We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Lead of Business Intelligence at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Good visualizations, and it is easy to create dashboards, charts, and graphs
  • "It is very easy to create dashboards, charts, and graphs."
  • "The Hyper Extract functionality is not as strong as that provided by Microsoft SQL."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Tableau for reporting and visualization. Visualizations are important to us.

My role is primarily concerned with financial planning and financial reporting.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to create dashboards, charts, and graphs.

What needs improvement?

Tableau is not as strong as Oracle OBIEE in some regards.

We have been using Tableau for six years, since 2014.

Tableau is quite stable.

The scalability of Tableau is very good and I don't have an issue with it.

I have not dealt with technical support personally. We have a specific person that communicates with them.

We also use Microsoft BI and Oracle OBIEE for reporting. I think that Tableau's features are much better than those of OBIEE and although Microsoft BI has better performance, Tableau is still the one that I like the best.

Tableau is much more expensive than Microsoft BI.

The initial setup is not complex. This is one that I can set up on my own, unlike a solution such as EnterprsieOne, which I cannot.

The professional version of Tableau is quite expensive. This is in comparison to some other products, such as Microsoft BI, which is only $110 per year.

What other advice do I have?

Subject Matter Expert, IT Operations Management, CS Professor at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Good data visualization features like heat maps and story boards
  • "I like Tableau's heat maps and the storyboard. You can create data stories and tons of visuals with it, and it goes together really well. Tableau lets you manipulate the data in various ways."
  • "The price of Tableau is too high."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a computer science professor and I teach analytics. We use Tableau to teach students how to develop visualizations of data sets.

What is most valuable?

I like Tableau's heat maps and the storyboard. You can create data stories and tons of visuals with it, and it goes together really well. Tableau lets you manipulate the data in various ways. But since we are teaching, we have to accommodate the needs of the students. Often, we have to go back to basic stuff like Excel because that is what the students will be working with at whatever jobs they get. So we try to use the type of tools that their workplace will offer. We know Excel is widely used and Tableau is not.

I've been working with Tableau for about half a year or so.

It's an individual solution so it works on as many desktops as you can download it to.

We were using Azure, but we're trying to get away from that because Microsoft is very expensive. We're trying to keep our expenses down while trying to find some decent products.

Setting up Tableau is straightforward. You just can download it and set it up on your system in five minutes.

The price of Tableau is too high.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Tableau eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Luan Sirtoli
Senior Software Engineer - Salesforce at DataGo
Functional BI solution that can be used for reporting for clients across a broad range of industries
  • "The best use case for us is the solution's integration with Salesforce because we are also partners of Salesforce."
  • "Some of our clients are looking for better UI when using Tableau as they often work with this solution directly."

What is our primary use case?

We have diverse use cases for Tableau for our clients who come different industries including manufacturing of ornamental stones, clothing and automotives. These clients have been using Tableau for tasks such as tracking leads, finances and stock management.

What is most valuable?

Tableau makes it easy to build panels. The best use case for us is the solution's integration with Salesforce because we are also partners of Salesforce.

What needs improvement?

Some of our clients are looking for better UI when using Tableau as they often work with this solution directly.

The solution could be improved by facilitating integration with data lakes such as Google Cloud Platform. Some of our clients have around 1 billion lines in their tables and usually we need to scale them from MySQL to a Google Cloud Platform.

We have been partners with Tableau for three years and have been using the solution for four years.

This is a scalable solution. We have databases from 1 million to 100 million roles that run very fast.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Some of our clients have seen a ROI with Tableau within five to six months as they previously had no BI solution in place.

What other advice do I have?

When presenting Tableau to clients, we show them how Tableau works and how it integrates as a bundle with other partners such as Salesforce. These integrations make the management of data easier.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Data Analyst at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great for creating graphs and visualizations; very intuitive UI
  • "Easy to create graphs and visualizations."
  • "Lacks customization in some areas."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution primarily for reporting purposes but also for visualizations and dashboards.

What is most valuable?

The real value of this solution is that it makes it extremely easy to create graphs and visualizations. It has a very intuitive user interface and it's a relatively easy learning curve, so it's easy to pick up for most people. It has some great out-of-the-box features.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a greater ability for customization because there are certain things that are lacking in that area.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I haven't dealt with the tech support but from what I hear they're pretty solid.

The initial setup was quite straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to make sure that your data is in a good format before feeding it into the tool. It might also be worthwhile to have some sort of ETL tool to use in conjunction with Tableau, something like Alteryx or Tableau prep, because sometimes you may need to manipulate your data into a specific format to create the types of visualizations and things that you want. You might have the right data, but if it's not in the right format it might be difficult to do certain things in Tableau. My advice would be to get the ETL tool prepped and ready to go before you start pumping it into Tableau.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Operations Manager at iWantGreatCare
Good filters for data security, but reports should be downloadable as PDFs
  • "This solution has improved insights into quantitative data."
  • "Reports should be downloadable as PDF files."

What is our primary use case?

I used this solution for providing dashboard analytics from MySQL data.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved insights into quantitative data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the user filters for data security and subscriptions to distribute images of reports.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the solution should be improved.

Reports should be downloadable as PDF files. Emails containing images of dashboards can  be scheduled, but there is still demand for creating printable PDF snapshot views of dashboards. UPDATE - In fairness to Tableau, with the right design, dashboards that are downloadable can be created ad-hoc.

I have been using this solution for three years.

Good

Good - by licebnse model can be replaced by an enterprise model solution for large numbers of licenses.

Good - customer success program is a great service

I've looked briefly at Google Data Studios (good basic solution) and Amazon QuickSight which also looks good.

Check that you need the functionality that you pay for - Tableau is not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

None

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Founder at a tech services company with self employed
Reseller
Good pricing with an excellent set of features and good AI capabilities
  • "The ease of presenting findings is very helpful."
  • "When I've done presentations in the past, I've had issues with uploading the cartography."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for analytics purposes.

What is most valuable?

The preparation of data is very easy.

The ease of presenting findings is very helpful.

Overall, the solution is very user-friendly.

It's very easy for end-users to navigate the solution.

There are a lot of very useful features within the product.

They've recently adjusted their pricing model and we find it to be much more reasonable.

There are new AI functionalities on offer. However, I still need to fully test them and therefore haven't used them to their full potential just yet.

What needs improvement?

The company that I am currently working with has been using the solution for about a decade - around ten years or so. They've had a lot of time to get to know it.

The pricing is pretty good. Previously, we found the pricing to be higher than the competition, however, they've adjusted it recently and it's much more competitive. We now find it to be quite reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant and I work with a direct reseller.

I don't work on the tool myself, however, we propose the tool to be implemented in other departments.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been pretty satisfied with its overall capabilities.

Senior Product Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Good solution for routine dashboards but its visualization could be stronger
  • "Tableau is good for routine dashboards, and it has integration with Slack, through which it can send you daily updates."
  • "Areas for improvement would be visualization and augmented analytics. In the next release, I would like to see automated insights from the data added to the dashboard."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement would be visualization and augmented analytics. In the next release, I would like to see automated insights from the data added to the dashboard.

I've been using this solution for about six years.

Tableau can be a little slow when loading, and it can fail with higher gigs or terabytes of data.

From working with my data analyst, I get the impression that Tableau can't take the load when scaling.

We had embedded technical support from Tableau in our enterprise, who was awesome and kept Tableau updated at all times.

What other advice do I have?

Tableau is pretty good, interface-wise - it's easy to understand and to download data. It also has the most functionalities and capabilities of any tool. However, it doesn't have anything that differentiates it from its competitors, unlike Adobe Analytics' strength in visualization and data capture. If someone is looking for routine dashboards and wants operational dashboards, Tableau is the best solution. However, if they want to drive strategic decisions, they may have to look into a different product. I would rate Tableau as seven out of ten.

Senior Data Analyst at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Good data handling, and community support, but it's overpriced and the interface needs improvement
  • "Data handling, visualizations, and aesthetics of it are the most valuable features."
  • "When compared to Power BI, it is less user-friendly."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

When compared to Power BI, it is less user-friendly.

The interface needs a major overhaul.

I have been working with Tableau for eight to ten months.

We are working with the latest version.

Tableau is a stable product.

It's a scalable solution.

There is technical support available, but it is not as comprehensive as Power BI, because obviously, it's a Microsoft product, but you can find some useful information. The community is good, but outside the community, help is scarce.

The initial setup is easy.

It is a bit overpriced. They could decrease the price a bit.

When compared to Power BI or Qlik, Tableau is overpriced when you go with creative licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing Tableau, It would be better if they looked at Power BI instead. They offer everything that Tableau does, but in a much more user-friendly manner, with much more support, and at a lower cost.

I would rate Tableau a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
Download our free Tableau Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.