Operations Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides reporting functionality, resource metrics, and the ability to automate and do some balancing
  • "I have the ability to automate things similar to the Orchestrator stuff. I do have the ability to have it do some balancing, and if it sees some different performance metrics that I've set not being met, it'll actually move some of my virtual machines from, let's say, one host to another. It is sort of an automation tool that helps me. Basically, I specify the metric, and if I get a certain host or something being over-utilized, it'll automatically move the virtual machines around for me. It basically has to snap into my vCenter and then it can make adjustments and move my virtual machines around. It also has some very nice reporting tools built around virtual machines. It tells you how much storage, memory, or CPU is being used monthly, and then it gives you a very nice way to be able to send out billing structure to your end users who use servers within your environment."
  • "It sometimes does get false positives. Sometimes, it'll move something when it really wasn't a performance metric. I've seen it do that, but it's pretty much an automated tool for performance. We've only got about 500 virtual machines, so lots of times, I'm able to manage it physically, but it's definitely a nice tool for a larger enterprise that might be managing 2,000 or 3,000 virtual machines."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using this solution to get performance stats outside of my vCenter environment.

What is most valuable?

I have the ability to automate things similar to the Orchestrator stuff. I do have the ability to have it do some balancing, and if it sees some different performance metrics that I've set not being met, it'll actually move some of my virtual machines from, let's say, one host to another. It is sort of an automation tool that helps me. Basically, I specify the metric, and if I get a certain host or something being over-utilized, it'll automatically move the virtual machines around for me. It basically has to snap into my vCenter and then it can make adjustments and move my virtual machines around.

What needs improvement?

I've been using Turbonomic for about three years.

IBM Turbonomic
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM Turbonomic. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I haven't had a problem yet with an update. I've updated it three or four times over the last two years, and the machine has been stable. I haven't had any crashes. It has been doing as what's expected, and upgrades are pretty straightforward.

They do the upgrades quarterly, but I really haven't seen any bugs out of it that I would report back in. They're pretty sufficient at doing their beta testing before they release a major release. I usually wait about a month until they've released a major release.

It probably does have a lot of scalability. I'm a pretty small shop compared to some of the users who use this product, but I'm sure it scales out. From what I can tell, no matter how much I grew, it would still scale to my environment. Now, I can't speak about somebody who has 10,000 virtual machines out on the cloud and things of that nature, but it does allow me to facilitate cloud virtual machines outside of my environment if I had any.

I've had to deal with them probably mid-summer just with a couple of questions, and they were very responsive. I have no issues with them. I usually get a call back for assistance within an hour.

We really didn't have another product. We were licensed for vRealize, but we never actually spun it up, and then we saw Turbonomic. Our big reason for going for it was a lot of reporting functionality and the resource metrics that I can pull back to be able to bill customers. vRealize and Orchestrator are okay, but they don't have a lot of billing functionality in them to create reports and send automatically to end users or to do things of that nature. The management feature was nice, but the biggest reason for purchasing it was its ability to run reports and run billing outside of our VMware environment.

It was very straightforward. It was basically just an OVA appliance that I brought up, licensed, and then gave it permission to be able to talk to my vCenter. Boom, everything was out there and running. You could actually write custom reports in it and do things of that nature. Its setup was very easy.

There are only a couple of us who actually handle the updates. It is mostly used by my network administrators. There are about ten of us who actually use the tool to make adjustments in our VMware environment. It's pretty much just my VMware administrators who utilize the tool.

It was an annual buy-in. You basically purchase it based on your host type stuff. The buy-in was about 20K, and the annual maintenance is about $3,000 a year.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to others depending on what their need is and the size of their environment. I like what I've seen at this point, but it might not be the perfect fit for certain environments, but I would recommend it.

They constantly have quarterly webinars for their new releases, new functionality, and some of the new things they're doing. They do four major upgrades per year, but I probably use the tool to about 30% of its capacity. It probably has a lot more whistles and bells that I haven't even taken advantage of.

I would rate Turbonomic an eight out of ten.

Richard-Romeo - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Helped us build our entire migration effort, enabling us to show clients the savings migration will generate
  • "The feature for optimizing VMs is the most valuable because a number of the agencies have workloads or VMs that are not really being used. Turbonomic enables us to say, 'If you combine these, or if you decide to go with a reserve instance, you will save this much.'"
  • "They have a long road map when we ask for certain things that will make the product better. It takes time, but that's understandable because there are other things that are higher on the priority list."

What is our primary use case?

My main purpose is to provide an assessment for clients, agencies, or the government to help them understand their workloads and what it would take for us to do a migration of their workloads, before we do it. I generate a report based on the client's existing on-prem workloads, and see how Turbonomic optimizes everything and how things would look once they are migrated to either Azure or AWS. I review that report and all the possible savings if they move their workloads to the cloud.

It's deployed on-premises, but we have been using it for public and private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides visibility and analytics at the underlying infrastructure stack level, in the way I use it. That is key. That's what differentiates between an agency saying, "Go ahead and move our workload because we see the value," or "Just decommission everything and we'll find an alternative to keep our workloads going." Most of my discussions are around trying to get things from on-prem to the cloud, and Turbonomic has been very helpful with that.

The visibility and analytics help bridge the data gap between disparate IT teams. They give us a central point around which we can sit down and discuss the savings and how we would actually move the workloads, based on how workloads are truly running today on-prem. That is very important because we want to show the client savings and help them to optimize their workloads, whether a system is on-prem or in the cloud.

In addition, the visibility and analytics have helped reduce our mean to resolution when it comes to identifying places where we can optimize things and getting that to the customer as soon as possible. Instead of having to search and discover all the infrastructure and calculate things based on usage, I have a single pane of glass with Turbonomic. I can look at the graphs because the data is already there.

The solution gives us a single source of truth for application performance management. That is vital because when we migrate workloads for any client. I've been doing migrations for almost eight years now, moving people from data center to data center, and workloads from data center to data center or to the cloud. One of the key factors in doing that is a single point of truth. If you don't have that, you repeat work. You don't know what's truly correct and the migration could fail.

Turbonomic also gives us the ability to review reports with our clients on a monthly basis. It makes us look good. It shows that we're being proactive and that we're looking ahead to ways we can help our clients optimize and save money. And if we're saving them money, they're happy.

From a performance standpoint, we know before we move workloads that we have optimized the performance for that workload. That means that when we migrate it, it shouldn't be a problem. In all the migrations we've done, performance hasn't been a problem, based on the performance readings we got from the Turbonomic reports.

In addition, it helps us meet our SLAs. When many workloads were running on-prem, we could not track our SLAs as well as we can now, thanks to tracking things with Turbonomic in the cloud.

Overall, from our organization's standpoint, the solution has helped to build our entire migration effort. Our migration team can follow a single path and understand how to present the data to our clients and help them in moving from one point to another. It helps the engineers to focus on issues and it really helps them do their migration prep. The smoother the migration prep, the smoother the actual migration will be.

What is most valuable?

The feature for optimizing VMs is the most valuable because a number of the agencies have workloads or VMs that are not really being used. Turbonomic enables us to say, "If you combine these, or if you decide to go with a reserve instance, you will save this much." That feature gives you an estimate using, for example, a Microsoft cost model, to show clients how much can be saved.

Another key aspect that I really like about Turbonomic is the user interface. It gives you a visual representation of where there might be issues. That stands out. When I'm looking at resources for migrating different workloads, if something is shown in red, that identifies a risk. If it's a risk where it's currently running, it's definitely going to be worthwhile to migrate it. It helps us to mitigate that risk before we do the actual migration.

What needs improvement?

They have a long road map when we ask for certain things that will make the product better. It takes time, but that's understandable because there are other things that are higher on the priority list.

I've been using Turbonomic for a little over two years.

The customer support is definitely a 10 out of 10, and the training gets a 10-plus.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner
IBM Turbonomic
November 2022
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1550322 - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
User
Good support, has improved our efficiency, and has a helpful planning tool
  • "The automation and orchestration components are definitely the best part, as you can tell it what it can do and when, and just let it be."
  • "Some features are only available via changes to the deployment YAML, and it would be better to have them in the UI."

What is our primary use case?

We looked to this product to help us to right-size our virtual machines and containers. Most people who request virtual machines tend to request more resources than they need, and most of the time it's hard to prove that they don't.

Our environment is entirely on-premises. We have virtual machines and Kubernetes running on some of those VMs. We also have plans to go to the cloud with some workloads in the future, so it's good to have this tool to help get the sizing just right when the time comes to pull the plug.

How has it helped my organization?

Turbonomic has been helping us use our resources more efficiently, the challenge we currently face internally is getting people to allow the servers to be turned off to make the changes recommended.

I also like the planning tool, which is helpful to make sure we have enough capacity for failing over one datacenter to the other in case of disaster, while still maximizing what we already have and helping to keep us from making host purchases we don't need yet. It's nice not having to make all those calculations on my own.

What is most valuable?

At the moment, I have only really had the opportunity to manage virtual machines with it.

We're starting to let it look at our Kubernetes workloads as well.

The automation and orchestration components are definitely the best part, as you can tell it what it can do and when, and just let it be. However, I haven't reached that point yet. That is the plan for the future though.

I really like the planning tool so I can make sure we have enough resources for upcoming projects that require servers, while still having enough resources for our disaster recovery failover needs.

What needs improvement?

The reporting feature could be made a little more seamless with the rest of the tool. It would be nice to be able to share and print the reports a little more easily.

The upgrade process is a bit tedious, but I know the team is working on that.

The ability to set the scope at the dashboard level and let it flow down to all the widgets you add would be amazing. Having to select the scope per widget is a bit tedious.

We have been using Turbonomic for just under a year.

It is pretty stable, we have not had issues with that.

Turbonomic seems scalable to me.

Technical support is where Turbonomic shines.

Lots of features are still in the works but the company really makes sure you have a lot of attention and support after the sale, which is sometimes hard to get. Most of the time, once a vendor has your money, you never hear from them again. However, I have had a great experience with post-sales support and a lot of hand-holding.

It is really well done on their part to make their customer happy.

We did not use a similar solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

Deployed was completed in-house.

We have no ROI so far.

It's worth the time and money investment if you can afford it.

We evaluated VMware vROps before selecting Turbonomic.

Tjeerd Saijoen - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Rufusforyou
Reseller
Excellent optimization feature and integrates almost automatically with other products
  • "The solution has a good optimization feature."
  • "Additional interfaces would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented this solution in our company and we also implement it for our clients. We use it because it connects to monitoring tools over APIs and if you have a monitoring solution, it removes data intelligently. Our aim is to optimize our customers' systems. The solution also offers insight into the financial impact of an event. We are partners with IBM which purchased Turbonomic earlier this year, and we are resellers of Turbonomic. I'm the company CEO/CIO.

How has it helped my organization?

The help desk analyzes metrics events and Turbonomic tells you exactly what is wrong and how to resolve it. The solution improves the function of the help desk and saves time by making repairs quickly.

What is most valuable?

Optimization is a valuable feature. For example, if I have eASICs running and several VMwares running, it shows me how to optimize the system and get the best out of it. It reduces the cost of the two systems. I like that the solution integrates almost automatically with other products.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by having all interfaces together and I'd really like to see more interfaces.

I've been using this solution for two months.

We haven't had any stability issues, the solution is running well.

Scalability is fine. We're using the product extensively with deployment of almost 54,000 systems. We receive a lot of alerts from those systems and do a lot of monitoring, so it's used constantly.

The technical support is now done by IBM.

The initial setup is very straightforward. You execute an application or a script, depending on whether you're running it in Linux or Windows, and then you deploy the containers. It's pretty much one command and then everything is automatic. It took us about 20 minutes.

We already had a good return in the first couple of weeks.

Licensing costs are middle of the road; you need to take into account what the solution delivers to the customer. If it's running automatic remediation then it saves a lot of money for an organization.

What other advice do I have?

This tool is excellent for a CFO, while other tools are geared more towards a CIO. This tool has a different market. We're currently working in Europe, carrying out implementations in both Italy and Portugal, and we're starting on a new deployment project in Dubai next week.

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner & Reseller
Chris Childerhose - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
ExpertTop 5

What is our primary use case?

Turbonomic keeps our cluster balanced and VMs running optimally. It shows us where in our environment that resources can be recovered as well as when extra is needed.

How has it helped my organization?

Monthly reporting is more detailed now and we can see where improvements can be made within the environment.

What is most valuable?

The ability to automate moving of VMs, Capacity Planning and Reporting have been invaluable to our monthly reporting.

What needs improvement?

None at the moment.  The product is improving with each release and the new HTML5 interface is great.  Would like to see the ability to move custom dashboards from the old interface to the new as that is not possible right now.

Three to five years.

Product has been very stable and updating works very well.

No issues with scalability as the VM when deployed is provisioned well for your environment.

Customer Service/Sales I would rate as 10 out of 10. Sales was tremendous in helping me sell the solution to Management for purchasing.

Technical Support has not been engaged as of yet.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Other solutions were evaluated during this time, but nothing was being used.

Setup is very straightforward and you have data within hours, not days or weeks.

It was implemented in-house by myself.

ROI will be approximately six months once we receive our license for the full product.

Contact Sales about pricing and licensing as they will work with you on the best solution.

Yes, other solutions were evaluated: vCOPS, Uila, and Opvizor.

What other advice do I have?

The sales team was amazing in helping put together a slide deck for me to sell the solution to Management and also were able to negotiate pricing within our budget to help get us on-board.

Other
Chris Childerhose - PeerSpot reviewer
Chris ChilderhoseLead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
ExpertTop 5Real User

Nice review. We too use Turbonomic in our environment for automation machine moves mainly. I also use it extensively for the Planning module when projects come up requiring more VM additions to the environment. It let's me see a report in minutes versus days with the old spreadsheet method. Great product and support all around.