Darshil Sanghvi - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Easy to set up with good pricing and a variety of security features
  • "It's a very cost-effective solution."
  • "The stability could be a lot better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use TZ300 for our branch offices.

What is most valuable?

The price of the solution is great. It's a very cost-effective solution.

There are a lot of security features - including Capture Client, URL filtering, content filtering, application filtering, et cetera, and they are all very useful in terms of protecting our company.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The stability could be a lot better. The SonicOS, which we were using, was not that stable. Sometimes it is not performing as expected as per the policies we have set.

The log, the logging capabilities, are not so good. For example, the logging for traffic logs was not being stored properly. The logging must support some storage space. If there is a storage device or storage mechanism within it we would be able to get the log easier.

We've been using the solution over the last 12 months or so. It's been a while.

SonicWall TZ
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We haven't found the solution to be very stable. t doesn't operate as we expect it to sometimes. We'd like it to be better, performance-wise.

We currently have 20-25 users in our branch offices. We started with 15 users and therefore we scaled up a bit, however, not in a massive sense. At this point, we likely won't scale anymore.

We have been in touch with technical support and I would say that they are responding fine. We are happy so far with their attention. Occasionally we deal with stability issues and we find that they respond quickly.

The initial setup was not overly complex or difficult. It's very straightforward. The whole setup is pretty plug-and-play.

The pricing is very reasonable. It's quite cost-effective. We purchase a license that renews yearly.

We did previously also look at Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners and resellers. I'm a consultant.

I'd advise new users that if they are planning to deploy it for their SMB or have up to 100 users, then they should go with the SonicWall firewall.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

AlaaMady - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Good pricing, simple to set up, and has helpful technical support
  • "It's a stable solution."
  • "Getting support can be slow."

What is most valuable?

It is an easy solution to set up.

It's a stable solution.

Technical support has been helpful.

The price is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't have great scalability.

Getting support can be slow.

The proxy feature is not so good.

They need to work on word filtering and also the SD-WAN.

With FortiGate, they provide an NAC solution. They provide FortiClient, which is an advanced feature. SonicWall doesn't provide NAC solutions, and even their SSL VPN client is not advanced.

I've been working with SonicWall since 2015 - almost seven years.

The solution has 98% stability. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

We have about 1,200 users on the solution. It's deployed to different departments and branches.

It's not really scalable. Not like FortiGate.

Technical support is knowledgeable, yet they are not fast. To be honest, they are good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

In my organization, I'm working mostly for some other companies. I'm using different firewalls - except Forcepoint. I'm not working with Forcepoint right now, however, in terms of other products, I'm working with them.

The initial setup is very easy. It's not overly complex.

Two people handled the deployment. It took about half a day. It was a very fast setup.

For a small and medium implementation, it's quick, however, for an enterprise, it takes some time to configure the policy for the company.

I handle the deployment process for my clients. We use an internal team. We didn't open a case with SonicWall. If we face a problem, we open a case with them.

We've seen pretty good ROI so far.

The licensing is yearly based or three years. Their price compared to others is good.

What other advice do I have?

We're end-users.

I'm not working on the latest version of the solution. I missed one or two updates.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd recommend the solution to others.

SonicWall TZ
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ArunKumar1 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Good support, very stable, easy to use, and useful for viewing network utilization
  • "Most of the features are useful. It is easy to configure and easy to troubleshoot. I can see the utilization of different networks, and there are also App control features."
  • "FortiGate has a client DNS in the firewall, but SonicWall doesn't have that. To create or configure a site-to-site VPN tunnel, we have to give a DNS name. Currently, we have to get the DNS name from a third party and then include it in SonicWall, whereas FortiGate has its own client DNS, so it provides a DNS name, and it does not require a third party. There should be a graphical option to view the network utilization and bandwidth usage."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple branches, and we have configured SonicWall VPNs for branch-to-branch connectivity through IPSec. I am also restricting websites to protect us from hackers, torrents, games, and other such things. I am using SonicWall TZ 400 series.

What is most valuable?

Most of the features are useful. It is easy to configure and easy to troubleshoot.

I can see the utilization of different networks, and there are also App control features.

What needs improvement?

FortiGate has a client DNS in the firewall, but SonicWall doesn't have that. To create or configure a site-to-site VPN tunnel, we have to give a DNS name. Currently, we have to get the DNS name from a third party and then include it in SonicWall, whereas FortiGate has its own client DNS, so it provides a DNS name, and it does not require a third party.

There should be a graphical option to view the network utilization and bandwidth usage.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. We have 100 users of this solution. We might increase its usage in the future in about eight months.

Their technical support is good. They are very helpful. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We were using ESET Antivirus for endpoint security. For firewalls, we were using FortiGate and MikroTik firewalls. FortiGate is fine, and it is helpful and easy, but MikroTik is not. It can't stop attacks from hackers.

In addition to SonicWall TZ, we are now using Cloud App Security from SonicWall for endpoint security, and we have Email Security from SonicWall for emails. In addition, we are using Capture Client from SonicWall for endpoint protection. All these solutions are very helpful, easy to configure, and easy to troubleshoot.

It was straightforward. It took five to ten minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to keep using this solution. We have recently renewed our license, and we don't have any plans to use any other solution.

I would rate SonicWall TZ an eight out of ten.

Antonio Galvao - PeerSpot reviewer
CIO at ENGEREDE SOLUÇÕES EM TI
Reseller
Good central interface and solid security features.
  • "We like the central interface and we like the security features. Additionally, we use SonicWall with VPN connectivity and we have had no problems with SonicWall all these years."
  • "I would like to see a SonicWall integration with the DLP tool, this would be interesting. Data Loss Prevention integration."

What is our primary use case?

The purpose of SonicWall is as a unified threat management appliance. We use SonicWall to protect our customers from cyber threat.

We have SonicWall in customer's on-premises environment and we have SonicWall in cloud data centers.

What is most valuable?

We like the central interface and we like the security features. Additionally, we use SonicWall with VPN connectivity and we have had no problems with SonicWall all these years.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see a SonicWall integration with the DLP tool, this would be interesting. Data Loss Prevention integration.

I have been using SonicWall TZ for about 10 years.

SonicWall TZ is a stable solution.

In terms of scalability, we have to choose the right model according to the customer, their company's size, and according to the internet link capacity. Also according to the quantity of user parameters and the user quantity. The number of users and the link capacity are two parameters to define which SonicWall model is appropriate for that company.

They have a good technical support. I have no problem with them.

It is easy to set up SonicWall. It just depends on the scope of the project.

To set up for initial use takes about two hours. We start with the basic configuration and that is enough to start using SonicWall. After that, we do the more complex and detailed configuration of the security features.

Since we can deploy SonicWall in two hours with the basic configuration, we do a fast start because my users are starting to use the web and receive emails. After that, we do the next steps of the complex config for the more detailed secured configurations.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SonicWall to other companies for their security, for the end customer and for security companies, to use as a UTM appliance.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate SonicWall TZ a nine.

Balaji Desai - PeerSpot reviewer
Head Information Technology at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly, reasonably priced, and good threat prevention, but the technical support needs improvement
  • "The most valuable feature is the user-friendly navigation."
  • "The VPN that is available in the new version is a bit bulky and slower in speed."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to protect all of the internal users from cyber attacks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user-friendly navigation.

What needs improvement?

As compared to other firewalls, they should provide an unlimited number of users for the SSL VPN.

The VPN that is available in the new version is a bit bulky and slower in speed. It should also be easier to use.

The SD-WAN feature should be enhanced, similar to Fortinet FortiGate.

I have been working with this solution for six months.

We have just upgraded TZ to 350.

We are not able to use the VPN. It has limitations. It comes with a certain number of users and we have to spend a lot for VPN accessibility.

The technical support is not very good. There is a facility called Geofencing where you can block IP addresses or certain countries.

When contacting their technical support, the technical support said that such a facility is not available in this firewall.

Another issue we had with technical support was when we wanted all of our VPN users to be migrated from our old firewall to this firewall, but somehow, technically they failed to do it. We had to configure it manually.

The technical competency of technical support is a bit on the lower side.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have two engineers to maintain and deploy this solution.

The price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

If it is used for internal users, it is very good as a firewall. But if it has to be used for VPN, it will be a bit costly and the VPN may be bulky.

Using the VPN is not recommended, but as a firewall for blocking threats, it's good.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a seven out of ten.

Roy Haddad - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at FOXMINDS Solutions LLC
Effective content filtering, interface easy to navigate, and excellent customer support
  • "The most valuable features have been content filtering, and the interface is easy to navigate and to use."
  • "The log sections could be done more clearly."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for internet access, content filtering, point-to-point tunnels, and bandwidth management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The log sections could be done more clearly.

I would like there to be the ability to manage content filtering on a per-user basis or by using the application as we normally would for all users. Currently, it is applied to a group of users and I do not think it is reliable or performing as good as it should.

I have been using this solution for approximately 12 years.

I have found this solution reliable and stable.

The solution is scalable. Our client's user usage sizes vary. We have clients with five to 200 users using the solution. The number of connections is not limited and there is always room for expansion.

The technical support is excellent.

We previously used Microsoft before SonicWall. We switched because this solution has more features, such as embedded content filtering.

The initial setup is easy.

If you are not using a vendor or implementation team it can take a maximum of three hours for a medium-size company of 50 users.

The price is fair for the solution for the quality you receive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it is easy to use and the configuration is simple.

I rate SonicWall TZ an eight out of ten.

Jefferson Monfardini - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Director at BRASP
Excellent protection, secure VPN connection, that is simple to install, and reliable
  • "The most valuable feature is content filtering and app control."
  • "The reporting analytics could be improved, it is very unstable."

What is our primary use case?

I am a SonicWall certified professional, and my company has SonicWall MSP, as well as projects, security, and limited protection.

I am a reseller, as well as a Silver partner.

SonicWall TZ is primarily used by the NSA to secure internet network and products.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is content filtering and app control.

I like to security with integrated thread prevention and SD-WAN.

What needs improvement?

SonicWall has many problems with the reporting analytics.

The reporting analytics could be improved, it is very unstable.

I have been using SonicWall TZ for approximately nine years.

SonicWall TZ is a stable solution.

It is a scalable product.

There are approximately 1,000 users among all of my customers.

I am an MSP SonicWall provider and about 50 SonicWall solutions spread across many customers, each with 10-100 users.

We intend to increase our usage because, in Brazil, we have a lot of problems with viruses, crypto viruses, and trojans. We can offer them security.

The initial setup was straightforward and simple.

It took approximately two hours to deploy the initial setup.

It can be deployed very quickly both on the cloud and on-premises.

I have a team of ten technical professionals to maintain and deploy this solution.

Licensing fees are on a anual or monthly basis.

There are no additional costs. It is only about support and license fees.

What other advice do I have?

SonicWall is a good product that I enjoy using, and the security is superior to that of other security companies. It provides excellent protection.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a nine out of ten.

Head of IT at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
Protects the business from being compromised
  • "It does exactly what it says on the tin. It is good for protecting the business from being compromised. Its port protection is very good."
  • "It could probably be more user-friendly, and it could be more scalable with releases and subscriptions."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for protection. We're about two versions behind the latest version.

What is most valuable?

It does exactly what it says on the tin. It is good for protecting the business from being compromised. Its port protection is very good.

What needs improvement?

It could probably be more user-friendly, and it could be more scalable with releases and subscriptions.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

Its scalability is not bad. It could be more scalable with releases and subscriptions.

We have about 200 users.

I never needed their support.

I can't remember the old solution we had, but it was no good. So, we went to SonicWall.

It was a long time ago. From what I recall, it was pretty straightforward.

For deployment and maintenance, we have a technical team of around five internal people.

We have to pay yearly. Its licensing can be improved, and they should provide more features, such as AV, email filtering, and so on with the basic subscription.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of products out there, and I don't have that much experience with any other product. If I have to buy a new product, I would probably review and do a comparison with SonicWall.

Overall, I don't have any issues with the product. I like this product. It is very good. I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022