cloud business users that need to easily develop analytic applications on their own - with virtually no IT intervention.

Recently Tableau has moved to a subscription based model but still offers free products: Tableau Public and Tableau Reader to ease the user entry process.

It certainly seems like Qlik Sense is an attempt to regain some of the impressive growth Tableau has enjoyed during the last few years playing in the truly self-service visual BI segment.

it_user952008 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user952008SEO Executive at a tech services company with 11-50 employees

Thank you Mr.Guillermo (Bill) Cabiro You Had shared a Great knowledge about Tableau and Qlikview and I had learn More information in this post Thanks a lot...https://onlineitguru.com/tableau-online-training-placement.html

Download our free Tableau Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022