We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Principal Network Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Intuitive solution with comprehensive features and an extensive threat database
  • "FortiGate-VM has many valuable features: it's easy to use, it's intuitive, it's got very good traffic inspection features, it's got comprehensive filtering categories, and it has an extensive threat database, using FortiGuard."
  • "FortiGate-VM could be improved by making it cloud-based. I'd like it to be a cloud-based management solution instead of just a dedicated management orchestration tool."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for advanced security in the cloud, as well as SD-WAN and branch connectivity. We use version 6.4 and are just now moving to 7.0.

What is most valuable?

FortiGate-VM has many valuable features: it's easy to use, it's intuitive, it's got very good traffic inspection features, it's got comprehensive filtering categories, and it has an extensive threat database, using FortiGuard.

What needs improvement?

FortiGate-VM could be improved by making it cloud-based. I'd like it to be a cloud-based management solution instead of just a dedicated management orchestration tool.

I have been using FortiGate-VM for five years.

Personally, I like Fortinet support. I know other colleagues and people think it's slow, but I don't.

I used FortiGate for 10 years. I also have experience with Azure Firewall Premium, Cisco ASA, and Cisco Firepower.

The installation is really easy. There's HA deployment in the marketplace involving Azure and AWS. I handle the installation myself.

I implement this solution myself for customers.

There are yearly or monthly licenses which you can choose from.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiGate-VM an eight out of ten. I recommend this solution to others. There's a use case, like any cloud-based firewall.

We're an MSP, so we sell, configure, and manage these solutions for customers.

VINAY GUJARATHI
Owner at Mindware Computer Solutions
Reseller
A scalable security solution with a valuable network security feature
  • "The most valuable features are network security, VLAN, network protection, and encryption are very valuable to us."
  • "Integration could be better. Whatever devices I'm using with FortiGate are all compatible. The access points and switches are also FortiGate, so I can easily integrate them. But it would be better if we could embed other devices as well. There are compatibility issues with other brands, and we need that. We can only integrate universal brands with FortiGate. The initial setup could also be easier."

What is our primary use case?

We installed Fortinet FortiGate-VM for security purposes. Our main motivation is for security reasons and improving networking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are network security, VLAN, network protection, and encryption are very valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be better. Whatever devices I'm using with FortiGate are all compatible. The access points and switches are also FortiGate, so I can easily integrate them. But it would be better if we could embed other devices as well. There are compatibility issues with other brands, and we need that. We can only integrate universal brands with FortiGate. The initial setup could also be easier.

I have been working with Fortinet FortiGate-VM for three years.

It's stable, and our customers aren't giving us much of a problem.

Our customers are very happy with its scalability.

Technical support is good. However, we're not satisfied with partner support, and we're looking to diversify. We have signed up, and we're training our engineers.

The initial setup is a little complex. Not too complex, but it's good because we like to work. It takes half an hour at most to install and deploy this solution.

We're a reseller, and we implement this solution.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiGate-VM an eight.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator, reseller
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director at REDCO
A flexible solution
  • "FortiGate integrates well."
  • "New versions are complicated with a big configuration."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of FortiGate, but also a customer. I have configured it in my office. Our primary case use includes equipment installed with customers.

What is most valuable?

We have Fabric Security that integrates with other FortiGate family products like firewalls and switches. This means that we don't need to buy other licenses and it's easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

With every new version, there are issues and new parts due to the improvements. But the improvements are not always easy for the customer, especially when making a big configuration. Rather than being an improvement, it becomes more complicated.

We have been using FortiGate for almost 12 years.

The support is fine now, however, our last purchase was not as good. They have changed their situation and improved support again.

I had used Sophos UTM, the Endpoints, Access Points, and XG for two years in my office. We switched because of FortiGate's service and because it is a more flexible solution.

Installation does not require another license so it is inexpensive and easy to configure.

Sophos has a nice interface and is easy to configure. The XG products are good and so are the endpoints. Sophos access points and on-premise are not good.  Sophos also doesn't have enough support to get into the console. Sophos has a Linux box, which is easy to try to resolve most issues, but Sophos support is not good.

Director Of Technology at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Flexible pricing, versatile, scalable, stable, and the support is good
  • "It is very versatile."
  • "It has a monitoring tool, but it could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiGate-VM may be installed on Azure or AWS.

You can either install it in your data center alongside your virtual applications or put it in the public cloud to secure it.

What is most valuable?

It is very versatile.

What needs improvement?

More monitoring should be included with Fortinet FortiGate-VM, in my opinion.

It has a monitoring tool, but it could be improved.

We have been selling Fortinet FortiGate VM for at least 12 years. It could be 15 years because it has been exclusive since the beginning.

It's available both on-premises and in the cloud.

It's a stable product.

Fortinet FortiGate-VM is very scalable because you can use Fortinet FortiManager.

We have a big team of many people.

Technical support is good.

With Fortinet FortiGate-VM you can bring your own licensing, or it can be paid on a yearly basis.

Pricing is very flexible.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend this solution to others.

FortiGate Cloud and FortiGate-VM are the same product.

FortiOS is the operating system on FortiGate.

Fortinet has a very large product portfolio. You have the VM, and you have physical appliances for Firewalls.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate-VM a nine out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Creative Head/Director at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
A stable solution with good technical support, easy installation and ease of use, but the GUI features could be better
  • "The technical support is very good."
  • "The solution should provide more useful GUI features."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for creating IPsec tunnels and web and application filters. We use it for monitoring virtual traffic on platforms including VMware solutions.

What is most valuable?

I only know a little bit about the solution's firmware.

This said, the solution is stable and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The solution should provide more useful GUI features. This would prevent us from having to resort to CLI or certain basic commands.

There should be an IPsec failover.

We have been using Fortinet FortiGate-VM for around four years.

The solution is stable.

The technical support is very good. It does not need to be improved.

The installation is very easy and user-friendly.

We have two teams, involving PLM managers, whose sole job is to support the customers.

We pay for a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

We deployed the solution in a vCenter, using VMware. We do so solely on cloud.

We have around 10 clients who are making use of on-premises deployment.

We usually recommend SonicWall and Sophos in place of the solution since, with this IPsec solution, if one configures to an HPE with the IPsec failover, it fails to work.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate-VM as a seven out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Straightforward and easy to manage
  • "I've found the UTM features and the SD-WAN to be most valuable."
  • "The operating system isn't stable, so it goes to memory counters every night."

What is our primary use case?

The majority of my use cases are firewalls and SD-WAN.

How has it helped my organization?

Most customers are moving to SD-WAN, so with FortiGate-VM, when solutions are traditional WAN, limitations have been addressed by the SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

I've found the UTM features and the SD-WAN to be most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The operating system isn't stable, so it goes to memory counters every night.

I've been using this solution for around ten years.

This solution isn't very stable with the new operating systems compared to the old ones.

FortiGate is scalable.

I've previously used Sophos, Palo Alto, and Check Point. We switched to FortiGate because it's straightforward and easy to manage and also has co-costing for customers.

The initial setup was straightforward, and I'd rate my experience as four out of five. Depending on the environment, deployment takes between two to three months.

I would rate the ROI as four out of five.

Licensing is usually on an annual, two-year, or three-year basis. I would rate the product's pricing as four out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I'd give this solution a rating of nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Navin Rehnius
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good dashboards and simple deployment
  • "The dashboards are a good feature."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this product is as a firewall. We are partners of Fortinet and I'm a security engineer.

How has it helped my organization?

In our organization, Fortinet is one of the trusted partners. We have offered the solution for a medium-size entrepreneur

What is most valuable?

The dashboards are a good feature and the deployment is simple.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could be improved. I'd like to see the security platform upgraded.

I have Started learning and deploying FortiGate for 12 months.

The solution is looking stable as per knowledge

This solution is flexible and scalable.

They need to improve the technical support.

I have worked with checkpoint. And that solution is also good.

It is straightforward for deployment

Fortinet is competitively priced, it's cheaper than Palo Alto and Check Point.

We are the technologies partner so we have recommended the solution by customer dependence upon their use cases

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and would rate it a seven out of 10.

Other
SaifKhan1
Network Security Engineer at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
Overall simple to use, reliable, and useful VPN tool
  • "The most valuable features we have found to be the VPN, ease of use, and overall simplicity."
  • "Web filtering is a feature that needs some improvement. There should be some additional features to allow active users to change their own passwords."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for IPS, internal segmentation, inspections, and VPN.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features we have found to be the VPN, ease of use, and overall simplicity.

What needs improvement?

Additionally, the secure web gateway and the inspection feature need more security improvement in the next release.

I have been using the solution for approximately one year.

The solution has been reliable in my experience.

We have approximately 250 users using the solution in my organization and we plan to increase usage.

The technical support has been good.

The solution is easy to install.

We are on an annual license for this solution and it could be cheaper.

Previously we evaluated other solutions, such as Check Point and the Palo Alto firewalls. This solution is easier to understand than the others.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. Especially if they are new to these types of solutions, it is easy to understand.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate-VM an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Fortinet FortiGate-VM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.