We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Manager-Information Technology at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Simple to use with good standard features and a straightforward setup
  • "The standard features, including the filtering, are quite good. All the basic features are pretty useful for us."
  • "We haven't attempted to scale the solution just yet. If we want to scale this solution we may have to look at other models. With certain requirements, we probably wouldn't be able to scale it so well as it is right now."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution on the VPN box as a perimeter firewall. We use it to secure internal networks and a few servers. Our network is solely on Fortigate.

What is most valuable?

The standard features, including the filtering, are quite good. All the basic features are pretty useful for us.

It's very simple for us to use.

It's very similar to SonicWall.

What needs improvement?

There isn't anything in terms of features that we find are lacking. We don't see any places on the solution that don't cater to our requirements.

I would like to see VNX security and WildFire. Those features I would like to see on the solution in the future in order to be able to evaluate it further.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is pretty stable.

We have about 2,000 people using the solution. Most of the people using it are software developers.

The technical support has been very helpful. We've been satisfied with the level of the support we get.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. We didn't find it complex at all.

We had partners that assisted with the implementation.

I'm not aware of the specific costs involved in the licensing of the solution. I don't know that prices are competitive enough compared to other vendors.

We did evaluate other options, including Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Network Security Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
A simple solution with very fast response time
  • "I find the simplicity to be most valuable."
  • "The graphical user interface should be enhanced."

What is our primary use case?

The majority of the government sector prefers using the solution as an external firewall and most of the customers prefer that it be one layer. It's good for use as a preemptive firewall.

What is most valuable?

I find the simplicity to be most valuable. The solution is very simple to manage and to use effectively. It has a very fast response time. There is no need to make improvements to it whatsoever.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface should be enhanced. While the antivirus profile can be implemented very easily with the graphic user interface, there are many important features that cannot be undertaken without the CLI command like signature, such as extending a  database. One cannot do a graphical user interface for this and CLI command must be employed instead.

All hidden features related to CLI should appear as a graphical user interface.

I have been an integrator for Fortinet FortiGate-VM for a couple of years.

The solution is really stable and the connection with FortiGate is very good, as is the solution.

The solution is scalable.

Fortigate has its own systems and provides the services that are related to the priority of the ticket. They provide the tickets for groups, say... one through four and have their own metrics for how they manage these tickets. As such, I consider Palo Alto to be faster and more professional.

Template or marketplace on Azure can be employed. The credentials one will select while doing the deployment can be used in respect of VM with Fortigate.

Similar to Palo Alto, we have our own license and we're working on this. The customer must buy his own license.

What other advice do I have?

Just like with Palo Alto, all products are deployed on the cloud.

We have a large number of customers who are making use of the solution, south of 30. Those in Qatar opt for the solution because of its comparative cost effectiveness. It is not only cheaper but also good.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate-VM as an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Analyst at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A complete solution with great features and good firewall capabilities
  • "The product can scale."
  • "The log settings and filters could use some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for firewall purposes.

What is most valuable?

The firewall capabilities are great.

We like the EPS antivirus.

It's quite a complete solution. The features on offer are good.

We find the solution to be stable.

The product can scale.

What needs improvement?

We occasionally have issues when we are doing firmware updates.

The log settings and filters could use some improvement.

I've been using the solution for ten years. It's been about a decade.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs. It's not glitchy. I can't recall it crashing or freezing. It offers pretty good performance.

We have found the scalability to be very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 500 users on the solution right now.

Technical support has been fine. We have no complaints. They are pretty helpful and responsive.

We only use Fortigate. We don't use any other solution.

We only have one person for deployment and maintenance.

It took us only two days to deploy it with our desired configurations.

I am able to set up the solution myself. We did have a reseller who assisted us as well.

We currently have a three-year licensing agreement. There are standard features and you do not have to pay extra fees for extra add-ons.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Fortigate.

I would advise potential new users to check the compatibility of the UTM firewall, of the rules of your organization. It's not magic. It's hard work implementing that.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been pretty happy with its capabilities.

Microsoft Azure
Ranjit Kumar Sriramoju
Tech Security & Networking Support Lead at a venture capital & private equity firm with 51-200 employees
Feature-rich, reliable, easy to scale, and has good support
  • "The most valuable features are the IPS and Antivirus."
  • "It needs an Application Inspection."

What is our primary use case?

FortiGate is an Exhibition Firewall that comes with the Antivirus, IPS, and Web Applications

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the IPS and Antivirus.

The firewall functionalities are fine.

It has a lot of features.

What needs improvement?

It needs an Application Inspection. The threat landscape is very high. Anyone can exploit the flow-based policies. It is always better to have intern-based policies.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate-VM for more than two years.

We are using the latest version.

Fortinet FortiGate-VM is a reliable product.

It is easy to scale this solution, but there are some challenges with Azure and high availability.

My experience with technical support was good.

We are also using Palo Alto.

The initial setup was simple.

We don't require a lot of maintenance. Most of the maintenance is carried out by Microsoft.

It is a custom operating system that is available on FortiGate Firewall, and Palo Alto Firewall.

Microsoft doesn't do anything in terms of upgrades of the patches. They only do basic maintenance at the host level and the VM level.

We only have one person managing the device.

We were able to complete the installation on our own.

Pricing is somewhere in the middle. It's a mid-ranged product.

There are additional fees with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a stable firmware, with many releases. It has a lot of features. Apart from the firewall, it comes with antivirus, IPS, and Web Application Firewall.

It has a lot of integration with external connectors, such as Teams, that are protected from threats that come from external sources.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate-VM an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Luis Corpus
Senior Network Engineer at SONDA
Reseller
Stable with good pricing but needs a better interface
  • "The interface is decent."
  • "The solution could use very well-defined support for resellers."

What is our primary use case?

I occasionally implement Fortinet for clients.

In the most recent instance, we had a cloud implemented and I was driving the infrastructure. The client had separate areas inside it purposely. They needed to implement a FortiGate solution in the same client, with different VMs, for different clients, to make different areas for these clients.

What is most valuable?

It's great that we can have separate services for the same client.

It's a complete solution. You only need to deploy it once. You can have many clients and many services for these clients in the same VM. It's a solution that works very well for companies that may need separated sections.

It makes things less expensive for clients. The pricing is good.

The interface is decent.

Technical support has a lot of knowledge.

The initial setup is simple.

The solution is stable.

It can scale well.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use very well-defined support for resellers. There isn't necessarily 24/7 support and resolution.

The interface could be improved.

The product could have more protocol routing options.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

If you need to scale, this is a good option.

The technical support is pretty good. We are quite satisfied with the level of service on offer.

The initial setup process is very easy and straightforward. It's not difficult or complex.

We only need three people for deployment and maintenance. It's not a solution that requires a big team. You might need one or two field engineers.

What other advice do I have?

I'm working in a Fortinet partner company. I'm a reseller.

I'm dealing with the latest version of the product.

I like the 100F version, and it may be a good option for most clients, however, it might not be right for every company. It's a good idea to figure out what you need before you decide to avoid purchasing something that's not right for your company's needs.

IT Support Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Gives us strong security and is well-tailored to our organization's needs
  • "The best part about FortiGate-VM is its strong security."
  • "One thing that can be better is added automation. And, on top of that, enhanced security when it comes to the automation itself."

What is our primary use case?

We are using FortiGate-VM for the protection of our internal network and also for VPN services. Right now, there are about 200 end users in our main office and in other business units we have an additional 100-200 end users. We have about five different firewalls, yet almost all of our units are using FortiGate-VM. So, in total, we have about 500-600 users.

What is most valuable?

The best part about FortiGate-VM is its strong security. Besides that, it's nice that there are different models for different sizes of businesses. For example, there are models tailored to enterprise companies and small organizations, and the model that we are using is perfectly suitable for our usage.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate-VM for five years.

I think it is stable.

I am impressed by its scalability, given that we are already using it for over 500 users. And, in future, we plan to increase usage even more.

We have used Palo Alto before, but we switched because at that time Fortinet was more scalable and there were more options available.

I also use Sophos Firewall, though not within the organization, but rather just for small business or personal use.

Currently, we only require the services of three engineers and administrators on our technical team when it comes to deployment and maintenance.

The license we pay is a yearly fee. I can't say it's very expensive; it is a good price and is highly suitable for our usage.

What other advice do I have?

FortiGate-VM is a good solution, and I would say one of the best solutions on the market.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Information Technology Manager and ISMS Auditor at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to use with a straightforward installation and good performance
  • "The performance overall is very good."
  • "There should be a bit more automation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the firewall capabilities and security.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use. It's not overly difficult.

The product is quite stable. We didn't have any issues related to stability at all.

The performance overall is very good.

The installation process is straightforward.

The pricing is okay.

We've found the scalability to be good.

What needs improvement?

There should be a bit more automation.

There could be more integration capabilities.

Technical support could be better.

The solution needs more features surrounding event log management.

We used the solution for three or four years.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable and the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is quite scalable. If a company needs to expand the solution, it has the capabilities to do so.

We have about 500 people on the solution currently.

We've since moved away from the solution to a cloud-based product. We don't intent to increase usage for that reason.

We would like the technical support to be slightly improved. We aren't completely satisfied with it at this time.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It's very straightforward. It's simple.

I can't recall exactly how long the deployment process took.

We had two technicians that handled the implementation. It doesn't take a lot of people.

We found the pricing to be okay. It's reasonable and not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We were customers and end-users of the product. That is no longer the case.

We've moved off of the product recently. We wanted a cloud-based option and therefore we switched.

Overall, I would recommend the solution. I would rate it at a ten out of ten.

Celal Ã?NALP
Director of Information Technology at KOTTO A.Ş.
Easy to use and deploy with good performance and capacity
  • "The most valuables features are the ease of use and deployment."
  • "In the next release, we would like to see full integration with VMware NSX virtualized networks."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuables features are the ease of use and deployment.

It is easy to back up and easy to transport.

This is a flexible solution.

Our customers are happy with the performance and capacity.

The user interface is ok and we haven't had any problems with it.

What needs improvement?

The price of FortiGate-VM is high and should be more competitive.

In the next release, we would like to see full integration with VMware NSX virtualized networks.

We began working with this appliance about five years ago.

This is a reliable solution and we haven't had any issues with the virtual appliance.

This is a largely scalable and flexible solution.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

I have personal experience with Palo Alto, Check Point, pfSense, and SonicWall.

This solution is very expensive. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

I have tested virtual appliances from almost every vendor and the only ones that I can recommend are those from Fortinet. Many do not have the maturity or a proper licensing model, whereas others lack performance optimization for the virtual scenarios, and some vendors lack field engineering experience.

What other advice do I have?

Our customers for this virtual appliance are very happy with their deployments and I recommend it. This is not a perfect solution but we are not seeking one. Every product has room for improvement.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Fortinet FortiGate-VM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.