IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Jean-François Houzeaux - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Architect at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
Affordable, easy to set up, and offers a variety of diagrams
  • "We have found the stability to be very reliable."
  • "The user interface is not so good. It's not easy for someone to use it at first. The product takes some getting used to."

What is our primary use case?

Mostly, we are using the solution around the IT department. We use it for functional analysis. That said, I have also tried for two years to use it more in business cases.

What is most valuable?

The variety of diagrams available is excellent.

You are able to combine different diagrams together and to use a UML component in a different diagram, for example. It's quite flexible.

The initial setup was pretty easy.

The solution is scalable.

We have found the stability to be very reliable.

The solution is affordable.

What needs improvement?

In the next update, I would like to see more integration with databases in the cloud. For example, Amazon. I'd like that mostly to plug the Sparx tool above any Azure database or Amazon database in the cloud.

You do need to set up something separate in order to broadcast or share information. That's not so easy to do with the product itself.

I've used the solution for 14 years at this point. It's been well over a decade.

Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

While we have had performance issues in the past, it was mostly due to the database we had chosen a few years ago. We've since moved over to another one and now it's really good.

We have 25 people in our company that directly deal with this product.

The solution is very easy to scale. It's no problem at all. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

I used technical support maybe two years ago for the first time. Mostly, I look online and all around for discussion articles. I have to say that Sparx has a lot of documentation and articles and user groups that users can just dig into and find information. I just asked a question a few years ago about a possible feature that I wanted to see in the next version. It wasn't really for troubleshooting.

The first setup was 14 years ago, and therefore it has been a long time. However, it is very easy and not overly difficult.

The maintenance involved is all about the database. We moved from an old database to a newer one. However, that's it. There is no maintenance, events, or tasks to schedule regularly.

We did not need a vendor to assist us. We did not use a consultant or integrator. We implemented the solution ourselves and we were able to configure it in-house as well.

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

The pricing is reasonable. It's not overly expensive. The price to quality ratio is very good.

Extra costs are mostly related to the training part. The tool is not very user-friendly. Most of my time is around training new users around UML and organizing the information. There are too many ways to use the tool and to organize, and a couple of guidelines are very essential to keep the value up. Training is very important and useful.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I'm currently using the latest version of the solution at this time. I can't speak to the exact version number, however.

I would definitively recommend the solution to any IT department as it's very cheap and very powerful. However, it is not very user-friendly. It's a modeling tool, and modeling is not very popular typically. That said, you can scale it to fit the requisite departments.

Owner at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
MSP
A cheap, flexible, and capable tool with good scripting and automation support
  • "There are a couple of things. Price is one thing, but we also like the scriptability of it. We got into scripting it and automating tasks with it, and it is super duper easy to do and helpful. The API has improved over the years. We automate everything, and I love the automation aspects of it."
  • "It took me a while to figure out how to use the report generation features effectively. So, it would be really nice if they had a way to make that a little bit more interactive and a little bit more straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data modeling, business process modeling, and all kinds of enterprise architecture tasks such as DoDAF, ArchiMate, SysML, and UML. We do a lot of data modeling, model transformation, and GIS modeling with it.

We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

There are a couple of things. Price is one thing, but we also like the scriptability of it. We got into scripting it and automating tasks with it, and it is super duper easy to do and helpful. The API has improved over the years. We automate everything, and I love the automation aspects of it.

What needs improvement?

Its documentation is not 100% perfect, but it is good enough. It is powerful, but because it is so powerful, it is sort of arcane.

Something that is a little bit annoying is that the changes that you make to models are instant and permanent. So, you have to be careful with what you do, and you should do a backup or have some kind of a version control scheme in there. I'm used to Word where you can hit Control+Z and undo what you just did. It is not quite that way in Enterprise Architect. There are cases where the model changes, so you got to be careful with what you do before you change the model.

I set up our Pro Cloud Server literally last week. I've used EA for 10 years or more.

I don't think I've ever had it crash before.

They're amazing. They're a great company. All my interactions with them have been outstanding. So, they're good.

I've used a few other tools such as public domain RG and System Architect. EA is a good, cheap, flexible, and capable tool.

EA is extremely easy to set up and use once you know what you're doing. You really do need to have some kind of an overview from someone to get it started. They have good online tutorials, so you can get going. It is pretty easy to get going.

It is cheap.

What other advice do I have?

I am about to do testing of interoperability between EA, System Architect, and a few other things. I'll be really interested to see how the ins and outs of sharing artifacts between those two capabilities work.

I would advise others who are looking into implementing EA to get training. I learned it the hard way. I'm hardheaded, and I just went at it myself, but getting training is going to be a helpful thing on what to do and how to do it correctly. I would learn how to do what you're trying to do before buying a tool to do it. Data modeling is not just about the tool, it is about the actual data modeling itself. So, if you're going to do enterprise architecture, you have to take enterprise architecture training from The FEAC Institute or another institute. Instead of just going right in and using the tool, it is better to be trained. I train my people in what they're doing and not just the tool. They do it way better when I give them the tool.

I would rate Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect an eight out of 10. We do a lot of things with it, and it is a great tool, but no one is a 10.

Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect
July 2022
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Software Engineer / Application Developer & Systems Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up with lots of features and mostly stable
  • "There are a lot of features in Enterprise Architect. It allows us to take on a lot of tasks."
  • "The solution needs to offer better support for the mobile-based system. Right now, it's not working."

What is our primary use case?

I'm primarily using the solution for architecture design.

What is most valuable?

The product has an easy initial setup.

The product is fairly stable.

What needs improvement?

Many items are not actually handy, I would say. Many things which should be working - regarding some techniques - are not working and seem to be buggy. Recently, I was trying to perform a task and I was thinking about getting in touch with Sparx about it. However, I started with confirming my concerns with colleagues, and now I would like to somehow report it to Sparx and ask them if the way the task is being handled a bug or feature.

For example, there seems to be inheritance between blocks. I know inheritance from programming, and I checked that this mechanism is still working in MagicDrawer. However, it's not working in Enterprise Architect almost at all. Some things which should be inherited are not inherited, or if they are inherited after, let's say, deleting the inheritance dependency that still remains in the target block. It is not logical, at least for a programmer.

I haven't been using the solution for very long just yet. It's only been about four months or so since I first began working with the product.

The solution is rather stable. I've only had two times crashes in the several weeks. Typically, I don't have too many issues with it. There are some bugs every once in a while, however.

I can't really speak to the scalability of the solution. It's not something that I've actually attempted. It may be scalable, however, without actually trying, I can't say.

The solution is widely used in our organization. We're very likely to continue using it, however, I can't say that with 100% certainty.

I haven't yet contacted technical support. I have questions for them, and I will likely in the future, however, I haven't yet and therefore can't speak to the responsiveness or level of knowledge they have.

I'm currently considering using MagicDraw.

The initial setup was not complex. It was a pretty straightforward task.

The deployment was quick and we had it up and running in 50 minutes or so.

We handled the implementation in-house. We didn't need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

I don't have any insights into the costs of the product. I don't know if it is expensive or reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer.

The product is a standalone application on my site. It's licensed from the cloud.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the product. This tool has so many features. It depends on what a person needs to use. Generally, I've experienced some limitations from all the solutions that I've found - including this one. It's too complicated of a software solution to definitively recommend.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Maja Jakobik - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions architect at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
A wide, stable, and intuitive solution with a lot of possibilities and support for standard modeling languages
  • "Modeling is a part of my work, and it has a lot of standard modeling languages. It is quite wide, and a lot is possible in it. We are not programming it ourselves, but if you are into programming and developing software yourself, you can go further and do a lot with Sparx. You can work from the framework and go into the details. With this solution, you get a lot of value at a low cost. It is also quite intuitive in terms of use. I like the use of it."
  • "The fact that you can do a lot yourself is a plus point, but it also becomes a challenge because you need an understanding of the programming languages to get things to work. It becomes challenging for those who are not very good at programming. You have standard reports, but if you want to make your own reports, you have to program it. Similarly, if you want validations rules, you have to take care of them yourself."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a big government organization, and I am an advisor. I provide advice about the standard IT solutions, BI solutions, and integration solutions. I advise about the standards that we have. We are trying to make everything as standardized as possible for the whole organization. While advising, I think about whether a solution is good enough and meets the standards. I also consider if we have to do some upgrades or if we need to change the solution. I only give advice. I am not the one making decisions.

What is most valuable?

Modeling is a part of my work, and it has a lot of standard modeling languages. It is quite wide, and a lot is possible in it. We are not programming it ourselves, but if you are into programming and developing software yourself, you can go further and do a lot with Sparx. You can work from the framework and go into the details.

With this solution, you get a lot of value at a low cost. It is also quite intuitive in terms of use. I like the use of it.

What needs improvement?

The fact that you can do a lot yourself is a plus point, but it also becomes a challenge because you need an understanding of the programming languages to get things to work. It becomes challenging for those who are not very good at programming. You have standard reports, but if you want to make your own reports, you have to program it. Similarly, if you want validations rules, you have to take care of them yourself.

I have been using this solution for about five years.

It is stable.

We don't have a lot of users because we are not developing the software ourselves. We just use a few models of the software.

We have our own functional maintenance. We also have an external company for technical support. They get in touch with Sparx's technical support if needed, but I don't have an idea about if they need support.

Its price is very good for the value that you get with it.

What other advice do I have?

It can do so many things. Because of this, sometimes, it can be a bit difficult to find what you need, which is logical and expected in every tool with a lot of features. It is kind of a project in itself to learn to work with it. It is quite easy when you work with it for some time.

It is a very good solution. Before you start, I would recommend considering the following:

• How will you use it?
  • Do you need a central database or does everything work separately?
  • Do you need a lot of exports and imports for other things?

There could be challenges in terms of the integrations of the models and when there are a lot of people working on it. You need to think about who is given what rights, and you shouldn't let everyone work on everything because it could become a mess. You need to think carefully about how to organize your work before you start working with it.

I would rate Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect an eight out of ten.

Ivan Karev - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Good tuning for multiple layers but it needs to integrate with TRM solutions
    • "It provides good utilization and it's a convenient tool for building exact architectural work."
    • "I would like to see integration with Confluence or any other TRM, and the capability to integrate with the data storage, such as a repository similar to GitHub."

What is our primary use case?

We started to build an architecture based on this tool.

We use if for enterprise architecture with multiple domains.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it provides tuning for multiple layers of enterprise in the business application architecture.

We can use the same tool for a different audience. It helps our enterprise architects in building their diagrams. It helps with the handling of the application architect when it comes to the development team.

What needs improvement?

One of the drawbacks is that it is oriented on architecture and not user-presented.

Also, one of the disadvantages is that it doesn't provide a better representation level for the readers. It is not integrated with solutions such as Confluence or Jira. This is something that is missing in this solution.

Because it is oriented on architecture, it is not convenient to use this information for the presentations to our clients.

They also have a cloud-based deployment solution and it has a bit more capability to communicate to clients and to the sales team.

We have been using Sparx System Enterprise Architect for approximately 10 years.

We are using version 14 or 15.

It is difficult for us to judge the stability because it is open for us in Europe and spread between two cities, Paris and Amsterdam.

We don't have a strong demand to have a highly scalable solution for building enterprise-related activities.

We have 50 users in our organization who are using this solution.

We may be increasing our usage, as we have had many acquisitions and have more people than we need.

We are not acquainted with any other solution.

If you are talking about Enterprise Architects, the initial setup is quite simple.

We want to keep all of the information inside our own infrastructure. We have our own data centers and for now, we would like for it not to go into cloud deployment.

We had help from the vendor for the implementation.

Pricing is open information.

They have the price on their site for the enterprise version, and we do receive a small discount.

We are doing some slow research in the direction of switching to another program. For this year, it's not in the roadmap, but I will approve that for next year because we really want to consider some alternatives.

For example, solutions like LeanIX have more capabilities for integration between different levels of data representation. We can integrate the system with Confluence, and it can integrate with Jira.

What other advice do I have?

We have been quite happy for a number of years, but it has several drawbacks. We are considering an alternative. We are not looking to get rid of this solution but use another product and use them both for a while.

I would rate Sparx System Enterprise Architects a seven out of ten.

Product Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
    Helps in centralizing the data and is affordable, but it can be improved in the areas of shared documentation and shared environment
    • "Artifact templates are most valuable."
    • "It can be improved in the area of shared documentation. The idea is that the architecture tool can call back to an enterprise asset, pull that information, and link that as a sub-artifact."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for enterprise architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps in centralizing data or putting our data in one place.

What is most valuable?

Artifact templates are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Shared environments are a little bit tricky. Looking at it from an enterprise perspective, there should be a much better shared environment. I've got multiple people in different business units. Once I model an object, others should be able to reuse that same object multiple times. Currently, it's a lengthy process to set that up from scratch.

I last used it six weeks ago. Before that, I used it for about a year.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have a really small team. I've got three licenses that we're using, and it's all on the desktops.

I haven't yet interacted with them.

We used to use MagicDraw, and the switch was due to cost. MagicDraw was about $32,000.

Its initial setup was straightforward. In terms of the implementation strategy, our organization doesn't have a lot of architects. This is the beginning of doing this the proper way. There is not really a plan in place. We have just put the software in place, and I have started to collect information and put it into the tool.

I've installed it on a local machine. We could also install it on the server. It has fairly low complexity. It comes with the binary. You just install it.

We implemented it ourselves. We had only one person for this.

We have not yet seen an ROI. It's too early.

It's affordable. The only additional cost that we haven't yet figured out is the floating license. If you buy a floating license, you have to have a license management server, which comes at an additional cost that's not discussed. So, we haven't yet used the floating license. That’s because I haven't had a chance to figure that out.

I had a long list. I had about 15 different enterprise-grade architecture tools. I got a bunch of them off the PeerSpot site.

What other advice do I have?

When using this product in a shared environment, in terms of multiple different aspects of the business, it's not really tied together well at the top or out of the box. It takes some configuration. So, you need to understand how to use shared resources to build architecture so that if you are doing architecture on one object inside the enterprise, somebody else should be able to recreate it independently. What you do should be available to those who need to model it.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Muhammad Ashfaq - PeerSpot reviewer
    IM Consultant at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Rich functionality and good support, but is lacking in automated check-in and check-out options
    • "It is a very rich tool in terms of the functionality, and the types of diagrams, that you can create in this tool."
    • "For data modeling, it is not very mature when comparing with other data modeling tools."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for data modeling, data warehouses. We build the data models in the tool.

We are creating models, and working on workflows for creating the data models. There will be other teams that will change or modify them.

We are looking to have a process where other teams can change the data models and then their changes will be reviewed by the owners. Those are the workflows we are looking to link by using Sparx.

What is most valuable?

It is a very rich tool in terms of the functionality and the types of diagrams that you can create in this tool.

It gives us many options to create many other types of diagrams.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the workflows, we were initially thinking of having something automated where you have the options to check-in and check-out your data models. This would mean that you can get your data modeling changes reviewed by some of the team members.

The option to check-in and check-out option is not available in this tool. We are doing the steps manually to run the workflow that we defined.

Even with the changes that the other team members will make, the owners of these respective areas will have to manually identify those changes and then merge them back to the enterprise models. That is what is lacking with this solution, that we have seen so far.

In the next release, I would like to see an automated way to check-in and check-out your data models and with the review process, where multiple people can make changes to a model, and with the workflow, everything will be automated where the data models can request someone to review the modifications. This would be everything that is needed in the next release.

We just started using this tool a couple of months ago.

So far, the technical support has been great.

Support is a part of our license agreement.

They have helped us with setting up some of the initial support and workflows and that was very good.

Previously, I worked with IBM data modeling, called Data Architect tool with a different company. My experience with Erwin was brief but not very extensive.

When I changed jobs, we were evaluating other data modeling tools and finally chose the Sparx Enterprise Architect.

I wasn't a part of the initial setup.

We had the help of the Sparx Enterprise consultants to set up this solution.

I am using Sparx as a client or a user of the tool, and as a user, I had to install the Sparx client on my machine. That was simple enough.

The configuration on these client machines is easy.

The licensing is not as expensive as some of the other data modeling tools such as Erwin.

What other advice do I have?

Other than the manual steps we have to take, the product is pretty fancy and gives you a lot of options. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

FileMaker Developer, Agile Software Quality Analyst, Consultant, Trainer & UML / BPMN Modeller at ICONIX
    We can simulate scenarios and create workflow descriptions, but it should be more interactive and user friendly
    • "The Business Process Modeling or BPM part is the most valuable. Its ability to simulate scenarios is also very useful. It can also create descriptions of the workflows. It has a feature in which if you create some BPMN process, a workflow diagram, and the description inside, you can actually simulate the whole scenario, and you get the description. That's very handy."
    • "The Business Process Modeling or BPM feature can be improved to make it more interactive and user friendly because it is a tool for technical people. My current use is only for business process modeling notation and putting in the icons etc. You need to take them in as a class, which makes things very complex. Because of this complexity, it is not an easy-to-handle solution. Enterprise Architect is not very good for mockups. We cannot create user screens and other similar kinds of stuff, which is bad. For these things, we prefer to use Axure RP and other similar solutions. They should either remove this feature from this product or provide some kind of connectivity with Axure RP so that people can do better mockups of screens and import them. They need to augment and strengthen the BPM feature, which is the main feature. They need to put in some elements like artificial intelligence and augmented reality. They should look into such features because these things are coming up."

What is our primary use case?

When I'm developing some of my applications, I collect the requirements from the customer and understand the workflows for different scenarios. I then model the workflows as the point of reference for the development team.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows some kind of reverse engineering, where if you have a database or some different languages, you can reverse engineer and get the diagrams, which is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

I started using this solution in 2003 when it was version two.

It is quite stable.

It is quite scalable. I didn't have any need to involve 30 or 40 technical business analysts or users. We had just a few users because it is used during the business analysis and design phase. Every team can use its own installation.

It is hard to access those people. You can get in touch only through email. The same problem is there with Visual Paradigm. They are also accessible only through email. I would rate their support a five out of ten.

There were two products, which were very popular initially. One was STP that was developed by people who started the object paradigm and human modeling. Rational Rose was the other one, which was taken away by IBM, and it was lost. After that, many other tools appeared.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is very easy to install.

What other advice do I have?

It is really good if you want to develop workflows. It is not good for data modeling. For data modeling, Visual Paradigm is better.

I would rate Enterprise Architect a seven out of ten.

Download our free Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022