We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Information Security Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and setup but could use more documentation and true layer-7 protection
  • "I have worked on some of the largest and smallest solutions that Fortinet sells and they all scale really well."

What is our primary use case?

We use FortiGate-VM to access clients' networks. These are generally Azure cloud environments in which we set up resources for clients to use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable FortiGate-VM features are the ease of use and setup.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, FortiGate-VM is a little different to set up than other firewalls that I've managed. It would be better if it was just a little more mainstream. Some more documentation would be nice as well. Documentation has always kind of been our problem with FortiGate-VM.

There's a lot of stuff I like about FortiGate-VM, but like I said, we still do a lot more Palo Alto firewalls than anything because they have true layer-seven attack prevention. FortiGate-VM does have that too, but it doesn't work as well. I would like to see more layer-seven functionality and expect to realistically block things at the top level.

We have been using this solution for two years.

FortiGate-VM is stable. They have been okay for everything that I have done with them.

The initial setup is straightforward and only takes hours to deploy.

We implemented FortiGate-VM in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you're on the latest stable versions when you update code and stuff like that. That's one of the things that we've had some issues with in the past.

Microsoft Azure
Cyber Security Engineer at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Useful web proxy and gateway functionality
  • "The most valuable features are the web proxy for protection and web gateway for deployment."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see integration capability with SIEM tools, such as QRadar, and LogRhythm."

What is our primary use case?

I am a design engineer and we are designing a security operation center for data censoring in Turkey.

We are using FortiGate to protect more than 3000 end users.

More than one gigabyte per second bandwidth is necessary. FortiGate was quite useful for this scenario, but we are just in the planning and analyzing phase. The tender should be in the near future.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the web proxy for protection and web gateway for deployment.

What needs improvement?

Pricing should be more competitive, it's expensive.

In the next release, I would like to see integration capability with SIEM tools, such as QRadar, and LogRhythm.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

This solution is stable.

From the datasheets that I have read, I can see from its specifications that it is scalable.

In this project, we have more than 3000 end users. Most of the users are security admins and security engineers.

I have not contacted technical support.

The price is similar to Symantec Endpoint, but it's more expensive than Forcepoint solutions. Fortinet is better than Forcepoint.

I don't see that it's a problem concerning the pricing, but it is expensive for Turkey.

We do not pay any additional costs for technical support or additional features.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using Fortinet, especially its web security proxy and web security gate because it is quite useful for them.

I would suggest this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager, Infrastructure Support at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with a straightforward setup, but needs a better user interface
  • "The stability of the solution is good. We haven't faced any issues at all while using the product."
  • "The user interface needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are using the solution as a configuring solution or data management. We use it for simple data center segmentation.

How has it helped my organization?

We got a PCL segmentation instance that has been replaced with a virtual instance. This has benefitted our organization by quite a bit.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspects are IPS and the signature.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any specific features that are missing from the solution right now.

The user interface needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for about six to seven months now.

I haven't attempted to scale the solution, so I can't speak to how easy or hard it would be to expand it.

In our organization, we currently have 500 users on the solution. They're mostly end-users and admins.

We were previously using Palo Alto before we switched to Fortigate. We switched after seeing the solution on a commercial.

The initial setup was not complex. The implementation proved to be straightforward.

The project took about one week in total, including deployment and configuration.

There was only a single person needed to handle the deployment process.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I only really use the solution for communication and ordering support.

We don't have a business relationship with Fortigate. We're just a customer.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Real time threat intelligence in a virtual form factor
  • "The initial setup is very user-friendly."
  • "With FortiGate, we sometimes encounter bugs in various operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the use cases that we have are SD-WAN and perimeter firewall related.

Our clients are mostly small to medium-sized businesses. We also have large enterprise clients that range from 1,000 to 8,000 users. We haven't planned to increase the usage, but we are currently using Fortinet FortiGate-VM for perimeter firewalls and SD-WAN for our branch offices.

How has it helped my organization?

FortiGate-VM is easier to deploy than physical solutions that require you to have an RNE as then you need to wait a couple of days or months for another physical appliance to be delivered. With VM, if we already have available servers in the network, we can just deploy FortiGate.

What needs improvement?

With FortiGate, we sometimes encounter bugs in various operating systems. Also, sometimes the security policies are hard to apply specifically when it comes to web filtering.

We've been using FortiGate-VM from the moment I began in my company. So that was two years ago.

This solution is very stable.

The technical support for FortiGate-VM is the same for the physical VM — they're very responsive.

The initial setup is very user-friendly.

For FortiGate-VM, we mostly have UTP Bundle. MA is for three to five years, but we just discovered that VM is cheaper; we found that it actually costs more than a physical appliance excluding the servers for the platform.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

João Garcia
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable and scalable; great web filtering
  • "It's almost perfect. It's very stable. We don't have many hardware issues."
  • "The user interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have many Fortinet use cases in Brazil. One particular use case could happen at a high school; they want a new firewall and high availability to their students to access the internet. They want a secure way to connect to the internet. We are proposing FortiGate 200TF.

What is most valuable?

One of the most important features is web filtering. They can block certain types of websites. This is good for in-school security. I believe this is the most important but all of the other filters are also very important, including the antivirus and antispam inspection.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, but as a firewall, it's the best product we have.

It's almost perfect. It's very stable. We don't have many hardware issues.

It is a scalable solution. For example, in one use case, we have 500 students using the solution. Two technicians are managing the solution, which one software person designed. On the customer end, they need a person overseeing the security.

Their tech support is very good. We always get good answers from Fortinet tech support.

We recommend that the FortiGate logs be analyzed using FortiAnalyzer, which is a Fortinet tool for generating reports. We also advise customers to implement user passwords for all students so they can track which student accessed which website, or which student has been on their email. It's a form of protection for the school. If the school has any issues, they can prove the origin of it.

Shaik Sayeed
Information Technology Solutions Manager at UBG
Web filtering and IPS functionality are key advantages
  • "Web filtering and the IPS functionality."
  • "VM should be more optimized."

What is our primary use case?

We provide Fortinet services to our clients, sometimes on-prem and sometimes on cloud.
We are a system integrator which makes us a partner of Fortinet. I am an information technology solutions manager.

What is most valuable?

I like the web filtering and I like the IPS functionality.

What needs improvement?

Data reporting could be improved and also in terms of performance, some improvement should be made on VM, it should be more optimized. Scalability of the solution could also be improved.

For an additional feature, Fortinet should add more SD-WAN with caching as a special functionality. It should be integrated with Fortinet.

I've been using this solution for five years.

Stability is good enough. It's not that problematic for now.

Scalability is a problem because the solution is VM. As a VM, you cannot have much scalability.

The Fortinet technical support is generally good. There are times when we don't get an immediate response and it requires escalation but that's all.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment time depends on the case but can normally be done anytime from two hours to two days for it to be functional.

What other advice do I have?

FortiGate-VM would be for more like a cloud or on-premise SMB environment. And for anyone wanting to scale-up and get big performance, it should be used as a physical appliance.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

CISO at a religious institution with 501-1,000 employees
A scalable solution that protects our mobile users
  • "The thing that I like the most is that they're very willing to work with us to resolve issues that they haven't taken care of before in their product."
  • "There should be integration with an active directory — with Microsoft."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate-VM as a firewall, for intrusion detection and prevention to protect our Azure data center, principal operation sites and our mobile users.

What is most valuable?

The end-user protection suite is very good, including the log analysis feature that they now have.

What needs improvement?

There should be integration with Microsoft Azure active directory.  The rules base for data center access must correlate with the group membership of the users to be granted access to systems and services.

We have used the Fortigate solution for 2 years and the Forticlient is soon to be rolled out to our mobile users.

Fortinet FortiGate-VM is very stable.

The technical support is very good.

We previously used CheckPoint.  Though a good solution, the license costs became too high for our organization and obliged us to look for another option.

Be very clear with your security consultant who is proposing Fortinet as a solution regarding all the features and integrations you expect to achieve with the solution.

Yes, we reviewed Palo Alto, Barracuda, and Sophos

Private Cloud
Principal Network Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Intuitive solution with comprehensive features and an extensive threat database
  • "FortiGate-VM has many valuable features: it's easy to use, it's intuitive, it's got very good traffic inspection features, it's got comprehensive filtering categories, and it has an extensive threat database, using FortiGuard."
  • "FortiGate-VM could be improved by making it cloud-based. I'd like it to be a cloud-based management solution instead of just a dedicated management orchestration tool."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for advanced security in the cloud, as well as SD-WAN and branch connectivity. We use version 6.4 and are just now moving to 7.0.

What is most valuable?

FortiGate-VM has many valuable features: it's easy to use, it's intuitive, it's got very good traffic inspection features, it's got comprehensive filtering categories, and it has an extensive threat database, using FortiGuard.

What needs improvement?

FortiGate-VM could be improved by making it cloud-based. I'd like it to be a cloud-based management solution instead of just a dedicated management orchestration tool.

I have been using FortiGate-VM for five years.

Personally, I like Fortinet support. I know other colleagues and people think it's slow, but I don't.

I used FortiGate for 10 years. I also have experience with Azure Firewall Premium, Cisco ASA, and Cisco Firepower.

The installation is really easy. There's HA deployment in the marketplace involving Azure and AWS. I handle the installation myself.

I implement this solution myself for customers.

There are yearly or monthly licenses which you can choose from.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiGate-VM an eight out of ten. I recommend this solution to others. There's a use case, like any cloud-based firewall.

We're an MSP, so we sell, configure, and manage these solutions for customers.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Fortinet FortiGate-VM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.