MTS - Core IP Engineering at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Provides ease of management, reduces provisioning time, and is straightforward to deploy
  • "The availability and ease of use are the big features."
  • "Larger capacity and more storage ports would be the two things I'd like to see."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for block storage workloads. We don't use a lot of the features on it.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced provisioning time. There is ease of management.

What is most valuable?

The availability and ease of use are the big features.

What needs improvement?

Larger capacity and more storage ports would be the two things I'd like to see.

Pure Storage FlashArray
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Pure Storage FlashArray. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with this solution for about three years.

It has been really stable.

That's the only feature that isn't as good. It doesn't scale as large as some of the competitors, but they have started to make them bigger.

We probably have a dozen or so admins who use it, including me. I take care of its maintenance. It is pretty light in terms of maintenance.

It is being used extensively. We'll be increasing its usage. I'm on the networking side. Our IT group is a pretty heavy user too. Both of us will be increasing its usage, but their scale is a little bit bigger than ours.

I would rate them really high. On a scale of one to five, I'd give them a four.

Dell EMC and NetApp would be the two big ones that we used before. We switched because of the cost and the ease of use. Those are the two big ones. In terms of the cost, a lot of it was just introducing a second vendor.

Its setup was really straightforward. It took about half a day. It is pretty quick. All the cabling and facility stuff is usually the longest part.

We had the vendor do most of it. It is like a team, and there is usually one installer guy. Our experience with them was great. Our account team with them is really good.

What other advice do I have?

Its setup is easier than you think. It is a pretty straightforward deployment.

They have been correcting a couple of things. One of them was that they didn't really scale that large. So, we had to deploy a lot of arrays. They have started to make them bigger now. In addition, until recently, they didn't do a file on the FlashArray. Now, you can share files on it. They recently implemented that, but we haven't tried it yet.

I would rate it a nine out of 10. It does everything we wanted to do.

Oleg Gussar - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Administration Group at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helpful support, feature rich, and highly stable
  • "The most valuable feature of Pure Storage FlashArray is the complete set of functions it provides."
  • "The price of Pure Storage FlashArray could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use Pure Storage FlashArray for databases.

How has it helped my organization?

Pure Storage FlashArray has helped our organization because it effectively (price/performance) stores databases and we do not need an every day/detailed  administration.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Pure Storage FlashArray is the complete set of functions it provides.

What needs improvement?

The price of Pure Storage FlashArray could be better.
I don't think NEW features are needed. And I want to point out that the Pure team regularly updates the functionality.

We have been using Pure Storage FlashArray for approximately three years.

Pure Storage FlashArray is highly stable. If we experience any issues the support resolves the issue immediately.

The scalability of Pure Storage FlashArray is good. We are able to upgrade changing disks and controllers and it is simple to do.

The technical support from Pure Storage FlashArray is perfect. If we have some trouble or we need to change something, we need to ask for support and they are helpful and answered immediately.

I rate the technical support from Pure Storage FlashArray a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I previously used IBM, HDS, LSI Storages.

The initial setup of Pure Storage FlashArray was simple. The process took approximately one week.

We did the implementation of the solution ourselves and when we had some issues we contacted the support for assistance.

All vendor support engineers are good qualified. In case of escalation it was quick and effective.

The cost of the array includes the cost of the basic functionality. The Evergreen support includes free upgrades. This is not an inexpensive solution, you need to understand the value of your data before you buy it.

We evaluated Dell, IBM, HP, and Huawei solutions before choosing Pure Storage FlashArray, which was the best (3 years ago!).

What other advice do I have?

We are wanting to expand and we are looking at other solutions currently, such as Huawei, which is a very good solution from China. However, the documentation can be difficult to understand and their support was not very good but they successfully try to improve it now.

I rate Pure Storage FlashArray an eight out of ten.

Pure Storage FlashArray
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kobus Almon - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technology Officer at perfekt
MSP
High performance, efficient deduplication, and maintenance is not difficult
  • "The most valuable feature of Pure Storage FlashArray is the all-flash storage performance, low latency, and efficiency of their de-duplication technology. Additionally, the ease of use is good compared to other storage systems. The features in data protection, snapshotting, and replication between data centers and sites are superior to other solutions."
  • "Pure Storage FlashArray could improve the recent file storage capabilities because it is lacking a lot of features."

What is our primary use case?

Pure Storage FlashArray is used for hosting applications, such as Vmware, HyperV, and virtualized applications.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Pure Storage FlashArray could improve the recent file storage capabilities because it is lacking a lot of features.

The integration with other vendors, such as antivirus and security vendors they are lacking.

I have been using Pure Storage FlashArray for approximately seven years.

The stability of Pure Storage FlashArray is good.

Pure Storage FlashArray is scalable.

I have used the support from Pure Storage FlashArray.

I rate the support from Pure Storage FlashArray a nine out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of Pure Storage FlashArray is very simple and it takes four hours for a new system.

Pure Storage FlashArray is not difficult to maintain.

My customers have received a return on investment.

The price of Pure Storage FlashArray could always improve. They are still more expensive than some alternative offerings. Cost is always a concern and when there is a battle they tend to be more expensive.

There are no licenses outside of the storage. When you buy the solution, you receive all the software capabilities and license with the box.

One of the advantages of Pure Storage FlashArray to other solutions is the Evergreen Program. The program allows you to never have to purchase storage that you already purchased again. For every terabyte that you purchase, you don't have to purchase it again, they will replace it. As you maintain the solution, even if the old storage becomes at the end of life, it will replace with newer technology as part of the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is they should try the solution, it works well.

I rate Pure Storage FlashArray a nine out of ten.

CIO at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Speedy monitoring, top level support, and high availability
  • "The most valuable feature of the Pure Storage Flash Array is the blazing fast monitoring."
  • "The price of the solution can improve."

What is our primary use case?

Pure Storage Flash Array is used for data storage.

How has it helped my organization?

Pure Storage Flash Array has helped my organization by having the ability to have access to our data immediately.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the Pure Storage Flash Array is the blazing fast monitoring.

What needs improvement?

The price of the solution can improve.

I have been using Pure Storage Flash Array for approximately seven years.

Pure Storage Flash Array is highly stable.

The scalability of the Pure Storage Flash Array is good and it is easy to do.

We have approximately 2,000 users in my enterprise that are using the solution. The whole company is using the solution.

The support from Pure Storage Flash Array is amazing. I have never seen a vendor support a product this well. They knew challenges even before my team was able to figure them out.

We were using another solution previously and we switch to Pure Storage Flash Array because we wanted the latest and greatest solution.

The initial setup of the Pure Storage Flash Array was of a medium range of difficulty. It was not easy or difficult. The full deployment was not very difficult.

I rate the initial setup of the Pure Storage Flash Array a two out of five.

We use a consultant from Pure for the implementation of the Pure Storage Flash Array.

We have seen a return on investment from using Pure Storage Flash Array.

The price of the Pure Storage Flash Array is too high and there needs to be more contact clarity. We went with the Evergreen plan and I don't have clarity on what am I supposed to pay each year or every three years. There was not much contract clarity.

We evaluated every solution at the time before we chose Pure Storage Flash Array.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to evaluate the Pure Storage Flash Array. Do a proof of concept if you can it is a fantastic solution.

I rate Pure Storage Flash Array a ten out of ten.

Animesh Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
Professional Test Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Has good integration and migration features, compression ratios, and controllers
  • "We're getting good performance, and the compression ratio is also very good in Pure Storage FlashArray."
  • "I think replication is one area that still needs improvement. Earlier, Pure Storage FlashArray only had IP-based replication. There was no API-based replication, but they have enhanced the feature now. However, they need to work on API replication for C-type of arrays."

What is our primary use case?

We use Pure Storage FlashArray in a couple of backup products. Our DDP offerings, data platform offerings, is where we use Veritas with Pure Storage FlashArray. Then, we use the Pure Azure Service model with the secure multi-tenancy features. Pure Storage FlashArray can be managed centrally.

In individual file cases where most customers were looking for performance-based, minimum latency applications, we have deployed Pure Storage FlashArray.

What is most valuable?

The integration and migration features have been really good.

It has an Evergreen model and always maintains the controllers, so the controllers never let you down.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if Pure Storage FlashArray gave a library-type access.

Maybe, small box releases could be utilized for backup purposes such as Data Domain offered by other vendors.

I've been using Pure Storage FlashArray for the last two and a half years.

We have deployed it both on-premises and on hybrid cloud environments.

As for stability, Pure Storage FlashArray is definitely a reliable solution.

It can be easily scaled. I work with over 500 customers who use this solution.

The technical support is awesome, and there's a lot of documentation available online.

The initial setup is very easy.

My organization has a yearly license, but I believe that Pure Storage FlashArray has capacity-based licenses as well. I'm definitely happy with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I think with other products, there are issues with support systems and warranty features. Even the maintenance cost can be very high. In comparison to those products, Pure Storage FlashArray is very good.

Overall, Pure Storage FlashArray has never let us down in front of customers so far, and I would rate this solution at eight on a scale from one to ten.

GianpaoloMazzola - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Deployment at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Fast performance, good read-response times, and all of the features are included
  • "This is the best all-flash storage array on the market."
  • "This product has only two active controllers, whereas other solutions can have more. This is something that needs to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Pure Storage FlashArray is one of the products that we implement for our customers. I have installed three of them in the past month.

The primary use case for this product is high-performance storage.

What is most valuable?

This is the best all-flash storage array on the market. They were the first brand that provided access directly from CPU to memory to disk.

What needs improvement?

The Pure Storage FlashArray is very stable.

This is a scalable product but not as much as the Infinidat InfiniBox. That solution is more expandable.

I have approximately 20 years of experience with enterprise solutions. These include various hyper-converged systems, all-flash storage systems, business continuity, and disaster recovery solutions for data assurance.

My experience is with products from a lot of different vendors. These include IBM, Dell EMC, Pure, Infinidat, and others.

The best features come included without any additional cost.

The InfiniBox is more expandable than Pure FlashArray. InfiniBox is more for big data than the Pure product.

The suitability of this solution depends on the customer's environment. Depending on the use case, we propose the right product. Pure Storage is not better than InfiniBox and InfiniBox is not better than Pure Storage.

In comparing products, I would rate Pure FlashArray an eight out of ten, InfiniBox a seven out of ten, Dell EMC products receive a six out of ten, and all of the other all-flash storage systems that I have experience with would be rated a five out of ten.

With PowerMax, there is a big difference in cost when you start adding more features.

The Pure Storage solution has only two active controllers and one passive controller. InfiniBox has three active controllers, and PowerMax can have up to six active storage controllers.

What other advice do I have?

General Manager at PRACSO S.R.L.
They have a complete replication set, including near-zero RTO and zero RPO
  • "I like FlashArray's ActiveCluster as well as its snapshot and cloning capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We use FlashArray for proofs of concept and to bring the clients our infrastructure to test them. We have six clients using the solution. Most of them are using the ActiveCluster configuration.

What is most valuable?

I like FlashArray's ActiveCluster as well as its snapshot and cloning capabilities. The performance is extremely good. They have a complete replication set, including near-zero RTO and zero RPO. FlashArray integrates with all the new microservices technologies. It integrates with many products like Oracle, Cisco, Veeam, and Rubrik.

I've been using FlashArray for four years.

FlashArray is highly stable. We don't have very many tickets in our support system. The non-disruptive upgrade works fine. We did a lot of this work for our clients without any problems. The flash disks are solid. In fact, we have very few issues with this infrastructure.

Scalability doesn't require much work. The expansions are immediately used. We install more disks, which are automatically assigned to the volumes and the files.

Pure support is very proactive. They monitor our infrastructure in real-time, so they respond before we even open a ticket.

Deploying FlashArray is fast and straightforward. We can deploy the infrastructure in half an hour, but installing all the other things takes about two hours to provide the disk to the host. We don't need any help. We integrate the infrastructure with other vendors like Cisco, Veeam, Microsoft Hyper-V, etc., and it works fine. We only need one engineer to deploy FlashArray, but we have three Pure-certified engineers on our team.

Pure Storage doesn't have licenses. You buy the hardware, and all the software is included. The price of FlashArray is very competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Pure Storage FlashArray 10 out of 10. If you are considering FlashArray, you can try and buy. Most clients who try the solution ultimately buy the product.

Enterprise Account Executive at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Reliable and user-friendly with good technical support
    • "It's just very easy for general block storage."
    • "The file functionality could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for general block storage. Usually, the storage product owners are the users.

What is most valuable?

It's just very easy for general block storage. Generally, the ease of use is what customers comment on. It's very user-friendly.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

Scalability is possible. You can expand the solution.

The stability and reliability are great.

Technical support has been helpful in general.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs an integrated NAS platform, file platform. The file functionality could be better.

I've been dealing with the solution for a couple of years.

The solution is stable and reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We find the product to be quite scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

The solution is extensively used. Likely usage will increase in the future.

Technical support is great. They are helpful and responsive. We're quite satisfied with the level of support they offer customers.

I used to work with Hitachi and switched to this product for ease of use and for performance.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex.

The actual startup and deployment take about half a day.

From an ROI standpoint, if you consider compression and de-duplication and all that, you get a pretty good ratio.

The pricing of the product is very competitive to others in the market for Flash and NVMe storage. That covers the cost of hardware and support.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller.

I'd advise potential users to try it out and consider it as an option.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten based on the overall performance, scalability, and reliability.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Pure Storage FlashArray Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022